test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone remember a time when people made videogames for the love of video games?

shahualingshahualing Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
a47.jpg
Post edited by shahualing on

Comments

• wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They still do.

Its just people like Perfect World/Cryptic saw ideas like Kickstarter, and immediately debated ways to pervert them into a form more useable to exploit idiots. (like Founders Packs)
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Call me a cynic but all I remember is back when you had to write your own & give them away to prove/demo that you had some know how so you could get hired... and I remember shareware, the honor system where people supposedly send you money but never do...

but writing them to give away because it was fun? Not since the time before hard drives.
  • s3pts3pt Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Devs still generally get into it because they are passionate about gaming. They quickly learn that the industry is run by corporate types who don't care a wit about gaming or gamers and only care about the bottom line. They are continually looking for ways to fleece customers with as little cost as possible. It's quite sad really, but that's the reality of the industry.
  • narathkornarathkor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lord British is making a new game, he has over 2 million in funds already so it will get produced.
    Please check out my foundry quests!
    The Sins of the Father NW-DLN6BC8NX
    A Name For Yourself NW-DRBWMCFL4
    Click Here To Visit The Official Thread
  • glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    a47.jpg

Love it! How dare you post something so humorous and fun!

Remember folks played video games for fun? I don't know what half these people are doing but they sure don't sound like they are playing a video game and they sure don't sound like they are having any fun!
    edited May 2013
    Uhh Shahualig you are way off, Lord British was very much a part of the entire ultima series success up to the sell to EA
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    noroblad wrote: »
    Call me a cynic but all I remember is back when you had to write your own & give them away to prove/demo that you had some know how so you could get hired... and I remember shareware, the honor system where people supposedly send you money but never do... .

I made thousands with shareware in the late eighties and early nineties! First people sent bills in the mail, and then paid through CompuServe's registration service. I should have kept doing that, but instead I got sucked into IT journalism and eventually ended up in the community field. Social games since 1995. Writing software involved less drama and was better paid. :p

Most people who make games enjoy doing it. I don't think that was ever different or has changed. But it is like with any other job: there are times when it isn't fun or when it downright sucks. Making games stopped being a niche industry in the early eighties already.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
    edited May 2013
    s3pt wrote: »
    Devs still generally get into it because they are passionate about gaming. They quickly learn that the industry is run by corporate types who don't care a wit about gaming or gamers and only care about the bottom line. They are continually looking for ways to fleece customers with as little cost as possible. It's quite sad really, but that's the reality of the industry.

Pretty much this, yep.

Same as a lot of Graphic Designers get into package design, and as my package design teacher put it.

package design is the art of lying to people in order to get them to buy your product.
  • floredonfloredon Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    commercial video games have always been a product that is expected to produce a profit. if there is no money in making video games, guess what, no video games worth your time will be made.
    edited May 2013
    He was part of the begining of ultima online, I went to dinner at his castle during a big promotional event.

He started thinking about other projects and considering the sell during the whole councelor sueing origin fiasco. Notice that was about the time all the good GM events stopped in Ultima Online as well.
    edited May 2013
    floredon wrote: »
    commercial video games have always been a product that is expected to produce a profit. if there is no money in making video games, guess what, no video games worth your time will be made.

Kickstarter begs to differ.
  • askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    glannigan wrote: »
    Love it! How dare you post something so humorous and fun!

Remember folks played video games for fun? I don't know what half these people are doing but they sure don't sound like they are playing a video game and they sure don't sound like they are having any fun!

Welcome to the warcraft generation:

1) spoiled
    2) bratty
    3) self-centered
    4) narcisstic
    5) socially challenged

That is why gaming is a "job" for a lot of people now days. Kids now days gotta have the mostest... and gotta have it first... and then brag about it.... the make fun of those that don't.... rinse and repeat.

The problem is these games have become the only social outlet for kids now days.. Man I'm glad all we had was an Atari 2600 when I was a kid... I can't imagine missing out on everything I did as I kid.
  • floredonfloredon Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wingofbenu wrote: »
    Kickstarter begs to differ.
    yes but kickstarter is bad for the people kickstarting because they aren't really investing in endeavors, and instead giving out money for stupid perks. it's a fiasco really.
    edited May 2013
    yes but kickstarter is bad for the people kickstarting because they aren't really investing in endeavors, and instead giving out money for stupid perks. it's a fiasco really.

and at leats theytre funding some decent videogame ideas like wasteland and shadowrun.

as opposed to here where you pay Cryptic 200 dollars for some perks and a half finished game with a cash shop/.
  • maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yes I remember because I'm old.

GGG (Path of Exile) do seem like the real deal to me, so there is hope.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • immagikman2immagikman2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Kickstarter programs invested in (games made by gamers for gamers):

Chris Roberts: Star Citizen Star Citizen
    Brown Coats fleet for Star Citizen
    Richard Gariot: Shroud of the Avatar Shroud of the Avatar
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Torment: Tieds of Numenera
    Project Eternity Project Eternity
    inExile: Wasteland 2 Wasteland 2

As you can see I invest in projects that are games for gamers by gamers. I invested in D&D Neverwinter because I liked the concept...I still believe it can be a great game. But its a small investment compared to the 40x that I have with Chris Roberts for Star Citizen. My money, My rules..I invest where I want, when I want and how much I want for the things I want. I wanted D&D neverwinter and hope it does well. People who don't invest any of their own assets to games should quit whining about those who do....we make the games possible.

Maho4200.....check out GoG.com :) Also look at some of the projects I linked to if you miss some of the games from long ago.
    If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.
  • revenantbobrevenantbob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm certain tons of Devs at Cryptic love making video games. I'm certain they love their jobs. And I'm certain (Much like me at my software company) they have 0 say in the prices of items in the stores. I'm sure a dev is probably grumbling in a corner going "This would not have happened if someone from marketing listened to me". Trust me, the Devs and the people raking in the cash for their efforts are two different groups.
    houserin_signature.png
  • jorealjoreal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    a47.jpg

Remember when people played games instead of *****ing about how everything sucks and unbalanced? How the games we were playing weren't filled with ******bags and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> complaining about how they should be given everything without having to do anything at all. That they are somehow entitled to something because they said they deserve it. Remember when game creation wasn't a democracy and the developers did what they wanted regardless of what the fans said.

It wasn't the developers who changed it was the fanbase that changed. Developers can't make something for the sake of making it because then they get lynched by the masses for doing things differently or not the way the fans want it. Now its all about pleasing the fans because otherwise the people on the forums will make sure that your game isn't successful. People go well out of their way to not only not play a game, but to make sure that EVERYONE knows that they don't like it. Instead of walking away from a game because its not to their suiting people complain and moan about how everyone who likes it is stupid and should be playing something else. It's because lots of people can't stand that others like things they don't. It's stupid.

Hell even Kripparian said it himself in one of his recent videos. Something to the effect that he's been playing NW even though a friend told him that it sucked. He admits its play to win, but that's because he's trying to instill the same kind of competition in the PVE and PVP that WoW has. The reality is I don't see one single thing in the game that indicates that PVP or PVE in their current form has any competition to it at all. This is a competition that the PLAYERS are creating amongst themselves and they are complaining that the rules aren't fair. That's like saying that planking in the highway isn't fair because the cars can kill you. The road was never intended for stupid competitions so the fact that it is unfair is irrelevant. IF/WHEN they put in rankings then you can start complaining about how this game won't be in the competitive PVP/PVE scene, when again nothing indicates its even trying to compete in that space.
    edited May 2013
    I think a shadowrun game would be silly now, why not just make a life game. I mean really netlinks are just cell phones, most of the things in shadowrun is modern world stuff now lol.

I am liking the progress of Greed Monger however.

The problem today is all the kiddies want cool graphics and could care less about the gameplay itself. Example perfect example is Savage, Savage 1 (or Savage xr) is much better than savage 2, they went the pretty but who cares about play <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in savage 2.
  • balthezorebalthezore Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Welcome to the warcraft generation:

1) spoiled
    2) bratty
    3) self-centered
    4) narcisstic
    5) socially challenged

That is why gaming is a "job" for a lot of people now days. Kids now days gotta have the mostest... and gotta have it first... and then brag about it.... the make fun of those that don't.... rinse and repeat.

The problem is these games have become the only social outlet for kids now days.. Man I'm glad all we had was an Atari 2600 when I was a kid... I can't imagine missing out on everything I did as I kid.

Warcraft was a great game. So I'm not sure what are you getting at. If any one is to blame it's consoles. Dumping down games for larger crowd. If you seriously blame Blizzard for spoiling gaming world. Well, wake up.

They still tend to produce highest quallity games at market and even if they fail to deliver such product. They rush with patches and try to minimize damage done to community.
    I maybe sound as Blizzard fanboy, but I'm not. It's simply fact that they are one of few gaming companies that actually care. While EA and similar to them just throw junk out every few months and call it a game.
  • immagikman2immagikman2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

You obviously have been part of the wrong Kickstart programs....if you have in fact been part of any.
    If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.
  • cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ah, I do. :) But there are still devs who make video games for the love of us. In fact I'm sure many of them work for Cryptic. The only problem is the publishers who love to wring out the most profit from their work. So instead of something reasonable and morally sound, we have $200 founder packages and people who spend $500 within the in-game shop.

Some of it is the fault of the consumer, some of it is the fault of the publisher. But I sure do miss the days when developers published their own work and didn't dedicate thousands of man hours to planning profit strategies. Simpler times. Heck, I even remember when developers sold computer games in zip lock bags for a one-time fee. I kid you not. Now the trend and craze is F2P with micro-transactions that are becoming more like macro-transactions. *sigh*
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Maho4200.....check out GoG.com :) Also look at some of the projects I linked to if you miss some of the games from long ago.
    What should I check on gog?

And I already looked at some of those games you listed previously, especially the Numeria one looked like something for me.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    devs that do it for enjoyment get squashed by big business just ask 38studios about that one all of them had a passion for games and brought out a great enjoyable game but because they were up against some of the biggiest names they didnt make enough to stay afloat
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    balthezore wrote: »
    Warcraft was a great game. So I'm not sure what are you getting at. If any one is to blame it's consoles. Dumping down games for larger crowd. If you seriously blame Blizzard for spoiling gaming world. Well, wake up.

They still tend to produce highest quallity games at market and even if they fail to deliver such product. They rush with patches and try to minimize damage done to community.
    I maybe sound as Blizzard fanboy, but I'm not. It's simply fact that they are one of few gaming companies that actually care. While EA and similar to them just throw junk out every few months and call it a game.

Warcraft was a great game up until Lich King or the months right before its release. In fact, probably the best era of gaming I ever enjoyed... outside of UO/EQ1 and one of the MUDs I played for years before that.

Nothing will ever replace the guild I was in and the hours we spent tackling MC/BWL/Naxx. Good times indeed. Sadly most of us are still chasing that pipe dream we will find those days again. The games change, but the people don't.

Everything has been going downhill since then.
    edited May 2013
    narathkor wrote: »
    I think a shadowrun game would be silly now, why not just make a life game. I mean really netlinks are just cell phones, most of the things in shadowrun is modern world stuff now lol.

I am liking the progress of Greed Monger however.

The problem today is all the kiddies want cool graphics and could care less about the gameplay itself. Example perfect example is Savage, Savage 1 (or Savage xr) is much better than savage 2, they went the pretty but who cares about play <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in savage 2.

Hey, at leats in shadowrun's world I can get paid to do blackops by megacorps instead of the real world where megacorps demand I pay them :P
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I remember when I figured out I could slide under blocks in Super Mario Brothers. It blew my mind. Then I figured out the infinite 1up turtle on stair trick. My universe imploded.
  • jorealjoreal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This actually never happened. People always complained about video games, and the developers. The only difference is the internet gives wider audience than just your circle of friends.

You said something that is correct, but are interpreting incorrectly. Yes people complained, but their sphere of influence was small. Now you can have just a few people all yelling and screaming about something and make it sound like everyone agrees when in reality they are just a very tiny noisy minority.

There is no polling, there is no evidence that everyone is complaining, but everyone who is complaining immediately tries to speak for everyone else. The reality is a minority of players actually even go to the forums. Its common knowledge that people will go well out of their way to complain about something, but not do so to praise it. To make matters worse often times people who do praise the game get flamed by those that don't like it because they are fanboys. When they are doing exactly what the complainer is doing, expressing their individual opinion.
  • balthezorebalthezore Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Warcraft was a great game up until Lich King or the months right before its release. In fact, probably the best era of gaming I ever enjoyed... outside of UO/EQ1 and one of the MUDs I played for years before that.

Everything has been going downhill since then.

Still majority enjoyed later products and latest SC2 expansion was huge sucess. I never got into SC games before but SC2 expansion pack was really fun to me. But yeah, "blame" consoles and Asian rushed games. It's pretty much them who spoiled gaming community. Though gamers always have been same.

Also even back at 90's early 2000 there have been many, many trolls, ragers, flamers, immature players. It's just that not every one had Internet as people do nowdays. So take that into credit. Gamers are still same but point is there is just wider crowd.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I did kickstarter a few things, and funnily enough...I never ever felt ripped off. This game I feel ripped off just playing, and not spending any money.

Why are you here? It's a genuine question, not a thinly veiled "Get out.". (You sound interesting enough, so feel free to stay!) Why play a game, why participate in its community, if you don't enjoy it? I don't get this mindset. What a terrible waste of precious time when there are numerous games out there that you could be playing and having fun with right now! Why not find something that excites you, makes you feel enthusiastic? Why is it so hard to walk away from something so non-essential? Is it just fun to wallow in negativity, drag down others, validate through moaning?

"I complain, therefore I am."?

Recently, I wasted $90 on Defiance. I played a few days and didn't have fun after the first night. The next day I hung out on the forum, slowly growing more resentful. Suddenly it hit me. What was I doing there, really? Then I walked away and chalked up the money and the time.

You don't get your time back by spending MORE time on something you don't enjoy.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!