test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone remember a time when people made videogames for the love of video games?

Comments

• revenantbobrevenantbob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This was my first MMO I ever played if you don't count text muds.

Anyone who paid for AOL and played this probably remembers that it had 500 player limit and you had to sit trying to connect over and over again to get in... also my first D&D experience.

250px-Neverwinter_Nights_AOL_startscreen.png

neverwinter-nights-oldmmorpg.jpg?ec9f9b

I really miss that Turn-based strategy MMO feel -_-
    houserin_signature.png
  • screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    ^ Never got to play the AOL NWN, but absolutely prefer turn-based over real time button mashing. There's that Kickstarter for Divinity: Original Sin which looks interesting (I never player the previous titles) turn-based, modding toolset. Keeping my eye on that one.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    UO really ruined me for turn-based, party-based RPGs, somehow. Well, maybe the Ultimas did, too. I was a huge fan of U8: Pagan, though most people didn't like it. One of those games I would love to re-play, but don't quite dare.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • jorealjoreal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This was my first MMO I ever played if you don't count text muds.

Anyone who paid for AOL and played this probably remembers that it had 500 player limit and you had to sit trying to connect over and over again to get in... also my first D&D experience.

250px-Neverwinter_Nights_AOL_startscreen.png

neverwinter-nights-oldmmorpg.jpg?ec9f9b

I really miss that Turn-based strategy MMO feel -_-

I lived in a rural area in Minnesota and didn't have a local dialup to AOL so I never played the game much, but I did have a few choice phone bills for a while when I tried to play it. Was just too expensive because of the access.

I LOVED the battletech game on Gamestorm. I hope the new game has some ability to recapture the stuggle to take territory and such.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I quite like this "Guess This Old Title!" game. :p Here's one, which is probably not too hard to guess:

vq1S2sE.jpg

(Amazing graphics at the time!)
  • flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No, I remember times when people made video games because they were hoping they'd struck a market from which they could make money.

My rose-colored glasses broke a long, long time ago.
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • immagikman2immagikman2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    UO really ruined me for turn-based, party-based RPGs, somehow. Well, maybe the Ultimas did, too. I was a huge fan of U8: Pagan, though most people didn't like it. One of those games I would love to re-play, but don't quite dare.
    I still like the turn based games, when done right they are quite fun. I don't see the great allure for the fast twitch muscle memory games...I just use keyboard macros for that kind of stuff...I like time to look at the pretty graphics and surroundings....in games like Diablo 3 I have fun but feel too rushed to enjoy the scenery.
    If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.
  • jorealjoreal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »

Ultima 7 was my favorite. I didn't much care for any of the ones that came after that. After that I would say Ultima 4 was my 2nd favorite.
  • immagikman2immagikman2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    @Imivo that has a lot of the "Eye of the Beholder" look to it but I dont remember the series too well.
  • imaginaryhawkimaginaryhawk Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    There never was a time like this, yo *** is naive ta believe this. Videogame have always, from tha straight-up start, existed only ta make scrilla.
    edited May 2013
    joreal wrote: »
    Ultima 7 was my favorite. I didn't much care for any of the ones that came after that. After that I would say Ultima 4 was my 2nd favorite.

Ultima, Ultima 2, Ultima 3, Ultima 7 both A&B parts. were my faves...when each was launched. 4 was ok, 5 I didnt get to play due to being overseas and unable to access US markets at the time, same for 6......8 I skipped because I dont like platoformer type games and the jumping just was not my thing...IX was so broken I couldnt finish it.
  • entalyanentalyan Member Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    Did anyone ever, really? When is something a labor of love, and when is it motivated by money? My motivation for solo projects is usually: I'ld love to do this! And I can actually try to sell it later, and hopefully make a living.
    If that last component isn't present, a project of mine will usually do worse. I'll set higher quality standards sure, and make no compromises to how I want it to work/look/feel. But I also tend to go WAY over budget (which in this case is just time), and possibly never finish it.
    edited May 2013
    entalyan wrote: »
    Did anyone ever, really? When is something a labor of love, and when is it motivated by money? My motivation for solo projects is usually: I'ld love to do this! And I can actually try to sell it later, and hopefully make a living.
    If that last component isn't present, a project of mine will usually do worse. I'll set higher quality standards sure, and make no compromises to how I want it to work/look/feel. But I also tend to go WAY over budget (which in this case is just time), and possibly never finish it.

Entalyan dont listen to those kinds of people, they have no creativity or abilities of their own so they don't get it. You create something out of a desire to just do it..to see if you can do it...sometimes later you think to try and sell it..it still happens that way now on occasion but in the 70's and 80's that is how I worked...to see if I could do it for myself.
  • synstervsynsterv Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Everquest before Sony got involved, miss those days
  • revenantbobrevenantbob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You guys didn't like Super Ultima Brothers? I mean, Ultima 8?
    houserin_signature.png
  • entalyanentalyan Member Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    Entalyan dont listen to those kinds of people, they have no creativity or abilities of their own so they don't get it. You create something out of a desire to just do it..to see if you can do it...sometimes later you think to try and sell it..it still happens that way now on occasion but in the 70's and 80's that is how I worked...to see if I could do it for myself.

Yeah I think I might have exaggerated that a bit, I actually do loads of things that have no monetary value. ;) But I DO like to pretend they do, just to keep some sort of project management going. Otherwise I'll just keep tinkering on that *part of whatever I'm making* until it's perfect or I die of old age, probably the latter ;)
    edited May 2013
    @Imivo that has a lot of the "Eye of the Beholder" look to it but I dont remember the series too well.

Close, but nope!

I guess many of the early first person RPGs looked similar. :)
    edited May 2013

That was the same thing I was going to say, but the graphics weren't quite as good. I remember playing that one on the Sega Genesis many moons ago, great game. :)
    edited May 2013
    Okay, maybe not as easy to guess as I thought, then! :)

It was the second installment of an RPG series of five games so far, and the newest one came out in 2011.
    edited May 2013
    Has to be Morrowind then, another title I missed (started with Oblivion in that series).

err Daggerfall, what am I saying lol Morrowind was III
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wingofbenu wrote: »
    Kickstarter begs to differ.

Oh, I expect that people running Kickstarters expect to profit as well.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    edited May 2013
    Has to be Morrowind then, another title I missed (started with Oblivion in that series).
    Nope nothing like Morrowwind or the earlier parts of that...looks familiar but cant dig it out of the brain.
    edited May 2013
    err Daggerfall, what am I saying lol Morrowind was III

Daggerfall it is! :)
  • erdokanerdokan Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    I've been trying to lighten the mood of the boards, but it seems people aren't having it.

Well, your thread makes a serious point - one that has been on my mind for a while now. It is very fitting to bring up on these forums in particular. It would be great if certain people realized that there is more to life than making money since it won't do you any good once you're dead.

Far better games would have been made by now if it wasn't for the fact that all rich gaming companies have the money money money mindset. Always wanting more even though you have enough to lead a good life. Not just talking about gaming companies when I say that btw, it's spread throughout the world (for example: football players leaving their club if a wage cut is required due to circumstances while they already have millions of $$$ on their bank account).
    David Valtiere, Lvl 70 TR with perfect Lvl 60 gear which I don't want to replace cause nostalgia yo ;_;
    edited May 2013
    You guys didn't like Super Ultima Brothers? I mean, Ultima 8?

I liked it. :( I liked the jumping, too!

Have you Ultima fans looked at the indie game "Driftmoon"? I got this during alpha funding and it had a bit of an Ultima feel to it. (It's released now.)
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    I still think you guts should try out akaneiro!

I looked at it a few months ago when they invited me into the beta, but it was a flash game and ran in the browser. It seemed promising, but playing in the browser wasn't my thing. I got an email a few days ago where they mentioned a Steam release. It'll be a standalone game?
  • eycezeycez Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    narathkor wrote: »
    Lord British is making a new game, he has over 2 million in funds already so it will get produced.

Word. I still have my Lineage "British is Back" shirt that they sent out like 12 years ago.
  • wrenaqwrenaq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Heck I think it all died when business people saw codemasters founders the Darling brothers make a million before they were 20...
    Sinclair spectrum days :D where you could code your own games so easy :D
  • cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wrenaq wrote: »
    Sinclair spectrum days :D where you could code your own games so easy :D

Wow, that's certainly dated. ;) Before my Trash-80 times.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • kyssumikyssumi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 73
    edited May 2013
    Theres still a few out there these days just not nearly as much nor are they as well known. Red5 and Grinding Gear Games are both great independent companies that actually care about their games and community more than ONLY profits unlike 90% of todays gaming industry.
    "Reality is but a figment of our collective imaginations." -N.E.S.