test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rangers way imbalanced

volstokvolstok Member Posts: 14 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Wilds
Granted I have only played one for about 10 levels, however, the DPS compared to all the other classes is ridiculously too high. They have melee and ranged dps capabilities that is higher than both a Control Wizard and Thief. Their range is greater than the Control Wizard and they have push back CC that rival the Control Wizard. Basically they are the super class and need to have some balance.
Post edited by volstok on

Comments

• Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I wouldn't be so quick to ask for nerfs, especially based on level 10 gameplay....
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    rosicrucianistrosicrucianist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    volstok wrote: »
    Granted I have only played one for about 10 levels, however, the DPS compared to all the other classes is ridiculously too high. They have melee and ranged dps capabilities that is higher than both a Control Wizard and Thief. Their range is greater than the Control Wizard and they have push back CC that rival the Control Wizard. Basically they are the super class and need to have some balance.

Try playing at say 30+. Earlier levels tend to be a cake walk if you have AOE and the Rangers have plenty of it. The class is very well balanced at higher levels (although their single target damage tends to be on the low side), with one exception: Daily powers that activate at a % of you Action Points. It works, it's very cool, but the other classes should of gotten it as well.
  • Options
    redyummiredyummi Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have been playing the new class ranger for 12 levels and I see no difference or super abilities that you mentioned that is so much greater than any other class I've played, and I've played them all.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's a strong class but not super strong. Level 30 at the moment and I think single target a tr would beat my dps.
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The only PvP experience I have involving rangers thus far is facing off against a lvl 60 one from Lemonade Stand while I was playtesting my DC's Anointed Champion build, and it was pretty fun tbh. It tore up my poor PUG members (they weren't BiS by any stretch) when they were separated from me and could hold a node indefinitely if not CCed or burst down hard enough, but could be countered.

Anyway, it's way too early to call for significant nerfs or buffs. Give everyone a few weeks to play with equipment and builds.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    thraexisthraexis Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    redyummi wrote: »
    I have been playing the new class ranger for 12 levels and I see no difference or super abilities that you mentioned that is so much greater than any other class I've played, and I've played them all.

but at low levels rangers are easy to level, the class reaches about 30+
    then it starts to get challenging and have to move around more.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ranger doesn't need any nerfs. It was nerfed big time on preview shard. Wait until you get to the higher levels, you won't think it is so OP then.
  • Options
    rosicrucianistrosicrucianist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    As for TR and CW against a HR (again at highly levels, a HR with the pack under level 20 is going to rip everything up), if a TR gets to you, you're dead. My suggestion is to make sure he doesn't. Be very careful about Dazing Strike and Smoke Bomb. CW can strongly out damage you in single target ranged capacity, my suggestion is to switch ranges and use your cool downs as effectively as possible.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited December 2013

You know, I think this may have more to do with the Founder and Ranger Pack Weapons than the Class itself. They are CRAZY strong, even for Founder and Pack Weapons. They make ANY Ranger seem like Superman for about the first 15 levels or so. Things start to even out after that, reaching the point of a well balanced Striker by about level 25 or so.
    Add into this whole mess the fact that you have a whole mess of Whales (the wealthy, powerful Gamers who WILL have all the best gear at all times, one way or another) who are equipping their Rangers with the best that multiple LVL 60's and the AH can provide and you get an inflated sense of the Classes power. Let things settle out a bit. When the Whales move on to shinny new toys and people out-level the Founder and Pack Gear you will see a whole new, well balanced Ranger.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    You folks misunderstand 2 things.

1) I am not asking for Nerfs. I'm asking for balance. If that means buffing other classes or removing a decimal from the damage quantifiers of the Rangers, it doesn't matter. In my opinion, this is a balance issue for pvp as well as pve.

2) I have a CW but not much higher than the Ranger. I play mostly on a cleric. Yes, I know, clerics are useless now, thanks, lol.
  • Options
    tornnomartornnomar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There are a ton of new HR's and I find, as I'm leveling yet another TR, that I walk around alot just observing them. I, for one, think their cool. I don't think their OP, no more so than any other at their level. As for the jealousy thing, no, not jealous. Every class has their strengths and weaknesses.
    [img][/img]NORresized.png
    Branch Lead
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    You folks misunderstand 2 things.

1) I am not asking for Nerfs. I'm asking for balance. If that means buffing other classes or removing a decimal from the damage quantifiers of the Rangers, it doesn't matter. In my opinion, this is a balance issue for pvp as well as pve.

2) I have a CW but not much higher than the Ranger. I play mostly on a cleric. Yes, I know, clerics are useless now, thanks, lol.

Again, please refrain from commenting about balance until you have played/gone up against the class at endgame level for an extended period of time.
  • Options
    godlysoul1godlysoul1 Member Posts: 293 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Have you tried playing a rogue for the 1st 10 lvs?
  • Options
    hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    As far as I can see with HR they're the sort of "Bard" of combat...something only D&D nerds will understand so I'll explain.

Bards in D&D are like the Jack of All Trades Master of None class. They can fill in wherever they're needed and have some nice buffs to call their own if a party already has all the normal roles filled. An HR is like that (especially on the buff front), their melee damage is laughable compared to a TR and their ranged damage isn't anything compared to a CW.

Although they look powerful due to their early on AoE, I can actually feel the difference while playing. There are bosses I had some trouble with as an HR that I tore through like a hot knife through butter as a CW.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    godlysoul1 wrote: »
    Have you tried playing a rogue for the 1st 10 lvs?

Yes I have, and though strong in DPS, I still contend that the Ranger is far beyond them in DPS. It's ok though, I'll wait for the "Newness" of the class to wear off, then watch the number of people agreeing with me grow. This will just stand as a "I said it first" thread.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yeah really can't judge so soon, especially after only playing it for 10 levels.
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've played every class to 60, the HR experience is the same as every other class. There are times when it is easy and times when its hard, & your gear matters at most levels (my live HR is getting some bad drops). One of the times the HR shines is the first 10 levels. Hit Tower District and you start seeing those green Seismic Shot bugs, if people are burning dailies out of boss fights they are not having an easy task, suggests that the class is on target.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Shadowmantle went to test shard Oct 30th, on the Nov 12th patch the HR had it's damage to most skills nerfed. The class is now more along the lines where it should be as somethings were tweaked before going Live. You should read the patch notes for the Preview shard on all this. You will see what we are talking about.
  • Options
    voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I Guess you didn't play when the class first hit test server and every one cried they were OP only doing low lvl content and we got nerfed thanks to it. I will say plz dont give feedback on How OP or UnP a class is until you actually play it at lvl 60 in PvP and PvE.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't think it's OP, I've only got my HR to lvl 15 and I haven't had to use any pots because I got myself a CD nursemaid. But it no better or worse than a GF, who can just block/tank everything and wear them down.

They can be a little bit of a glass cannon, much like the TR I'd assume, though I've never run a TR, I've seen enough in combat to notice that the HR is similar in some ways.

I am finding that the HR is insanely fun to play ... :) It's almost ... obscene ... how much fun it is. I love the combination of Ranged + Melee! It takes a little practicing, but after playing a GWF, I'm used to hitting TAB frequently and paying real close attention to AP and Stamina
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • Options
    xmousepadxxmousepadx Member Posts: 381 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    voltomey wrote: »
    I Guess you didn't plat when the class first hit test server and every one cried they were OP only doing low lvl content and we got nerfed thanks to it. I will say plz dont give feedback on How OP or UnP a class is until you actually play it at lvl 60 in PvP and PvE.

^just this!
    I wanna tell u something:
    HR is the best class at low lvl and YES ''unbalanced'' compared to other classes!
    WHY?
    Well just because we unlock our best at-will at lvl 2! NO other class has that aoe potential at that lvl!
    But as soon as other classes catch up it's pretty similar and at lvl 60 HR isn't even close to be ''op''.
    Maybe it feels like it cuz 99% of the playerbase doesnt know how to deal with HR!

The only thing that is ''op'', is the fun that this class offers u!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I've never liked the argument "You don't know jack until you hit endgame". It's a lame excuse for a class that is unbalanced and fighting to remain that way. I have no angst towards the class or any other. My observations are purely from a game play point of view.
  • Options
    voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I've never liked the argument "You don't know jack until you hit endgame". It's a lame excuse for a class that is unbalanced and fighting to remain that way. I have no angst towards the class or any other. My observations are purely from a game play point of view.

Its not a lame Excuse you cant fully Tell a classes Max Potential just because it has a easier time Wiping out Mobs In PvE i have some advice Go from 1 to 60 without ever using split shot. Arguably the only reason the class seems so OP is cuas of this 1 At will IMHO
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thereisnotry7thereisnotry7 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've just got my HR to lvl 10, and I'm having a BLAST! I do enjoy the CW, but the HR just feels so much more like home. As an indication, the last time I played Neverwinter before yesterday was...5 months ago...now I can't wait to get back to it with HR. The HR has completely renewed my interest in the game. Oh, and btw, my character is a drow, but his name is NOT Drizzt! :p

My 10-year-old son said that the Ranger is by far the best class now, because I can annihilate entire mob groups in one shot. Therefore, I'm grateful to those of you who are offering the perspective that comes from playing the HR at higher levels. I don't want it to be OP...nor U(nder)P. I'm glad that most people are finding that it is about right, especially at the higher levels. In a month or two, perhaps it will become clear that some tweaks will need to be made...but for now, I think it's fine.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ranger is very good at lower levels but it doesn't seem to scale a well as say a TR or CW. By level 30ish things have evened (perhaps more than evened out). So I REALLY hope that the Devs don't end up nerfing the hell out of the HR based on a few people complaining about how good they are in the first 10 levels, and leaving HRs useless at 60.

At the least, early feedback should be taken with a couple of Ocean's worth of Sodium Chloride until we get a better idea of the class' performance in Epic Dungeons.
  • Options
    netblaze2netblaze2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    its kinda funny that people are saying nurf... Have they even check to see if ther using that purple bow at low lvls? Also the gear... 10 lvls of playing and saying nerf.. The rogue can kill things just as fast at low lvl.. Should it be nurfed also? We finally have another class that is a striker (rogue and Ranger)..... I still don't understand why a control wiz can do more single target dps then a Ranger... They are control not strikers...
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Another.. the GWF use to be just like the Ranger at low lvls and in dungeon when it use to get its aoe atwill at lvl1.... They nurfed the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of it and not one even use's aoe.... The game has been missing strong aoe dmg.. Now we have it...
  • Options
    bongiebongie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Lvl 60 13k gearscore.. its no more OP than say a stealthed lurkers lashing blade.. yes i can 1 shot most people in pvp but so can a TR and HR is just as squishy.. Thats using an at-will which can be used more frequent than a stealthed lashing but if you take the slightest bit of dmg the casting of aimed is cancelled and it has a bright green glow to let people know your about to go BOOM. So dont scream OP NERF NERF NERF when the GWF is insanely OP'ed and only getting better with the new gear..
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    bongie wrote: »
    Lvl 60 13k gearscore.. its no more OP than say a stealthed lurkers lashing blade.. yes i can 1 shot most people in pvp but so can a TR and HR is just as squishy.. Thats using an at-will which can be used more frequent than a stealthed lashing but if you take the slightest bit of dmg the casting of aimed is cancelled and it has a bright green glow to let people know your about to go BOOM. So dont scream OP NERF NERF NERF when the GWF is insanely OP'ed and only getting better with the new gear..

the GWF is OP? When did this happen? Its been nurfed so many times lol... The aoe dmg that the ranger does now that was the gwf....How is GWF OP?
  • Options
    ravenlock99ravenlock99 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Get to level 60 then talk. Calling for nerfs after 10 levels makes you look like a fool.