What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Kicked for not using Singularity

Comments

• Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    And are you kidding me? Ice Storm is terrible at the King Malabog fight. You want Oppressive Force and Ice Knife as your two dailies. Oppressive Force when the mobs are in front of you, and Ice Knife when the mobs are thinned out and you are only on Malabog, or if you are on Witch/Totemist duty.

And why would you use Ice Storm in the Fulmi fight???
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    rittzbitz wrote: »
    If I see a MoF CW or WK TR in my party I'll vote kick. I'd also kick a CW that uses Ice Storm.

It is a sad situation that this game is funneled into 1 or 2 armour sets and 1 path per class.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    It is a sad situation that this game is funneled into 1 or 2 armour sets and 1 path per class.

That's every game man. Every game has a maximized build for each class. (Now in some, lets use wow for example, a druid could tank, dps both spell and melee, and heal, and there were builds for each role.) It's not a matter of the game, it's a matter of the fact that people want to use the most powerful build possible. If you are trying to fight against that you are going against human nature.
  • Options
    chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    Okay, you can do that once. But then you have to build AP again, and that is tough to do when you are always dodging golem AOE (and boss AOE). That was the problem I had.

Well, sure, i'm not saying it's super easy or something. You obviously have to keep moving, but since I do draco so often i'm used to it.

A great spell in this situation is Icy Terrian. You can cast instantly, and it slows and DoTs everything, so as you kite your lifesteal goes tick tick tick.

Then if you have time, you can throw conduit on the golem/hirmnir and dot them. If you do happen to get out front enough then shard (into the crowd) or steal time works.

Quite honestly, just last night i soloed Idris - Epic (my party died at 95% of her HP) using the same technique, so it really does work. You just have to be very quick on your feet.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »

As i said, if anyone kicks me because I play MoF i will laugh at them all day long.

I've been playing a wisperknife in PvP, and I'm doing all right (even with almost no gear).

Quite honestly, it's the player guys. What I've noticed is good players play everything well.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    chemboy613 wrote: »
    What I've noticed is good players play everything well.

This is definitely true. I used to play the other dnd mmo, and I'd occasionally run into a player that I knew was very skilled running a build that made me go "Say what?". That player would always make me amazed by smashing content with builds that seemed on the surface to be significantly underpowered. A good player will smash content with any build.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    There is no doubt the MoF is extremely effective in the hands of a player that understands the build well. Many Cws in my guild and my friends have respected and in the few occasions someone pugs it normally starts "eeewww mof" and ends "oh! Now I see!"

Everyone says eye of the storm is great, and it is, clearly among the best class features out there, but what is misunderstood is that players inevitably hold their damage spells: shard, sudden storm and oppressive force. The fact people psychologically do this to maximize damage isn't a bad things, but it does change the rotation and timing of the skills.

While master of flame loses eye of the storm, it is replaced with critical conflagration, which is very different but almost as good. I think this class feature is something like 15% of my dps, which is a ton. The other thing is a freedom from eye of the storm, you just cast what is best at the moment without holding for eots to proc. it really changes play style.

As for other classes, I have yet to see a good wisperknife in PvE but that's because there are so few rouges out there.

I have seen gwf perform in basically and spec and eier paragon.

Dc is the same way. If the dc understands her feats well, I have seen both paragons and all three trees produce excellent dcs.

I think hr is the same way, while the mean skill level is low, people do whatever spec they have if the utilize it.

Even gf, I have seen them play well too.

It's the skill of the player plus the understanding of the spec that makes you effective. Not the spec itself.

Likewise, while gear matters a great player will play great at 12k or 16k. I have a second cw, 12.7k, no full hv, spell storm paragon, and she is still surprisingly effective...why? Skills.
  • Options
    nwodsolznwodsolz Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have to agree on the skill bit u mentioned.
    Reroll my cw recently, while I was gearing up having only 11 to 12 k gs, there are frequent cases of out dpsing 15k CWS.
    The timing, rotation, positioning is what set the differences.

Of cse I am not saying that a 11k cw will beat a 15 k cw. If both are equally good players the 15k cw will have an edge.
  • Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Everyone says eye of the storm is great, and it is, clearly among the best class features out there, but what is misunderstood is that players inevitably hold their damage spells: shard, sudden storm and oppressive force. The fact people psychologically do this to maximize damage isn't a bad things, but it does change the rotation and timing of the skills. .

That's actually surprising that people would hold their techniques for Eye to proc. I wouldn't.

I do hold techniques, but that's because I'm constantly assessing the battlefield and not thinking in terms of a single technique, but rather a combo of moves to be executed all at once to maximize the damage. I'm assessing the largest grouping of mobs, the area they're in, and how I can put them first in a combat advantage situation, then execute the largest batch of techniques to maximize the damage.

Then I teleport to that location, and execute a destructive series of techniques leaving very few of them left. So for me its not throwing out constant encounter powers,

its wait... ok there's my opening... BOOM... Singularity or Oppressive Force, Steal Time, Sudden Storm, Shards, Sudden Storm... and the field is clear.

Its more of the lighting strike philosophy. Wait for your opportunity, then strike all at once in a combo, putting the enemies in a combat advantage situation and amassing a large chunk of damage. Granted in a real target rich environment where theres just no shortage of mobs and they're flooding in by 10-20 at a time, you really don't have to wait for it. Just wade in and execute it.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Yeah I don't really wait for EOTS to proc either.

What I will do is, things like: if my daily is up, and I see that CoI cooldown is *almost* up, then I will wait maybe 1-2 sec to use CoI to debuff the mob before applying a daily like OF or IK.
  • Options
    pprandompprandom Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Monobuilds only benefit gold sellers, it makes the game boring and short lived for everyone; wich is a real pity.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I seriously don't recommend that unless you have the gear score to one hit things with it. The entire purpose of that is to keep all the mobs in the GWF melee pile so they don't get out of hand and the GWFs lose agro. Throwing them all over the field where they can't touch them will torque people off like there's no tomorrow.

Especially when the idea is keep everything in one spot so things don't get out of hand. So if you do that you better be one hitting them.

Oppressive Force yes possibly it doesn't move things that terribly far, and things will still run right back to the center, they're just not be able to attack because they're dazed, where they can still be slaughtered, then you can stun them and everyone will still be able to cut them to ribbons in a singular location. and everyone will still be able to focus fire on them.

Ice Storm errm erm no, not unless you have the gear score to one hit everything with it... it will torque off your party like theres no tomorrow and throw everything in every which direction possible... putting everything in 5 directions at once.... unless its a bunch of Rangers who just do it anyway with their own techniques, and don't have to worry about things in a tight group and don't care as they do that too which... annoys the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of the party.

I wouldn't even consider Ice Storm in Malabogs, really anywhere like that. It does the one thing you DON'T want it to do. Throw everything in 5-10 directions all over the field. Unlike OF which just gives it a little push... this one makes chaos of things throws things miles away, and in a bad way, not a good one.

Ice storm is a good daily, it's just people who actually don't understand how it works because they were told it was bad for the last 8 months. But it's not. Sometimes scattering things is the better strategy, it's faster (like for king malabog, just chain spread and stun to give room to melees to mindlessly dps the boss), and you do the damage of 5 ice knives when it's all you want. It's better if NPCs are immune but sometimes you also want to spread things and dps them like in ToS/syndrith.

If you use it in VT you hit valindra and the hand... Using ice storm is a no brainer. For fulminorax you hit valindra choking someone and the dragon... No brainer again. For the spider queen, you hit her for 50-70k and remove another 200k on surrounding mobs when she's eating them (they don't move, etc). No brainer again.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Ice storm is _huge_ damage - but it's target cap 5 and knockback... so use it when that doesn't matter.

Dio's ideas are good. It's just situational.
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Ice Storm is 100% part of that 'alternate play style' that can clear dungeons with a premade specific group. Since there is not a single instance in the game where knocking five targets backwards while dealing large amounts of damage is useful, I sincerely say that it is a fail power at the same level of useless as Furious Immolation. Even in ToS, knocking five targets backwards is simply fail when you could completely lock them down with daze or gather them for a nuke.

I mean, really, I can't think of a single instance or situation where I've thought to myself '<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, I don't have ice storm on my bar!' so how useful or niche is it really?
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    spacejew wrote: »
    Ice Storm is 100% part of that 'alternate play style' that can clear dungeons with a premade specific group. Since there is not a single instance in the game where knocking five targets backwards while dealing large amounts of damage is useful, I sincerely say that it is a fail power at the same level of useless as Furious Immolation. Even in ToS, knocking five targets backwards is simply fail when you could completely lock them down with daze or gather them for a nuke.

I mean, really, I can't think of a single instance or situation where I've thought to myself '<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, I don't have ice storm on my bar!' so how useful or niche is it really?

Ok let's make a nice picture for you: You use OF when there are a lot of blademasters/spiders/whatever. When there are less than 5 blademasters and when she's eating them, they don't move, Sing is so slow she will be done before you've pulled everything, so you just use ice storm. the AoE is huge and the damage impressive. OF would have been a waste in this situation because it does 3-4 times less damage.

Now maybe you don't feel the need to use it. Maybe because you never use it, and that's fine. I remember being one of the first players to use oppressive force in dungeons during beta, when everyone was obsessed about singularity. Now everyone uses that. You'll come to ice storm eventually because the add fest bosses more or less belong to the past now, unless you really insist on gathering what doesn't need to be gathered.

That doesn't mean it's the best daily spell ever, but it's definitely worth having it and even though it's situational, sometimes, it's optimal.
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Ice storm is a good daily, it's just people who actually don't understand how it works because they were told it was bad for the last 8 months. But it's not. Sometimes scattering things is the better strategy, it's faster (like for king malabog, just chain spread and stun to give room to melees to mindlessly dps the boss), and you do the damage of 5 ice knives when it's all you want. It's better if NPCs are immune but sometimes you also want to spread things and dps them like in ToS/syndrith.

If you use it in VT you hit valindra and the hand... Using ice storm is a no brainer. For fulminorax you hit valindra choking someone and the dragon... No brainer again. For the spider queen, you hit her for 50-70k and remove another 200k on surrounding mobs when she's eating them (they don't move, etc). No brainer again.

These are excellent points.

OF is my usual go-to AoE Daily with its unlimited target cap and very high damage potential (don't underestimate the instant accumulation of 3 HV stacks and massive Storm Spell procs that are triggered by its multi-hit mechanic), but you can't beat Ice Storm in its ability to hit multiple targets over a very wide area with damage close to that of Ice Knife. It definitely has its uses.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    edited March 2014

See now in VT its not that big of a deal, And can be a good idea as the fighting area is relatively small and everything is generally within reach of it. Because there's only one target in the room outside the hand. No need to worry about torqueing your party off because you screwed up and threw all the mobs all over the field when they directly told you to keep the mobs grouped up and you thought you were going to be "original" and try something different.

Spider Queen no... like I said, not unless you have the gear score to one hit everything. Because the tactics in this one require keeping things in one spot and maintaining agro. Not throwing them all over the field. What do you think is going to happen if you don't? 50-70k.... is a crit with a huge gear score. Not something even a lot of even well geared players can attain.

The Malabog fight is about control, when you lose that on the adds, they spread way out. And there's more than 5 at a time. You've got multiple Redcaps draining your action points and Witheres healing the mobs on the fringes. The idea is to keep them in relatively in one spot and focus fire. If you fail to do this, the fight will get out of control in a hurry. So unless you've got the gear score to one hit everything in the room, I don't recommend this, because you can and will hose your own party over the matter.

Fulminorax, if somehow she shows up close enough to the Dragon possibly. But I've never seen here anywhere but way out on the fringes. And you have to keep your party relatively spread out in this fight because she summons portals way out on the fringes. Many of which there's no way in hell you're going to be able to get Ice Storm to reach. Yeah if you can get her to pop in close to the Dragon I could see it, if she's choking your tank. I rarely see that, because she tends to choke the player causing or healing the most damage to the dragon. That's usually a distance attacker or the cleric. This one tends to be an Ice Knife fight. In fact I don't think I've ever used anything but Ice Knife on her except by accident. Its the same reason I never got to use Maelstrom of Chaos on her even when it DID work. I could never get within range of her location.
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    See now in VT its not that big of a deal, And can be a good idea as the fighting area is relatively small and everything is generally within reach of it. Because there's only one target in the room outside the hand. No need to worry about torqueing your party off because you screwed up and threw all the mobs all over the field when they directly told you to keep the mobs grouped up and you thought you were going to be "original" and try something different.

Spider Queen no... like I said, not unless you have the gear score to one hit everything. Because the tactics in this one require keeping things in one spot and maintaining agro. Not throwing them all over the field. What do you think is going to happen if you don't? 50-70k.... is a crit with a huge gear score. Not something even a lot of even well geared players can attain.

The Malabog fight is about control, when you lose that on the adds, they spread way out. And there's more than 5 at a time. You've got multiple Redcaps draining your action points and Witheres healing the mobs on the fringes. The idea is to keep them in relatively in one spot and focus fire. If you fail to do this, the fight will get out of control in a hurry. So unless you've got the gear score to one hit everything in the room, I don't recommend this, because you can and will hose your own party over the matter.

Fulminorax, if somehow she shows up close enough to the Dragon possibly. But I've never seen here anywhere but way out on the fringes. And you have to keep your party relatively spread out in this fight because she summons portals way out on the fringes. Many of which there's no way in hell you're going to be able to get Ice Storm to reach. Yeah if you can get her to pop in close to the Dragon I could see it, if she's choking your tank. I rarely see that, because she tends to choke the player causing or healing the most damage to the dragon. That's usually a distance attacker or the cleric. This one tends to be an Ice Knife fight. In fact I don't think I've ever used anything but Ice Knife on her except by accident. Its the same reason I never got to use Maelstrom of Chaos on her even when it DID work. I could never get within range of her location.

Small side note about MC: I personally find that it's best not to allow the party to spread out. Keeping everyone on the side of the map closest to the entrance and slightly apart from the person with dragon aggro works best since Valindra can be immediately seen and attacked by everyone whenever she appears for a choke, and there's a good chance that she will be close enough to the dragon to allow an Ice Storm to hit both. When she goes for a portal, she can be completely ignored when she summons at the opposite fringe of the map since no wights will spawn if players don't approach the middle of the map. Even better, portals (and any wights) are almost always killed during Fulminorax's strafe runs.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Just put one point into AS (two if you can't), nobody uses it for it's damage anyway. It's hard to argue that it's not a useful CC spell and no PVE CW worth their salt has any reason not to take this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    str8slayer wrote: »
    Just put one point into AS (two if you can't), nobody uses it for it's damage anyway. It's hard to argue that it's not a useful CC spell and no PVE CW worth their salt has any reason not to take this.

This is straight up bad advice.

Sing can now crit and it's damage is decent. Put 3 points in it.
  • Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My only issue with AS is its animation is long, be nice for this to speed up a notch. Sometimes the adds you cast it on manage to leave the effected ring before it sucks them in...

Be better if it acted much faster.
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Ok let's make a nice picture for you: You use OF when there are a lot of blademasters/spiders/whatever. When there are less than 5 blademasters and when she's eating them, they don't move, Sing is so slow she will be done before you've pulled everything, so you just use ice storm. the AoE is huge and the damage impressive. OF would have been a waste in this situation because it does 3-4 times less damage.

Now maybe you don't feel the need to use it. Maybe because you never use it, and that's fine. I remember being one of the first players to use oppressive force in dungeons during beta, when everyone was obsessed about singularity. Now everyone uses that. You'll come to ice storm eventually because the add fest bosses more or less belong to the past now, unless you really insist on gathering what doesn't need to be gathered.

That doesn't mean it's the best daily spell ever, but it's definitely worth having it and even though it's situational, sometimes, it's optimal.

Thanks for the explanation. For the average team, though, Ice Storm is still a terrible idea for the Fulmi fight. It only works for you because you are so overgeared that even crappy spells give good results. It would be terrible for an 11k-12k CW to use in that fight though. The last thing I want to see is an 11k CW go into that fight and using Ice Storm all over the place because "I read it on the forums".
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for the explanation. For the average team, though, Ice Storm is still a terrible idea for the Fulmi fight. It only works for you because you are so overgeared that even crappy spells give good results. It would be terrible for an 11k-12k CW to use in that fight though. The last thing I want to see is an 11k CW go into that fight and using Ice Storm all over the place because "I read it on the forums".

I was doing it when my CW was only 11k. And it has been 11k for a very long time. Definitely not an issue.
  • Options
    vivicectorvivicector Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Of all the dailies, AS is the most useful, OF is the second one (due to higher damage and no target limits). Furious Immolation has its place, since its basically a smaller faster AS. I used it on smaller groups of mobs. Faster effect - faster kill. However, you need VoIP coordination, so that people will launch shards and stuff in there. Ice knife, when you really need single-target (rare case, in fact). All other dailies have no place and should be reworked.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I was doing it when my CW was only 11k. And it has been 11k for a very long time. Definitely not an issue.

I simply don't believe you went into the toughest fight of the game at the time and decided to choose a deliberately suboptimal strategy.

Ice Storm deals less damage per target than Ice Knife does. You are wasting DPS on Fulmi if you use it instead of Ice Knife on Valindra.
  • Options
    krimbarbarrojakrimbarbarroja Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    vorphied wrote: »
    When she goes for a portal, she can be completely ignored when she summons at the opposite fringe of the map since no wights will spawn if players don't approach the middle of the map. Even better, portals (and any wights) are almost always killed during Fulminorax's strafe runs.

That's gotta be either an exploit, or a mind-blowingly stupid mechanic man. You are basically telling me that if she summons a portal miles away, I should simply keep on whacking the dragon at no cost, instead of running 200 yards to her and fail miserably like I do now.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    That's gotta be either an exploit, or a mind-blowingly stupid mechanic man. You are basically telling me that if she summons a portal miles away, I should simply keep on whacking the dragon at no cost, instead of running 200 yards to her and fail miserably like I do now.

Someone should test and confirm.
  • Options
    lucadevil2lucadevil2 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The reason I am not using singularity is simple: I recently respecced to Master of Flame paragon path to try it out..

If u want to try different paths or build use the test server, you can respec all the times you want for free
    LucaMage - Control Wizard on server Dragon
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Someone should test and confirm.

I was attempting to last night but had exceedingly bad luck. Went in with a general pick up party rather than my normal, and it was a disaster.

I was not able to test it fully
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I simply don't believe you went into the toughest fight of the game at the time and decided to choose a deliberately suboptimal strategy.

Ice Storm deals less damage per target than Ice Knife does. You are wasting DPS on Fulmi if you use it instead of Ice Knife on Valindra.

I'm not. One target, ice knife wins. Two or more and no one cares if stuff is pushed all over the place (or stuff won't get pushed), ice storm wins.