test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The "New Class(es)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    It's not a matter of strength, it's a matter of size.

A Half-Orc, tallest and strongest of the main playable races, still comes nowhere near the eight foot mark which designates a Large Creature. Half orcs are 5'9" - 6'4" and Large Races are 8" at least.

Somebody is free to correct me if I am wrong but there are no official large races. As in nothing that wasn't created in a basement is a large playable race.

Holding one up, sure. Swinging it...would be awkward.
    Holding two up, not much different than holding up a few light weights but even that will prove kind of challenging as they are going to be oddly balanced. Swingign them? Nope. Not happening.

If you want to see what it would feel like, if you have a five foot or so metal pole try swinging it with one hand. If you have two, great, try putting one in each and seeing how awkwardly you swing.

At worst get two sticks that are about 5' long and try swinging them around. Despite my name I am ambidextrous. I can't claim to be a master swordsman but I can tell you I can pick up two longswords and feel pretty confident swinging them around at the same time.

Even two appropriate length sticks would be too unwieldy. I am six foot tall and I am just not tall enough to control two large implements at the same time like that and no amount of strength would overcome that.
  • Options
    carthandagorcarthandagor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's not a matter of strength, it's a matter of size.

A Half-Orc, tallest and strongest of the main playable races, still comes nowhere near the eight foot mark which designates a Large Creature. Half orcs are 5'9" - 6'4" and Large Races are 8" at least.

Somebody is free to correct me if I am wrong but there are no official large races. As in nothing that wasn't created in a basement is a large playable race.

That's right. Anything larger would need to be "Savage Species" -ified because it would be considered a monster as a PC race.
  • Options
    glithanesglithanes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I agree with you all cant wait for the 6th class as well as the 7th and 8th and 9th and 10th then only then will this MMO be officially ready to launch in my view between all of these classes will be lots of bug fixes as well as more end game content and crafting stuff to do and raids etc.

We should see the 2nd paragon paths for the current 5 classes in the next 60-70 days I am thinking with the next new class.

Cheers.
  • Options
    ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Goliath height 7-2-7-8 might make the claymore look like a longsword
  • Options
    glithanesglithanes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ryvvik wrote: »
    Goliath height 7-2-7-8 might make the claymore look like a longsword

Lul hehe rofl!
  • Options
    furion192furion192 Member Posts: 187 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    allanastar wrote: »
    As I said I fully expect each new class since this is FTP to probably cost 20-30$ each to unlock that alone as well as extra character slots etc will be a cash cow for cryptic to supply us with more future new classes as well as end game, crafting, dungeons etc.

This is a F2P game, but P2W or Play forever to win, why would they make classes not free? When the new/future players arrive in this game, and they want a ranger class, so they must pay? The game won't be f2p at all then... Hopefully the classes would be free.
    SIGNATURE
  • Options
    m4du5m4du5 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Its still true that there will be new class on end of this year?
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'd love it if they'd surprise us all and release a ranger and a druid class at the same time, but considering all the balancing etc. that would go into making a new class, that's almost certainly not going to happen.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    allanastarallanastar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Cryptic cant wait for the next class!
    Cant wait as well for the 2nd Paragon paths as well for the current characters!

Then looking forward to the 7th and 8th, 9th new classes just cant wait!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    allanastar wrote: »
    Cryptic cant wait for the next class!
    Cant wait as well for the 2nd Paragon paths as well for the current characters!

Then looking forward to the 7th and 8th, 9th new classes just cant wait!

Bingo I agree.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    abell39 wrote: »
    I'd love it if they'd surprise us all and release a ranger and a druid class at the same time, but considering all the balancing etc. that would go into making a new class, that's almost certainly not going to happen.

They had an interview at GenCon where they said they are wrapping up one class and about halfway to two/thirds done with another class. All signs point to the second class being scourge warlock and not a druid though.
  • Options
    fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Bloody hell there all ready a 15 page go add to that one. BTW Ranger and Warlock are the next two classes (we have SS of Warlock gear ).
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I liked the thought of ranger for melee-range (as opposed to magic-range) and druid for another semi-healer class to back up the DC, and both for the nature skill nodes, but I can live with one and not the other for now I guess.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Please all just post in this thread about the new classes and new paragon paths.

thanks.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I just tried one of those "which class are you" thingies from someone's signature, and it told me I'm a bard. Now I want a bard too. D:
  • Options
    m4du5m4du5 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    So they follow player handbook (1,2,3) classes...
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Please cryptic give us a new state of the game with the 6th class some news?
    Also cryptic let us know atleast and outline of when you being having the new 2nd Paragon paths coming as well as the 7,8,9,10 character etc?

thanks.
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    glithanes wrote: »
    Please cryptic give us a new state of the game with the 6th class some news?
    Also cryptic let us know atleast and outline of when you being having the new 2nd Paragon paths coming as well as the 7,8,9,10 character etc?

thanks.

Recent interview stated that the Paragon Paths should be on test soon and the new class live before the end of the year provided everything goes according to plan.

However they won't say anything beyond soon or give any form of timeframe because people tend to think "Planned to be on test in the next few weeks" as "Will be on test in 2 weeks"

Basically unless they are absolutely positive that something will be ready for testing within the next few days, the only response we will get is SOON.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Cryptic please let us know some hint of how close rough eta of Next 6th class as well as next Race and the 2nd Paragon paths for all current classes as well as rough eta of the #rd paragon paths for all current classes?

Then finally how you plan to get the 7th and 8th and 9th and 10 th classes in game etc.

ty
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    glithanes wrote: »
    Cryptic please let us know some hint of how close rough eta of Next 6th class as well as next Race and the 2nd Paragon paths for all current classes as well as rough eta of the #rd paragon paths for all current classes?

Then finally how you plan to get the 7th and 8th and 9th and 10 th classes in game etc.

ty

Yes please cryptic signed!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    Recent interview stated that the Paragon Paths should be on test soon and the new class live before the end of the year provided everything goes according to plan.

However they won't say anything beyond soon or give any form of timeframe because people tend to think "Planned to be on test in the next few weeks" as "Will be on test in 2 weeks"

Basically unless they are absolutely positive that something will be ready for testing within the next few days, the only response we will get is SOON.

Thanks for this!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I cant wait for the 6th class and the 7th and then 8th and 9th and the 10th classes only then will this have enough character classes varity like true dnd to start.
    Also for the 2nd and 3rd paragon paths as well.

thanks all!
  • Options
    grinbringergrinbringer Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition Classes
    Player Handbook 1: Cleric - Fighter - Paladin - Ranger - Rogue - Warlock - Warlord - Wizard
    Player Handbook 2: Avenger - Barbarian - Bard - Druid - Invoker - Shaman - Sorcerer - Warden
    Player Handbook 3: Ardent - Battlemind - Monk - Psion - Runepriest - Seeker
    Heroes of X: Blackguard - Binder - Elementalist - Hexblade - Sha'ir - Vampire - Witch
    Settings Book: Artificer - Swordmage
    Dragon Magazine: Assassin

And here is what we have so far
    Cleric (no melee weapon only spells), Fighter (was split into two classes, the great weapon fighter kind of a barbarian rage like ability), Rogue (again limited to only a few melee weapons no bows.), Wizard (extremely limited in spells), so in short we have only 4 classes and only one path in each.

Yes. Few classes. Existing classes are not even full versions. The promise of the game being "for D&D fans" isn't delivered (yet?).

Making a class is clearly a huge undertaking (items at all levels in all places, skills, balance, animations). I'd like to point out what to consider when deciding which class to do next. Just getting my thoughts and gut feelings out.

* Roles. People want to play DPS more than tank or healer and there are appropriately more DPS classes to choose from. GWF can off-tank, but nobody can off-heal currently.

* Conceptually different from the others. I don't understand why they didn't make great weapon barbarian instead of GWF, it would feel more unique compared to GF. When making another ranged DPS class, do archer ranger rather than warlock. When making another healer, do bard rather than warlord or runepriest.

* Unique class mechanic (like stealth, block). Druid's beast form and bard's music come to mind.

* Gameplay feeling different. Shift skills of TR, DC and CW don't feel different enough to me for example. Swinging melee weapons is also a bit questionable -- if they add another melee class, it should use something that works differently from swords and daggers.

* Each class currently has weapons that do not overlap with other classes, but they are also the only weapons for that class. On one hand it limits class flexibility. On the other hand it becomes a signature. It's not so bad, provided there are many other options to customise the class (currently not enough, hopefully paragon paths will fix/alleviate this). Let's assume this weapon trend will continue, then archer ranger would get bow, bard -- musical instruments, druid -- staff or totem.
  • Options
    lhachmacarlhachmacar Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Here is a mostly complete list of book classes

Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition Classes
    Player Handbook 1: Cleric - Fighter - Paladin - Ranger - Rogue - Warlock - Warlord - Wizard
    Player Handbook 2: Avenger - Barbarian - Bard - Druid - Invoker - Shaman - Sorcerer - Warden
    Player Handbook 3: Ardent - Battlemind - Monk - Psion - Runepriest - Seeker
    Heroes of X: Blackguard - Binder - Elementalist - Hexblade - Sha'ir - Vampire - Witch
    Settings Book: Artificer - Swordmage
    Dragon Magazine: Assassin

And here is what we have so far
    Cleric (no melee weapon only spells), Fighter (was split into two classes, the great weapon fighter kind of a barbarian rage like ability), Rogue (again limited to only a few melee weapons no bows.), Wizard (extremely limited in spells), so in short we have only 4 classes and only one path in each. I think every other game out there launched with more than this.

And this is a almost complete list of races from the books, now I know most don't have that many (vanguard being an exception) at launch but at the very least put in some of the basic ones first.

Player's Handbook 1: Dragonborn - Dwarf - Eladrin - Elf - Half-Elf - Halfling - Human - Tiefling
    Player's Handbook 2: Deva - Gnome - Goliath - Half-Orc - Shifter
    Player's Handbook 3: Githzerai - Minotaur - Shardmind - Wilden
    Monster Manual 1: Bugbear - Doppelganger - Githyanki - Goblin - Hobgoblin - Kobold - Orc
    Monster Manual 2: Bullywug - Duergar - Kenku
    Dragon Magazine: Gnoll - Shadar-Kai
    Heroes of Shadow: Revenant - Shade - Vryloka
    Heroes of the Feywild Hamadryad - Pixie - Satyr
    Manual of the Planes: Bladeling
    Eberron's Player's Guide: Changeling - Kalashtar - Warforged
    Dark Sun Campaign Setting: Mul - Thri-kreen
    Forgotten Realms Player's Guide: Drow - Genasi

And what did they start with dwarf, human, orc, halfling, Tiefling, Half-Elf and Drow (if you paid from the start)

and coming are sun elves and moon elves which are elves that is four elf races, now if you want to get technical In the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, the Moon and Sun Elves are now subgroups of Eladrin (They are described as living in the Feywild and are the 4th edition equivalent to High or Grey Elves). I don't expect to see the races from Eberron, Dark Sun, or even those from the planes and dragon magazine.

When I first started playing D&D, the classes were cleric, fighter, magic-user, and thief. Demihumans (Elves, Dwarves, Halflings) were variants of the above with racial abilities folded into their classes and a *much* lower level cap (8-12 versus humans' 36). It took Dungeons and Dragons 30 years to get to the class/race availabilities you've outlined, and they didn't have to produce complex code and animations every step of the way because as players with imagination, we took care of a lot of that for them.

Let's try maybe giving Cryptic more than a few months to do the same.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Hopefully Cryptic can give us a update soon.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Keep up all the feedback all.

thank you!
  • Options
    baleriondrogonbaleriondrogon Member, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 53
    edited September 2013
    I was surprised to not see an archer class in this game.
    " I don't know half of you as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you as well as you deserve." -J.R.R. Tolkien
    hzcMHai.gif0SwPbeK.gif
  • Options
    ocampusmaximusocampusmaximus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Particularly after earlier trailers featured an archer and a staff-wielding wizard.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Ranger is a confirmed Cryptic class whether that will be next class or class after the next etc or next after next dunno.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Thanks all for the feedback and support!
This discussion has been closed.