test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FAQ - AD/AH Exploit Follow-Up

Comments

• fiinch9fiinch9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm sure it's because after looking at the data, that's when ALL the extra money/transactions were showing up in the world economy. The mass amounts that mattered and had an effect on things, anyway? Didn't they say they were still looking into it? It's not over till' it's over.
  • hayzehayze Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So last night after you released your action plan to us I went to check my tickets.. low and behold the ticket I submitted about the auction house on 11 May 2013 was deleted and I couldnt access it with the number on the email I got. way to try to cover your tracks. Unfortunately for you I have all the copies of all the tickets I submitted about the subject and you can lie to all these people all you like. I just want my refund ASAP.
  • paganhawkpaganhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pois0nman wrote: »
    There have been plenty of reports of this exploit happening since the start of open beta and even some saying it was happening in closed. They need to fix the problem (exploits and bugs) and wipe.

I don't see how rolling back 7 Hours, banning accounts, and just continuing on like nothing happened solves anything.

Agreed, they need to fix the bug, and it appears they are doing that, however long it took. But by your origional post, you stated that banning does no good because they would just created new character/account and do it again, and I was wondering how a wipe would stop this, as it seemed you were saying it would.
  • bowmankcmobowmankcmo Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I for one am glad this game is labeled 'Open Beta'. Why? Because it is that status which convinced me absolutely not to buy anything with real money. Beta is for finding bugs. This new practice of having real money transactions within BETAS is both astounding and not surprising at all, but given that betas are expected to be buggy, and given that real money transaction systems are in place within the beta, there may be potential, exploitable bugs within those systems too. Obviously we've just seen one occur. And of course there may be more. You can bet that the moment this one was busted up, there are people striving very hard to find more exploits. There are some people who live for that, just as there are some people whose primary hobby in life is coming up with destructive computer viruses. It's the nature of the world. Some people make beautiful things, some people smear themselves across beautiful things.

The one saving grace for all of us is that we have the choice to support the real money transaction model within betas, or NOT TO. Call me a 'freeloader' all you want. I'm playing a freely-offered beta game until it goes live, at which point I will likely support it with real money. That's once a majority of bugs are ironed out and things are relatively smooth. This isn't an indie game from an indie developer. They don't need my money to survive.

Beta game with real money transactions. Buyer beware.
  • jukejointjezebeljukejointjezebel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    we're speaking about a chinese company I think? So I'm going with running an operation on the side exploiting this to their own gain as well. people should just take their money back and show them that this is not tolerable.

*cough* Perfect World is based in the Bay Area.
    300wc45.jpgfa0uv6.jpg
  • jukejointjezebeljukejointjezebel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    alek340 wrote: »
    I discovered this exploit myself prior to all this nonsense. I tested it and made a ticket fot tech support detailing how it's done and what game functions it impacts, including the Zen market. What did I get for this? My account was banned. I am going to post on Redditt and any other forum I can find as I think it's unexcusable I was banned when I reported this exploit in good faith and nothing was done. The staff had my ticket and never responded. Now, as a paying member of the community, I was banned and lost the money I've legitimately spent on this title. I don't want a refund, but I do want my account unlocked.

Contact support and explain the situation. I doubt that they were reviewing tickets last night as they were trying to fix this, and you unfortunately got caught in the cross-fire. That really sucks. But give them a chance to fix it before you go screaming to Reddit.
    300wc45.jpgfa0uv6.jpg
  • bishop2c3bishop2c3 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    *cough* Perfect World is based in the Bay Area.

*cough* *cough* Perfect World North America is owned by Perfect World LTD out of Beijing. If you're going to be condescending, please get your facts right.
  • novamournenovamourne Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't know. Im not really happy, but it is a beta. Most beta's I've played wipe your characters and do roll backs constantly. Everyone is over reacting, imo.
  • vulcan111vulcan111 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can I start leveling my character again, or is it possible another rollback might occur yet?
  • muliermulier Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fresh shard , when zen is account hold? - not a good idea to begin with
  • obitussssobitussss Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »

Q: I leveled up after 5:20 AM PDT -- what happens to that progress?

A: Unfortunately, in order to properly fix this exploit, that progress has, by necessity, been lost. We know how much that progress means to all Neverwinter players, though, so we're putting together a package to thank everyone for their support. We plan to distribute this towards the middle or end of this coming week, possibly on Friday 5/24.

my vote goes for the drow race for everyone along with the warlock and ranger classes!
  • muliermulier Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the only real solution would have been a drastic rollback or wipe - none of these actions have been taken - and the ecoinomy might ave been damaged beyond normal ways of repairing it (eg ad-sinks). there jsut has to be like 5-10 accounts they dont get. with millions of ad on them.
  • pois0nmanpois0nman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    paganhawk wrote: »
    Agreed, they need to fix the bug, and it appears they are doing that, however long it took. But by your origional post, you stated that banning does no good because they would just created new character/account and do it again, and I was wondering how a wipe would stop this, as it seemed you were saying it would.

Well if this has been going on since the last wipe, aka the start of open beta, then a 7 hour roll back is not going to fix all the damage already done by this ONE exploit never mind all the countless other exploits and bugs that are now floating around reddit and the internet as a whole.

I can't see why they can't wipe, they have records of everyone that purchased Zen from them and other packs and can have them start with all that again. Only thing lost is time, which is unfortunate but it is still open beta. I know they publicly said no more wipes, but these are extenuating circumstances, and I see how it is a necessary evil.

I would have said unforeseen circumstances instead of extenuating if these exploits and bugs were "new", but with all these reports of them being around since closed beta / the start of open beta, and even some people saying STO had similar problems rules out it being "unforeseen".
  • solyad1solyad1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    bazdolin wrote: »
    The most disappointing thing for me is that with all the experience of creating and working with MMOs at Perfect World, that this glitch still got into the game, took so long to be discovered and worst of all took so long for a solution to be reached and implemented. A failure at any one of those points would be understandable, to err is human after all. But for the safeguards I assume have been built into the game to fail at so many points strongly suggests a failure of design and leadership in their implementation.

The worst part is this was reported months ago and nothing was done to fix it. That demonstrates gross incompetence, well beyond the crappy internal testing they obviously are not doing. If it was a new exploit, maybe they get a pass, but the fact it was reported months ago and they did nothing about it points to systemic failures within in organization.

That does not bode well for the future of this game or other titles PW is developing. Very bad sign.
  • bishop2c3bishop2c3 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can they just roll us forward? I'm tired after yesterday. I have a feeling there will be an XP boost of sorts in the thank you gift. I would be happier with an extra bag.
  • solyad1solyad1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    bowmankcmo wrote: »
    Beta game with real money transactions. Buyer beware.

Still not a beta. They sold a product and have responsibilities. If it were a beta, they would wipe it so no wipe means no beta.
  • skylia120410skylia120410 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I think a full wipe would have punished the honest players far more....I lvled twice before servers went down bought a respec and sold dyes (all legit) I was happy to see my Zen returned and didn't mind the roll back because I was thinking of re-rolling my GWF because I decided not only did I want the respec I wanted a new class.

yes, this might have been going on for longer than the rollback but let's face it a lot of people didn't know about it till yesterday when all hell broke lose, I saw the negative bids and thought "man that is odd" and then like and hour later the servers went down. I think what they did is best like someone pointed out in an earlier post the ppl who had exploited this since day 1 were few and far in between compared to those that took the advantage yesterday.

PWE and Cryptic did the right here by their customers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character handle:@skylia120410
    (www.gwfnw.weebly.com)
    GWF GUIDE SITE: Still being worked on not 60 yet
    Divine Misfits (one of the Guild Leaders)(Guild Site Manager)
    www.divinemisfits.guildlaunch.com
  • braddassbraddass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 108
    edited May 2013
    Will the gift be different for Founders? Something needs to done to address the fact that Founders Pack items have been devalued so much.

You advertised to pack to be worth $700. in this market, it is worth $100 at best.
    I am a Lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)
  • vamps37vamps37 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    Still no answers from Cryptic.... FAIL

Give us that want a new sever one. Admit you f-ed up and ingnored the issue. Your roll back did nothing to address/fix this problem. With this issue and all the other ones that have been used in the game the current ecomony is shot. do whats right and address it.
  • kazanlikkazanlik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is something called IP-Ban, obviously you never heared of it..
    There's also somethings called dynamically assigned IP Addresses and DHCP. Obviously you have never heard of them, or you are suggesting a full domain bans? Let's not let anyone from Verizon play! Any sort of ban is problematic to implement, but IP Bans have way too much potential for innocents to be caught in collateral damage while still letting the person you don't want in, in. I don't have an answer, but I know yours is not a good one.
    edited May 2013
    I can't see why they can't wipe, they have records of everyone that purchased Zen from them and other packs and can have them start with all that again. Only thing lost is time, which is unfortunate but it is still open beta. I know they publicly said no more wipes, but these are extenuating circumstances, and I see how it is a necessary evil.

It is all about the money. They won't (notice I didn't say can't) refund all that money because my guess is about 40% of it would never, EVER comeback. They have money in hand and have no intention of giving it back. Having said that, they recognize they do have responsibilities; otherwise, they would have just ignored the entire fiasco. They still face chargebacks from the credit card companies so they will have to absorb those losses, but my guess is it will be far less than if they did an across the board refund and hoped that the suckers, eerrrr customers made the same mistake twice and give it right back to them.
    edited May 2013
    Well if this has been going on since the last wipe, aka the start of open beta, then a 7 hour roll back is not going to fix all the damage already done by this ONE exploit never mind all the countless other exploits and bugs that are now floating around reddit and the internet as a whole.

I would have said unforeseen circumstances instead of extenuating if these exploits and bugs were "new", but with all these reports of them being around since closed beta / the start of open beta, and even some people saying STO had similar problems rules out it being "unforeseen".

Correct, I agree a roll back isn't going to totally fix the damage from this. But your origional post (which is what I was refering to) said that a ban and rollback would be ineffective because they could just create another character/account. And My question was how did a wipe prevent them from being able to do the same thing?
  • maniacjimmaniacjim Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No time to check entire thread....I'm missing 4 assets from my leadership profession. They were there way before this problem. Has anyone else had this issue? Known fix? Just submit ticket and keep fingers crossed?
  • xavrathxavrath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    solyad1 wrote: »
    Still not a beta. They sold a product and have responsibilities. If it were a beta, they would wipe it so no wipe means no beta.

There is no hard and fast rule that says there will always be a wipe after beta. Several other games have not had wipes when beta was complete. I would also like to remind people that World of Warcraft was practically unplayable at launch. It took Blizzard months to get that game working right. The difference is that so many people whine now when they get the least little bit of inconvenience because they forget the growing pains. They measure everything against perfect conditions that aren't attainable. If you show me a program without any bugs then I will show you a program that doesn't do anything worthwhile either.
  • soariansoarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wellll, it would seem that tickets have been created about this problem some time back...

http://s17.postimg.org/tu8qd0cyn/lolfail.jpg

This is me done with this company... I'll have to write off the stupid price I paid to get early access, and chalk it down as one of life's lessons. PW/Cryptic, you fooled me twice...
    edited May 2013
    solyad1 wrote: »
    It is all about the money. They won't (notice I didn't say can't) refund all that money because my guess is about 40% of it would never, EVER comeback. They have money in hand and have no intention of giving it back. Having said that, they recognize they do have responsibilities; otherwise, they would have just ignored the entire fiasco. They still face chargebacks from the credit card companies so they will have to absorb those losses, but my guess is it will be far less than if they did an across the board refund and hoped that the suckers, eerrrr customers made the same mistake twice and give it right back to them.

He didn't say refund the MONEY, he said refund the ZEN!!! they would still have the money.
  • xavrathxavrath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    maniacjim wrote: »
    No time to check entire thread....I'm missing 4 assets from my leadership profession. They were there way before this problem. Has anyone else had this issue? Known fix? Just submit ticket and keep fingers crossed?

Are you sure that you didn't upgrade hem to a higher level? There are several crafting tasks that take four lower level items and upgrade them to one higher level one.
  • strike2wcestrike2wce Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    soarian wrote: »
    Wellll, it would seem that tickets have been created about this problem some time back...

http://s17.postimg.org/tu8qd0cyn/lolfail.jpg

This is me done with this company... I'll have to write off the stupid price I paid to get early access, and chalk it down as one of life's lessons. PW/Cryptic, you fooled me twice...

It has already been confirmed that the screenshot you linked is Photoshopped. Stop spreading propaganda.
  • soariansoarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    strike2wce wrote: »
    It has already been confirmed that the screenshot you linked is Photoshopped. Stop spreading propaganda.

It's a 132-page thread, dude. I'm not trawling through it all.
  • strike2wcestrike2wce Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    soarian wrote: »
    It's a 132-page thread, dude. I'm not trawling through it all.

There are several threads already made about it. No need to spread it elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.