test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please, merge the Shards.

Comments

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2013
    Multiple threads merged. Let's do stick to one thread at a time please. Thanks!
  • sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    When servers merge, bad sign usually. Means typically a significant drop-off on players on all of them.

Well, since there has been a significant drop in players they should merge the darn servers, lol.
  • sslothzzsslothzz Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Dunno, Dragon is well-populated. I guess the problem is on the other servers.
    And no, the developers are not only focused on adding new items to the zen shop - they are doing their job pretty well i'd say. Cuz i've seen what it means to do nothing to the game content - it is not Neverwinter case.
    And just for everyone to know: it is different teams working on different things. Items for zen shop are made by one team, game content is handled by another team, and bug fixes are done by another one team. That is called "efficient work organisation".
  • buffsmadbuffsmad Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I say merge the shards because that was always the intention. The longer it is left the more chance there is of different economies developing.

Its this delay that opens up devs to criticism of the action as being caused by population decline. Any lengthy delay suggests that it wasn't really an intention to merge but rather an upfront and transparent statement that it could happen should it be necessary.
  • filcfilc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This poll is pretty much useless. It was said multiple times that shards will eventually end up as one server. Not because of less population, but because that's how Cryptic games operate (see STO).

So there will be one huge server in future. It was planned from the start.
    edited September 2013
    filc wrote: »
    This poll is pretty much useless. It was said multiple times that shards will eventually end up as one server. Not because of less population, but because that's how Cryptic games operate (see STO).

So there will be one huge server in future. It was planned from the start.

Well, the future is now. "Eventually" doesn't mean squat. When will it happen? What's the plan? Let's hear some specifics from the developers on this.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Not going to happen. That means more supply in AH, prices dropping, and less people buying Zen to exchange for AD.

It has been the plan to merge them all along, so yes it is going to happen.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • maderiamaderia Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    carletto75 wrote: »
    merge means less population?
    Merge means more population on a single server.. This is good thing.
  • syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Mindflayer is a ghost town much of the day now, and queue's stretch on until they timeout. Gold spammers have more posts than the LFG channel does.

Your mindflayer and my mindflayer are entirely separate then o.O. Granted, I operate off of eastern standard, so that might have something to do with it. We still get enough people, on average, to have two instances of GG in the evening.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind a server merge. Mindflayer's economy could use a good deflation XD.
    contents to be decided
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Sorry, but we don't need more lag and latency. Dragon is horribly laggy these days, with a merge it would be worse.
  • whoamarkwhoamark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'm down with a merge, but if it means a lot more lag then I can wait until the population thins.
  • abzerothabzeroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited September 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Multiple threads merged. Let's do stick to one thread at a time please. Thanks!

At least something is getting merged now, and not in the "near future"! :D:D:D
    edited September 2013
    abzeroth wrote: »
    At least something is getting merged now, and not in the "near future"! :D:D:D

Hahhahahahahahahaha!!! Awesome.
  • esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    I don't get it...usually MMOs make different shards when they separate time zones. But the case here is we have shards that are just separated for no reason. Since all of them share the same time zone.

Are they on separate servers?
    edited September 2013
    esteena wrote: »
    I don't get it...usually MMOs make different shards when they separate time zones. But the case here is we have shards that are just separated for no reason. Since all of them share the same time zone.

Are they on separate servers?

I believe cuz when the game was released in beta, they wanted the population to not experience lag from too many people in the same server, and thus the three shards. The plan was to always put the three shards/servers back into 1 big one so it's a seemless world, but when will that happen? Sometime in the future.

They could still be trying to figure out how to make a stable server to host so many people, or maybe they want people to spend more Zen on companions/etc that arent account wide, who knows.

All we really know is that they say they want to merge the servers, but that's the only difinitive info we have.

Hope this helps.
  • bowdidlybowdidly Member Posts: 261 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    sslothzz wrote: »
    Dunno, Dragon is well-populated. I guess the problem is on the other servers.

I have played on Dragon since Beta weekends, i have 7 lvl 60's and used to play everyday up untill around 4 weeks ago, then i gave up after all the nerfs to characters, nerfs to proffs, coffers, box's, just about everything that made you grind somthing got nerfed to a point nothing was actually worth doing anymore, Even dungeons are not worth all the time and frustration of doing these days since the BoP.

And you say Dragon is well populated, it as now at the most 1/3 of the population it had 3 months ago with out a doubt and that includes loging in game at both EU and US prime times,

i loged on 2 days ago mid afternoon EU time, and there was a Total 284 players in Protectors Enclave across ALL instances and only 6 players in my instance, And to be honest i was realy shocked to see the place so empty which is why i checked the Instance counter.

Dragon as no were near the population it used to have, from my observations recently most players that are active are people lvling up, Most lvl 60's have left.

My guild has 464 members, they are all still there in the guild roster, but over the past 3 weeks i have only ever seen 1 other member online, and he only loged to see if anything had been fixed or changed then he loged. My friends list as over 60 people in it none at all have loged in the previous 2 weeks. Which is one of the reasons i dont realy play anymore, its just too quiet, no one to play with anymore.
    If you think it is busy now you have no idea at all how it used to be, even zone chat is near enough dead these days, in fact from what i see the gold sellers put more in chat than the players these days..
  • insomniacgluttoninsomniacglutton Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I would be very very very very very very very happy with a merge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mittensofdoommittensofdoom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Dragon is still well populated, we have 40 members online in my guild at peak time.. Tho I guess it is the most active guild..
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Dragon is down to 30% population from before fotf, which matches what people on other servers are experiencing.
    edited September 2013
    Dragon is down to 30% population from before fotf, which matches what people on other servers are experiencing.

That seems about right to me. About 2/3 less active players now then there were in early August on Beholder.
  • riftizdeadriftizdead Member Posts: 43
    edited September 2013
    Asking for shard merger ? you got it just a matter of time but mark my word, the very same persons who cry for shard merger will cry the loudest cry because the mother-of-all-lag will come at you. And then those very same people will cry for a lag fix.......
  • chipsterchipster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    We just need a 'cross-queue' LFG~
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    riftizdead wrote: »
    Asking for shard merger ? you got it just a matter of time but mark my word, the very same persons who cry for shard merger will cry the loudest cry because the mother-of-all-lag will come at you. And then those very same people will cry for a lag fix.......
    This is literally the most <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> thing ive read on the internet all day and all of us are dumber for having read it.

A) Population has nothing to do with lag in a completely instanced game. There is never more than 150 players in the same instance as you no matter how many players are in zone with you, and only pe has that high of a cap. Every other zone is 15-40 players max.

B) even if population did impact lag, merging 3 servers with 30% of their previous populations (with roughly equivalent numbers) together results in one server with 90% of the previous population before feywild, thus 10% less "lag" than before the populations plummeted.

Any server lag/latency that comes from server merges would be a result of pwe downgrading hardware or repurposing it for other/newer games/games in development.
  • drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Things seem good in my guild and on Dragon server. Dunno, but if your friends are putting their eggs in the FF14 basket they will be back here within a month. First release was so abysmal they had to shut it down for 2 years and remake it. Second release I can only think is primarily aimed at lifelong console gamers who have never experienced a good MMO. The features and mechanics, with a few exceptions, feel 5+ years old, and it is boring and bland. Good shader effects though ...

I guess if you're really really into FF in general then it should have more appeal.

Really the game population died off and they scrapped the game to make it better. This is what they should do with this game. I know 10 people playing FF14 they like it alot. I dont like FF games so i wont play that even if its going to be better then WoW.

I vote server merger. But it wont happen because they probly cant figure out how to do it, since they so called planned merging from the beginning. If they planned it from the beginning then why havnt they done so yet. Its just really funny that they will be doing it at the timing of the player base dropping.
    edited September 2013
    That seems about right to me. About 2/3 less active players now then there were in early August on Beholder.

The real question is, did people quit or all the kids are back at school? I personally quit, but I'm sure people going back to work/school really affected the number. I think if there was SOME way to get OFFICIAL stats from SOME GROUP of people it would be nice, but saying 1/3 is gone off cuz they quit could be wrong.

Honestly, I don't care if servers merge or not. Sure I'd have liked to play with my friends who were on another server, but they quit lol. So, yeah, let's see how the content is changed first.
  • herk412herk412 Banned Users Posts: 165 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    People have been leaving the game in droves.

Others have been banned en masse....

Even after a merge it's just a matter of time unless there are DRASTIC changes.
  • schulz87schulz87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    herk412 wrote: »
    People have been leaving the game in droves.

Others have been banned en masse....

Even after a merge it's just a matter of time unless there are DRASTIC changes.

THIS, there are LOTS quitting than people joining the game, even if you merge server its only a matter of time till players got tired and leave, its not the bugs, its the CONTENT, there is literally no end game in this game than farming dungeon all day long..

And Yeah the F....14? they stop selling accounts cause of MILLIONS of players subscribe to it, server cant hold till they increase server capacity and ones they do, expect population drop AGAIN.

I really liked this game, hope they do something to save it from falling apart
  • chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    jacksoon wrote: »
    The merge is an epic fail for give to a game only somemore times. do you think's people will rest after the merge whit all the bug we have atm? C'mon -.- the merge is only for pvp, so self clamed best palyer and guild can add some more tags to the belt -.- the day they will merge the server will be the same day i will delete the game from my HD

What the heck is this? And what does it even mean?
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    abzeroth wrote: »
    The real question is, did people quit or all the kids are back at school? I personally quit, but I'm sure people going back to work/school really affected the number. I think if there was SOME way to get OFFICIAL stats from SOME GROUP of people it would be nice, but saying 1/3 is gone off cuz they quit could be wrong.

Honestly, I don't care if servers merge or not. Sure I'd have liked to play with my friends who were on another server, but they quit lol. So, yeah, let's see how the content is changed first.

From the 300 people in my guild, most quit or moved onto a game which wasn't as two-dimensional (myself included).

I personally moved on looking for a game with a bit more depth than "PvE or PvP". FFXIV is very professionally made and polished. It's a sub game, so there is a lot less shenanigans and the community is much better in-game than Neverwinter. RMT are dealt with, instead of me logging in to hordes of dancing naked elf-girls in unison chanting some "buy here" song, or dead halfling bodies spelling out a website url.

I am not a FF fan. Watched Advent Children (good visuals and music, very hard to follow), but that's been about my exposure besides reading about it from [GM] Dave in FFXI. I'm not a fanboi, in other words. The game is just really well-made. There is a load of replayability, because instead of making 15 characters, you can just play your one character and level up every class in the game. Want to see the other starting zones? Level a different class. Want to play through the zone you just went through? Choose another class. And you can select those abilities from other classes you've leveled and toss them on - so you can heal whilst tanking. Or whatever you want to do.

Sadly, in Neverwinter, I can level all the classes to 60 (and have) in a few week's time. But there's really not much progression or replayability to the game. After you learn a class, they're only slightly different. Don't get me wrong, I love the action combat, and miss it when playing the tab-target game.

If there were more classes added, that might do a bit for it. If Foundry was actually a viable leveling path to 60, I'd probably return. But those things were never added or were exploited then never fixed properly. Most of the class abilities have been gutted as to mechanics, making the one thing in a class very shallow, instead of making them MORE interesting to play.

A similar "class" balancing was done by Cryptic for CoH, too. A wise player tried to tell the devs what they were doing wrong. We'll see if they read this or not, but the line was "I pay to be a hero, not some overglorified water-boy."

Honestly, that's what's missing from this game, and why many of my friends, guild-mates and others have moved onto FFXIV or are busy beta-testing TESO. There are issues within the game that sort of could be superficially hadnled with server merges, but in the end, the game itself needs more in order to retain a good number of players.
  • jn2002dk1jn2002dk1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yea the shards needs to merge but more than that, they need to stop bleeding players

I don't understand why they don't focus on the Foundry

They have this massive pool of content. Why not making Foundry quests relevant as end game?
    If they're scared of giving us more AD from them then let us farm some kind of seals to use on gear. Of course it should only apply to quests over a certain length but they could even scale the rewards based on the group size to encourage grouping while still making soloing viable

Seems silly not to use it