test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My feedback about the new Refining system

Comments

• juniper78juniper78 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    so here is the problem i have with the new system.
    I take a refine and upgrade a rank 1 rune (doesn't matter the type) I used the exact amount of refinement points so when it is upgraded to rank 2 its is 0/60 refinement points, then i do the exact same thing a hour or so later with the same type of rune. Well now i have 2 upgraded runes from rank 1 to rank 2 sitting at 0/60 well guess what these dont stack. they need to figure a way to let these stack cause unless you are going to take a rune from rank 1 to what ever rank you need to apply to your item you are wear upgrading runes isn't worth the time.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    juniper78 wrote: »
    so here is the problem i have with the new system.
    I take a refine and upgrade a rank 1 rune (doesn't matter the type) I used the exact amount of refinement points so when it is upgraded to rank 2 its is 0/60 refinement points, then i do the exact same thing a hour or so later with the same type of rune. Well now i have 2 upgraded runes from rank 1 to rank 2 sitting at 0/60 well guess what these dont stack. they need to figure a way to let these stack cause unless you are going to take a rune from rank 1 to what ever rank you need to apply to your item you are wear upgrading runes isn't worth the time.

Yes, they do stack, if they are both 0/60. You just have to manually put the first on top of the second. Unless you haven't upgraded yet? Sorry for the confusion if that is the case.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    shunterino wrote: »
    Yes there are supposed to be places you can earn them in game, but they are super, super rare drops and on top of that in places where 5 people will be vying for them.
    Not as rare as they seem. In two days of casual play (a few hours each day doing dailies and running 3 dungeons) I got 2 blues and a few greens (4 I think). I do believe that the green and blue ones need to be a lot more frequent as even casual players should be able to get R7s. I hope in a few weeks they'll be more common, even the purple ones. What I wonder is if the purple ones in the AH are from the AD store or are they boss drops.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • juniper78juniper78 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    then im bugged or something cause mine are not stacking i have tried dropping on top of each other and nothing happens, they are upgraded and both say 0/60 but they wont stack
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would have been fine with a 'new' system without the addition of the reagents or whatever they are called now. Especially since you still have the same failure percentage rate so you still need the wards. I really think they designed the system how they wanted to implement it, and how it currently is now, and then overdesigned it with the additional AD cost during beta so when people complained about how much it sucked they'd back that off and everyone would be like "See? The developers listen to feedback" but in actuality the put in the system they wanted from the beginning.

Yes. The reagents drop in game but I leveled a HR to 60, did all the quests and opened nearly every skill node and ended up with 8 of them total and they were all the green variety. So saying "they drop in the game so quit complaining" is a pretty weak argument. For most people they WILL have to go and buy them in game with AD. It's just an additional cost people didn't have before. I'm not buying the whole we wanted to make the refining system more enjoyable BS they tried passing off. As it's implemented now it's just another AD sink pure and simple and doesn't add any "enjoyment" to the equation.
  • yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I find this refining system much too complex. Before it was easy to understand. 4 of each kind and a ward to save their loss. Now there is so much build around refining that it has received so much attention in a game that is focussed about mobs and dungeons.

Instead of tons of enchants you now carry tons of different marks around and are always unsure which combination of marks you will need to upgrade something. On top of that you have different refining stones that add refining points, a system where you can forge gauntlets that lets you pull stuff out of coffers to receive... stuff for refining.

It looks like an endless dump now where I have to throw hundreds, thousands of enchants into several items and then at certain points I need the right marks to upgrade it OR even another enchant (armor and weapon enchants).

Why is this feature now the most complex one in the whole game now? Neverwinter is now Neverrefining or what? Crafting is kids' play in comparison, dungeon mechanics are easy understandable, everything else but now we have such a monster feature that only lead to even more spam in trade where people trade and sell refining stuff.

Also now people just grind dungeons for the marks. Yesterday in VT someone left rightaway after he got the drop from the first boss, because that is all most people now want from dungeons.

Seriously. Why not just start with shards. And by fusing them with more shards you level them up, just like you level your char. And then at certain points just use a ward to go to the next level. That would be it. No need for anything else in such a system.
  • isakongmingisakongming Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The problem with the system ISNT that its too complex, its that it does not do what they stated they made the changes to do.

They said that many people were holding onto their runestones and it was taking up a ton of pack space, this implies that people were hording due to various reasons. So, making such a change that it requires yet another reagent to upgrade in a system that DID NOT require such a thing makes upgrading what everyone was hording extremely difficult due to now need a TON of reagents to get rid of what they have. And what do these reagents do? Take up MORE PACK SPACE in the process.

Secondly. They added these new reagents while still requiring wards which goes against their saying that these changes are being made to make upgrading easier while at the same time making the higher level reagents extremely expensive due to most of them being received only by raiders...thus making the highest level runestones nearly an elitist only item.

This is where someone once again points out that they can be bought on the Wonderous Bazaar...a cost that is high AND was not there before. The previous system wasn't broke in such a way that it requires this drastic change. They should have only made it so you can use other runestones to upgrade instead of having to use the same ones.

Also, they made the god **** wards BOUND, cant sell OR discard...seriously?
  • cbrowne0329cbrowne0329 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I love the new system. Upgraded all my characters enchants for much less, and in less time than it would have taken before. Unslotting for GOLD! Using LESS Coalescent wards... yeah I'm all for it!

Someone said simple minds, and I thought it was rude. Then I read some of the comments and chuckled... he may have been right.
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Unslotting for GOLD!

...I didn't use and I don't use! Thanks so much for this!
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Wait, so you keep training runes on your companions and stuff? Even when they're max level?

Coz you don't have to now: stick em on a new companion you're levelling up.
    Runes and enchants can now be yours for your entire adventuring career, upgrade them in situ when you can, reslot when you get nicer armour/weapons/whatevers.

isakongming: the reason they previously took up so much bag space was because you could only upgrade in multiples of 4, so you could have

3 R2 radiants
    3 R3 radiants
    3 R4 radiants
    3 R5 radiants
    3 R6 radiants

All of which you couldn't upgrade, and you'd be holding onto those R6s so you could make a 7 and finally slot it. And that's just radiants. (and, if you're me, you'd finally get a R2 radiant and it would fail first time)

Now you can stick ALL of those into one or two of the R6s. And you can slot those right now, and upgrade them whenever.

It's a more expensive system (at least for the mid-range enchants), but overall it's soooo much kinder on bag space.
  • desolator777desolator777 Member Posts: 58
    edited December 2013
    The structure and logic and math of the new system is quite good. The overall point of it is quite good. The problem is, the NPC vendor cost of the stupid mandatory materials. It's absurd! Before, to go from 5 to 6, it was free and wise to use a preservation ward. Now it's 25k AD and still semi-requires a ward.

Oops, I guess nobody checked if a level 6 runestone or enchantment of any type was actually worth 25k in the first place at level 6. Oh gee, it's not. Even darks are like 23k. It's mostly that specific level that's wrong, though 6 to 7 is overpriced a bit as well. 7 to 8 seems well priced overall. 8 to 9 is a bit much though, mostly because it requires another 8.

The NPC vendor cost of lvl1-3 runestones (at wondrous bazaar) is completely off the wall mental crazy but nobody cares because only ones from in-game drops get sold in the AH at 1/100th the price. People keep saying the green and blue fusing materials drop often but clearly not often enough, since I keep selling blues at 21k and the vendor price is 25k. I don't think the price will get any better even months from now if they don't up the drop rate or have medium level monsters drop them or something.
  • isakongmingisakongming Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    isakongming: the reason they previously took up so much bag space was because you could only upgrade in multiples of 4, so you could have

3 R2 radiants
    3 R3 radiants
    3 R4 radiants
    3 R5 radiants
    3 R6 radiants

All of which you couldn't upgrade, and you'd be holding onto those R6s so you could make a 7 and finally slot it. And that's just radiants. (and, if you're me, you'd finally get a R2 radiant and it would fail first time)

Now you can stick ALL of those into one or two of the R6s.

Now go back and actually read ALL of my post and PERHAPS, perhaps...you may actually see where I say that that the system wasn't broke in such a way that it required MORE than just making it so you can use other runestones to upgrade. My post was about their adding new regeants and making wards not only bound but also so you cant sell OR even discard them. so in their changing the system they made Coffers of wondrous augmentation unsellable along with the wards basically making Celestial Synergy a personal use only removing its value.

This new system was made for end game, new players and those recently entering the game cant afford to take part in this as the new reagent cost is high end. It was unnecessary.
    edited December 2013
    Why would you need ranks 6s etc before end game? Quite honestly... my first character ever when I reached end game had close to 75KAD... after unslotting runes etc, and trying to get coal wards etc. Had this system been in place THEN... by the time I reached 60 I would have been well over 200K AD. Not to mention the stuff drops in epic dungeons making you NOT have to buy them. The only reason you would buy them from vendor is if you already have the AD to throw around.

With all that being said... I wish this system in it's current form, had existed since day one!
  • kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    People need to quit saying this system is simple. It is NOT SIMPLE!

FACT: There are more questions about the "new" system on the forums right now than any other topic
    FACT: There are 12 New Reagents aka "marks" we now have to collect: Power, Potency, Union & Stability
    FACT: There are 10 New "RP" items to collect
    FACT: There is a requirement to now retain all this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that far exceeds what people saved before.

Easy for you? GREAT!!!

Sure, you can refine your enchants with RP items and lower rank enchants, but it takes an insane amount of clicking once you get to R6+. Further, it takes time, time that MOST people find bothersome and downright boring.

EX: If someone wants to throw 198 x R3 Silvery Enchantments at something, let us do ALL 198! NOT 5.

The rest of us don't care to fill our minds with useless info. I just want to enjoy the damned game in a semi-mindless manner. Adding the above issues with guides like Melody's to the swath of information that was already HERE and you have more information than most care to retain in a game.

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple Stupid

This system is anything but ^THAT
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • rafa2306rafa2306 Member Posts: 44
    edited December 2013
    I hate the new enchant system. Was just trying to get my vorpal enchant to greater. First don't have the AD for the greater marks of potency I need. So endless farming for that. Been playing everyday since new module hits and haven't seen one yet.

I also need endless RP, I put in all my weapon/armor shards (I haven't sold any since i started playing months ago), and the peridots I had and it's not half way up the over 100k points I need (just to get the vorpal ready, I still need to create another vorpal as reagent, so that's another bunch of RP.

Inv friendly? didn't think so, unless i dispose of everything i find right away, all those marks and peridots are more stuff to manage.

And the coals? price in AH are expensive (though the zen ones they wanna push on us are still much mroe expensive). Got 4 coffers this week, which meant 1 pres ward and 3 peridots, that together dont make even the RP a single weapon/armor shard does. Useless.

So disappointed.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This new system hasn't made me any more eager or willing to slot enchants on my low level character. The only thing I've really benefited from it is that I can feed runes or enchants that I don't want or need to my artifact...

The change to the cost to unslot enchants is also nice.

Now make transmutations cost gold instead, and we'd be set...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • jasoncgsjasoncgs Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The system can do without turning Wards into bound items so those of us that don't care or need them can sell them to those that do AND if the cost was removed from low level runestones, having the current cost makes it un-affordable for new players. Don't let them do what they did to STO and make systems for end gamers only driving players away only to then finally fix it years later when its too late.

Refinement did not need those 2 changes to fix it.
  • tipsyjasontipsyjason Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Making Wards a bound item makes no sense at all. What was the point of that other than making AD harder to get. Also I can confirm that this is hard on new players, we had several in our guild talking about how they cant afford to upgrade their runestones anymore where before the update they only needed 4 of each and it was free.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that this is a game, not just an end game where everyone is already established. We need to keep the new players in mind also.
  • tahlloltahllol Banned Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For wanting to make the enchantment system easier and simpler they did just the opposite, its more expensive, and takes a ton more of the previous enchantments to upgrade now. It was easier before this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> update.
  • wolonggongwolonggong Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    easier and simpler is a relative term. the problem with the system is that it adds an AD cost to new players where there shouldn't be one and also WHY THE HELL DID THE MAKE WARDS BOUND?!?

That right there makes no sense other than to make it a harder to get AD.
  • smorztheoriginalsmorztheoriginal Banned Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I found out the hard way that if you try and refine an artifact that isn't bound to you, it binds to you without any warning message.
    Wasted Million or so AD upgrading a blue artifact that wasn't bound to me, I never equipped it, to purple for one of my alts only to find when I tried to mail it I couldn't because now it is bound to me. Fun.
    edited December 2013
    kolbe11 wrote: »
    People need to quit saying this system is simple. It is NOT SIMPLE!

As far as I read... no one said the system was simple... they said SIMPLE MINDS. This means to me, that yeah you need to be SLIGHTLY intelligent to understand the system.

As for new players... my NEW untwinked ranger is using the new system and it's been so much better for me, than when I was leveling my other toons. It's not more expensive. It's not harder. I can level up many of the enchants in different pieces of armor at the same time. Unslot them later and then combine. This makes my GS higher, and allows me to use them later to make even better enchants. Before I would either have to A) Junk the item with the enchant in it, which was a waste... or B) spend a TON of AD to unslot it , then let it sit until I had enough of the same type to upgrade.

This system is INFINITELY better! It has room for improvement, but it is still INFINITELY better.
    edited December 2013
    The only problem I had so far is how rare the blue Marks needed for Artifacts are. I found a few of the ones needed for Enchantments, but the ones you need to upgrade Artifacts seem impossible to find. At the same time however I see there are hundreds on them in the AH. Where do these people find these Marks of Power?
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    khimera906 wrote: »
    At the same time however I see there are hundreds on them in the AH. Where do these people find these Marks of Power?

Are they more than 10% higher than the cost of buying them from the Bazaar? If so, then ........
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Can't buy the artifact upgrading stuff at the WB. I would guess they're from the artifact pack that's one of the current lockbox goodies.

Edit:
    Though actually, I did get some kind of blue mark from epic Karrundax. Union, I think.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • guaraguao34guaraguao34 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The system is not simple if its the first time you are dealing with it (meaning you didnt went to the preview shard), and its not complicated once you take a little time to learn it, at least basics. The ONLY THING that made this system horrible was.......THE **** CATALYST/REAGENT. Remove those things, or at least let them have some sort of bonus that gives a bit more % to the success rate (10 - 30 % depending on the level), and raise the drop rate, slightly at least, also lower their price in the bazaar. Hey you did awesome by removing the cost when unslotting, since according to you guys it was the reason people were not using the system much or were not happy with it. You could simply slot an enchantment on top of the existing one. With all due respect, i keep saying it was a lame excuse to do what you guys did. But you did nothing really because now we have to pay some outrageous price to get an item that simply make no sense in the system. I still would like to have someone explain to ALL OF US, why the marks aka catalysts/reagents were necessary in the system. Those things are the only problem with this "refinement system".
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    wolonggong wrote: »
    easier and simpler is a relative term. the problem with the system is that it adds an AD cost to new players where there shouldn't be one and also WHY THE HELL DID THE MAKE WARDS BOUND?!?

That right there makes no sense other than to make it a harder to get AD.

They have systematically removed every single method of making reasonable amount of AD on a daily basis and then added a new refinement system that has HUGE AD paywall's at every level above 6 , sooooo glad I'm not a new player and I genuinely feel sorry for the new players.
    edited December 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Are they more than 10% higher than the cost of buying them from the Bazaar? If so, then ........
    I was talking about Marks used for Artifacts and those are not available in the Bazaar.

Thanks beckylunatic,I missed that little bit of info about the lockboxes. You can get them from nodes and bosses in epic dungeons but they are very rare, but so far I am very unlucky.
  • yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    As far as I read... no one said the system was simple... they said SIMPLE MINDS. This means to me, that yeah you need to be SLIGHTLY intelligent to understand the system.

The problem is not that you can't understand it, it is complex. That is a difference. You can give a 5 year old kid a jigsaw puzzle with 20 pieces or with 2000. I am sure it will understand that both are working all the same way, yet the one with 2000 pieces will be too complex.

Could you tell me from the top of your head what marks I would need to upgrade Valindra's Crown artifact from blue to purple? Can you tell me rightaway which mark you need for making something a lvl 9 enchant? I can't. I have to look those things up and I always have to look in my bag which combinations of marks I have with me and which is still missing and I have to look through my enchants on my items which is at what level and which is upgradable only to see that I am missing a blue mark while I already have purple marks stacking in my bag. Also I can't say how much refining points a level 6 enchant will put into the refining process. To make the best use out of the system I have to also check the colors, too, for the bonus when I put azure on azure (and thus not wasting refining points).

The system is complex. It needs a lot of thinking, remembering and trial and error. And this is NOT the main feature of this MMO. This is a game about dungeoneering. It is not a game focussed around refining enchantments. So enchanting should be kept simple. Simple does not mean easy to finish (no one says you should be fast in getting rank 10s), but easy means that it is a system that doesn't have a lot stuff build around them. Currently with have different enchants, different refinining points, matching bonusses, less refine points for higher enchants, additional armor/weapon enchants you need during upgrading, we have all sort of marks, we have 2 sorts of wards, we have different gauntlets for mini-dungeons to pull refining stuff out of coffers, we have critical success rates for refining, we have items than only give refining points, we can refine artifacts like we can do with enchants, marks drop in dungeons or in skill nodes, can be bought and so on...
  • froszztfroszzt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 284 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    this could be said about anything that you want to fill your inventory with.

if your play style remains the same after the changes, then yeah... but if you take the time to feed refine points into your enchants/runestones/artifacts then you don't need to carry around the extra baggage. you can feed slotted enchants/runestones/artifacts and you can feed individual upgrade items in your inventory. if you add refine points to an item in your inventory, the item is no longer stackable.

so really, it's just a different way of managing your inventory. it's no different than having to go to a merchant to sell items you've picked up during game play.

but to each their own. no one can force you to change your play style. but there are better and more efficient ways to handle it.

Mhm, what if you only want to upgrade a certain thing but you can't progress with that since you do not have the mark needed.

Just throw all the runes/shards away on something else to make room in your inventory?

And why is the "rare" marks more rare than the "very rare" marks? I have a crapload of purple marks (except the potency mark since you actually need that...) and very few rare marks. And the "rare" marks I do have is not what I need to progress in my artifacts.

I need the "rare" mark of power to both. One to get to lvl 30 and the other to get to lvl 60. I have already used my one and only mark of power. I have found ONE, don't even know where from. And I have played a lot. It will take years to upgrade my stuff since I miss the only reagents that even matter to me but have all the others.. Ofc this is done by design to get my money.

EPIC marks should be more rare than RARE marks, PERIOD!

And for the love of god, if you are going to force me to have the mark of power to all the good stuff, make it drop somewhere! They are on AH for 250k atm. LOL!