test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ability Min/Maxing for DPS

elexraelexra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
edited April 2013 in PvE Discussion
Giving some thought to assigning Ability scores for maximizing damage output, but I'm not certain which primary/secondary combination provides the highest total potential damage and wanted to get the community's thoughts.

For example, take a TR: Dex contributes to critical chance while Str contributes to damage bonus. Assuming a +2 racial bonus for Dex (I know Half Orc can get +2 to both Dex and Str, but let's put that aside for now), which would be the best starting scores for Dex and Str:

20 13 --> +10% critical chance, +3% damage bonus
19 14 --> +9% critical chance, +4% damage bonus
18 16 --> +8% critical chance, +6% damage bonus

I've kept Cha out of the equation, but understand that it affects Combat Advantage dmg.

My understanding is that Critical Damage is 175% of "regular" damage. If this is correct, then it seems that the bonus damage from the higher Str more than offsets the extra crit chance and results in higher overall DPS. Is this correct?

Same logic could be applied to CW with Int and Cha.

Thoughts or feedback on this would be appreciated.
Post edited by elexra on

Comments

• misterianusmisterianus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am also curious about this, what would be most benefitial?
  • wolfpaqdwolfpaqd Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Do we know the base multipliers on crit?

If crit doubles damage then 1% crit = 1% damage and it's trivial to figure out (8% & 6% would be the best combo).

However, if crit is only 50% increase then 1% crit = 50% damage (8% & 6% is still the best).

That math is simple enough. Imagine a scenario with 100 hits for 100 damage each.

0% crit and 0% damage = 10,000 damage

1% crit (1 hit does 100 *extra* damage) and 0% damage = 10,100 damage (1% damage increase)

1% crit and 1% damage (every hit now does 101) = 10,100 damage (1% damage increase)

Then again, there is also crit "severity" to consider so I'm not sure we know enough variables to calulate it out yet. Also some talents for certain classes increase the damage gain from strength. So a lot of unknowns at this point.
  • elexraelexra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Actually for 1% Crit and 1% damage, you would get 99*101 + 1*202 = 10201... but I see your point and I agree: make Str as high as possible for max DPS. This assumes Crit damage is 1.75x or even 2x normal damage. Now, if Crit damage is 3x normal damage, then the outcome changes and max Dex yield higher overall damage.

Agree that there are too many unknowns at this point.
  • idontcomehereidontcomehere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Option 3 looks best to me... Remember that higher base damage means stronger crits too.
  • misterianusmisterianus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Any way we can have a look at the lvl 60 gear? would help to decide what to go with since 1% crit might not be all that great if you get a lot of crit on gear.