test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My feedback about the new Refining system

sirdrakadensirdrakaden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited December 2013 in PvE Discussion
I have to say, i am highly disappointed by the new changes made to the upgrading system.

The pro is that it is easier to handle, you just put whatever you want to ditch into the refining and you use them up, that's great, it allows to have some use for the more useless runestones.

The bad? There is so many bad...

1. It now demand more runestones to upgrade a single runestone now, previously it was a flat 4 of the same type, now you can use way more, that's partially understandable because now you can just use any kind to upgrade them, but it's still pretty bad.

2. Your new system hog up even MORE bag space with all those marks, as if our bags weren't full enough with your excessive amount of items, hell you guys don't even have a stable for horses, what's the point of keeping extra horses if they just hog precious bag space? You guys need to help managing the bag space better, NOT make it worse! And since were on the topic, your bags are shark cash pricy, you guys excess at seeing this: $, i would probably make it invisible and you'd still see it 100 miles away.

3. It is now HIGHLY inaccessible to upgrade any runestones and enchantments, hell i was planning to use that new system to try and get some enchantments shard upgraded, but NO, you guys just made it even MORE inaccessible by making marks SUPER difficult to get, since the higher quality marks cannot be found in-game, or nearly completely impossible, the only viable way to get them is through lockboxes, and what does it takes to open lockboxes? Yea, you guys guessed it: $.

That's my feedback, i find this refining system to be horrible.
Post edited by sirdrakaden on

Comments

• noxisstnoxisst Member Posts: 105
    edited December 2013
    The only thing they did wrong was they made it too difficult to understand for, well those of a simpler mind. I spent many hours last night working numbers, and you can see the results in my post below yours..
    "If you don't know who I am, then maybe your best course would be to tread lightly" -- Walter White
  • tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    3. It is now HIGHLY inaccessible to upgrade any runestones and enchantments, hell i was planning to use that new system to try and get some enchantments shard upgraded, but NO, you guys just made it even MORE inaccessible by making marks SUPER difficult to get, since the higher quality marks cannot be found in-game, or nearly completely impossible, the only viable way to get them is through lockboxes, and what does it takes to open lockboxes? Yea, you guys guessed it: $.

Super hard to get? It hasn't even been ONE DAY since the new system started. Give it a little time, sheesh.
    And no, the higher quality stuff CAN be found in-game. Again, it's been a whole whopping ONE DAY. Give people a chance to start finding them and the economy to establish itself.
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    You can level all enchants by buying the Marks from the Wounderous Bazar. Epics cost 100k each x2 for Rank 7-10. Plus you'll need Prez Wards & tons of enchants as fodder for refinement. It's pretty expensive if you don't have material purchased before MOD 2.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You can get blue and purple marks from epic dungeons. The blues are found in chests and skill nodes. The purples drop from bosses. I'm guessing the drop rate is low but they are available in game for free.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • wildfire412001wildfire412001 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    noxisst wrote: »
    The only thing they did wrong was they made it too difficult to understand for, well those of a simpler mind. I spent many hours last night working numbers, and you can see the results in my post below yours..

my thoughts exactly ... too hard to understand for simpler minds ... i guess i'm just simple ... it was way easier to just drop 4 in and go than to do all this new stuff ... be better if i had a video to watch it being done, but that's just me :(
  • radiick507radiick507 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    my thoughts exactly ... too hard to understand for simpler minds ... i guess i'm just simple ... it was way easier to just drop 4 in and go than to do all this new stuff ... be better if i had a video to watch it being done, but that's just me :(

Add me to the list of "simple"!!! I can't even be bothered spending time figuring it out, just was so much more methodological the last time. Now you practically need a degree in math, physics, engineering, accounting and space bio-sociology just to comprehend it from start to finish.

So I ask for the peeps like me, simple minded and not mathematically inclines, not an engineering incline to please post a baby steps video on how to do it. Heck I will donate to the local food bank on your behalf...........!
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    radiick507 wrote: »
    So I ask for the peeps like me, simple minded and not mathematically inclines, not an engineering incline to please post a baby steps video on how to do it. Heck I will donate to the local food bank on your behalf...........!

Does it have to be video?
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?541751-Guide-to-the-New-Refinement-System
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • radiick507radiick507 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Thank you, this will do for now. But that means I actually have to read it...................hehehe! Much appreciated, it will at least give me some insight, and , no promises that I will comprehend it? Will read it nonetheless.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The system is pretty simple.

Put enhancements, runes, or shards into the group of five boxes and than click the button to refine them into what you are trying to boost. This fills up the yellow bar until it's totally full, at which point you can attempt to increase the rank of whatever you are trying to boost.

To attempt to increase the rank you will need an appropriate mark. The percentage chance to increase what you are boosting to the next rank will be displayed. If you try to increase the rank and you fail you will lose the mark, unless you protect it by using a green ward. If a blue ward is used, the chance shifts to 100%, what you are trying to boost ranks up, and the blue ward is destroyed.
    edited December 2013
    So you mean you loose the Mark if you fail, not the runes you slotted in the original box plus the 5 boxes. Just wanted to make sure. And you loose nothing is you slot a green coal ward?
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So you mean you loose the Mark if you fail, not the runes you slotted in the original box plus the 5 boxes. Just wanted to make sure. And you loose nothing is you slot a green coal ward?

You do not lose refining points. You lose your reagents (marks, matching enchant if one is required). You protect your reagents using the wards. Green wards are preservation, which keep you from losing things. Failure destroys the ward, but nothing else.

Blue wards are coalescent, and guarantee a successful upgrade. Since they will always be consumed if used, you want to save them for only the upgrades with the smallest chance of success.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited December 2013

Correct:

Failure - You lose the Marks & Duplicate Enchant if one is needed (To prevent lost of Marks & Duplicate Enchant you need to use a GREEN or BLUE Wards.)

Success - The Marks & Duplicate Enchant if one is needed are consumed.
  • chaddiwickerchaddiwicker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm disappointed in this new system as well. It is not intuitive. I had to experiment to figure it out which lead to waste and a bunch of filled bag space. Maybe it'll be better with a new character and starting from scratch, but starting it on my 60 was unclear and frustrating.

I can't comment yet on the availability and cost of marks, but the prior system just seemed easier even if it was difficult for the poor, casual player to get high ranking enchants.
  • haelrahaelra Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm disappointed in this new system as well. It is not intuitive. I had to experiment to figure it out which lead to waste and a bunch of filled bag space. Maybe it'll be better with a new character and starting from scratch, but starting it on my 60 was unclear and frustrating.

I can't comment yet on the availability and cost of marks, but the prior system just seemed easier even if it was difficult for the poor, casual player to get high ranking enchants.

Agreed.

As a non-elite, poor, casual player, I did not expect to ever get high ranking enchantments. Now, with the new system, it looks much harder to get mid ranking enchants due to the completely new marks and things needed to upgrade them. I did not need them before. Sure, I need fewer dropped base enchants to start from, but those were easy to get. But now these entirely new required reagents are in the way.

I have a suggestion. Remove the reagent requirements below rank 7. Or better, remove them for all ranks, and double the amount of refinement points needed to refine to the next upgrade point. Leave the chance of failure and wards system in place. Yeah, I know they're not changing any this in any significant way. They're going to patiently wait for the storm of protests to pass, and keep the system for good or ill.
    edited December 2013
    haelra wrote: »
    Agreed.

As a non-elite, poor, casual player, I did not expect to ever get high ranking enchantments. Now, with the new system, it looks much harder to get mid ranking enchants due to the completely new marks and things needed to upgrade them. I did not need them before. Sure, I need fewer dropped base enchants to start from, but those were easy to get. But now these entirely new required reagents are in the way.

I have a suggestion. Remove the reagent requirements below rank 7. Or better, remove them for all ranks, and double the amount of refinement points needed to refine to the next upgrade point. Leave the chance of failure and wards system in place. Yeah, I know they're not changing any this in any significant way. They're going to patiently wait for the storm of protests to pass, and keep the system for good or ill.

The purpose of the reagents are to slow down the progress or cause a money sink. So this will not be removed.
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    The purpose of the reagents are cause a money sink. So this will not be removed.

Fixed.

Ran epic spell, not a single mark dropped from a skillnode, chest, boss or a DD chest.

I have a suggestion: what if T1 dungeon DD chest had a chance like 30% to drop blue mark of potency? And T2 chest had 60% chance for blue and 30% for epic? Now, it seems like the only chance to get those marks ate the wondrous bazaar or lockboxes.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
    edited December 2013
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    Fixed.

Ran epic spell, not a single mark dropped from a skillnode, chest, boss or a DD chest.

I have a suggestion: what if T1 dungeon DD chest had a chance like 30% to drop blue mark of potency? And T2 chest had 60% chance for blue and 30% for epic? Now, it seems like the only chance to get those marks ate the wondrous bazaar or lockboxes.

You can farm the nodes in T1's & T2's.
    edited December 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    You can farm the nodes in T1's & T2's.

They still don't drop anything. Didn't mention I hate these dungeons and I always try to avoid them as much as possible.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    mod note: this thread has been cleansed. pay to win arguments are against the forum rules of conduct. it's okay to discuss this system in a respectful and constructive way. flaming the developers or the company or any user is against the forum rules of conduct.

please reference the official dev blog concerning the changes in the item progression system.

you can also reference this simplified guide.

do not discuss the moderation of this thread. instead, send a PM to the community moderators and/or the community managers if you'd like to discuss it. thanks.
  • deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 185
    edited December 2013
    Honestly my only Con- on the subject are reagents, ad their AD cost. Everyone was excited about the removal of AD cost on gem removal, but all they did was move that cost to the initial crafting. So if you were a cheap skate who never used gems till end game you actually use to be able to save AD that way, now you're forced to use it period.
  • lordbane40lordbane40 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 32
    edited December 2013
    Honestly my only Con- on the subject are reagents, ad their AD cost. Everyone was excited about the removal of AD cost on gem removal, but all they did was move that cost to the initial crafting. So if you were a cheap skate who never used gems till end game you actually use to be able to save AD that way, now you're forced to use it period.

The real ripoff isn't the new enchanting system, it's the Active Slot pet bonus system. Massive AD/money sink with some of the best bonuses being from item store pets.
  • redyummiredyummi Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I put my post on other boards and on STEAM so people are aware of the dislike of this new refining system. Maybe PWE will get the message and change the system so casual players without alot of cash can enjoy the games at the higher levels too.
  • plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    this system take more slots in the bag, its so bad that I am afraid to try it now
    got many rank 4 waiting to be rank 5.
    I didn't find even one lesser mark of potency...
    even for low level ranks its bad...
  • kirkcaldykirkcaldy Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It was so simple a system before and it worked great.
    Now its just a hassle.
    So much faffing about to do the stuff,
    has put me right off it.

Theres an old saying " If its not broken, then don't try to fix it. "
    I think its partly apt for this situation.
    Also, I am a believer of " The simpler the better "

:rolleyes:
  • shunterinoshunterino Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The whole "free up space" argument turns out to be utter rubbish. Yes you can funnel any and all enchants into your slotted enchants, but only until you reach the next level and then you need a bunch of reagents, which are rare as hen's teeth. So you sit there with all your gems with full yellow bars and nothing to do. Meanwhile gems still fill your inventory, plus a bunch of low level reagents you have no use for. So poorly thought out you wouldn't believe it possible. Somebody send the devs a picture of a bottleneck, maybe it will makes sense to them then.
  • tommybostictommybostic Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I hate the new system. Thats all.
    edited December 2013
    After the update 1 Epic Spell, 2 Epic Karru, 1 Epic ToS + Dwarf King, not a single mark dropped from a skillnode, a chest, a boss or anywhere else.
  • sithxardhasithxardha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 37
    edited December 2013
    I really disliked old system. It was awkward and unwieldy. Never thought I`m going to miss it.
    Which is pretty sad, since I really enjoy the game itself (combat, quests, dnd lore). I'm just not ready to dedicate THAT much time to inventory management.
    edited December 2013
    shunterino wrote: »
    The whole "free up space" argument turns out to be utter rubbish. Yes you can funnel any and all enchants into your slotted enchants, but only until you reach the next level and then you need a bunch of reagents, which are rare as hen's teeth. So you sit there with all your gems with full yellow bars and nothing to do. Meanwhile gems still fill your inventory, plus a bunch of low level reagents you have no use for. So poorly thought out you wouldn't believe it possible. Somebody send the devs a picture of a bottleneck, maybe it will makes sense to them then.

this could be said about anything that you want to fill your inventory with.

if your play style remains the same after the changes, then yeah... but if you take the time to feed refine points into your enchants/runestones/artifacts then you don't need to carry around the extra baggage. you can feed slotted enchants/runestones/artifacts and you can feed individual upgrade items in your inventory. if you add refine points to an item in your inventory, the item is no longer stackable.

so really, it's just a different way of managing your inventory. it's no different than having to go to a merchant to sell items you've picked up during game play.

but to each their own. no one can force you to change your play style. but there are better and more efficient ways to handle it.
    edited December 2013
    kirkcaldy wrote: »
    It was so simple a system before and it worked great.
    Now its just a hassle.
    So much faffing about to do the stuff,
    has put me right off it.

Theres an old saying " If its not broken, then don't try to fix it. "
    I think its partly apt for this situation.
    Also, I am a believer of " The simpler the better "

:rolleyes:

simple in that no one really used it as intended? it was a rarity that anyone would unsocket anything. enchants were slotted and destroyed by dropping a new one over it. or people didn't slot anything until they had high level enchants. not to mention the number of shards/enchants/runestones as well as preservation wards/coalescent wards that it required to make high ranking items was ridiculous. and to some, unachievable. so they didn't bother.

so based on internal data, the devs changed it. fact is, it was broken. if you look at it in a realistic standpoint, nothing worthwhile is easy. but with the old fusion system, it was only possible for a few. with the new system, you can get the benefit from slotting your enchants/runestones and upgrading them while they're slotted. if you want to move things around, it's much cheaper to unslot your items. and every enchant/runestone has value and isn't wasted.

also, you should not upgrade items before you feed them for refinement points. you'll get more points by using them as they are found.

good luck!