What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rangers way imbalanced

Comments

• Options
    aseo18aseo18 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The OP is an (input childish insult). My TR's melee at lv 10 was better than my HR's melee at lv 13. I dont know how the HR is at 60 yet but im thinkin they may need a small buff in the melee department.

How is the HR at 60 anyway?
  • Options
    naruonnaruon Member Posts: 37
    edited December 2013
    Ranger is my main class in DDO and im now onto my third life but i still play Neverwinter on the side and since the new ranger class came out i thought cool finally! I'm currently at level 12 and its been fun so far. A couple of things i don't like is the lack of range and the lack of elemental damage on bows (actually that goes for all weapons). They should make the range to be if you can see it you can shoot it... who wants to have to fight hand to hand when you can take out enemy's from a distance.
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Rangers are only slightly less maneuverable than the TR, so you want to keep mobile and keep enemies at a distance. They do have melee attacks which are pretty good, but the aren't the DPS kings that TR's are.

I usually find the sneaky approach is best use a multi shot to thin out the mob of adds, then either aimed or a fully focused multi for the elite, once they get close, switch to melee and finish. It also helps a HUGE amount having a striker/aggro magnet as a companion, as they can keep the enemy away from you and you can control the flow of the battle.

Bosses are by far the easiest, as they all have huge, long windup 'tells' for their attacks, so the HR can just run around the arena and whittle them down, and use multi/AoE when the adds spawn. It's going to be interesting figuring out a tactic for the self healing bosses/elites, but I look forward to it.

There is also a couple of different feats/class powers that aid either Ranged or Melee, depending on your preferred play style.

Now at lvl 30 and I still think that the HR is ridiculously fun to play, not OP'd at all, just very different from my usual 'Paladin' (GF or GWF) toons.
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • Options
    tybrus8tybrus8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Wow OP are you way WAY off base.

Just hit lvl 42 and actually from about lvl 30 + on it is probably one of the more challenging class's to play let alone OP. I had a way easy'r time on my GWF then the ranger. You can not base ANYTHING on ANY class in the first ten lvl's. Hit at least lvl 30 then come back and say you were wrong.
  • Options
    tybrus8tybrus8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Not to mention how squish the class is when getting hit.
  • Options
    draczondraczon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I ran a HR on test through to 60, 80% of the Sharandar and 70% of the Dread ring before it went live. I have a 13+K GS on Mimic and a 12+K GS here on Dragon. The lower levels are easy, all levels are easy with the best gear and I will say that as well for any class. I also have a 60 of every class all T2 Geared. At 60 the HR has its advantages but I would also put that for any class. When I started on Mimic the Greycloak Bow was not available nor was the Rust Purples, when this went live I had access to both and compared to leveling on Mimic without those was a major difference. I know my TR and CW can outrun my HR by a mile right now but when I get it in T2 I feel I will be on par with the others though I have to move a hell of alot more with the HR than I do on the other two. The GWF I have is lagging a little behind the HR in my opinion but I haven't spent alot of time with it and the new paragon.

I do think the OP really should level to 60 and Gear out before making comments on a level 10 character.

My HR on Mimic and Dragon is named Drakzon, guild Black Death Union
  • Options
    zogvarnokazogvarnoka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    People in zone chat yesterday were complaining that the HR was OP and needed to be nerfed (Helm's Hold). I tried telling them you can't compare relative power at lvl 30 to lvl 60. They shouted me down with "But my crits with AS are 6k+." and "My SA takes out whole packs of trash."

I /facepalmed a lot till I leveled out of that zone.
    Removing the Grey Mask
    NW-DJ56XFK6G
    My first installment in the Rise of Shadovar Campaign.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    zogvarnoka wrote: »
    People in zone chat yesterday were complaining that the HR was OP and needed to be nerfed (Helm's Hold). I tried telling them you can't compare relative power at lvl 30 to lvl 60. They shouted me down with "But my crits with AS are 6k+." and "My SA takes out whole packs of trash."

I /facepalmed a lot till I leveled out of that zone.

I know how you feel. I had to turn zone chat off so I didn't have to listen to the whiners complain that HR is OP when it is not. It is just right, now.
  • Options
    darwinistdarwinist Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    HR is pretty overpowered, unless you can name another class that clears lots of groups with one at-wil use.

edit: And overpowered before endgame is still a valid complaint, especially since most players of the game don't even run endgame content. Balancing for the end result is lazy.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    darwinist wrote: »
    HR is pretty overpowered, unless you can name another class that clears lots of groups with one at-wil use.

edit: And overpowered before endgame is still a valid complaint, especially since most players of the game don't even run endgame content. Balancing for the end result is lazy.
    Lazy I don't know, but my experience with mmo's is that it's industry standard to be honest.
  • Options
    chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have at least one character of every class. I admit that the HR had the easiest time of all getting to level 20, and probably beyond. But with the possible exception of the DC, ALL of them were laughably easy- and the DC wasn't that hard either. First real sign of trouble I had was trying to solo the fire giants in Hotenow around level 56. Came back a couple levels later (with Astral Shield which made all the difference) and no problems.

No insult intended to anyone, but if you play any class at all to level 10, and don't feel a very well-powered, you should re-assess your decisions and your tactics, because you could and should be having much more fun.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Hate to burst your bubble also. But it isn't OP. I have a lvl 59 HR and have died like a dozen times. If you think it is OP then you should have played the HR on the preview server before the first big nerf.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    Hate to burst your bubble also. But it isn't OP. I have a lvl 59 HR and have died like a dozen times. If you think it is OP then you should have played the HR on the preview server before the first big nerf.

"It was worse before," isn't actually an argument for it not being OP now, you realize? And you dying doesn't make the class balanced. So, can you name any other classes that clear groups with a single-at will use?
  • Options
    voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    "It was worse before," isn't actually an argument for it not being OP now, you realize? And you dying doesn't make the class balanced. So, can you name any other classes that clear groups with a single-at will use?

The fact your calling the class OP cause of 1 at will is a joke play though the game with out split shot then you will see how difficult this class really is.Hell LvL up a pure melee ranger then get back to us the fact of the matter is that you cant call OP just cause of 1 at will.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    voltomey wrote: »
    The fact your calling the class OP cause of 1 at will is a joke play though the game with out split shot then you will see how difficult this class really is.Hell LvL up a pure melee ranger then get back to us the fact of the matter is that you cant call OP just cause of 1 at will.

Do you read what you're writing? "Play the class without the most powerful at-will it gets and it won't be as powerful!" Yes, it would be. Split Shot is more or less the entire source of the OP status; nothing else wipes trash nearly as well. It is more powerful in that area than any other class. You might say it is overly powerful. If only there was another phrase for that...
  • Options
    edited December 2013

It only clears groups of weak mobs, in solo area's. It does not one shot mobs inside dungeons, yes it does high damage but your encounters seem to do less damage than other classes. That high dps is also tempered by the fact that it does more dps and can get you more aggro and the class is fairly squishy.
  • Options
    caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The ranger is a glass-cannon in the hands of the unskilled. Keep playing long enough and you'll see them around.
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    caexar wrote: »
    The ranger is a glass-cannon in the hands of the unskilled. Keep playing long enough and you'll see them around.
    With a good cw controlling the mobs or a gwf tanking them so you can go crazy though it sure is fun.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    charononus wrote: »
    It only clears groups of weak mobs, in solo area's. It does not one shot mobs inside dungeons, yes it does high damage but your encounters seem to do less damage than other classes. That high dps is also tempered by the fact that it does more dps and can get you more aggro and the class is fairly squishy.

Even in dungeons the damage is silly; oh no, I now have to use two at wills!

edit: Granted this is with the Mulhorand bow/blades, so granted that skews things. SA is still too powerful; I love it, but it's too good.
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So, can you name any other classes that clear groups with a single-at will use?
    Yes and no.

Whilst the HR does have a great AoE At Will power from early game, the encounters powers are very ordinary to start with, and HR's are worse health pot addicts than GWF's early game.

The DC on the other hand doesn't have as much outright DPS early in game, but they do have a passive healing skill almost straight up and they get a devastating AoE Encounter Power next, and that encounter can and does destroy entire mobs of adds, and drops most elites to half health, as well as healing you, now that sounds way OP'd, but it isn't, it's called "balance".

I haven't played a TR or CW, but I'm sure the story would be the same for them. I don't think the devs would have made a class that had a glaringly obvious advantage, unless it was balanced by something else.
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The power of a HR is "front loaded". meaning that we get some of our best powers early on, and the stuff we get closer to 60 supports the powers we got at low levels. No other class in NWO is built like this. The HR does a lot (if not most) of his damage with at-wills, so those attacks need to be strong. Many of the later powers are 1/2 attack and 1/2 buff, depending on your stance. Most HRs that I knew on test were running with at least 2 powers that were not attacks in both stances, most of the "pure attack" powers are gained below lvl 30, so that skews the power curve of the HR so that it is VERY strong early while most other classes are still working to their strongest skills.

Short version: Yes, the HR is borderline OP at low levels, but it really does even out the higher your level gets. The people telling you to "wait till you get to 60" may be a bit blunt, but they do have a point.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

If the class was OP then there would be no deaths. As we would be able to burn everything down from trash to elites without any damage to us. So play the class all the way to 60 before claiming something is OP.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    edit: Granted this is with the Mulhorand bow/blades, so granted that skews things. SA is still too powerful; I love it, but it's too good.
    That skews things massively. Not saying that it's not good aoe damage I just dont think it's so op as others think.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

*cough cough cough*
  • Options
    kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    volstok wrote: »
    Their range is greater than the Control Wizard and they have push back CC that rival the Control Wizard.

What HR control skills can rival things like singu, steal time and oppforce?
  • Options
    omfgknockifoffomfgknockifoff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Here, let's fix that for you:
    HR feels like a one-trick pony at low levels, unless you can name another class that clears lots of groups with one at-wil use.

There you go.

Seriously, if you're going to rant about one class having a good ability that no other class has and say this is imbalance, I'm not sure what to tell you.
  • Options
    deaththroedeaththroe Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    volstok wrote: »
    Granted I have only played one for about 10 levels...
    Is where I stopped reading :rolleyes:
    10PM CST

• Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013

Wait wait.. you have.. elite gear, that levels with you with decent itemization, probably enchants IN that gear.. and you're complaining the character is OP???

I DOMINATE in PVP with my TR... at lvl 12. With greycloak stuff. Heck, any new character that has the hunter booster pack, hunter or not, is a BEAST in low levels, because that gear is giving a bunch of stats most starting characters don't have. You twinked and complained about the class. That's just.. crazy. Sorry.
  • Options
    voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    people still think this class is imbalanced in What PvE lolz
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bendalek wrote: »
    Whilst the HR does have a great AoE At Will power from early game, the encounters powers are very ordinary to start with, and HR's are worse health pot addicts than GWF's early game.

Late game too, depending on how you're specced and geared. :)
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.