test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How long with Neverwinter last?

Comments

• Options
    rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    jjb828 wrote: »
    I don't even play Guild Wars anymore, also it's not only about that. It lacks things that other MMO's do well in, like PvP, hunting for items WITHOUT dungeons, a fun map, some different enemies and not always a group of 4 guys. Guild Wars was just a good example of a good MMO

For me, Neverwinter is a good example of a good mmo.
    Winning on an MMO is having the best achievable goal, completing whatever story the MMO has, and completing most of the quests. Being the Max level.

Winning on an mmo is having fun.
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like Neverwinter.

Pssst you should try to be more subtle, people will understand what you doing otherwise.... be careful...
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Winning on an MMO is having the best achievable goal, completing whatever story the MMO has, and completing most of the quests. Being the Max level.

Hmmm, how old are you?

BTW GW1 was so bad and dull and boring that I had to take stimulants even just to login....
    How am I doing? Am I doing it right?
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The main issue with longevity of MMOs is the players attitudes, not the game itself. People are afraid of taking a long time to level, difficult content, and loot grind, but these are the things that keep games in business. It used to be that 6 months was a solid benchmark where gamers could handedly defeat new content and acquire all the gear they wanted out of it. Nowdays that timeframe is 2 weeks or less. In some games, new raids get beaten on the same day of release. The players who cant get what they want that quickly by playing for it, do it by paying for it instead.

It all has to do with the amount of time the devs can crank out good content -vs- how long it takes to handedly beat said content. Its much harder if not impossible to crank out a game that will keep people playing these days, becuse folks will complain if the game isnt tailored for their convenience.
  • Options
    riven84riven84 Member, Banned Users Posts: 574 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »
    Guild Wars must have been the most short-lived MMO for me. I was already max level at the middle of the storyline

LMAO.

I guess you didn't realise that's how it's supposed to be. Levelling in GW is just the 'tutorial' part of the game.
  • Options
    wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been playing Neverwinter since it opened on Open Beta and.. Currently at level 41, almost 42, I feel like this game falls short for me in MMO aspects.

Guild Wars, for reasons unknown, held me for 5+ years. Some of it was the PvP, the events, the quests were actually interesting with Missions and such (allowing people to follow a story line), farming rare items without dungeons or raids, you could run around killing things to get things better then green items.

This game lacks most of that. There's, what, 2 PvP maps and 1 PvP mode. There's been a 2x AD weekend, but it still didn't feel great. There is hardly a main story quest to follow, so it doesn't feel like they really cared about the Story.. You can't farm unless you do dungeons or raids, in which you have to roll to get the item. Regular mobs hardly ever drop anything more than whites/greens.

It just doesn't feel right, I mean, it's a decent game, but I feel like it won't be alive (for me) for very long

I figure it'll last up until the easy money from people willing to buy 50 dollar cash shop pets dries up. then it'll be put in maintenance mode like half PWE's games while they launch another one
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    riven84 wrote: »
    LMAO.

I guess you didn't realise that's how it's supposed to be. Levelling in GW is just the 'tutorial' part of the game.

Which isn't something I totally agree too, I think that you should reach max level in the endgame, not after the first 3 instances.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Which isn't something I totally agree too, I think that you should reach max level in the endgame, not after the first 3 instances.

GW isn't a game built around the endgame/treadmill model
  • Options
    jjb828jjb828 Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, though, eventually you hardcore players will leave the tunnel of darkness and realize that, hey, Neverwinter isn't a long living MMO. It has, honestly, a months worth of content, because after you get good gear, get level 60, and have played the Dungeons over and over, you'll realize it's missing a lot of fun.
    Check out the Neverwinter/ESO guild Rogue's Gallery! While you're at our forums, submit an application and join our glorious regime!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Not to mention upon the games release (atleast to early beta players) SO MANY Exploits were involved, that some people are floating in cash, AD, Zen. It's funny. It wasn't even ready for Beta, was it an actual wipe if people kept items from Beta
    Check out the Neverwinter/ESO guild Rogue's Gallery! While you're at our forums, submit an application and join our glorious regime!
  • Options
    platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Foundry is what really interests me. The Planescape campaign so far has been far and away better than any main quest they've had so far, and Bill's Tavern had me laughing at my keyboard. I could see myself logging in now and then to try Foundry quests long after I've moved on from the game.

But Star Citizen...the grip it already has on my soul...no promises can be made.

I loved those. I did 'Level 27' a few days ago and it also made me laugh out loud. The Saga of OJ is another one that's very humorous and well done.
  • Options
    borneolborneol Member Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    In the MMO world longevity is determined by the quality of the end game, and here it is severely lacking in both PvE and PvP aspects. The foundry will keep some people entertained but to be honest it isn't anywhere close to what the original NWN had, and because this is an MMO it will always have limitations.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, though, eventually you hardcore players will leave the tunnel of darkness and realize that, hey, Neverwinter isn't a long living MMO. It has, honestly, a months worth of content, because after you get good gear, get level 60, and have played the Dungeons over and over, you'll realize it's missing a lot of fun.

Why are you so intent on convincing people that this game is dying? Is it psychiatric issues or astroturphing?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    borneol wrote: »
    In the MMO world longevity is determined by the quality of the end game, and here it is severely lacking in both PvE and PvP aspects. The foundry will keep some people entertained but to be honest it isn't anywhere close to what the original NWN had, and because this is an MMO it will always have limitations.

I agree, of course it has limitations for being an MMO, but it's not a heavyweight MMO, more in Medium to Light weight area.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mutharex wrote: »
    Why are you so intent on convincing people that this game is dying? Is it psychiatric issues or astroturphing?

I don't have to convince anyone the game is dying. I'm the Doomsayer, I'm here to tell the people of the apocalypse of this MMO
  • Options
    screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    The main issue with longevity of MMOs is the players attitudes, not the game itself. People are afraid of taking a long time to level, difficult content, and loot grind, but these are the things that keep games in business. It used to be that 6 months was a solid benchmark where gamers could handedly defeat new content and acquire all the gear they wanted out of it. Nowdays that timeframe is 2 weeks or less. In some games, new raids get beaten on the same day of release. The players who cant get what they want that quickly by playing for it, do it by paying for it instead.

It all has to do with the amount of time the devs can crank out good content -vs- how long it takes to handedly beat said content. Its much harder if not impossible to crank out a game that will keep people playing these days, becuse folks will complain if the game isnt tailored for their convenience.

I won't really speak to the longevity issue, as I would have no idea on that sort of thing and don't really care for MMO's, but I find in Neverwinter, they could probably stretch it out more (I'm sure they will add new content anyway). Coming from me it is a bit ironic, because I leveled at a furious pace in LOTRO trying to get to end game, as the whole fun for me is group content. I never made it there- was completely burned out on the Massively Singleplayer experience and just couldn't bear to log in anymore. This game is different though, as it has a nice way of incentivizing group play (although it does need work) as long as you don't miss out on important quest rewards, like bags. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I don't have to convince anyone the game is dying. I'm the Doomsayer, I'm here to tell the people of the apocalypse of this MMO

But why? So much zeal is... well unhealthy especially toward a game. And very unconvincing. Something you want to tell us? You will feel better, I swear
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    But why? So much zeal is... well unhealthy especially toward a game. And very unconvincing. Something you want to tell us? You will feel better, I swear

I really, really don't know what you're trying to do... Obviously you paid for the game, so you like it. If you want to play it be my guest, don't get mad when you get bored by summer/mid june. I warned you.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I really, really don't know what you're trying to do... Obviously you paid for the game, so you like it. If you want to play it be my guest, don't get mad when you get bored by summer/mid june. I warned you.

I am trying to understand why you pass your time writing posts over posts trying to 'warn' people that this won't live long. Sounds like you need to relax and take a walk in the sun, maybe go and have a beer at the pub. Well, anything that isn't computer related
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I've been playing Neverwinter since it opened on Open Beta and.. Currently at level 41, almost 42, I feel like this game falls short for me in MMO aspects.

Guild Wars, for reasons unknown, held me for 5+ years. Some of it was the PvP, the events, the quests were actually interesting with Missions and such (allowing people to follow a story line), farming rare items without dungeons or raids, you could run around killing things to get things better then green items.
    Despite the age of the original GW I have to say if they made an expansion I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

They screwed up with GW2 adding gear progression and all the other stuff from regular MMO's.

I got to max level in GW2 got another some of the way as well and I just found it boring.
    I'm not saying it's bad, but I don't think that Guild Wars is the best example when talking about longevity of MMOs.
    Well it kinda is, since they stopped making expansions they still had a pretty high playerbase for years.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I am trying to understand why you pass your time writing posts over posts trying to 'warn' people that this won't live long. Sounds like you need to relax and take a walk in the sun, maybe go and have a beer at the pub. Well, anything that isn't computer related

The only reason I'm actually on the forums right now is it's the last day of this semester before we begin reviews for our tests and such. We get a free day sort of, but are stuck here in class. Thanks for caring, though, I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The only reason I'm actually on the forums right now is it's the last day of this semester before we begin reviews for our tests and such. We get a free day sort of, but are stuck here in class. Thanks for caring, though, I really appreciate it.

Aaaaaah ok, boredom. Thanks, now it's all a bit clearer. You really scared me before, I thought you were some sort of lunatic...
  • Options
    screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I forgot to add, I have to agree with the OP about the Foundry though. It was one of the things that originally attracted me to the game, but it seems too limited to have any potential. For that kind of thing I would rather chip into the dozens of NWN player made modules I never got around to playing. The Aurora toolset was just so much better from what I've seen.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013

This game lacks most of that. There's, what, 2 PvP maps and 1 PvP mode. There's been a 2x AD weekend, but it still didn't feel great. There is hardly a main story quest to follow, so it doesn't feel like they really cared about the Story.. You can't farm unless you do dungeons or raids, in which you have to roll to get the item. Regular mobs hardly ever drop anything more than whites/greens.

It just doesn't feel right, I mean, it's a decent game, but I feel like it won't be alive (for me) for very long

Actually GW2 is nothing like that now. The open world events won't let you farm, they have a system in there called DR that cuts off your capability of getting items solo (the only way to make money), they have a single currency system in GW2 which is very very bad (because it can force new players to buy things with real money they couldn't normally get in game after reaching max level), and they are no longer dropping permanent open world content and it's very dungeon focused (the problem with that is you have to basically be in a group to do anything after you reach 80 when they told us they'd be the first mmo to offer a choice).

I farm all the time on this game and I'm level 30. I never have to be in a group and I get all kinds of drops whereas in GW2 I can't get anything at all to drop not even the T6 mats that most people get to drop all the time. This game doesn't have a lopsided (called RNG but really not) loot system that GW2 has whereas some people get the best drops all the time and some people get nothing all the time, that's not random btw that is stagnant drops. This game has three currencies which you can get for free without being held back. The economy for Zen won't pickup for this game until it's full launch and more people are playing (lots are waiting for open beta to be done) whereas the highly manipulated TP in GW2 is not helped by Anet, in fact they want inflation because it means new players and players suffering the loot nerf will have to buy gems for gold so they can keep their own gold farmer status (Anet is the gold farmer in this case). They have plenty of main story to follow along with player created content which means more PVE content then any other game out there nonstop with the same rewards you get in regular dungeons in the game.

So as you can see, GW2 is the filled with manipulations/lack of permanent constant content and filled with convolutions to keep people from easily playing in their game, while NWO doesn't have any limitations, has way more content, and a very much better economy even with the higher prices in the shop this game is loads better.

GW2 economy btw has inflated 4x that's 400% of the prices items were at launch or one week after they launched DR and their loot nerfs.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    maho4200 wrote: »
    Despite the age of the original GW I have to say if they made an expansion I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

They screwed up with GW2 adding gear progression and all the other stuff from regular MMO's.

I got to max level in GW2 got another some of the way as well and I just found it boring.

Exactly. I began playing Guild Wars right about when the game took off, a little bit before I found out about Factions. So I played the hell out of it on a Necromancer, beat the Lich, and then got Factions. Made an Assassin, did the same thing (on Factions, though) then started PvPing....

That goes on through Nightfall with my Dervish <3 and eventually end up in Eye of the North with my Sin with Chaos Gloves and than yeah. Long story short, almost 6 years on that game. Don't have it installed at this time, but if there was a new Expansion, I'd buy it.

Neverwinter would never add up to the Epicness that Guild Wars IS. It doesn't have worthy content, especially the rehashed looking maps and 2 maps of PvP with 1 mode
  • Options
    theenigma7theenigma7 Member Posts: 31
    edited May 2013

Its called having and expressing a point of view.

If party A thinks a product is great and raves about it, while party B thinks it is utter <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> but remains silent how are people looking for information about said product supposed to get a broad view of the opinions on it.

Stop crying and being a jerk because you dislike some ones opinion and want to shut them up.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I forgot to add, I have to agree with the OP about the Foundry though. It was one of the things that originally attracted me to the game, but it seems too limited to have any potential. For that kind of thing I would rather chip into the dozens of NWN player made modules I never got around to playing. The Aurora toolset was just so much better from what I've seen.

They are 2 very different kind of tools, Aurora was more of a world building tool where the Foundry is more a 'create your adventure' or 'your Module'. I found quite few foundry quests that were very well done btw
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Actually GW2 is nothing like that now. The open world events won't let you farm, they have a system in there called DR that cuts off your capability of getting items solo (the only way to make money), they have a single currency system in GW2 which is very very bad (because it can force new players to buy things with real money they couldn't normally get in game after reaching max level), and they are no longer dropping permanent open world content and it's very dungeon focused (the problem with that is you have to basically be in a group to do anything after you reach 80 when they told us they'd be the first mmo to offer a choice).

I farm all the time on this game and I'm level 30. I never have to be in a group and I get all kinds of drops whereas in GW2 I can't get anything at all to drop not even the T6 mats that most people get to drop all the time. This game doesn't have a lopsided (called RNG but really not) loot system that GW2 has whereas some people get the best drops all the time and some people get nothing all the time, that's not random btw that is stagnant drops. This game has three currencies which you can get for free without being held back. The economy for Zen won't pickup for this game until it's full launch and more people are playing (lots are waiting for open beta to be done) whereas the highly manipulated TP in GW2 is not helped by Anet, in fact they want inflation because it means new players and players suffering the loot nerf will have to buy gems for gold so they can keep their own gold farmer status (Anet is the gold farmer in this case). They have plenty of main story to follow along with player created content which means more PVE content then any other game out there nonstop with the same rewards you get in regular dungeons in the game.

So as you can see, GW2 is the filled with manipulations/lack of permanent constant content and filled with convolutions to keep people from easily playing in their game, while NWO doesn't have any limitations, has way more content, and a very much better economy even with the higher prices in the shop this game is loads better.

GW2 economy btw has inflated 4x that's 400% of the prices items were at launch or one week after they launched DR and their loot nerfs.

I never once played Guild Wars 2, I never even originally brought it up. They should have just made Expansions for GW1.
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    rictras wrote: »
    Make an actual constructive thread that isn't a poorly-disguised shill for Guild Wars, and we'll have a much better conversation.
    Pretty dense aren't you, he's looking at the scope of the game and compares it to some game he liked it the past.

Do you seriously think he's trying to lure people into buying a 7 year old game?
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    theenigma7 wrote: »
    Its called having and expressing a point of view.

If party A thinks a product is great and raves about it, while party B thinks it is utter <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> but remains silent how are people looking for information about said product supposed to get a broad view of the opinions on it.

Stop crying and being a jerk because you dislike some ones opinion and want to shut them up.

No he is not giving his opinion, he is trying to persuade others that this game is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and they have to leave otherwise.. well otherwise dunno, as it's all in his head. And yours apparently