Install Arc
Options

The "New Class(es)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• Options
    draugotdraugot Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    buckstanza wrote: »
    LOL if the pen and paper one had done that. .. there never would have been any Dungeons and Dragons to base off of in the first place.

Well honestly the PnP version of D&D started with 3 classes fighter, cleric and wizard in 1974. It wasn't until the Greyhawk supplement that the thief and paladin were added in 1975. In 1977 1st Edition was released which added a better variety of classes. So the PnP did do this and there is still D&D to base this game off of.
  • Options
    raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yea, the first time I heard about the new class was in this interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmMpZrqZEX8 (about 6 minutes in).

And it certainly took some wind out of my sails to hear that it was "maybe 40% done" at launch. I find it hard to believe they released a D&D game, without many of the core classes, and a new class was not even half done yet.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yes I to remember the statement of a new class 60 days after release and that they first new class was almost completed by the beginning of open beta. But as there have been so many issues with balance being "discussed" on the forums along with nerfs and buffs and nerfs again being done I do think it is wise that they get the new class as close to balanced and debugged as possible. Otherwise the first thread after they release the new class will be titled:
    "Why did they release such an OP/weak class"
    Or
    "new class is so bugged I would rather have waited another year to get a non bugged class"
    imo
  • Options
    raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    draugot wrote: »
    Yes I to remember the statement of a new class 60 days after release and that they first new class was almost completed by the beginning of open beta. But as there have been so many issues with balance being "discussed" on the forums along with nerfs and buffs and nerfs again being done I do think it is wise that they get the new class as close to balanced and debugged as possible. Otherwise the first thread after they release the new class will be titled:
    Or
    "new class is so bugged I would rather have waited another year to get a non bugged class"
    imo

Are you sure you're not confusing "class" with "race"?

I was in beta too, and all I remember them saying is that the new race (Drow) will be available "at least 60 days after launch". Don't remember them saying anything about classes.

None the less, I certainly thought they would have a new class out around the first expansion,too. I mean, I can't believe they would have that "coming soon" in the character creation screen for 6 months.
  • Options
    fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I going say both range and melee Ranger,and the Warlock classes. After this 2(maybe 3) I go with Paladin,and Druid for a new tank and healer class. Last but not less,an AOE class most like the Elemation(don't know if spell right)
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • Options
    rishzothrishzoth Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Most of these questions can be answered by participating in community events and reading some of the official information from the devs.

• Options
    smurfjokerzsmurfjokerz Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2013
    IMO they should have had at least 10 classes to be chosen from release of beta and such with it being a D&D genre game... that has always been the greatest thing about all the D&D games is that there was sooooo many to choose from and this only has 5??? i mean come on..
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    I've pointed out many ways in which the rules of this game don't follow 4th edition.

Because the game is based on Fourth Edition but you cite some of the discrepancies the game shouldn't follow the Fourth Edition Rules on Wood Elves?

That's a very logical train of thought there! :)
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    draugot wrote: »
    ...the first thread after they release the new class will be titled:
    Or
    imo
    Actually I predict you will see all three types of threads within hour of the release.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    raath13 wrote: »
    Are you sure you're not confusing "class" with "race"?

I was in beta too, and all I remember them saying is that the new race (Drow) will be available "at least 60 days after launch". Don't remember them saying anything about classes.

I vaguely remember hearing it during one of the dev tours for of the cloak tower live streams. I was pretty sure it was said that the goal was to have the next race and class come out 60 days after launch. I could be mistaken I did watch a lot of the live streams so I may have jumbled the info.
    I was still surprised that a new class didn't get released with Modular 1.
    Actually I predict you will see all three types of threads within hour of the release.

The threads with the Over Powered and Under Powered topics will not bother me half as much though as the third topic. As much as I have seen all the classes get grief from the OP and UP camps it is inevitable that any new class will go through at least 2 to 3 rounds of adjustments minimum.
  • Options
    iergoiergo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Can't believe there isn't a new class either with Module 1. Even more disappointing is the possibility of only one new class by the end of the year which I agree may be pushed back to next year or never... if not winter.
  • Options
    koboldsmell88koboldsmell88 Banned Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Because the game is based on Fourth Edition but you cite some of the discrepancies the game shouldn't follow the Fourth Edition Rules on Wood Elves?

That's a very logical train of thought there! :)

I'd be happier with this game if the devs followed 4e more closely, like letting us create our own class builds, hybrid classes, multiclass, etc. The class system in this game is an abomination to all RPG's.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Not easilyl possible due to the Action Combat system.

Maybe years in the future but no time soon. You must pick a theme for your characters because fourth edition powers rely so heavily on which weapon you are using.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The class system in this game is a total failure, and will cause the game to die if the best they can do is release one class a year.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Not easilyl possible due to the Action Combat system.

Maybe years in the future but no time soon. You must pick a theme for your characters because fourth edition powers rely so heavily on which weapon you are using.

Only if you're a martial class. My Druid used a great axe he looted off Baphomet's corpse. Our wizard used a longsword, wore platemail forged in the depths of HELL, and preferred to use fire magic. Our cleric was proficient with THREE weapons, a greatsword, a longbow, and a quarterstaff. There's no freedom in this game. If you choose wizard, you have to start off as an ice mage. Where are the Fighters who use flails, pole-arms, etc? Oh, and the stats don't even work like a D&D game, that's half the problem by itself. DDO's combat system is much better. If it just had a Foundry no one would even be here, trust me.
  • Options
    ceryndrionceryndrion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Original D&D did not have a ranger class at all, the basic edition contained just three classes, the cleric, the fighting man, and the magic user. With the addition of Greyhawk, the thief was added.. It wasn't until AD&D, that rangers appeared..

So for now, we can consider neverwinter to be stuck somewhere between Greyhawk and AD&D..
    I reject your reality and I substitute my own!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
    [ Rules of Conduct - Terms - FAQ - Support Centre - Important Stuff ]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    ceryndrion wrote: »
    Original D&D did not have a ranger class at all, the basic edition contained just three classes, the cleric, the fighting man, and the magic user. With the addition of Greyhawk, the thief was added.. It wasn't until AD&D, that rangers appeared..

So for now, we can consider neverwinter to be stuck somewhere between Greyhawk and AD&D..

No. This is Forgotten Realms, and based on 4th edition. 4th Edition's Player's Handbook 1 not only has several classes that aren't in this game such as the Ranger, Warlock, Warlord, and Paladin, they also have another wizard build, another rogue build, and another cleric build, plus the option to you know, create your own builds... Lets stop making excuses for the devs' failure. They could have designed a more fluid class system instead of trying to break over 40 classes into 2 builds which take a year each to make. It would take 80 years to release all the classes in 4th edition with the current class system. And we still wouldn't have hybrid classes, or multiclassing, or even the ability to choose what kind of armor or weapon we equip. That's pretty dang pitiful compared to other MMO's.
  • Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Maybe they are waiting on people to stop asking for the current classes to be nerfed before adding another class to the mix. hope not we might never see another class if that's true. but that thought being said what if they have to rebalance the unreleased class every time they are begged to nerf TR or CW might be why its going so slow.

But that aside I think the additions they have added have been rather cool I love sharandar and the profession improvments, Salvage is kinda meh they would have been better off having a Gold-AD exchange like they do for zen or even a npc money changer that will change any currency to AD.

Also if you look at the more positive threads on these forums, and the suggestions by hopeful people a lot of these suggestions have been added to the game. We are getting more end game, more customization options, more ways to get non zen pets/dyes/mounts, foundry improvements ability to train green pets up, trickster rogues did indeed get nerfed(a few times) GWF got buffed then nerfed the buffed then nerfed again. they have thwarted every exploit we could find...

This is a pretty good game and they have given us soo many things we have asked for. most games only release one or 2 new things a year and sell a 60$ box to access it and its only been what 3 months maybe 4 of you count the beta weekends.
    and they have released 5 classes (you have to count the 5 it started with because they came out this year).... so that's like over a class a month! and all the paid races have a free equivalent.

some people say the glass is half full some say the glass is half empty,
    pvpers say "they need to empty those guys glasses they look fuller than mine"
    free players say "its not fair those people who payed have prettier cups than me"
    People on the forum say "but I wanted a free milkshake this place is awful!"

I say "Wee! I got a glass!"
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Maybe they are waiting on people to stop asking for the current classes to be nerfed before adding another class to the mix. hope not we might never see another class if that's true. but that thought being said what if they have to rebalance the unreleased class every time they are begged to nerf TR or CW might be why its going so slow.

But that aside I think the additions they have added have been rather cool I love sharandar and the profession improvments, Salvage is kinda meh they would have been better off having a Gold-AD exchange like they do for zen or even a npc money changer that will change any currency to AD.

Also if you look at the more positive threads on these forums, and the suggestions by hopeful people a lot of these suggestions have been added to the game. We are getting more end game, more customization options, more ways to get non zen pets/dyes/mounts, foundry improvements ability to train green pets up, trickster rogues did indeed get nerfed(a few times) GWF got buffed then nerfed the buffed then nerfed again. they have thwarted every exploit we could find...

This is a pretty good game and they have given us soo many things we have asked for. most games only release one or 2 new things a year and sell a 60$ box to access it and its only been what 3 months maybe 4 of you count the beta weekends.
    and they have released 5 classes (you have to count the 5 it started with because they came out this year).... so that's like over a class a month! and all the paid races have a free equivalent.

some people say the glass is half full some say the glass is half empty,
    pvpers say "they need to empty those guys glasses they look fuller than mine"
    free players say "its not fair those people who payed have prettier cups than me"
    People on the forum say "but I wanted a free milkshake this place is awful!"

I say "Wee! I got a glass!"

I'm sick of people who never played pen and paper D&D belittling actual D&D players for expecting this to be more like D&D. This isn't about the glass being half-empty or half-full. This is about ordering a glass of sweet tea, and being given a glass of Pepsi instead. It's not that I hate Pepsi. If this game had been released with a different title, such as, "Fantasy Warriors Online" or "Super Action MMO" I wouldn't be disappointed. But they marketed it as a D&D game, made by D&D fans, for D&D fans, then gave us an action MMO. That's the problem. I'm not a pessimist, I'm actually a really positive person, but if I go to a fast food joint, order a cheeseburger, and they bring me a taco, I'll ask that they take it back, and fix my order right. If they can't do that, then I'll take my business elsewhere, and be sure to warn all my buddies about the bad service there.
  • Options
    glithanesglithanes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Really looking forward to the next 4 classes cause then the game will have 9 total classes by then more variety etc.

Cryptic when are we going to get the 2nd pargoon path as well as the 3rd pargoon path for the existing 5 classes?
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    hobokenboy wrote: »
    I'll wager that new classes and paragon paths are coming as soon as they figure out how to charge you all for them without making it seem like they're going back on their word like they did with not charging for races.

Easy enough. Charge $20 for 60 day head start with a new class. This helps bring in some funding and also keeps the new class from being the overwhelming majority on release.
  • Options
    glithanesglithanes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have no proof but I think the new classes will be probably around 25$ each, now maybe they will give the 1st class for free but doubt it due to perfect world.

Bottom line is I would glady pay for 1 new class every 3-4 months, if don't want to buy the new class pay the unlock then you can play the 5 starting classes for free.

By doing this charging for new classes like 25$ cryptic pwe will make there money and keep getting new and old players coming back every 3-4 months for the new class as well as new content, so its win win for pwe and us players.

I know some you will expect the new classes to be free, but cryptic has a boss its pwe and they wont allow that, so to keep getting new stuff by charging 25$ for each new class, cryptic keeps getting money for new content and we players keep coming back every 3-4 months from others games to buy zen and packs and new classes from cryptic.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Really want to see the other pargoon paths for the current 5 classes, and cant wait to see the next 3 new classes to give this game a lot more varity in classes as well as in groups for dungeons and pvp as well.
    Also more classes means more veteran players can reroll play alts etc for new classes.
  • Options
    lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I heard on a different forum the next race they are working on is a Dragonborne. Cant say what forum it is its only for lucky people
  • Options
    cdave78cdave78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I played pnp dnd alot growing up AD&D and AD&D 2nd edition. When i first heard and read about this game i said ahh its going to be like the old baldurs gate games as an mmo and thats pretty much what we got
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Any update on the new classes cryptic as well as the 2nd pargon paths for the 6 current classes?
  • Options
    overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm sick of people who never played pen and paper D&D belittling actual D&D players for expecting this to be more like D&D. This isn't about the glass being half-empty or half-full. This is about ordering a glass of sweet tea, and being given a glass of Pepsi instead. It's not that I hate Pepsi. If this game had been released with a different title, such as, "Fantasy Warriors Online" or "Super Action MMO" I wouldn't be disappointed. But they marketed it as a D&D game, made by D&D fans, for D&D fans, then gave us an action MMO. That's the problem. I'm not a pessimist, I'm actually a really positive person, but if I go to a fast food joint, order a cheeseburger, and they bring me a taco, I'll ask that they take it back, and fix my order right. If they can't do that, then I'll take my business elsewhere, and be sure to warn all my buddies about the bad service there.

The niche you want is already filled by DDO. It appears that NW was never meant to compete directly with DDO, as they are much much different games. Yes this is more of an action game. Personally I am fine with that, but even being an action game, it can and should offer as much variety as possible.
  • Options
    allanastarallanastar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I am wondering when we get more Paragon paths for each class as well, currently there are only 1 per class which forces a lot of players to play there class and be stuck with the only paragon if they don't like the paragon play style its tough to bad they are forced to be it, cause there is not 2nd and 3rd paragon choice so they can be PVP or PVE spec or Hybrid paragon spec etc.

So Cryptic can you give us rough ETA when the 2nd paragon paths might be done for the current 5 classes?
This discussion has been closed.