test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Timed Out Connecting to Game Server

Comments

• Options
    zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Just had this happen to one of my characters (from Mindflayer shard) all other characters are fine for now.
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Mods: I think that the thread is being a bit muddled because there are two separate issues being discussed here that are not the same.

It may make it harder to have the developer team address this if these are all thrown into the same pot.
  • Options
    recks69recks69 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Exact same issue as OP.

Can't log on to my GF. Earlier today I got kicked out with him while zoning. When I try selecting that character, I get the option for normal or safe login. Doesn't matter which I select. The loading screen comes up and eventually displays red text telling me the server is not responding. After 10 seconds I get dumped to the login screen.

Like the OP, I tried logging in with other characters and then switching. No go.

To make matters more convoluted, for a long period earlier today I couldn't log in at all with any character. I don't think this is the same issue and it seems to have passed for me (Verizon FIOS, Richmond, VA).
  • Options
    thorrekblocksthorrekblocks Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ok - I have Verizon FIOS and live in MD. I am getting the same "Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate" box that eventually times out after trying to update the launcher.

Guess what... I used my AT&T phone as a mobile hotspot and I am able to connect no problem. There is nothing wrong with my computer, my install or my patches. **** Cryptic for not explaining this to everyone and having us go all day/night doing uninstalls, rebooting our computers, etc.. This is 100% a problem with FIOS and Cryptic Studios. Fix it or Lose me as a customer. I don't care if Verizon is squeezing them for money - if they don't get this problem worked out Cryptic is going to lose the ability to generate more of it...
  • Options
    drunkensotdrunkensot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 73
    edited August 2013
    Cryptic, what is happening? What is the eta for the fix? Lets see a response Monday morning.
  • Options
    drunkensotdrunkensot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 73
    edited August 2013
    Amen....................
  • Options
    kingculexkingculex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I contacted Verizon and argued with them. I finally had them release my ip address and give me a new one. It took times doing this to get into the game. The first time fixed the launcher. The second time I was able to enter the game and play as usual. It is a bit unstable but it seems to work ok. It is an issue with Verizon and not Cryptic. :)
    Every class has advantages and disadvantages. Learn the disadvantages of you class to overcome them. Learn the advantages of your class and the disadvatages of other classes to use them in pvp to win.

There is no point to whine for nerfs because you win some and loose some. Crying just makes a player look like a crier and no one, especially the devs, should take them seriously. Have a nice day!:)
  • Options
    twerkulatorrtwerkulatorr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My rogue (Twerkulator) is able to login without issue. My guardian on the other hand is not. I get an option saying to either safe-login or normal-login. I have tried both without success. I eventually get a disconnected from server message or timed out connecting to game server. My characters are located on the Mindflayer shard. Here is a screenshot:

AjMe1mMl.jpg

I've tried the following things to remedy the issue:

- Different computer/install.
    - Safe login and verify files on launcher.
    - Proxy on launcher.
    - Set launcher to run as admin.

Out of curiosity, I copied my guard to the preview shard and bada bing, I was able to login.
    Twerkulatorr (Rogue) & Twerk (Guard)
    Twitch.TV/Twerkulatorr
    Peter Puffer's Foundation @ Mindflayer
  • Options
    superpowerkillsuperpowerkill Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Strange. The exact same thing is happening with me. I have two characters on the Mindflayer Server. A rogue and a guardian. The rogue can log in fine because she was in the Protectors Onclave when I last logged her out. The Guardian, however, was going through a foundry quest and when it was time to exit the game crashed. Now I can't log in the guardian with the exact same issues.
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    When I see threads like this, I wonder if something about the character's data got corrupted on the server's end so that it can't load the character in. If it worked again when you copied your guardian to the preview shard, maybe what's corrupted isn't the whole character itself, but just some bit of data related to the location that the character was last in.

I don't know of a fix and I'm making this up with severely limited knowledge of how the game works, but I hope it might be possible to pinpoint what's wrong so it can be fixed.... Did something go terribly wrong before this happened -- like the game crashing while transferring instances or something?

EDIT: Just saw the post above me. I once got the error message that prompts a safe log-in when something went wrong while I was going to a foundry map; somebody in Protector's Enclave asked for help with a quest, I offered to help without knowing it was a foundry quest, he activated a travel gate without sharing the quest and I got a vague "An unknown error has occurred"-type of message that kicked me back to the log-in screen. Safe log-in worked and said character had no ill effects from it. This was while entering a foundry map; I wonder if the larger game-breaking error that you guys have is caused by crashing while leaving a foundry for some reason.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    hayt5hayt5 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have the same problem and have tried the same troubleshooting ideas besides moving to the test server. My GF is stuck not being able to load into Icespire. Put in a ticket hours ago and no response.
  • Options
    zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I have a GF on Mindflayer that I cannot access as well.
    I wonder if it is that specific shard and the Guardian class having problems.

Out of 11 characters on various shards the GF on Mindflayer is the only one I am having an issue logging in with.
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • Options
    hayt5hayt5 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm on Mindflayer as well. Very well could be a server/class combo problem.
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well that's weird. What's so special about the GFs and about Mindflayer, I wonder....
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I'm going to send in a ticket and mention the class and server combo in case it's something they need to look into.

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • Options
    superpowerkillsuperpowerkill Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Strange. The exact same thing is happening with me. I have two characters on the Mindflayer Server. A rogue and a guardian. The rogue can log in fine because she was in the Protectors Onclave when I last logged her out. The Guardian, however, was going through a foundry quest and when it was time to exit the game crashed. Now I can't log in the guardian with the exact same issues.

Got it. This worked: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/archive/index.php/t-271071.html
  • Options
    atragornatragorn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have two characters now who i can not access. yesterday i could access all my other chars(Yes i have 6 char slots 5 in use) except my main, now i can access my main but i have two other chars with the safe login prompt and safe or normal doesnt matter can not login either one.

They can try to claim that verizon screwed up the initial login and caused the corruption but the subsequent logins failing has nothing to do with verizon, and yes I do have verizon on the east coast.

Why would it only be certain chars if its a "Network" issue ? that makes like zero sense!
  • Options
    deadmans34deadmans34 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I can't even get the launcher to open it just says loading and then times out and tells me I have an internet connection problem. Every other game I have is working so I know that is not right.
  • Options
    morphykarumorphykaru Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    atragorn wrote: »

Why would it only be certain chars if its a "Network" issue ? that makes like zero sense!

Because for many of us the issue is not character dependent. I and many others cannot reach the character list. After patching and clicking Play we get a timeout error before the character list loads.
  • Options
    jswigart1979jswigart1979 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wife and I are on Dragon server. We can log in and play our characters in main open areas, but in zoning into certain instanced areas like one particular crypt in ebon downs(oddly all but one of them worked), and any skirmish, we get the 10 second time out error that boots back to menu. Logging in again and trying normal login will continuously fail, while a safe login will allow us to load in back in the primary zone. Tried rebooting, revalidating all files, different instances. Played yesterday and the day before many hours without issue, so this seems to have started sometime today. We are in Dallas, Verizon FIOS. They ought to extend the timeout significantly to see if it just takes longer due to network congestion or whatever.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Wife and I are on Dragon server. We can log in and play our characters in main open areas, but in zoning into certain instanced areas like one particular crypt in ebon downs(oddly all but one of them worked), and any skirmish, we get the 10 second time out error that boots back to menu. Logging in again and trying normal login will continuously fail, while a safe login will allow us to load in back in the primary zone. Tried rebooting, revalidating all files, different instances. Played yesterday and the day before many hours without issue, so this seems to have started sometime today. We are in Dallas, Verizon FIOS. They ought to extend the timeout significantly to see if it just takes longer due to network congestion or whatever.

One thing that seems to be consistent with these types of issues seem to be everyone appears to be using Verizon FiOS... at least from what I have been reading so far.

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Please post what ISP you are using when you post to the thread. This will make it easier to determine if the problem is isolated to a single ISP. It does seem the majority of the issues are connected to Verizon. Thank you.
    Every class has advantages and disadvantages. Learn the disadvantages of you class to overcome them. Learn the advantages of your class and the disadvatages of other classes to use them in pvp to win.

There is no point to whine for nerfs because you win some and loose some. Crying just makes a player look like a crier and no one, especially the devs, should take them seriously. Have a nice day!:)
  • Options
    thypeterpufferthypeterpuffer Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    delete this!
  • Options
    twerkulatorrtwerkulatorr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Wow, that worked! I just enabled the proxy (US) on the launcher and didn't get the safe/normal login message. It just loaded in like normal. Something is very weird with that. I'm on Verzion FIOS and have heard of the issues with cogent. I don't know if it's somehow related to that.

Edit: This is very much a band-aid type fix and keeping it like this is unreasonable. The proxy has increased my latency considerably.
    Twerkulatorr (Rogue) & Twerk (Guard)
    Twitch.TV/Twerkulatorr
    Peter Puffer's Foundation @ Mindflayer
  • Options
    kosmtecwarriorkosmtecwarrior Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    i am a verizon DSL user from the east coast. i have been experiencing issues like others since last eve around 6:30 EST .. wasn't till about 2 hrs ago i was able to download the installer again after i removed the last install thinking it was a corrupted file.

I've tried every suggestion in this thread to fix the problem but i cant get passed the initial launcher it tells me my sessions keep timing out. Then a fatal error occurs and it shuts down and the ticket window opens with the "please tell us what you were doing when this happened"

I'm "guessing" it has to do with the ISP dispute that's going on right now with verizon
    Any suggestions will be much appreciated
  • Options
    mjade0mjade0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm also an east coast Verizon DSL user having the Timed Out Connecting to Game Server after zoning out of a dungeon. I got booted off the server and have been unable to log back in ever since.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    mjade0 wrote: »
    I'm also an east coast Verizon DSL user having the Timed Out Connecting to Game Server after zoning out of a dungeon. I got booted off the server and have been unable to log back in ever since.

i feel your pain there .. same thing that happened to me .. i've tried every fix that has been posted here and sifted through the forums looking for alternative solutions.
    Unfortunately i've been unable to find one that works.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Verizon users: Have you tried calling Verizon and having them change your IP and resetting your modem back to factory? It took me two tries with the IP and one time resetting my fios modem for my household to regain access to the game. Hopefully it works for you.

• Options
    chasimchasim Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    i feel your pain there .. same thing that happened to me .. i've tried every fix that has been posted here and sifted through the forums looking for alternative solutions.
    Unfortunately i've been unable to find one that works.

I have Verizon FIOS... never had this issue before, it just started early this evening. I have experienced it on two characters - one trying to get into a solo Foundry and the other several times trying to get into instances (for which I waited in long queues...).
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    kingculex wrote: »
    Verizon users: Have you tried calling Verizon and having them change your IP and resetting your modem back to factory? It took me two tries with the IP and one time resetting my fios modem for my household to regain access to the game. Hopefully it works for you.
    I contacted Verizon, had a new IP issued, reset my modem around 23 times to factory settings still experiencing the same issues. Thus is why I am "guessing" it's related to the bandwidth throttling issue that's going on right now ... all other games and internet services work perfectly. Only seems to be related to Cryptic software, which is again what leads me to believe this has to do with the dispute going on right now with Verizon and cogent.
    It is very depressing as i have been having a wonderful time with Neverwinter, it's a great game and i would like to get back to it as soon as possible.