What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Announcing Module 3: Curse of Icewind Dale

Comments

• Options
    arinathosarinathos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I can't wait to go adventuring in Icewind Dale with dozens of Drow HRs named "Drizzt."

I'm so tempted to troll one by following them around yelling "OMG!!! IT'S DRIZZT!!! IT'S REALLY HIM!!! CAN I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH??? PLEASE?????"
  • Options
    moonofdarksidemoonofdarkside Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    You do know that this thread has nothing whatsoever to do with tomorrows pvp patch don't you? this thread is about module 3.

Mod3 is full of pvp content; content that will never matter if they don't fix GG. So, yeah... can't seperate them too much from a pvp view-point. Also, my bad for mistaking this as an OPEN FORUM. Mod3 introduces new faction pvp, yet th ecurrent faction-pvp is not working at all. I think I have a legit concern to post here. Im glad you felt the need to post a pointless msg about your opionion that I am off tiopic though - it really helped the convo out! GOOD JOB!
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There is only some pvp content, the rest is pve. As for this so called new faction pvp, it is only a temporary allegiance and you are not locked into it. That is the problem with GG is you are locked into it unless you want to spend hundreds of thousands of AD to change.
  • Options
    dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rhoric wrote: »
    There is only some pvp content, the rest is pve. As for this so called new faction pvp, it is only a temporary allegiance and you are not locked into it. That is the problem with GG is you are locked into it unless you want to spend hundreds of thousands of AD to change.

i read it as still factioned with temporary tasks...

PS LF new Delzoun guild :P
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Mercenary Contracts

There are two new factions being introduced that will serve as the basis of the conflict over Black Ice in Icewind Dale: the local council of Ten-Towners capitalizing on the black ice trade to grow their wealth, and the Arcane Brotherhood who seeks to unlock the mysteries behind the black ice. Each offer temporary contracts to adventurers to further their goals in Icewind Dale.

I take this as you can select one faction do the temporary contracts then next time select the other faction and do the temporary contracts with that one.
  • Options
    iamfungasiamfungas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    you can't sum a module up in 43 seconds, noooo

/me slaps all the devs with a large trout
  • Options
    moonofdarksidemoonofdarkside Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rhoric wrote: »

I hope your are right, and the new factins are not locked-in! Is this official or speculation?

And I do understand that most teh content will be PVE; but for PvP-focused players, Mod3 is huge - 1st pvp campaign, and two new zones with quests. Big step up from an unabashedly broken pvp raid which is rarely available, and only two maps of 5v5 domination. Mod3 will expand the game exponentially for us pvp types.
  • Options
    nightstorm3nightstorm3 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    will the level cap ever go up?? 60 is fine and all but maybe down the road we can have the cap raise ??
  • Options
    cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
    edited March 2014
    Learn more about the Ten-Towners, the new faction for Module 3, with our newest update.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    One of the things I am most anticipating with module 3 is beautiful environmental design. We got a sneak preview with the winter festival of what Cryptic can do with a snowy village, and it was lovely.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    nubc3ke7331nubc3ke7331 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    will the level cap ever go up?? 60 is fine and all but maybe down the road we can have the cap raise ??

hell yes 61 would be epic lmao;)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    The question on most people's minds is, when is it going to be on the preview server.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    New news post giving more details about Module 3

http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/3036753-preview_-icewind-dale-factions

e51414130f8d9ad6f593f4dc08bee1b41394087620.jpg
    The land of Icewind Dale has been tainted by a mysterious substance known as Black Ice. Though it has its dangers, it also holds tremendous power, making it incredibly valuable. Two factions have risen above the rest as the most powerful groups aggressively seeking Black Ice to further their goals of wealth and power. In the upcoming Module 3: Curse of Icewind Dale expansion, we will be introducing two factions: the Ten-Towners and the Arcane Brotherhood, which players can align themselves with.

The two factions are constantly recruiting new members in order to exploit Black Ice. This is when you will cease to be an adventurer and become a mercenary. You will be given a choice to work for either faction, as well as the opportunity to switch from one faction to another, should you grow tired of your allegiance. Do note that these factions only hold power within Icewind Dale, and will not affect the content in other locations.

Once you select a faction to work for, you will be taking on contracts from the leaders: Bowen Brant, leader of Ten-Towners, and Anara the Cerulean, leader of the Arcane Brotherhood. These contracts, which will differ depending on which faction you are in, will send you off to Icewind Pass and Dwarven Valley to collect Black Ice, fight vicious beasts, and more. It is here where you will encounter mercenaries of the rival faction and must fend off attacks while you complete your own mission.

These battle zones allow for a more developed PvP progression path for players who are seeking an alternative to the standard PvE content in in Neverwinter. You will be offered the chance to constantly battle your rival faction over Black Ice, and be rewarded for taking out your enemy. This type of progression will involve PvPing in an open-world environment, meaning you will have to stay alert as you complete contracts for your faction.

Will you align with the Ten-Towners who are seeking Black Ice to trade and grow their wealth? Or, will you align with the Arcane Brotherhood who seeks to unlock the mysterious powers behind the new resource and become more powerful? Let us know who you will align with on the official Neverwinter forums.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    badeacelraubadeacelrau Member Posts: 85
    edited March 2014
    Just read the new preview post on your blog.

PVP IN AN OPEN-WORLD ENVIRONMENT, YEAAAAAH!
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Zoned PVP is hardly open world PVP, still as I always have said, if the next MYST game came out they would try to find a way to shoehorn PVP in it. :rolleyes:
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    mzethusmzethus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Awsome news, these are awesome news. Will sure take gameplay to a whole new level, love it!
  • Options
    zachkaryzachkary Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    PVP? Sigh... buh bye.
  • Options
    nurmoodnurmood Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Arcan Brotherhood is the new Delzoun?

I hope they will implement sth to prevent this to become the new GG fiasco. Its a shame at the moment.
  • Options
    unholydragonkingunholydragonking Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    One word. Griefers. I wonder how long after the module release before there's someone camping in the area with the sole purpose of making someone's Zoned PvP experience a nightmare. Hopefully there will be optional instances of the zone and not just instances generated as and when they're needed. (E.G. Gaunt and the Moonstone Mask.)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    No it is just not PvP. They are not going to alienate the majority of their player base. This module is both PvE and PvP.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    nurmood wrote: »
    Arcan Brotherhood is the new Delzoun?

I hope they will implement sth to prevent this to become the new GG fiasco. Its a shame at the moment.

You can change side as you want by the sounds of it so you aren't stuck with a 750kAD bill for changing factions , that's how it reads anyways.

One word. Griefers. I wonder how long after the module release before there's someone camping in the area with the sole purpose of making someone's Zoned PvP experience a nightmare. Hopefully there will be optional instances of the zone and not just instances generated as and when they're needed. (E.G. Gaunt and the Moonstone Mask.)

Well I'm guessing they will make a safe area when you first enter the pvp maps and hopefully the safe area will have level 99 guards who will splat anybody trying to snipe players inside safe area , otherwise you know as soon as you load in it is going to be insta death for anybody who takes a second or two to load in lol
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Given the size limitations they have on map instances I would assume there will always be multiple instances of the map going, and that you could simply switch map instances if you felt a group was griefing in your zone. That's just my guess though.
  • Options
    norsemanxnorsemanx Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Oh this looks to be really exciting! Finally, something else for the PvP'er in me to do!

Sure there will be low-class people griefing. ZONE: "Hey guys, the No Class guild is griefing again, let's get em!" Problem solved, give em a taste of their own medicine. It's all part of the game.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, good grief, just because they're adding a PvP area and a PvP campaign doesn't mean there'll be nothing for PvE players.

And with the prior two modules offering nothing much for PvPers, giving them a major content update is due.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    PVP OPEN WORLD seriously would be great if the maps were not infested with class imbalance and a swarm of GWFS!
  • Options
    leonaargentialeonaargentia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm not sure about this whole faction thing.
    I think there should be a third option where you're trying to stop the other two factions from using black ice for their own purposes (because it sounds very dangerous as well) and finding out about it so Icewind Dale can put to rights as it once was (basically be the good guys). Also the open area PvP sounds nice but could be abused by player killers (that I prefer PvE over PvP. Less stress) so I hope there is some way you can avoid being forced to fight PvP (like a notice of where it is or something).
    Duco ergo periculosus
    (I draw, therefore I am dangerous)
  • Options
    radtatatradtatat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201
    edited March 2014
    I am glad that Module 3 has both PVP and PVE content, but as a non-PVPer, I will stick to the PVE content.

One of my concern is the Devs might place desirable and useful stuff (i.e. artifacts, boons, rare resources...) for PVE behind the PVP campaign (Blood Crystal Raven Skull, I'm looking at you) which will force me to do PVP in order to get them.

With this new PVP open world campaign, I can foresee that when the PVPers finish/got sick of the campaign, all they will do whole day is to camp out at these maps and try killing everything in sight...which will make me want to stay out of it even more..

Hopefully there will be no rewards I want from the PVP campaign or better yet the PVP rewards can be obtained from the PVE campaign too.
  • Options
    nurmoodnurmood Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    You can change side as you want by the sounds of it so you aren't stuck with a 750kAD bill for changing factions , that's how it reads anyways.

Sure but that option is part of the problem isnt it?
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    looks like this mod will force a lot of ppl to quit since a lot of ppl do not like forced pvp in zones we need to do for daily quests and also this will mean a lot less new players since when they come to this zone and got owned by overgeard ppl they will just quit and spread the word how this is p2w since they will be just food for op geared trolls if they dont spend so this is very bad idea and will hurt player base a lot
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    warpet wrote: »
    looks like this mod will force a lot of ppl to quit since a lot of ppl do not like forced pvp in zones we need to do for daily quests and also this will mean a lot less new players since when they come to this zone and got owned by overgeard ppl they will just quit and spread the word how this is p2w since they will be just food for op geared trolls if they dont spend so this is very bad idea and will hurt player base a lot

The pvp zones are only for pvp , one of the developers already said that nobody will be forced into pvp , the 2 pvp zones are only for the pvp campaign .