test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Timed Out Connecting to Game Server

abe6471abe6471 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 12 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
I got this today in Icespire and now can't log into my healer.
I have restarted the client.
I have restarted my computer.
I started in safe mode.
I have logged into my other character and then tried to switch.
I have disabled automatic patching.
It consistently gets to about a third of the way loaded and then says "server not responding".
And i get the message that it "Timed out connecting to GameServer"

All of the big reports on the forums about this issue have NO resolution posted.

Any one got any fresh ideas?

Moderator Notice:
Some players have found that manually setting the Launcher to the US or Euro Proxies have allowed players to gain access to their characters again. Simply open up Options in the Launcher and select the drop down.

Many of you seem to be Verizon FIOS users. As such I encourage you to also follow the instructions within the "Experiencing Lag And Using Verizon FIOS? Look Here!" thread.

The moderators hope you guys back in soon!
Post edited by abe6471 on

Comments

• Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    abe6471 wrote: »
    I got this today in Icespire and now can't log into my healer.
    I have restarted the client.
    I have restarted my computer.
    I started in safe mode.
    I have logged into my other character and then tried to switch.
    I have disabled automatic patching.
    It consistently gets to about a third of the way loaded and then says "server not responding".
    And i get the message that it "Timed out connecting to GameServer"

All of the big reports on the forums about this issue have NO resolution posted.

Any one got any fresh ideas?

When I get this problem I reinstall the patcher(not the whole game).
    • Download the game from the PWE site and install over the files you already have.
    • Launch.
    • Wait for it to patch the launcher.
    • Login.
    • Select character and go to the last safe map(or whatever it's called).
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    abe6471abe6471 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    When I get this problem I reinstall the patcher(not the whole game).
    • Download the game from the PWE site and install over the files you already have.
    • Launch.
    • Wait for it to patch the launcher.
    • Login.
    • Select character and go to the last safe map(or whatever it's called).

thanks Tang. Problem is, it has started patching the whole game. Oh well, i can wait around and see what it does. I will keep you posted.
  • Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Same issue. First time I've had it since I started about 6 weeks ago.
  • Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm experiencing this issue on all of my characters, quite suddenly this evening.

Essentially, I can login to open areas, but loading a single player instance stalls about 1/3rd of the way through, and after ten seconds of server not responding, boots me with the message "Timed Out Connecting to Game Server". I can then do a Safe Login and run around the open area, but loading and, in one case, exiting, a single player instance resulted in the same issue. Never had this in six weeks of playing the game, and came up suddenly this evening.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    No go. Sat through dloading the entire thing and it still dc me in safe mode loading the toon.
  • Options
    therealjaelustherealjaelus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited August 2013
    Same thing is happening to me. Got disconnected after a PvP match and now when I try to log in on that character it says "an error occurred while transferring this character its destination map". I cannot safe login or normal login on that character. I have tried reinstalling the patcher. Other characters work fine though (not that that makes it okay).

This is unacceptable.
    garret_fi.png
  • Options
    darkzangadarkzanga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Im having the same issue also. I did a search on "an error occurred while transferring...." and it appears that some on the STO game are having the same issue today.

Also, I tested this using two different computers/ two different clients so it appears to be server side. I wish I remembered where I was when I logged out.
  • Options
    therealjaelustherealjaelus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited August 2013
    Yea I was reading the STO threads as well. Some people were saying you need a GM to fix your character when this happens. Seems obvious that if your character doesn't have a valid map it should place you back at the default location in Protector's Enclave. Why doesn't it just do this automatically?
    garret_fi.png
  • Options
    rictor77rictor77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm having the same thing tonight - exactly the same.

Where are you located brendan and which ISP?
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
    "Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future."
    "Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught."
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously.":)
  • Options
    furycury82furycury82 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Having this same issue to the T. Tried opening all the ports, flushing DNS, and disabling on-demand patching. No luck. I'm using verizon fios 50/25. Never had an issue until today. 2 friends are having the same issue using the same ISP. Seriously doubt it's on the ISP's end, but never know.
  • Options
    gctrlgctrl Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Having the same problem.

edit: Restarted computer, nothing. Verified game files in launcher, nothing. Reinstalled the game, nothing.

I can get on two of my characters but not my main. Anyone got any ideas?
    Guild: Lemonade Stand | Server: Dragon (Original) | PvP Forever | 1og0s
    * TWITCH * YOUTUBE * MY GUIDES *
  • Options
    deshthewraithdeshthewraith Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just going to bookmark this thread. I'm new here so I only have one character :(
  • Options
    ryin89ryin89 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    furycury82 wrote: »
    Having this same issue to the T. Tried opening all the ports, flushing DNS, and disabling on-demand patching. No luck. I'm using verizon fios 50/25. Never had an issue until today. 2 friends are having the same issue using the same ISP. Seriously doubt it's on the ISP's end, but never know.
    i have verizon fios 50/25 also.......fios is one of the best out right now.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Update: Couldn't get on my main because of this error so got on my alt, played a pvp match, when the game ended I got kicked to login in menu while loading back into PE.

When it booted me from login it says: "Timed out connecting to Game Server"

This is what it says when I try to do a normal or safe entry of the game on either of the characters. Loads to about half way, slows down, says "Server not responding..." in red, then "Timed out connecting to Game Server" and back to log in screen.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Update: I'm also experiencing several other strange problems that have JUST started happening since this other problem. The launcher login button isn't working occasionally and to get it to work I keep having to open and close the launcher. Then when I manage to get the login button to register and get the game launched, I crash at the Cryptic loading screen. The bottom loading bar doesn't appear and all I see is the CRYPTIC letters, then I check task manager and it says gameclient isn't responding.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Moved these posts to their own thread. The thread these were in previously was referring to a separate issue which was resolved a couple of months ago and I can say from personal experience that didn't return a "Timed Out Connecting to Game Server" error.

Darkzanga, you actually are returning the other error but the simple fix to that is usually simply booting the game in safe mode (Found in the Launcher Options) and logging into the character that way.

The rest of you, for the current time period, should send in Support Tickets to see if there is anything more immediate which can be done to solve the situation as well as reporting the specifics of where you first encountered this error.

I hope you guys and girls get back in game soon!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    rictor77 wrote: »
    I'm having the same thing tonight - exactly the same.

Where are you located brendan and which ISP?

East Coast US and Verizon FIOS here.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Just a bit more testing on this.

I created a new character and was able to get through Neverwinter fields up until the bridge instance, but, again, it would not load the new character *into* the bridge instance, getting the same message about Timed Out Connecting to GameServer.

Not a general network issue, obviously, as I can login to the game fine and play it fine, but the instanced content in the game is not loading now for me at all, even on a new character.
  • Options
    steelemagnoliasteelemagnolia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 45
    edited August 2013
    East Coast US and Verizon FIOS here.

Likewise, both my husband and I.
  • Options
    cellanoid#1655 cellanoid Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    East Coast and Verizon FIOS user here as well. I'm not even able to get the launcher to run. Stuck at "Trying to Update Launcher. Please be patient." This is happening for all of the Cryptic/PWE games I play (This, STO, and CO). I'm almost tempted to start up Arc and see if that works, but I really don't want Arc....
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    On the STO forums, people are speculating that it may have to do with peer-to-peer throttling between Cogent, the backbone pipe through which the Cryptic games flow, and Verizon at the Boston hub in particular. See: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=11740401&postcount=26 and http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/07/why-youtube-buffers-the-secret-deals-that-make-and-break-online-video/

Basically Verizon does not want to provide additional ports to handle Cogent's traffic, which includes Netflix, without Cogent paying for this. So instead of providing more ports, as is customary in the industry, Verizon is allowing the ports from Cogent to get saturated and clogged, preventing fast data flow. Cogent apparently doesn't pay anyone else for this, and has never paid Verizon for this, but these kinds of disputes between the backbone providers, like Cogent, and the "last mile" providers, like Verizon, are not uncommon. This latest one, however, appears to be quite severe as concerns Verizon's Boston hub, which appears to service a substantial part of the eastern side of the US. If this is indeed the source of the issue here there isn't going to be a quick fix, and more like periodic problems. A few weeks ago those of us on Verizon were having connection problems for a few days, and then it resolved. And now it's back again. It's at least possible that this has to do with the network bandwidth dispute between Cogent and Verizon.
  • Options
    whotookmyname2whotookmyname2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    East coast (Virginia) and Verizon FIOS as well. This issue started about 7:30 PM EST on 8/3/2013. I can log into my first character just fine (in Protector's Enclave). (I just did that a few minutes ago.) When I try to log into my second character (also currently in Protector's Enclave), my screen loads about 1/3 of the way, pauses, the trying-to-connect-to-server ticker starts across the top and then I get Timeout trying to connect to the Game Server after about 10 seconds. I've tried the safe load option with no difference in the result.

I doubt this is a problem with the game (my first character loads just fine). I doubt it's a Verizon networking issue (all my other games work, my Internet connection works and my first character works). I suspect it has something to do with the particular server on which the data my second character's data is currently parked.
    Right click, left click, left click, left click, tab, E, R, tab, right click, left click, left click, 2, tab, E, R and repeat. What am I?

Usually, dead.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    East coast (Virginia) and Verizon FIOS as well. This issue started about 7:30 PM EST on 8/3/2013. I can log into my first character just fine (in Protector's Enclave). (I just did that a few minutes ago.) When I try to log into my second character (also currently in Protector's Enclave), my screen loads about 1/3 of the way, pauses, the trying-to-connect-to-server ticker starts across the top and then I get Timeout trying to connect to the Game Server after about 10 seconds. I've tried the safe load option with no difference in the result.

I doubt this is a problem with the game (my first character loads just fine). I doubt it's a Verizon networking issue (all my other games work, my Internet connection works and my first character works). I suspect it has something to do with the particular server on which the data my second character's data is currently parked.

Is your other character doing okay when entering and exiting single player instances?

In my case, I can login to the game fine, but get the hang and the GameServer disconnect when entering or exiting a single player instance ... on ALL characters, including a brand new one I just made to test a little while ago ... but not any difficulty logging in, and can safe load back into PE (or, in one case, Blacklake) just fine.

People using Verizon are having similar issues in STO since yesterday as well.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Likewise, both my husband and I.

STO people using Verizon are reporting similar issues, unfortunately. We also had issues a few weeks ago with FIOS (at least many of us did).
  • Options
    whotookmyname2whotookmyname2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Is your other character doing okay when entering and exiting single player instances?

In my case, I can login to the game fine, but get the hang and the GameServer disconnect when entering or exiting a single player instance ... on ALL characters, including a brand new one I just made to test a little while ago ... but not any difficulty logging in, and can safe load back into PE (or, in one case, Blacklake) just fine.

People using Verizon are having similar issues in STO since yesterday as well.

Short answer, "No." I just tried a Foundry quest (A Fateful Encounter; it's really short and I've completed it before). It started up just fine and I was able to play through the first part, but when it switched from outside to inside (single instance to single instance I suspect), I got the timeout trying to connect to the game server message. I was able to do a safe logon and get back to Protector's Enclave.
    Right click, left click, left click, left click, tab, E, R, tab, right click, left click, left click, 2, tab, E, R and repeat. What am I?

Usually, dead.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Short answer, "No." I just tried a Foundry quest (A Fateful Encounter; it's really short and I've completed it before). It started up just fine and I was able to play through the first part, but when it switched from outside to inside (single instance to single instance I suspect), I got the timeout trying to connect to the game server message. I was able to do a safe logon and get back to Protector's Enclave.

Ok -- so we have the same issue, I think, then.

My own guess is that when the game tries to stream the files relating to the new instance content, it gets dropped due to bandwidth congestion on the Cogent/Verizon connection ports. If the issue persists, I am going to try to test later today by going somewhere that does not have Verizon FIOS and testing to see if the issue is replicated or not.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Ok, its morning now and I reinstalled the game. I had moved my main to another zone last nite and guess what? Now I get the same error on that toon and now I can't play AT ALL. GRRRRR.

Interestingly, my husband is getting the same error while he is doing foundries but can get back in with safe mode. He can't finish any of them though.

And I also have Verizon on the east coast. Conspiracy! And we just switched to it a week ago, I will be seriously pissed if this is the reason.

I don't supposed it has anything to do with the zone? My toons are both in Icespire, that's probably a coincidence.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    abe6471 wrote: »
    Ok, its morning now and I reinstalled the game. I had moved my main to another zone last nite and guess what? Now I get the same error on that toon and now I can't play AT ALL. GRRRRR.

Interestingly, my husband is getting the same error while he is doing foundries but can get back in with safe mode. He can't finish any of them though.

And I also have Verizon on the east coast. Conspiracy! And we just switched to it a week ago, I will be seriously pissed if this is the reason.

I don't supposed it has anything to do with the zone? My toons are both in Icespire, that's probably a coincidence.

Didn't make a difference for me based on zone. Happened in a low level SP instance in PE (was able to safe mode back) and then again in a another low level instance in Blacklake (was not able to exit, had to login in safe mode, which dumped me back into Blacklake open area, outside the SP instance).

Not a conspiracy with Verizon, just a dispute between Verizon and Cogent about who gets the money when it comes to higher volume peer to peer connection ports.
  • Options
    sironnesironne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am on Verizon FIOS as well. Getting a time out when logging into 2 of my 5 characters. When I rebooted my router, I was able to log into the other 2 characters, but the problem began to pop up again when I tried to enter an instance. Neverwinter is a good game, it is a real shame about the technical issues and horrific customer support.
  • Options
    shunsazishunsazi Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Same issue, also on Verizon FIOS. Was able to log in my alt, but got kicked trying to enter a new area. Now I cannot connect at all with any of my toons...