test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

60 CW pvp tips / tricks. PRIDE- Dragon

Comments

• Options
    harming18harming18 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited May 2013
    Sticky request!

Thanks man. Yea that would be awesome. The more people I can help here the better.
  • Options
    honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    harming18 wrote: »
    Absolutley agree with you there. A good GF / GWF are our worst enemy. You have to keep abnormal range from these guys at all times. Once they start their chain on you your pretty much dead. I suggest at least 2 telly lengths away, if you run out of room turn and run for a potion or a teammate. That shield bash knockdown has about 2/3 the range of our encounters, and it sets off their chain.

Regarding Icy Rays (referenced in what you replied to) - Is it me or does this ability hit all over the map? I swear sometimes it'll hit for like 2.5k on a single target, then crit another for 13k.
  • Options
    harming18harming18 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited May 2013
    This is due to 2 things:
    1- Your stacks of Ray of Enfeble. Each stack will nearly double your damage with ice rays. Its almost usless to use this w/o enfeeble up unless your rooting a melee class with it.
    2- Combat advantage also nearly doubles the damage, which is why I use it while the enemy is still frozen from chillstrike in my rotation.

On its own w/o the boosts its weak, but with the right setup its brutal.
    Hope That answered your question man.
  • Options
    aaronjacob131aaronjacob131 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A lil offtopic but harming you mentioned ranger when its released? Can u confirm this and also when is the release I figured it would be a ranged class since they are lacking ranged, i play a hunter in wow and absolutly love them cant wait to try one out here.
  • Options
    aaronjacob131aaronjacob131 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Also really fun combo is force choke then force push (repell) but not in that order, try this ray,choke,ray,repell,conduit, kite and let the dots do their job by the time they get back to you, if there melee, ur encounters should be back. CW's are so fun.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    A lil offtopic but harming you mentioned ranger when its released? Can u confirm this and also when is the release I figured it would be a ranged class since they are lacking ranged, i play a hunter in wow and absolutly love them cant wait to try one out here.

There's no "official" word on the ranger release, but weve been getting hints that it will either be a ranger or a warlock class. No exact date for them either sadly. I also have always favored the Bow wielding class in nearly every MMO's pvp system.

On your question about repel. with my setup there's no need for dots, I simply burst anyone down in one combo. If you flip through the guide I explain how.
  • Options
    edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's "lose" not "loose" btw.
  • Options
    zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been following this thread as I leveled my wiz to 60 through pvp. Thanks for the info.

I do agree ice rays is better, but I still use avalanche because that thing is awesome! I've been able to get some decent CC chains with it when timed right.

I expected people to be a lot more tough to kill at 60, but surprisingly they still melted incredibly quick under double enfeeble. It is still kind of odd being near death and then robbing them of a kill with an attack chain.

Oddly, I expected a lot more clerics to understand how strong their cleanse is against CWs, but only really had one use it effectively and I think he did it without realizing its strength.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stormysgstormysg Member Posts: 93
    edited May 2013
    how do i change my FOV?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    edge1986 wrote: »
    It's "lose" not "loose" btw.

Thanks Professor.
    Oh and well... my dog took a dump on my homework..... soooo youll probably wana get it off your desk asap.:o
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So recently ive been running into GF's using the shadow thing that makes them invincible for a certain amount of time.
    One this completely ruins and form off cc/ damage output.
    Next theyre hitting upwards of 15k with their shield from block. Ive never seen this damage from the before the last 2-3 days.
    Also full teams abusing that invincible items are just insane. I haven't seen anything this stupid in pvp since Rifts 1.1 warden healing spec.
    Sit heal through 9 dps, hop and waterjet everything to death. Win.
    That item has to go in pvp, they can pop it to break any kind of combo chain at all, clerics can pop it to full heal, gf's can pop it to get to any target, rogues can use it as a 2nd invincible, cw's can pop this to get away from anything. Anyone without it, well your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    I wont be pvping for awhile. Thing get dumber in this game every day. Wonderfull system flushed right down the toilet.
  • Options
    wtfsoindiewtfsoindie Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    Can not stand Ice Rays, it's the clunkiest ability in my opinion. I prefer Steal Time for pvp because when you know a rogue is around you can just pop it, it also has a very high rate of proccing Eye of the Storm.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If this was mentioned earlier in the thread, I apologize but you can see how much block a GF has left. There's a small grey bar underneath their health. That's their block meter. So you can tell exactly when they're out of block.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    fornicus1fornicus1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stormysg wrote: »
    how do i change my FOV?

I was wondering this too, I looked around in all the options and couldn't find it.
  • Options
    nix80nix80 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fornicus1 wrote: »
    I was wondering this too, I looked around in all the options and couldn't find it.

/gfxSetDefaultFOV 75

default is 55
  • Options
    y02uy02u Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What about the best race for PVP CW?

Human (+3% defense, extra Heroic Feats and +2 any Ability score)
    Elf (+1% crit, -10% slow and +2 Int)
    Halfling (+3% Deflect, +2 Cha or Const and -10% ANY crowd control)
    Tiefling (+2 Cha & Int, +5% dmg targets below half health)

Obviously for PVE the best choice is Tiefling or Human but for PVP? Maybe Halfling? I know they are awful but -10% to any CC seems very sweet... Discuss!
  • Options
    mjytreszmjytresz Member Posts: 500 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wtfsoindie wrote: »
    Can not stand Ice Rays, it's the clunkiest ability in my opinion. I prefer Steal Time for pvp because when you know a rogue is around you can just pop it, it also has a very high rate of proccing Eye of the Storm.

I had this mindset for a while until I started heavily using it.
    I thought about Steal Time and SotEA and I found general problems with both of them. SotEA has clunky aiming and it takes time to actually get the skill going. Steal Time definitely has its uses but the range sorta kills it, at least for me. I definitely find some situations where the skill is invaluable.

Icy Rays has the benefit of being impossible to dodge, not to mention it's extra CC. At least for my general rotation, it makes it nearly impossible to dodge Ice Knife after Icy Rays. Or to keep annoying opponents at bay while you work on someone more important.
    Broken mechanics, broken class designs, lack of actual content, and over zealous, bronze-age moderation?

Go Cryptic!
    PS - I quit.
  • Options
    serpentussserpentuss Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    mjytresz wrote: »
    I had this mindset for a while until I started heavily using it.
    I thought about Steal Time and SotEA and I found general problems with both of them. SotEA has clunky aiming and it takes time to actually get the skill going. Steal Time definitely has its uses but the range sorta kills it, at least for me. I definitely find some situations where the skill is invaluable.

Icy Rays has the benefit of being impossible to dodge, not to mention it's extra CC. At least for my general rotation, it makes it nearly impossible to dodge Ice Knife after Icy Rays. Or to keep annoying opponents at bay while you work on someone more important.

Yes but you die a lot in 1 on 1 with stealth rogues :)
  • Options
    jpnolejpnole Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    y02u wrote: »
    What about the best race for PVP CW?

Human (+3% defense, extra Heroic Feats and +2 any Ability score)
    Elf (+1% crit, -10% slow and +2 Int)
    Halfling (+3% Deflect, +2 Cha or Const and -10% ANY crowd control)
    Tiefling (+2 Cha & Int, +5% dmg targets below half health)

Obviously for PVE the best choice is Tiefling or Human but for PVP? Maybe Halfling? I know they are awful but -10% to any CC seems very sweet... Discuss!

First of all thanks to the OP for this thread.

As to your race question, I originally chose an Elf because they are always the traditional magic user in these fantasy mmos. I was all focused on Int thinking I would maximize damage. I wasn't giving much thought to crits and my starting Cha score of 13. If I had to do it again, I'd have gone for either Human or Tiefling and taken the best combo of Cha, Int, Con and Wis in that order. Perhaps even Cha, Con, Wis and Int as I'm not convinced of the benefit of high Int at a measily 1% per point. I am sure as hell not going to level another CW to 60 so I'll have to live with my 26 Int 15 Wis and 19 Cha. To make up for the average Cha starting score, I loaded up on "lethal" gear for the crits during leveling. Maybe they will offer a race change token. If so I would part with my cash in an instant!
  • Options
    y02uy02u Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jpnole wrote: »
    First of all thanks to the OP for this thread.

As to your race question, I originally chose an Elf because they are always the traditional magic user in these fantasy mmos. I was all focused on Int thinking I would maximize damage. I wasn't giving much thought to crits and my starting Cha score of 13. If I had to do it again, I'd have gone for either Human or Tiefling and taken the best combo of Cha, Int, Con and Wis in that order. Perhaps even Cha, Con, Wis and Int as I'm not convinced of the benefit of high Int at a measily 1% per point. I am sure as hell not going to level another CW to 60 so I'll have to live with my 26 Int 15 Wis and 19 Cha. To make up for the average Cha starting score, I loaded up on "lethal" gear for the crits during leveling. Maybe they will offer a race change token. If so I would part with my cash in an instant!

That was another of my questions, in PVE you want to optimize every point in more dps, but in PVP you also want more survivability, so maybe it's better to invest points in Con?
  • Options
    jpnolejpnole Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    y02u wrote: »
    That was another of my questions, in PVE you want to optimize every point in more dps, but in PVP you also want more survivability, so maybe it's better to invest points in Con?

My thinking was that, as a pure PVP CW, I would rather have the starting roll of 15 Int 14 Cha and 12 Con. I wouldn't put any of the assignable points in Con. Instead I would rely on the extra 2 points at 30 and 60 to bring it to 14 for the 8% HP bonus. Dammit... now you got me thinking of rerolling....
  • Options
    geaden007geaden007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So recently ive been running into GF's using the shadow thing that makes them invincible for a certain amount of time.
    One this completely ruins and form off cc/ damage output.
    Next theyre hitting upwards of 15k with their shield from block. Ive never seen this damage from the before the last 2-3 days.
    Also full teams abusing that invincible items are just insane. I haven't seen anything this stupid in pvp since Rifts 1.1 warden healing spec.
    Sit heal through 9 dps, hop and waterjet everything to death. Win.
    That item has to go in pvp, they can pop it to break any kind of combo chain at all, clerics can pop it to full heal, gf's can pop it to get to any target, rogues can use it as a 2nd invincible, cw's can pop this to get away from anything. Anyone without it, well your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    I wont be pvping for awhile. Thing get dumber in this game every day. Wonderfull system flushed right down the toilet.

Had not seen this happen until yesterday and today. What is the item called, and what type of item is it? Because, yeah it's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, at first I wasn't sure, but then I watched as I choked a tr and just as he got in the air he was back down with the red aura and chill strike nor icy rays was affecting. During the match there didn't seem to be anything I could do to keep em cc'd. Unless they have multiple spells that get them out of cc that I don't know of.

And yes, Ice Knife soundbite needs to be shortened, waay too easy to dodge. (Hear the ting!ting! = Dodge!!) But to counter, you just have to add a cc before you use it, oh wait, they get out of it! =P
  • Options
    honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    geaden007 wrote: »
    Had not seen this happen until yesterday and today. What is the item called, and what type of item is it? Because, yeah it's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, at first I wasn't sure, but then I watched as I choked a tr and just as he got in the air he was back down with the red aura and chill strike nor icy rays was affecting. During the match there didn't seem to be anything I could do to keep em cc'd. Unless they have multiple spells that get them out of cc that I don't know of.

And yes, Ice Knife soundbite needs to be shortened, waay too easy to dodge. (Hear the ting!ting! = Dodge!!) But to counter, you just have to add a cc before you use it, oh wait, they get out of it! =P

Soulforged armor enchantment I believe it is, giving up to 4 seconds of immunity at low health once per minute.

Also totally agreed vs Ice Knife - especially when you compare it to the undodgeable rogue version.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Officially Done With neverwinter.
    Many reasons that are obvious and don't need to be listed.
    Kinda regret the $ dump but it was my own choice to do so. No Chargebacks or anything like that.
    Was a fun game for a few days. Was just hopeing for.. well.. more.
    Good Luck everyone. Feel free to keep posting CW pvp help on this forum.
    See you all in ESO. Eventually . lol
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Checked in on the updates. Coming to CW:
    Combat

Control Wizard
    Arcane Singularity now displays the correct icon in character creation.
    Chill stacks are now removed when Freeze is broken, instead of when it is applied.
    Chill may now stack on control-immune NPCs, but does not snare or freeze them.
    Chilling Cloud: The first two hits of the combo now refresh Chill stacks.
    Conduit of Ice: The primary effect of this power is now considered a DoT for damage calculation.
    Entangling Force: This power is now considered a DoT for damage calculation.
    Ray of Enfeeblement: This power is now considered a DoT for damage calculation.
    Ray of Enfeeblement: The benefits from ranking up this power have been decreased.
    Ray of Enfeeblement: The debuff applied by this power is now less powerful.
    Ray of Enfeeblement: The Spell Mastery version of the debuff now displays stacks on the target.
    Ray of Enfeeblement: Two Control Wizards can no longer apply two separate stacks of the debuff on a single target if one uses the Spell Mastery version and one does not. The DoT is still applied by each Wizard individually, however.
    Repel: The tooltip now correctly states that Repel briefly stuns its target(s).
    Shard of the Endless Avalanche: The Shard can no longer be destroyed by certain attacks.
    Shard of the Endless Avalanche: This power now consistently deals Arcane damage.
    Shard of the Endless Avalanche: The rank-up text of this power no longer incorrectly states that its cooldown is reduced by 5 seconds per rank.
    Shard of the Endless Avalanche: Queuing another power while casting no longer puts the power on cooldown without creating the Shard.
    Steal Time: The Movement buff granted by this power no longer stacks with other Movement buffs.
    Steal Time: This power now grants one Arcane Mastery stack per cast, regardless of the number of enemies hit.
    Storm Pillar: The damage radius of the normal cast has been slightly increased.
    Storm Pillar: The damage dealt by the summoned pillar has been slightly reduced.
    Storm Pillar: Ranking up this power now increases the time the summoned pillar lasts.
    Sudden Storm: This power no longer deals 10 Physical damage in addition to normal damage.
    Sudden Storm: The DoT now deals more damage.
    Sudden Storm: The Spell Mastery version of this power is now considered a DoT for damage calculation.
    Feat: Chaos Magic: Chaotic Growth now heals for less, but affects maximum health rather than current health.
    Feat: Destructive Wizardry: This power now requires Storm Pillar to be charged at least halfway to activate.
    Feat: Masterful Arcane Theft: The damage bonus from this feat has been reduced.
    Feat: Prestidigitation: This feat now also increases movement speed.
    Feat: Reaper's Touch: This feat's effectiveness has been reduced.
    Feat: Snap Freeze: This feat no longer increases the damage of Lightning-based powers. It now correctly only affects Cold powers.

You can go ahead and delete this entire form now, it will no longer be usefull. Seems that the ray nerf was put in place to shut down CW pvp. Renegade builds took a massive hit overall. I see this as forcing CW's to do what they probably intended them to do. Annoy people with ignorable damage and more slows/ cc. Fills its pve roll, useless and boring for pvp.
    Got my hopes up...
  • Options
    crystal892fcrystal892f Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Soulforged armor enchantment I believe it is, giving up to 4 seconds of immunity at low health once per minute.

Soulforged only activates when health <= 25%. There seems to be another item that makes you CC immune, useable with a quite short cooldown (under 1 minute). It's not immune to damage, but that's irrelevant, since as a CW without the ability to apply CC you're done 1on1.

Fought a TR yesterday. I didn't even damage him. Stealthed throwing knives at me, when out of stealth pop this CC immune item and finish me off. Since CC immune after stealth, I couldn't even begin my damage rotation, while he happily disables me with HIS CC. And without CC - especially against a single target strong class like TR's - you can type "/killme" in the console immediately.

So this mysterious item + Soulforged = automatic 1on1 win. Even ONE of these items on a player makes it nearly impossible as a player WITHOUT these to stand a chance.
    Ridiculous.

I really like the combat system in this game, but it was naive to think that actual SKILL would decide the outcome of a 1on1.
    Gear to win.

I'm fine with "gear to win" in PvE, but PvP? Come on. Some items simply shouldn't be usable in PvP.
  • Options
    defleshed4defleshed4 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Checked in on the updates. Coming to CW:
    Combat

Control Wizard
    Arcane Singularity now displays the correct icon in character creation.
    Chill stacks are now removed when Freeze is broken, instead of when it is applied.
    Chill may now stack on control-immune NPCs, but does not snare or freeze them.
    Chilling Cloud: The first two hits of the combo now refresh Chill stacks.
    Conduit of Ice: The primary effect of this power is now considered a DoT for damage calculation.
    Entangling Force: This power is now considered a DoT for damage calculation.
    Ray of Enfeeblement: This power is now considered a DoT for damage calculation.
    Ray of Enfeeblement: The benefits from ranking up this power have been decreased.
    Ray of Enfeeblement: The debuff applied by this power is now less powerful.
    Ray of Enfeeblement: The Spell Mastery version of the debuff now displays stacks on the target.
    Ray of Enfeeblement: Two Control Wizards can no longer apply two separate stacks of the debuff on a single target if one uses the Spell Mastery version and one does not. The DoT is still applied by each Wizard individually, however.
    Repel: The tooltip now correctly states that Repel briefly stuns its target(s).
    Shard of the Endless Avalanche: The Shard can no longer be destroyed by certain attacks.
    Shard of the Endless Avalanche: This power now consistently deals Arcane damage.
    Shard of the Endless Avalanche: The rank-up text of this power no longer incorrectly states that its cooldown is reduced by 5 seconds per rank.
    Shard of the Endless Avalanche: Queuing another power while casting no longer puts the power on cooldown without creating the Shard.
    Steal Time: The Movement buff granted by this power no longer stacks with other Movement buffs.
    Steal Time: This power now grants one Arcane Mastery stack per cast, regardless of the number of enemies hit.
    Storm Pillar: The damage radius of the normal cast has been slightly increased.
    Storm Pillar: The damage dealt by the summoned pillar has been slightly reduced.
    Storm Pillar: Ranking up this power now increases the time the summoned pillar lasts.
    Sudden Storm: This power no longer deals 10 Physical damage in addition to normal damage.
    Sudden Storm: The DoT now deals more damage.
    Sudden Storm: The Spell Mastery version of this power is now considered a DoT for damage calculation.
    Feat: Chaos Magic: Chaotic Growth now heals for less, but affects maximum health rather than current health.
    Feat: Destructive Wizardry: This power now requires Storm Pillar to be charged at least halfway to activate.
    Feat: Masterful Arcane Theft: The damage bonus from this feat has been reduced.
    Feat: Prestidigitation: This feat now also increases movement speed.
    Feat: Reaper's Touch: This feat's effectiveness has been reduced.
    Feat: Snap Freeze: This feat no longer increases the damage of Lightning-based powers. It now correctly only affects Cold powers.

You can go ahead and delete this entire form now, it will no longer be usefull. Seems that the ray nerf was put in place to shut down CW pvp. Renegade builds took a massive hit overall. I see this as forcing CW's to do what they probably intended them to do. Annoy people with ignorable damage and more slows/ cc. Fills its pve roll, useless and boring for pvp.
    Got my hopes up...

when is this coming into effect i havnt seen this post
  • Options
    neoravennneoravenn Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Im using full pvp set with bought t2 rings "offense slots" and t2 belt "defense slot". Also forgot to add in, if you can afford it, Thunderhead Enchant on your armor is a big advantage in pvp also. Give a nice stun on nearly every rogue "because ever hits a crit"

where can i get the t2 rings and t2 belt? thanks in advance
  • Options
    therouterninjatherouterninja Member Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Is it possible CON might be better than CHA, given that BIS is probably 7 tenebrous enchantments? Also, I don't see many builds that stack toughness to 9%, but this seems incredibly useful.

Just doing some simple math, at 24k hp, 9% is 2160 *.21 = 453.6 extra damage if all 7 proc each 5 seconds, which is almost guaranteed with a plaguefire enchantment, not to mention the added survival.
    Beholder MOPP4

60 GF(14.5GS) Cersei
    60 CW(12.4GS) Shadis
    60 TR(12.2GS) Dijkstra
    60 GWF(12.2GS) Winnowill
    45 DC(WIP) Daenerys
  • Options
    therouterninjatherouterninja Member Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Soulforged only activates when health <= 25%. There seems to be another item that makes you CC immune, useable with a quite short cooldown (under 1 minute). It's not immune to damage, but that's irrelevant, since as a CW without the ability to apply CC you're done 1on1.

Fought a TR yesterday. I didn't even damage him. Stealthed throwing knives at me, when out of stealth pop this CC immune item and finish me off. Since CC immune after stealth, I couldn't even begin my damage rotation, while he happily disables me with HIS CC. And without CC - especially against a single target strong class like TR's - you can type "/killme" in the console immediately.

So this mysterious item + Soulforged = automatic 1on1 win. Even ONE of these items on a player makes it nearly impossible as a player WITHOUT these to stand a chance.
    Ridiculous.

I really like the combat system in this game, but it was naive to think that actual SKILL would decide the outcome of a 1on1.
    Gear to win.

I'm fine with "gear to win" in PvE, but PvP? Come on. Some items simply shouldn't be usable in PvP.

I have a fully geared 60TR, and let me tell you, this isn't even the scariest build out there. There are tons of people using the "INT permastealth build." Impact shot is way better than impossible to catch given you can often hit 30k in damage while you're perma-stunned anyways.

If you see someone with soulforge in a 1v1, do not waste your abilities. If you can knock them back and kite them until it wears off, that's ideal, which should be fairly simple seeing as how you're a wiz. Most people slot the lesser, seeing as how it's only ~100k on the AH... this only lasts about 2 seconds. Problem is everyone goes nuts on people when they see their health drop so low, and usually try to waste all their burst. Resist this urge, and you'll be fine.
    Beholder MOPP4

60 GF(14.5GS) Cersei
    60 CW(12.4GS) Shadis
    60 TR(12.2GS) Dijkstra
    60 GWF(12.2GS) Winnowill
    45 DC(WIP) Daenerys