test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fastest MMO death in history

Comments

• Options
    willsommerswillsommers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 103
    edited June 2013
    even starcraft 1 needed broodwar to become what it is/was

Actually, all starcraft needed was user mods to make it a huge hit. I played broodwars, but it still wasn't as fun as playing Starship Troopers in SC1.

I look at the foundry and see similar potential, but see less and less of it.
  • Options
    pelomixapelomixa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah talk about utter BS, I'm more excited about this game every day I play it. I applaud Perfect World.
  • Options
    osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Died so fast it's still alive!
  • Options
    cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    osiabunny wrote: »
    Died so fast it's still alive!

What's even more surprising is that this thread is still alive. Perhaps the mods didn't wake up yet this morning; still having their coffee if they're west coast. ;)
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • Options
    deknodekno Member Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    they can throw whatever they wish at a game, if the game holds no challenge or rewards other than the challenge of this game, who is then gonna grind this stuff over and over again? u have to be some kind of eccentric fool to be enjoying that. its not even about the bugs, its just pointless gearing your character.

a game needs to be created from the thought of a perfect endgame, not try to throw every number in the universe into it and put a price on it to make the person have to go through it all just to find out theres nothing to do with it. maybe the market wants that, i dont know.

maybe it was a success for them, i dont know that either. i do believe the intention is money rather than creating a great gaming experience, rather obvious.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    dekno wrote: »
    they can throw whatever they wish at a game, if the game holds no challenge or rewards other than the challenge of this game, who is then gonna grind this stuff over and over again? u have to be some kind of eccentric fool to be enjoying that. its not even about the bugs, its just pointless gearing your character, theres no point. if u dont think so its simply cause you are not there yet to realize there is nothing to do any more.

For me, the game holds a lot in the Foundry quests. Both as an author and player. Some of the best Foundry quests make the in-game content by Cryptic look like amateur work.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    What's even more surprising is that this thread is still alive. Perhaps the mods didn't wake up yet this morning; still having their coffee if they're west coast. ;)

usually they are around, hrmm maybe the dragons decided to sleep someone go poke one with a stick!
  • Options
    teslameslateslamesla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    well i'm only one was banned for no reason and still want play this game lolz..

support help me plz
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Heh. We'll see. A lot of MMO forums always post "doom and gloom" but so far the "fastest death" is Matrix Online (4 years)

SWTOR was live for 8 months then went F2P. It is still going last I check.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    This is the MMO that has great potential, but one that has died before it even started!

PVE is bugged so much that no one goes for normal dungeon runs any more. Everyone is going for fast runs and bug exploits. In return we have huge number of players with best equipment and economy in ruins.

PVP has become unplayable as well - every time I go to a fight, there are at least 2 bots in my team with level 10 equipment. They always die in 2-3 shots so there is no point healing them or helping them in any way. That is a huge handicap for any team.

I paid for founders pack and 4000 zen. Never cheated, never used exploits. It was fun for me before exploits and bots started, but now I feel I was cheated for my money. I don't see a point in playing this game any more. More over - there is no point in playing any Cryptic or Perfect World game with this kind of attitude. :mad:

Considering Neverwinter has only been live for less than a week I think you are extremely exaggerating its demise...

Pessimism-vs.-optimism-350x262.jpg
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    For me, the game holds a lot in the Foundry quests. Both as an author and player. Some of the best Foundry quests make the in-game content by Cryptic look like amateur work.

to me personally it was never about the content, i cant be doing those foundrys unless there is a ladder system or some achievements that puts me up to use for the next step that im working on.

its like the whole leveling system and gettting your character to be strong that i enjoy, some build stats and build setup is nice and enjoyable too, but to be doing foundrys because of good content... i cant be doing that... why should i enjoy that? cause i enjoy video gaming? its not enjoyable to play the content of this game for me... its like, wow this monster is really interesting, no, would i rather fight him or watch a good movie... not sure if u understand what i mean.

there has to be a reason, i see none.

take a game like quake for example, there was a bug in that game that made u able to increase movement speed on your character indefinetly on strafe jumping, giving the freedom to players to enjoy a gameplay experience beyond what the developers had in mind. the developers, or john carmack the lead programmer for the game wanted to stop it cause he thought it wasnt natural, the community spoke to him and he gave in and it became the foundation of the gameplay. u had to be good by exploiting this bug in order to be competetive.

now a days, its called hack and cheat their ways through games simply cause developers are so obsessed that everyone should play under their crippled settings to be enjoying the content on their intentions, and communitites and babies are crying out about others exploiting games and giving them an advantage for whatever the challenge is.

i bought into this when people told me this game is the next big "thing", im really not into mmo's, but frankly i dont see anything out there that is worth playing any more, games simply dont hold any challenge for me since i quit quake. but i signed up and since the start i just tried to ignore the cash shop and all the currencies trying to just enjoy the game for game experience and the challenge that was ahead, can simply just say, it was nice and it all looks good, but once u get to a point there simply no interest for me and it turns into a negative experience where u r left with the cash shop again, and its more about the aesthetically look of it rather than the challenge i was hoping for.
  • Options
    sneakyervinsneakyervin Member Posts: 101
    edited June 2013
    I dont see the dying part. Sure some guilds might have fallen to ruin, but that happens in every MMO. People are too picky or the style in general just doesnt fit.

This game is like a hybrid between a dungeon crawler hack 'n slash and an MMO, something that D3 would have been if it was an MMO. It has similarities with GW2, but more compact. You cant go and explore zones, they are very limited. But is that so bad? No not to me, because it doesnt feel like every other MMO. GW2 felt massive and original, a new simplified skill system that didnt require 4 hotbars to fit them all in. NW takes the next step or a sidestep, looking to Diablo 3 for ideas when it comes to the skillbar, and it works. It works so well that I deeply admire this skillsystem.

I love the dungeons in this game, I love healing in this game, I love playing rogue in this game, I love playing wiz in this game, hell I love every class in this game, because they all feel good. I usually have a very hard time enjoying "warrior" and "wizard" classes in game, but in this one (aswell as the barbarian and wizard in D3) I just love those classes. I've never been a huge fan of the healer classes either, but the class works for me int his game.

It seems like even the leveling difficulty is at a good place in this game, many people whine about how they need help here and there, but there isnt a quest I havent managed to solo as either class yet. I'm majorly looking forward to the campaign system, I do hope they plan on giving us fitting rewards for mastering the solo part of the game. And dont get me started on crafting, another thing I just love.

When I looked at this game pre open beta I had very high doubts about it. I'm no D&D fan, never been, I find many other P&P RPGs far superior, but then again I come from sweden and we were spoiled here with good swedish RPGs designers. Some have even hit the big screen in poor adaptions sadly, just like D&D. But anyways, this game turned out much much better than I could hope. The first feel on the combat system had me hooked.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The game is not dead or dying, *but* it has a number of problems, and if nothing is done about them, the player base is going to shrink very rapidly.

The main problems:

* The bots and their effect on the economy with the huge resource stacks they are selling.

* Exploits that result in it being too easy to get endboss gear, which floods the market.

* Bugs, bugs, bugs - too many small things are broken - this in turn reduces the enjoyment of playing the game.

* Player boredom - Gauntlgrym and (later) Faywild may fix this, but the fact is that many players feel bored after hitting level 60. For example, I used to play several hours per day. Now I log in once per day, at 10PM my time for doing a DD or two - it's the only DD that falls within my potential play time window, and doing dungeons outside DD events is not really worth it. I am not into PvP (maybe because I play a DC), and foundry missions are feeling more and more a waste of time. Crafting is not really viable (well, apart from making blue shirts and pants for mid-level players), and the only skirmish I am allowed to do gets a bit boring after a few times. Quite frankly, it is almost as if the company doesn't want me to play.

What Cryptic and PWE *must* realize is that people will not continue to play this game, or convince new people to join, unless the game is fun...but if the game is fun enough, people will forgive them a large number of bugs and glitches.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Give it a few months and when all the flamers/trolls have got bored and moved onto something new then we can see whats what.
    As of right now any problems the game has got are being swamped by the petulant and selfish behaviour of many of the lurkers on these forums.
    The free to play locusts will move on to something new and attempt to destroy that instead.

So no this game isnt dead or even dying its just suffering from todays common malaise.. the ungrateful gamer..
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    you know, the whole leveling up system hasnt changed much, i think this is the main problem with all this game, it becomes a tedious task in getting the stuff to have the option to try out different builds and challenges. its fun and all the 1st time, to experience and find out how u will become. they need to invent some new type of system where u actually become a type of character by the way you complete challenges.
  • Options
    mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    While I am fairly disappointed with the current state of the game primarily because I do not enjoy the paragon path selected for my class, I have hope for the future a few little tweaks here and there would make me fairly happy. SWTOR died for me much faster than this game will.

However its understandable that people are frustrated with some of the current on going issues and the relatively slow pace that things are moving at.
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • Options
    xariamaxariama Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wow... I'll hand out tissues for everyone here. Sorry your Easy Buttons are broken.
    Kelvar Lo'Zakven, 70 Drow Elf Ranger

"Don't underestimate your foe. If you do, you're probably dead." - Kelvar, to Torrence the Strong
  • Options
    pelomixapelomixa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xariama wrote: »
    Wow... I'll hand out tissues for everyone here. Sorry your Easy Buttons are broken.
    ROFL, now this is funny :) /grabs a tissue
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I thought this thread was about the time I was recently playing PvP on my DC and ran to point 2 while the entire rest of my team went to 1 and I was creamed in milliseconds when the enemy horde descended upon me. It turns out that was not the case.
  • Options
    raal1raal1 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've been playing MMOs since the release of EQ1. I've never seen players quit in droves as quickly as they have in this game. It's absolutely normal to have players quit after the first couple months. This game's set a new precendent though. 100+ guild members at launch, all active on a regular basis dropped down to 2-3 active guild members. 50+ people on my friends list that were all active on almost a daily basis, is now 0-2 online. I've never had this happen in any other MMO I've played in the past. Most of the people I played the game with on a regular basis quit playing before the game was even released. That's definitely a first for me.
  • Options
    vladimirwtfvladimirwtf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ok, let me explain a bit more what makes me think that this game won't make it far.

First of all, this is a MMO game, it shouldn't be focused on single play grind and it is good that it isn't, but some hardcore fans can enjoy in always new foundry quests. What troubles me is complete failiure to implement some security measures against cheats/exploits and bots. I am playing mostly PVP let's say 90% Of a time in game and it was quite enjoyable until bots came. Nowadays I can't join amatch where we don't have at least 2 bots per side. When you check their gear, they are wearing level 10 equipment in a level 49 PVP. I havent seen that many in lvl60 games, but be sure - they WILL come to ruin game on that tier as well! As I said,they are a HUUUUGE handicap for a team and they kill every desire to play that mode. When the match starts, I need to waste 2-3 minutes on reporting those bots, but after a while I see that there is no point in doing so - game is free and they will just create another account and do itall over again, now in greater numbers and more importantly I am not willing to do someone else's job while i am supposed to be playing and relaxing. Worst of all- you can't even kick them like before. Do you remember the time when you leave pvp and can't join it again until you restart the game? Well that bug was only sure way of disabling bots because after kick, they couldn't join game any more.

When I get tired of trying to find a normal match in pvp, I try a bit of PVE. Fast runs, fast runs, exploits... jump trough this window, fall trough this and that object... where is the fun in that? Feels like a job where everyone rushes to get gear by doing every glitch at their disposal that it becomes tiresome.

Congrats, now everyone has top gear... to kill bots in pvp! :-)

I made 5 alts, for every class and I wated to level them all to 60 like my main CW, but only trough pvp. Unfortunatly that's not possible any more.

4000 zen and 60$ for founders pack, this is what I paid so far since the first day of open beta and I am still not a blind fanboy to see obvious problems that WILL kill the game fast if they are not solved FAST. I had a guild of 20, now there are 3 active low tier players. I see more guilds with similar problems, but those players didn't wrote about it like I did - they just left with bitter taste in their mouths and uninstalled the game.

Seems to me that player that played other PW games were right - after initial hype, game is put into low priority mode to milk money from new players and hard core fanboys.
    Vlasterx / NWN founder
  • Options
    teufeldritchteufeldritch Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The fastest MMO death that I know of was the original All Points Bulletin. It was released & not even a month later it shut down. Tho it did get resurrected some time later after it's initial demise as All Points Bulletin:Reloaded.
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The fastest MMO death that I know of was the original All Points Bulletin. It was released & not even a month later it shut down. Tho it did get resurrected some time later after it's initial demise as All Points Bulletin:Reloaded.

heh. I did try to get into APB, man, that game was bad :)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    v0li0nv0li0n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    raal1 wrote: »
    I've been playing MMOs since the release of EQ1. I've never seen players quit in droves as quickly as they have in this game. It's absolutely normal to have players quit after the first couple months. This game's set a new precendent though. 100+ guild members at launch, all active on a regular basis dropped down to 2-3 active guild members. 50+ people on my friends list that were all active on almost a daily basis, is now 0-2 online. I've never had this happen in any other MMO I've played in the past. Most of the people I played the game with on a regular basis quit playing before the game was even released. That's definitely a first for me.

Sadly, I have to agree. Everyone I know has quit with no intention of returning. :(
    holdtheline.com - gaming advocacy network
  • Options
    azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    shadedkin wrote: »
    Wrong. There are tons of people who are still playing. The "Fastest MMO death in history" and also one of the most expensive to make MMO was Star Wars: The Old Republic. It costed an estimated 150-200 million dollars and went free to play after a few months.

They are actually doing quite well atm, last I've heard they've managed to double their revenue since going F2P - which isn't quite the same as the huge number of subscribers they had at launch, but it's far from dead.
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Jesus...I don't which astroturfing company has been hired to bash the game but they suck at it. :rolleyes:
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is the MMO that has great potential, but one that has died before it even started!

PVE is bugged so much that no one goes for normal dungeon runs any more. Everyone is going for fast runs and bug exploits. In return we have huge number of players with best equipment and economy in ruins.

PVP has become unplayable as well - every time I go to a fight, there are at least 2 bots in my team with level 10 equipment. They always die in 2-3 shots so there is no point healing them or helping them in any way. That is a huge handicap for any team.

I paid for founders pack and 4000 zen. Never cheated, never used exploits. It was fun for me before exploits and bots started, but now I feel I was cheated for my money. I don't see a point in playing this game any more. More over - there is no point in playing any Cryptic or Perfect World game with this kind of attitude. :mad:

Played the game today was packed as ever what you talkin' about Willis?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    raal1 wrote: »

1.) You joined the wrong guild (if you wanted to stick around and enjoy Neverwinter).

2.) You have the wrong friends (if you wanted to stick around and enjoy Neverwinter).

3.) That's nothing compared to the drop off SWTOR had.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    So many people on when I play I do not see the quiting in droves people are talking about. And I think SWTOR was the fastest one I seen, yet it's still got a population and still alive. If you want a popularity contest go play LOL it's got what 44million players? or had. Farmville with their 23million players..

Popularity does not mean quality or good, Look at Mc Donalds do you think their food is great because they serve a billion people?
    I hope the answer is no :P Mc Donald's food always makes me sick :O
  • Options
    okaminosukeokaminosuke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    shadedkin wrote: »
    Wrong. There are tons of people who are still playing.
    Wrong. There are tons of people who are exploiting or leveling their chars to exploit.

Game is broken because devs are to lazy to fix it. State of the game is good only if playing a game for you means jumping through walls.
This discussion has been closed.