Install Arc
Options

PvP Leavers Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    Most usually, people leaving in that fashion is a form of protest -- raising the middlefinger --against premades. About the only form of leaving I'd support.
    Sadly it was a pre-made but that's a rather defeatist attitude. The pre-made I was in was casual. Two members were fresh 60's in mostly blues and 9kgs. Some pre-mades are just from wanting to play with friends.
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Sadly it was a pre-made but that's a rather defeatist attitude. The pre-made I was in was casual. Two members were fresh 60's in mostly blues and 9kgs. Some pre-mades are just from wanting to play with friends.

More like boycott, than defeatist. Obviously, people have better things to do than step up as the lead character of a cosmic horror novel.

In most cases I never leave. I am definately never the first leaver, and I'll even stay and try my best in 4-vs-5 matches. If the game just simply dies out in something like 5v3 or 5v2, then I'll decide whether to leave or just go afk.

But against premades? Especially when they are premades from a guild that I know to be serious PvPers, or a premade that has players I know to be a very skilled person -- I know for a fact these people don't need any of the crutches, they could queue individually and still have lots of fun without destroying the match.

But if they insist they need to make a team with average 15k+ GS, a GWF+DC combo and a perma-TR and a CW as a side dish, all hooked up on voice, to have "fun"... then sorry, no. I usually boycott premades.

PuGs aren't masochists. No reason to sacrifice themselves to let premades have fun. PuGs will have their own fun fighting against other PuGs. Premades can just wait and wait until they meet another premade. Seems only fair.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    More like boycott, than defeatist. Obviously, people have better things to do than step up as the lead character of a cosmic horror novel.

In most cases I never leave. I am definately never the first leaver, and I'll even stay and try my best in 4-vs-5 matches. If the game just simply dies out in something like 5v3 or 5v2, then I'll decide whether to leave or just go afk.

But against premades? Especially when they are premades from a guild that I know to be serious PvPers, or a premade that has players I know to be a very skilled person -- I know for a fact these people don't need any of the crutches, they could queue individually and still have lots of fun without destroying the match.

But if they insist they need to make a team with average 15k+ GS, a GWF+DC combo and a perma-TR and a CW as a side dish, all hooked up on voice, to have "fun"... then sorry, no. I usually boycott premades.

PuGs aren't masochists. No reason to sacrifice themselves to let premades have fun. PuGs will have their own fun fighting against other PuGs. Premades can just wait and wait until they meet another premade. Seems only fair.

And I find your attitude poor. It's why I only queue up with those I know, I don't find playing with people that assume they will lose fun.
  • Options
    whotronwhotron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited February 2014
    You should have the freedom to leave anytime you like for a number of reasons. I vote for not changing anything. Just que again. One thing they should do is show the players name in chat that left, this way you could ignore the player and return the favor to him in the futre. Problem solved.

I tell ya bud, If I look around at the beginning of the match and see everyone in crappy gear that is 10 levels under their current level with no enchants you bet i'm leaving...and I should not be penalized for it. They should ... and practically they are after I leave. Sorry to say!

This is what's wrong with PVP. if you you assume you're going to lose before even talking to the players to see skill level and then you claim that you are not doing anything wrong? okay. That's subjectivity at its best. Because they are UNDER-GEARED they should be penalized because YOU leave?

what the **** did i even read?
    sounds like farts being stored in a bag.

Fix PVP. Add penalty for early leavers even if their grandma needs a ride to the hospital.
    Add match making & the like.
    Everyone is sick and tired of getting kicked from PvP and having people leave or be disconnected.
    Fin.
    move on.
    More issues to tackle.
  • Options
    twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    People leave because there is no matchmaking. You don't punish people to fix behavior caused by a broken mechanic. That's just backward logic that leads to nothing but resentment and pushing people out of the PvP community.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    twstdecho wrote: »
    People leave because there is no matchmaking. You don't punish people to fix behavior caused by a broken mechanic. That's just backward logic that leads to nothing but resentment and pushing people out of the PvP community.

I'm going to go back to wow for this one. Back when I played it there were no ranked battlegrounds. Yet if you left you got a deserter debuff. It worked. Yeah new people got facerolled, but they didn't leave, because they knew that they'd slowly get points, get better pvp gear, and improve their skills. Leaving in this game is from people being defeatist and not being willing to ever lose.
  • Options
    twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    I'm going to go back to wow for this one. Back when I played it there were no ranked battlegrounds. Yet if you left you got a deserter debuff. It worked. Yeah new people got facerolled, but they didn't leave, because they knew that they'd slowly get points, get better pvp gear, and improve their skills. Leaving in this game is from people being defeatist and not being willing to ever lose.

People are leaving because they get stomped to the point that they get little to no points, so they are doing nothing but wasting their time. You don't need ranked battle grounds if you have a decent matchmaking system, or reward players in a way that gives them a reason to stick around, even if they lose bad.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    People are leaving because they get stomped to the point that they get little to no points, so they are doing nothing but wasting their time. You don't need ranked battle grounds if you have a decent matchmaking system, or reward players in a way that gives them a reason to stick around, even if they lose bad.
    wait. how is someone getting owned by GS a mechanic? how is someone leaving because they are frustrated a mechanic?

I see how someone can be frustrated due to the mechanic of the matchmaking (or lack-thereof) resulting in them being unsettled furthering their emotion... but that emotion doesn't literally move the mouse and clicks the leave party button. that's their choice. when someone is disconnected and ruins the game because of network (server, backbone or user based)... that's another story. Sure, negative reinforcement doesn't fix the issue in many cases but some sort of temporary demerit is used widely for many reasons - as for positive reinforcement, i enjoy the PvP and get owned often, even in pre-mades (we're not PvPers). If we are having a good battle and someone (or 2, some 5-4s are still fun) leaves at 600-450 it literally puts a damper on everyone's (both sides) mood towards the PvP and the one the leaves and disconnects is basically off with little to no repercussions and gets what they want, another equal try to win & possibly acquire more glory.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    It's a missing mechanic when the divide between new PvP players and well geared players is so big. You put in a matchmaking system that pits people against one another to create closer, more competitive matches, and they stick around long enough to gear up, to better their skill level, and you cultivate a stronger PvP community.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    It's a missing mechanic when the divide between new PvP players and well geared players is so big. You put in a matchmaking system that pits people against one another to create closer, more competitive matches, and they stick around long enough to gear up, to better their skill level, and you cultivate a stronger PvP community.
    So people shouldn't be allowed to gear and better their toons? I tell you what though. I've seen people with 9k gs's devastate other players because they had skills where the people that leave just don't.
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So people shouldn't be allowed to gear and better their toons? I tell you what though. I've seen people with 9k gs's devastate other players because they had skills where the people that leave just don't.

Nah, people are fine to get better gear and team up with all the best of the players.
    Just don't expect the others to play a game through with you.

Every game needs someone to play with, and no one's going to play a game they're destined to get steamrolled and trolled in.

When you gain something, you lose something. When you make premades, you lose people who are willing to play with you.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Nah, people are fine to get better gear and team up with all the best of the players.

Every game needs someone to play with, and no one's going to play a game they're destined to get steamrolled and trolled in.

When you gain something, you lose something. When you make premades, you lose people who are willing to play with you.
    When you aren't willing to try, you lose respect and skill.

I've said it before I'll say it again, I'm very casual with pvp, the premades I'm in are just of people that know each other with no forethought of gearing or composition. A team of good players in a pug could win easily. But since no one tries....... Hard to have any respect for them at that point.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    i've seen 8ks devestate 10-13ks. at 14-15k it might take more than 1 if you're 9k with blues..
    I can't help but snicker at the notion that people assume that "you are destined to lose" therefore it's justifiable AND shouldn't upset people (how dare they). I don't think dogma/destiny is programmed into games like these. The only destiny you're fulfilling is not finishing something you've started, like mentioned earlier. unless people are claiming to read the future...? Baddys are bad.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Sure, sometimes you have some people who have the skill and just haven't finished gearing up yet, and you have people who have geared up but lack the skill, but those are not the norm in PvP.

If you think that PvP is perfectly fine without matchmaking, is perfectly fine just the way it is, then I wonder about your motivation, I wonder where your PvP enjoyment comes from. I find nothing enjoyable in partaking in overly lopsided matches from either side, and I assure you, most others do not enjoy it either. Sure, some people with a certain mentality enjoy facing off against lesser competition so they can build up their own ego and tell everyone "how good" they are, and sure, some people are willing to push through and be your punching bag in an effort to gear and improve, but by and large, the current climate of PvP matches will end up pushing people away and turning the PvP community into such a minority that Cryptic won't have much incentive to support it.

If you create a system where people have the ability to face off against others of similar skill and gear, you foster a better community that will cultivate new additions to PvP and help develop their skills and gear instead of turning them off and laughing at the "baddies" when they give up PvP all together in the face of elitist attitudes and sad little people who have to make themselves feel better by facing off against people who pose no challenge.

I would hazard a guess and say that MOST people who enjoy PvP as their main activity in NW would prefer a system where they can enjoy more balanced matches as the norm. I would guess that they WANT a better, stronger, more populated PvP community to foster the spirit of competition, to show the developers that PvP appeals to a larger portion of the overall community and warrants even more attention.

Of course, no, I don't know all the PvP'ers and can only guess based on my limited interaction with people who do nothing but PvP in NW.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    People should get glory points for damage dealt, damage sustained, and healing dealt, that way, even if you can't win or are against a team that won't let you take any bases, you can still get some glory points. And also add a deserter buff for 15 mins or so. that way every match you'll win something, maybe not much, but better than nothing.
    If people who actually do something in pvp do get glory points, no matter if they win or loose, and there is a deserter buff, people wouldn't leave that much.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I'm sure it's buried here somewhere, but I like your idea combined with something else I proposed earlier.

First, expand ways to score points for Glory. Second, take into account certain factors of the match when awarding said Glory.

In rudimentary fashion, it could be something like:

(Glory Awarded(# Players on opposing team at end of match/# Players on your team at end of match)+Glory Awarded(Opponents AVG GS/Personal GS))/2

That gives you more ways to earn Glory and also boots your Glory gained when you fight short handed and against stronger opponents.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I like the idea of giving more glory to teams that are incomplete against a full 5 man team.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    theheroshieldtheheroshield Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Can you vote-kick in PvP? Because if you give more points for more people that leave your group, that'll be what happens in some PuGs (probably right at the end when you're just about to collect the glory).

That. Since the system is broken it's only natural that people would misuse it, misunderstand it or even completely ignore it. Punishing people for leaving when they're getting badly beat, or getting DC'd, is just unfair. You don't spank a kid who's upset you won't spend any time with him. You spend more time with him. You fix the problem. You don't punish people for acting out when there's a serious issue at hand. You get no respect that way.

I don't boycott pre-mades but I'm very wary of them. Most of the time I find they steamroll n' troll and that's not fun at all. I just stick around to see if a) we can give them an equal fight b) beat them (and I'm courteous when I do) or c) they defeat us but don't act like jerks about it. If they can't be civil I walk away. As was said by someone else, we're not here to be ego-boosters for 12 year olds who spend all day on the game trolling folks.

The solution is simple: match-making and/or tiers. I can tell you my favorite PvPs were the times my team was equally matched with the opposing team and had a close race to the points. Sometimes we won; sometimes they did. In the end it was all good fun. Because, seriously, who has fun being stomped on or steamrolling someone else? I'd worry for myself I ever found either of that fun! XD
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No, you can not vote kick in PVP.
  • Options
    overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014

Whaaaat? The whole reason there are premades is because people have other people to play the game with. Those who play solo only and maybe q for dungeons, never say a word and leave immediately after are the ones who don't have anyone to play with. These are the same who get roflstomped in pugs in pvp and then qq that pvp is so hard after their cakewalk through rubbing salve on little animals, talking to elves and killing boogeymen in pve.

People who like to play with other people find other people to play with and so guilds and premades are born. I don't know any of these that really enjoy destroying a randomly cobbled together collection of loners. Matchmaking, yes. And we ask, we pretty much demand, a system where people will find actual competition and even a challenge to well coordinated teamwork, aka, playing together.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • Options
    nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Make the Glory obtained from filling the charts in Gauntlegrym equal to the glory forom PvP and you won't see many leavers in PvP.

At the current stage you need to do 1 year of grinding to get the desired 24k glory through the Gauntlegrym PvE event. Just up the Glory received for 5 fire shards loaded into a cart to 50.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I'm sure it's buried here somewhere, but I like your idea combined with something else I proposed earlier.

First, expand ways to score points for Glory. Second, take into account certain factors of the match when awarding said Glory.

In rudimentary fashion, it could be something like:

(Glory Awarded(# Players on opposing team at end of match/# Players on your team at end of match)+Glory Awarded(Opponents AVG GS/Personal GS))/2

That gives you more ways to earn Glory and also boots your Glory gained when you fight short handed and against stronger opponents.

I agree that there should be increased rewards for sticking it out in a "no-win" situation. I would go so far as to say there should even be an option to switch teams when your destroying another team and they are missing players. THAT would be fun.

I disagree that the reward should be glory or anything like gg coins. Glory is for a starter set of epic gear that is a little better than mul gear, the gg gear is a slight upgrade to that until one finds or buys better t2 gear. Once you have your pvp artifact, a full set of t2 pvp gear, glory and gg coins serve only as a way to generate ad. And not even that much. Most people I know who are hardcore pvpers have long shed their glory/gg gear and play domination only (no horse race) and for fun alone because after a certain point you really can't improve your stats on anything you get through pvp.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Make the Glory obtained from filling the charts in Gauntlegrym equal to the glory forom PvP and you won't see many leavers in PvP.

At the current stage you need to do 1 year of grinding to get the desired 24k glory through the Gauntlegrym PvE event. Just up the Glory received for 5 fire shards loaded into a cart to 50.

Why would anyone grind gg for a year for the 24k glory they can earn just by doing domination for a few days? Maybe I am missing something.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    overddrive wrote: »
    Why would anyone grind gg for a year for the 24k glory they can earn just by doing domination for a few days? Maybe I am missing something.

They were implying that the people that leave hate pvp and are being forced to do so to get the artifact.
  • Options
    johnnywad309johnnywad309 Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2014
    macjae wrote: »
    Until they introduce a better form of matchmaking, leaving matches *is* the only way to search for a good match. Penalizing people for searching for a good match is absurd.

A penalty for leavers should only come *after* they've introduced functional matchmaking that gets you decent matches most of the time.

By searching for a good match do you mean one your team immediately starts winning? I can tell you right now that's bull****. The problem is that you can immediately queue up again and again until you have the advantage. That's exactly what a lot of these players are doing. If you come into a PvP match rockin' an 8k GS you better expect you're going to get bodied. I was definitely a bit harsh when I said an hour+ debuff, but 15-30 minutes is not asking for too much I think. If you leave in a PvP match you basically deserted your team and deserve to be punished for it, end of story.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    vortix44 wrote: »
    Yep, ppl are not stupid. Why beating a dead horse? If the first fight is lost, then the other team is stronger. If the other team is stronger then the pvp session will be lost. Why staying when you already know you'll have to BEG the red ones camping you at respawn to let you gain at least the 100 points that will grant you a spoonful of glory after 20 minutes?

The issue here is in the queue system. Many improvements have been suggested by the community. How many of them have been implemented yet?

I almost agree with you. A matchmaking system and a ranked ladder would help alleviate some of the problems, but I guarantee you if there is no leaver penalty people will still try to exploit the system by basically win trading. Also, just because you lost the first fight doesn't mean you are completely out of it. I've been in plenty of games where the other team was stronger in a fight, but we were still able to win just by having better objective control. Just quitting outright as soon as you die one time is *****-made and you deserve to be banned from PvP for a short period to prevent you from just queuing right up again and doing it to another team.
  • Options
    vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    The queue system should pair ppl who pvp because they're forced to with other ppl who also pvp because they're forced to. Very easy to implement, devs, just check that the pvp artifact is missing.
    How many ppl would there be in pvp without this artifact?
    English is not my first language.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    These are the same who get roflstomped in pugs in pvp and then qq that pvp is so hard after their cakewalk through rubbing salve on little animals, talking to elves and killing boogeymen in pve.

I lol'd hard at this one. You are so right. Player vs. player content offers more adversity and a greater challenge than scripted encounters with mobs. Most players who are good at PvP are even better at PvE because you know exactly what the mobs will do. I use to tell my friends & guildmates in SWG (pre-revamp) and WoW (vanilla - WotLK) if they wanted to get better at PvE to play more PvP content.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I agree that there should be increased rewards for sticking it out in a "no-win" situation. I would go so far as to say there should even be an option to switch teams when your destroying another team and they are missing players. THAT would be fun.

I disagree that the reward should be glory or anything like gg coins. Glory is for a starter set of epic gear that is a little better than mul gear, the gg gear is a slight upgrade to that until one finds or buys better t2 gear. Once you have your pvp artifact, a full set of t2 pvp gear, glory and gg coins serve only as a way to generate ad. And not even that much. Most people I know who are hardcore pvpers have long shed their glory/gg gear and play domination only (no horse race) and for fun alone because after a certain point you really can't improve your stats on anything you get through pvp.

It should be Glory, and here's why. Who benefits the most from Glory? New PvP players who haven't been able to gear up. Who spends the most time getting steamrolled in PvP with little to no benefit? New PvP players who haven't been able to gear up. You don't need to motivate/reward the players who are already good and geared in PvP and playing for fun, you have to motivate the new players that aren't geared up, that are struggling against everyone else. You need to give THOSE players a reason to stick around, to make their effort not seem so futile. They will be less likely to leave a match, and less likely to give up PvP all together.

The goal is to get people to stop giving up in the face of insurmountable odds, not make it more lucrative to farm.
  • Options
    nem3zissnem3ziss Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There was a game where people liked to cheat a lot. Devs doesn't want to ban half playerbase, so they decide to force people cought on cheating to play with other cheaters. We need same solution for leavers. This will not harm people who get dc'd or need to leave because IRL. I mean, leaver for me are people who constantly leave game that need from them a little bit of effort. If you leave game once in a while, np, you will still play with people who dont leave ever. But if you leave 5 game from 10, then welcome to ELO hell :) This will not ban people, this will not harm people who got technical issues or IRL.
This discussion has been closed.