test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How long with Neverwinter last?

jjb828jjb828 Member Posts: 340 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I've been playing Neverwinter since it opened on Open Beta and.. Currently at level 41, almost 42, I feel like this game falls short for me in MMO aspects.

Guild Wars, for reasons unknown, held me for 5+ years. Some of it was the PvP, the events, the quests were actually interesting with Missions and such (allowing people to follow a story line), farming rare items without dungeons or raids, you could run around killing things to get things better then green items.

This game lacks most of that. There's, what, 2 PvP maps and 1 PvP mode. There's been a 2x AD weekend, but it still didn't feel great. There is hardly a main story quest to follow, so it doesn't feel like they really cared about the Story.. You can't farm unless you do dungeons or raids, in which you have to roll to get the item. Regular mobs hardly ever drop anything more than whites/greens.

It just doesn't feel right, I mean, it's a decent game, but I feel like it won't be alive (for me) for very long
Check out the Neverwinter/ESO guild Rogue's Gallery! While you're at our forums, submit an application and join our glorious regime!
Post edited by jjb828 on

Comments

• Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Guild Wars must have been the most short-lived MMO for me. I was already max level at the middle of the storyline, and it really felt like there wasn't a lot much to do. The gameplay was fun, I just cleared Factions and then left it.

I'm not saying it's bad, but I don't think that Guild Wars is the best example when talking about longevity of MMOs.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    nemonusnemonus Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013
    I think the story in this game is actually pretty good. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about the main story, but all the little stories that involve the areas you go to throughout the game. It feels like an authentic DnD experience in that sense. The lore drops are very cool as well.
  • Options
    swoomustdienowswoomustdienow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The Foundry is what really interests me. The Planescape campaign so far has been far and away better than any main quest they've had so far, and Bill's Tavern had me laughing at my keyboard. I could see myself logging in now and then to try Foundry quests long after I've moved on from the game.

But Star Citizen...the grip it already has on my soul...no promises can be made.
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    With the Foundry, Future content and ultimately Forgotten Realms. This game wont be for everyone and with other big titles coming out and/or high end console games you will see some go and some never come back. With that being said if Guild Wars can still be going strong then I have no doubt at all this game will be around for years to come.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Guild Wars just didn't have the whole grinding thing. You actually needed to set up builds to be good, and it was actually fun if you had the skills.

Neverwinter hardly requires a build. Compared to Guild Wars 200+ Skills PER CLASS Neverwinter has, what, 20 skills per class? There's no skill building at all. 20% of your damage or anything is armor

Foundry even falls short, as it feels unfinished...
    Check out the Neverwinter/ESO guild Rogue's Gallery! While you're at our forums, submit an application and join our glorious regime!
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jjb828 wrote: »
    Guild Wars just didn't have the whole grinding thing. You actually needed to set up builds to be good, and it was actually fun if you had the skills.

Neverwinter hardly requires a build. Compared to Guild Wars 200+ Skills PER CLASS Neverwinter has, what, 20 skills per class? There's no skill building at all. 20% of your damage or anything is armor

So? I don't get this thread. What is its purpose? You like another game more? Ok. I repeat, "So?"
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm saying, I don't feel this game will hold up very well.

By level 60, half of the people just continuously run dungeons. Woohoo
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Well, it is a Beta. You're comparing this game with a completely released one, that has lots of expansions.

I played Guild Wars Factions, not the first. I was attracted to the Assasin/Ninja class and the Japanese setting. It was a different experience compared to other MMOs.

However, "lots of builds" isn't accurate. If I recall correctly, there were only 2 complete Assasin rotations that were useful, the others were either unfinished or broken.

Currently there are lots of ways of building characters, though not all work well for most situations. I believe that it will be adressed in time. During BW2-3 we couldn't even chose powers. Things are still subjected to change.

TR for instance works with 3 different builds. You can build him as a Burst/Assasin character, a sneaky Solo-DPS Striker or a hybrid between both.
    Characters:

• Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm saying, I don't feel this game will hold up very well.

By level 60, half of the people just continuously run dungeons. Woohoo

Ok. And? You have any suggestion? Or what?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »
    Well, it is a Beta. You're comparing this game with a completely released one, that has lots of expansions.

I played Guild Wars Factions, not the first. I was attracted to the Assasin/Ninja class and the Japanese setting. It was a different experience compared to other MMOs.

Currently there are lots of ways of building characters, though not all work well for most situations. I believe that it will be adressed in time. During BW2-3 we couldn't even chose powers. Things are still subjected to change.

TR for instance works with 3 different builds. You can build him as a Burst/Assasin character, a sneaky Solo-DPS Striker or a hybrid between both.

The question is: IS it actually in Open Beta, or is that an excuse? They already have a Pay-To-Win Market system set up, paying money for in game items to help in the game is a letdown and it feels... Unnatural. Good MMO's that were EXTREMELY successful did not have an aspect like this; Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, and RuneScape all have no Pay to Win, on some there's a Pay, but not for in game items.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

GW2 felt very grind-y to me, and just generally slow and uninspired. I was excited for it, bought a collector's edition and stopped playing within the first week. It was pretty much a WoW clone, minus the monthly subscription fee (which is no criterion for me since I don't mind paying for my entertainment). The classes I tried felt tedious, the quests seemed disconnected. It falls in the same "huge disappointment" category as Diablo 3, for me.

Obviously, you enjoyed it, but this just illustrates that people have different preferences and that because someone doesn't like something it does not mean that a game "falls short". At least with Neverwinter you can try out the game before you pay anything (and you don't even have to pay anything later, either).

As for the number of skills: GW2 has cookie cutter builds. The result is the same. Games with lots of skills usually have a lot of useless skills or skills that have very minor effects. It's just bloat, not a sign of quality.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mutharex wrote: »
    Ok. And? You have any suggestion? Or what?

I stated some things that are wrong in the OP. Obviously suggestions would be based around those.

Read or use your mind before mindlessly replying.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    GW2 felt very grind-y to me, and just generally slow and uninspired. I was excited for it, bought a collector's edition and stopped playing within the first week. It was pretty much a WoW clone, minus the monthly subscription fee (which is no criterion for me since I don't mind paying for my entertainment). The classes I tried felt tedious, the quests seemed disconnected. It falls in the same "huge disappointment" category as Diablo 3, for me.

Obviously, you enjoyed it, but this just illustrates that people have different preferences and that because someone doesn't like something it does not mean that a game "falls short". At least with Neverwinter you can try out the game before you pay anything (and you don't even have to pay anything later, either).

As for the number of skills: GW2 has cookie cutter builds. The result is the same. Games with lots of skills usually have a lot of useless skills or skills that have very minor effects. It's just bloat, not a sign of quality.

By the way, I mean Guild Wars THE ORIGINAL. Not 2. Two blows. Guild Wars 1 had good skills, atleast. And it had good quality.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I stated some things that are wrong in the OP. Obviously suggestions would be based around those.

Read or use your mind before mindlessly replying.

Weird because it sounded like a mindless whine with no constructive content whatsoever.......
  • Options
    rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I found Guild Wars very dull. I quit in less than two weeks.

With Neverwinter, for the first time in months I am looking forward to logging into an mmo.
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mutharex wrote: »
    Weird because it sounded like a mindless whine with no constructive content whatsoever.......

Sounds like Neverwinter.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    rictras wrote: »
    I found Guild Wars very dull. I quit in less than two weeks.

With Neverwinter, for the first time in months I am looking forward to logging into an mmo.

I really do hope you all know i'm talking about Guild Wars 1, there was a game before Guild Wars 2 that was much better.

But of course you look forward to it, you paid and are on their forum, so like many you will defend it to the death and fight me on anything
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    By the way, I mean Guild Wars THE ORIGINAL. Not 2. Two blows. Guild Wars 1 had good skills, atleast. And it had good quality.

I vaguely remember playing GW1 for about five hours when it came out, but I think that was around the time when I was obsessed with WoW and no other game, no matter how potentially good, could manage to get my interest. (WoW had only been out for a couple months in Europe.) That was awful timing on their end.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I really do hope you all know i'm talking about Guild Wars 1, there was a game before Guild Wars 2 that was much better.

So am I.
    But of course you look forward to it, you paid and are on their forum, so like many you will defend it to the death and fight me on anything

Make an actual constructive thread that isn't a poorly-disguised shill for Guild Wars, and we'll have a much better conversation.
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    I vaguely remember playing GW1 for about five hours when it came out, but I think that was around the time when I was obsessed with WoW and no other game, no matter how potentially good, could manage to get my interest. (WoW had only been out for a couple months in Europe.) That was awful timing on their end.

That happened to a lot of people, actually. For a lot of games. I gave up playing normal games for a long time on my Xbox, like Fallout, when I was into Guild Wars.

Guild Wars was great. The beginning area was fun, but the small area that took about 5 hours to get out of was a bore, though. Other than that, killing the Lich at the end was fun
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The question is: IS it actually in Open Beta, or is that an excuse? They already have a Pay-To-Win Market system set up, paying money for in game items to help in the game is a letdown and it feels... Unnatural. Good MMO's that were EXTREMELY successful did not have an aspect like this; Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, and RuneScape all have no Pay to Win, on some there's a Pay, but not for in game items.

I have a different memory of Runescape.

WoW has gold farmers and... grinding ad nauseam. Also, a new WoW player must pay at least 100 $ upfront to get a chance of playing the game to it's full content: basic game + expansions + prepaid month fees. Which is actually worse because it's an upfront investment and leaves you no chance to check if you actually will enjoy the content.

Same with GW2. I thank the gods that I didn't join the hype surrounding that game. A friend of mine bragged about how it was the best game of the year, then he quit after one week. The same as it's predecessor: no sense of progression, everything is too static. There's no point of doing anything because even if you want to PvP you start at max level and fully equipped.

You can't buy gear from the Zen Store, and most of its items are either convenience choices that aren't required to beat the game or cosmetics. If you think that spending 50 bucks on Zen to trade them for AD is Pay to Win, you might as well don't bother yourself with playing the game because there's no point: you're spoiling the experience for you, and only you... Doesn't affect other people in truth. You don't swallow your food without savoring it first, right?
    Characters:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    rictras wrote: »
    Make an actual constructive thread that isn't a poorly-disguised shill for Guild Wars, and we'll have a much better conversation.

I don't even play Guild Wars anymore, also it's not only about that. It lacks things that other MMO's do well in, like PvP, hunting for items WITHOUT dungeons, a fun map, some different enemies and not always a group of 4 guys. Guild Wars was just a good example of a good MMO
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    For shorters, I don't get why people have this weird anxiety of knowning they can buy all their gear instead of grinding it. Some will do it? Yes. Do they "win" for doing so? What's you definition of winning? Clearing the game in 3 days? Pwning in an unbalanced PvP system where the CW demolishes everyone?
    Characters:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I have a different memory of Runescape.

WoW has gold farmers and... grinding ad nauseam. Also, a new WoW player must pay at least 100 $ upfront to get a chance of playing the game to it's full content: basic game + expansions + prepaid month fees. Which is actually worse because it's an upfront investment and leaves you no chance to check if you actually will enjoy the content.

Same with GW2. I thank the gods that I didn't join the hype surrounding that game. A friend of mine bragged about how it was the best game of the year, then he quit after one week. The same as it's predecessor: no sense of progression, everything is too static. There's no point of doing anything because even if you want to PvP you start at max level and fully equipped.

You can't buy gear from the Zen Store, and most of its items are either convenience choices that aren't required to beat the game or cosmetics. If you think that spending 50 bucks on Zen to trade them for AD is Pay to Win, you might as well don't bother yourself with playing the game because there's no point: you're spoiling the experience for you, and only you... Doesn't affect other people in truth. You don't swallow your food without savoring it first, right?

NEVERWINTER HAS GOLD FARMERS! AND IT HAS GRINDING. ALL IT IS, IS ONE BIG GRIND. Have you not gotten the spam? TWO WEEKS IN and GOLD FARMERS. I never said WoW was cheap or anything, it has good MMO mechanics, like Guild Wars. It's PvP is awesome, bar none with Neverwinter. Neverwinter has lame PvP, and it seems like a task to do anything anymore. The hype for Neverwinter is just as bad, as it's not as fun as people make it out to be. Also, there was low level PvP in Guild Wars, if you actually played the game psat 5 hours of content ;)

Zen store is P2W. You buy Zen, and can sell it for AD, or buy something which you could turn around in sell, in turn buying gear with said money. It's basically Pay to Win, just with a different look.

Maybe to you it's spoiling the experience, to some the ONLY goal is to be the best, with the best.
  • Options
    kurtz0619kurtz0619 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    I would like to point out STO is still up and running strong. Many thought it would fall into the mists of oblivion long ago. There are many who are complaining about this game for various reasons, but there are far more who like where this game is going and see its potential. I don't really feel there was any point to this thread. Things will level out in a few months, the people who are unhappy will leave and we will have a good community. Thats the same progression we had in STO. Haters gonna hate ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    For shorters, I don't get why people have this weird anxiety of knowning they can buy all their gear instead of grinding it. Some will do it? Yes. Do they "win" for doing so? What's you definition of winning? Clearing the game in 3 days? Pwning in an unbalanced PvP system where the CW demolishes everyone?

Winning on an MMO is having the best achievable goal, completing whatever story the MMO has, and completing most of the quests. Being the Max level.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    NEVERWINTER HAS GOLD FARMERS! AND IT HAS GRINDING. ALL IT IS, IS ONE BIG GRIND. Have you not gotten the spam? TWO WEEKS IN and GOLD FARMERS. I never said WoW was cheap or anything, it has good MMO mechanics, like Guild Wars. It's PvP is awesome, bar none with Neverwinter. Neverwinter has lame PvP, and it seems like a task to do anything anymore. The hype for Neverwinter is just as bad, as it's not as fun as people make it out to be. Also, there was low level PvP in Guild Wars, if you actually played the game psat 5 hours of content ;)

Zen store is P2W. You buy Zen, and can sell it for AD, or buy something which you could turn around in sell, in turn buying gear with said money. It's basically Pay to Win, just with a different look.

Maybe to you it's spoiling the experience, to some the ONLY goal is to be the best, with the best.

If you read my first post, I told you that I cleared GW Faction's storyline.

P2W by it's definition is to buy with real life cash an advantage no one can get by grinding and sets you apart from everyone: which doesn't happen here. I know many cases of people who haven't spent a dime, have a Phoera and vanity items, as well as full Tier 2 sets. They're just better at using the AH then me, have crafted more and spend more time playing.

And yes, this game has gold farmers. What I meant is that in every game, people can spend money to get gear or faster to content. At least Neverwinter gives you the option of using the cash-shop by buying Zen from other players. You can't say that from other games.

My goal is to enjoy the road, the storyline and be able to RP after with my character. I'm an old-school D&D player and for me it's about the epicness of the experience and developing a sense of bonding with the avatar I play. I wouldn't care less if a 14 year old teenager wants to feel good about herself by smacking other people's avatars with 14k damage strikes. I have League of Legends for those ego-stroke moments, it offers a much better experience than Neverwinter in this aspect.

Maybe you're trying to make this game your own Guild Wars 1, meaning the problem isn't Neverwinter, but your own expectations of what you think this game should be.
    Characters:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Winning on an MMO is having the best achievable goal, completing whatever story the MMO has, and completing most of the quests. Being the Max level.

And whoever wins first gets a special mention? A prize? A reward?

You can play God of War in Easy Mode or Hell (maybe it's called different the max dificulty, I don't recall). Do you think the value of "winning", in your terms, has the same value for players here? In the end, both ends get what they want - clearing the content. The only difference is achieved by comparison, and that's merely your ego talking.
    Characters:

• Options
    pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    post will not post all information properly after 4 edits. baseline is that you can be playing all wow content for $64 including your first month
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    nemonusnemonus Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like Neverwinter.

Oh, you rascal. :mad: