test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Timed Out Connecting to Game Server

Comments

• Options
    abe6471abe6471 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sironne wrote: »
    I am on Verizon FIOS as well. Getting a time out when logging into 2 of my 5 characters. When I rebooted my router, I was able to log into the other 2 characters, but the problem began to pop up again when I tried to enter an instance. Neverwinter is a good game, it is a real shame about the technical issues and horrific customer support.

Yeah, except if this is a Verizon issue there's not a lot they can do about it.
  • Options
    abe6471abe6471 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Didn't make a difference for me based on zone. Happened in a low level SP instance in PE (was able to safe mode back) and then again in a another low level instance in Blacklake (was not able to exit, had to login in safe mode, which dumped me back into Blacklake open area, outside the SP instance).

Not a conspiracy with Verizon, just a dispute between Verizon and Cogent about who gets the money when it comes to higher volume peer to peer connection ports.

LOL, I was being facetious about the conspiracy. If it turns out they are the reason, there will be some rude phone calls. One of the main reasons we switched is because we got a better deal on the speed, which we only really care about for online gaming. If we can't connect, they have a problem.
  • Options
    whotookmyname2whotookmyname2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    One of the reasons I tried it before 7 am here this morning was to see if it helped. I figured that there can't be that many people watching Netflix at that time on the east coast. Didn't make a difference for me.
    Right click, left click, left click, left click, tab, E, R, tab, right click, left click, left click, 2, tab, E, R and repeat. What am I?

Usually, dead.
  • Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    abe6471 wrote: »
    LOL, I was being facetious about the conspiracy. If it turns out they are the reason, there will be some rude phone calls. One of the main reasons we switched is because we got a better deal on the speed, which we only really care about for online gaming. If we can't connect, they have a problem.

Exactly, although it appears to be a problem for Cryptic and not other games because Cryptic apparently uses Cogent as its main ISP, and Cogent also has Netflix.

If the issues we are seeing really are related to the bandwidth Verizon is allowing in the Cogent/Verizon ports, isn't Cryptic that's causing the issue, it's the Netflix volume, and we are stuck with them in the same pipe. Verizon wants Cogent to pay it for all of the Netflix (and other, like us) volume coming through the ports between Cogent and Verizon, whereas the way peer to peer connections have worked generally in the past, when there are imbalances between upload and download, it's the ISP *requesting* the traffic that pays, not the ISP *providing* the traffic. Verizon is trying to turn this on its head by saying that Cogent (i.e., Netflix) is the source of the imbalance in up/down traffic, but that's going to be the case with ANY ISP that connects to Verizon, and the reality is that it's us, Verizon's customers, who are requesting this data and paying Verizon to access it. In reality what is happening is that Verizon wants Cogent to hand over some of the money Cogent is getting from Netflix (and PWE, etc.) in order for Verizon to provide the additional bandwidth. It isn't really a cost issue, as the cost for providing additional bandwidth is trivial when compared with Verizon's subscriber fees. It's a policy issue in that Verizon thinks it should be paid some of the money Netflix is paying to Cogent in order to access Verizon's customers (i.e., us). It's a business dispute, in other words, about who gets the money -- as most business disputes are. And we, and Cryptic, are bystanders, because the big players are giants like Verizon, Cogent and Netflix.
  • Options
    therealjaelustherealjaelus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited August 2013
    Also East Coast Verizon FIOS here. Same problem. The Cogent/FIOS issue may be creating the symptom, but it's a problem with the game itself as well. The zone in/log in processes are not robust enough to get through networking issues like this, which are common. I would imagine we could get logged in fine with a longer timeout.
    garret_fi.png
  • Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Also East Coast Verizon FIOS here. Same problem. The Cogent/FIOS issue may be creating the symptom, but it's a problem with the game itself as well. The zone in/log in processes are not robust enough to get through networking issues like this, which are common. I would imagine we could get logged in fine with a longer timeout.

Yes probably. Ten seconds is very short.
  • Options
    shunsazishunsazi Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Now I can't even connect to the character select screen. Would be nice to get a dev response on this. Worked fine last night.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    One of the reasons I tried it before 7 am here this morning was to see if it helped. I figured that there can't be that many people watching Netflix at that time on the east coast. Didn't make a difference for me.

My thought as well, although I wonder how Verizon calculates the bandwidth requests and does the throttling at play here -- hard to know, really. It's possible that this is unrelated to the Verizon/Cogent problem, but it seems very odd that pretty much everyone with this specific issue (rather than more generic login issues) is on Verizon.
  • Options
    dkuangdkuang Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm also a Verizon FIOS user here in NYC and as of last night all I get is the white screen with "loading.please wait". Prior to yesterday I was fine the whole week. Don't know about previous weeks as I just moved into a new place that uses FIOS. Lucky me.

A Dev seriously has to look into this crock, a lot of FIOS users out there.
  • Options
    therealjaelustherealjaelus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited August 2013
    I was able to get in this morning. I ran the launcher as administrator and set it to safe mode. Then did a safe login and zoned to a different area. Seems to log in fine now, though before I did that, completely broken. That's a game problem and it shouldn't happen.
    garret_fi.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I was able to get in this morning. I ran the launcher as administrator and set it to safe mode. Then did a safe login and zoned to a different area. Seems to log in fine now, though before I did that, completely broken. That's a game problem and it shouldn't happen.

Are you able to enter and exit single player instances without any issues?

I can also login, and am fine in open instanced areas like PE, but single player instances time out on entry/exit with the connection to gameserver notice.
  • Options
    bethshebabethsheba Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Submitted tickets. Fios user as well. Sure seems to be the smoking gun here. Ease off on Cryptic guys. They don't own the ISP Cogent, they are only a user and I am sure they will put what pressure they can on them. Verizon is the real source of ******yness here. They already squeeze every cent out of their customers, yet they can't simply provide more ports to Cogent because they want more money. Way to keep their paying customers happy. (I am also sending this to Verizon though it won't do any good there)
  • Options
    shunsazishunsazi Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    But a dev reply would be nice. And we don't know 100% that this is a Verizon issue. Some info would be appreciated...
  • Options
    nevaren69nevaren69 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    East coast Verizon FiOS user also.
    Hey Dev, can we get some movement on this, I'm not changing ISP for a game.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yes probably. Ten seconds is very short.

Agreed, and I have had nearly 20 seconds of server not responding when zoning around places. When it gets that far you are usually hooped, so I don't know why it bails at 10 on the login.
    Oh, and I got in on my main, still can't get the original troubled toon in.

Oh, and the admin trick didn't work for me.
  • Options
    jameshlnjameshln Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am having the same issue here.

Started out last night around 8PM EDT, I was unable to log into one character, then the game crashed and now I can not log in because the game times out and displays fatal error "unable to initialize on-demand patching" and indicates it timed out trying to connect.

I have attempted all sort of things and nothing has worked. Interestingly enough, I have disabled "on-demand patching" this cause the game to download a little over 2GB and I still get the same error indicating that it cant initialize on demand patching and the connection to the server has timed out. Still not work as of this post.

I too am on the east coast and use Verizon fios. Verizon does seem to be the issue.
  • Options
    squeaksunesqueaksune Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just like everyone else here Im having the same issue. Haven't been able to log in since 6:30pm on August 3rd. Keep getting different errors. Unable to intialize on-demand patching error. The login server keeps timing out when I do get past that first error. Im on the east coast and I have Verizon 3 meg DSL (The fastest thing in my area).

This is unacceptable plain and simple.
    Maid ClariS lvl 60 GF
    ClariS lvl 60 DC
  • Options
    btmarinebtmarine Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have one character I cannot log in with, I can log in and play with my other characters just fine. Every time I get a safe or normal choice for log in but both choices drop me with in 10 seconds to a log in screen. My character was trying to zone into tower zone I believe.
  • Options
    bethshebabethsheba Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bumping to keep in front of the powers that be
  • Options
    darkzangadarkzanga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Moved these posts to their own thread. The thread these were in previously was referring to a separate issue which was resolved a couple of months ago and I can say from personal experience that didn't return a "Timed Out Connecting to Game Server" error.

Darkzanga, you actually are returning the other error but the simple fix to that is usually simply booting the game in safe mode (Found in the Launcher Options) and logging into the character that way.

The rest of you, for the current time period, should send in Support Tickets to see if there is anything more immediate which can be done to solve the situation as well as reporting the specifics of where you first encountered this error.

I hope you guys and girls get back in game soon!

NO that did not work. It is not a simple problem. I sent in Support Ticket and its still not working.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    If this was a Verizon Problem it would happen with all the characters you have. This is a server side issue and they need to address the problem.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I will be checking this afternoon as to whether it presents using another ISP and will let everyone know the results.

I have had the problem even with a BRAND NEW character.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I got this today in Icespire and now can't log into my healer.
    I have restarted the client.
    I have restarted my computer.
    I started in safe mode.
    I have logged into my other character and then tried to switch.
    I have disabled automatic patching.
    It consistently gets to about a third of the way loaded and then says "server not responding".
    And i get the message that it "Timed out connecting to GameServer"

All of the big reports on the forums about this issue have NO resolution posted.

Any one got any fresh ideas?

This is the OP he can get in with one and not the other. Hijacked. This is not about your ISP
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    darkzanga wrote: »
    This is the OP he can get in with one and not the other. Hijacked. This is not about your ISP

But many of us can login fine but when we access single player instances we get the message that is the title to this thread. Not a login issue.

They consolidated the threads under this heading which I originally posted, not hijacking another thread. My own post was the one with that heading, it was consolidated into this one, probably with some posts that are not the same issue.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    She, and I wouldn't be surprised if its the ISP, though clearly there is no way Fios can tell my one character from the other. If you read further, you will see that I also had trouble with my second character (which eventually resolved itself) and now my husband can't get on with one of his toons either.
    I took a look at the Verizon lag thread (http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?408571-Experiencing-lag-and-using-Verizon-FIOS-Look-here!) and posted my info from the tracert and cryptic nettest on there. Anyone who wants to chime in over there, feel free.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    She, and I wouldn't be surprised if its the ISP, though clearly there is no way Fios can tell my one character from the other. If you read further, you will see that I also had trouble with my second character (which eventually resolved itself) and now my husband can't get on with one of his toons either.
    I took a look at the Verizon lag thread (http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?408571-Experiencing-lag-and-using-Verizon-FIOS-Look-here!) and posted my info from the tracert and cryptic nettest on there. Anyone who wants to chime in over there, feel free.

I can login with every character. But even if I create a new character it cannot progress beyond the open area before the bridge instance. It has to do with downloading stuff from the server. It is an ISP issue. It does not impact open world instances at all.
  • Options
    jameshlnjameshln Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    [URL="[url]http://core.perfectworld.com/u/brendan03us[/url]"]brendan03us[/URL] posted that a dispute between Verizon and Cogent may be the cause for some folks on the East Cost not being able to log in.

I did a quick Google search and found several recent articles regarding the matter. Most of these involve Netflix, but if Neverwinter is using the same service it would affect us as well. According to Verizon, the issue is that the load between Cogent and Verizon is unbalanced with Cogent having the heavier load and Verizon is unwilling to open more ports unless Cogent pays for the extra load.

So, it appears there may be some truth to Verizon, or the relationship between Verizon and Cogent, being the issue if you are a Verizon user that is timing out at login.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    OK, I just got in. Last nite, I tried this, but for some reason it finally worked. Went to the launcher, looked at options, chose force verification and US proxy and pressed OK. Chose safe mode for the bugged toon and I got in. I had previously disabled on demand patching but not this time, so I don't know how that played into it.
    I need more coffee.
  • Options
    whotookmyname2whotookmyname2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I was able to go back and re-enter the Foundry map that I was booted out of earlier. It had booted me when going from an outside to inside map. It started me inside, which is where it left off. I was able to complete that map and then return to Protector's Enclave. I can go to open zones as well on my first toon. Adds support to the idea it's not the game per se.

On my second toon - the one I want to play - I can't even get in Protector's Enclave, which is where she was when I quit. Just keep the timeout trying to go to the game server.
    Right click, left click, left click, left click, tab, E, R, tab, right click, left click, left click, 2, tab, E, R and repeat. What am I?

Usually, dead.
  • Options
    flagellum1971flagellum1971 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    For the record, this post was what abe6471 and I both used to gain access (I was experiencing the same issue on my control wizard):

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/archive/index.php/t-271071.html

We were both only experiencing this problem on ONE of our two characters each, which almost certainly must be a server issue (a corrupt database record, a bad patch file, who knows).