test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

60 CW pvp tips / tricks. PRIDE- Dragon

Comments

• Options
    harming18harming18 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited May 2013
    Current State of Play
    Hey guys.
    I wont be doing any udates or play until we get some new classes / paragon paths/ or pvp content.
    I know its early and these things will come with time, but I have been 60 since day 1 of the 5 day early release for Founders running the same 2 pvp arenas over and over. So you can see why I am a little bored.
    Im NOT abandoning the game at all, just waiting it out. Ill check in on this forum and answer any questions you guys have.
    Have Fun =)
    * Also ill be bouncing between Rift, WoW, LoL, and DAoC in the meantime. If anyone wants to pvp with me on any of those post in here and ill get you my info.
    Thanks Again PRIDE@harming18
  • Options
    trueghettojesustrueghettojesus Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Steal Time - Ninja OP skill.

Tricks with steal time

1) it gains arcane stacks v.fast before hitting targets. Thats 5 stacks yes 5! from 1 target. Making your ray and grip very damaging and last longer. And enhancing its own damage.

2) can be channelled in the air. That's right. On the non castle map you can drop in on 2 cast it in air land and stun anyone holding it. On the castle map there#s a few ledges where you can jump tele onto people. Of course do not go rambo 1v5 without backup. But it's great against 1-3 people specially when there's only 1 cw to gib with your rotation once you land.

3) is an awesome stun for chain cc imediately after grip/knife/ice strike.

4) destroys single rogues.

5) Gains daily like a don. Along with shield there's no other skills that gain so much action points for CW.

How to not use it.

1) waste your spell mastery. This isn't a dungeon you need 2x ray for the burst. The movespeed is nice but 1 enemy CW makes that a pointless bonus.

2) Waste it on upclose GWF/GF with stun/prone up.

3) waste it on CW who has grip ready. It'll cancel your casting with ease if he see's you coming. Other CW CC's come out too slow and aren't instant so they can't stop you on reaction. If you trade blows steal time is longer duration then anything other then grip + avalance(the ball).

I like running a Spell Mastery Ray of enfeeble. Grip with ice strike or conduit. And steal time as 4th. If enemy team has 3-4 CW I might swap it for shield or conduit. If I'm against full melee team or cleric/gf heavy team I bring out avalanche. Sometimes even Ray/grip/Ava/Steal.

The other OP skill. Can easily prone somebody twice or a full team. It can scare off the enemy. Well anyone with a clue wont stand next to a shaking boulder of prone. It's situational yes. But with grip/(if cqc steal time/)ray/ball/ray/toss it's possible to work with it. And merely pushing the ball counts as a proc for both nightmare wizardy and eye of the storm. That's right without the ball hitting them. And ball at 90 feet range with grip 80 feet and toss/ice strike/tele/toss is nice cc. ice knife and all other decent dailies work well with it. And it's nice aoe prone can even setup for that annoying paragon daily(I forget the name but the one that makes you cc immune/damage resistant and prones in aoe).

I'm also surprised your guide doesn't make note of the obvious. Eye of the storm gives the CW massive burst power. Whenever it procs you know your double rays alone can easily destroy 15k+ health.

Bonus tip CW vs CW. Ice knife is loud on channeling if your speakers are on you can easily react in time. Tele Grip And gib.
  • Options
    harming18harming18 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited May 2013

Tricks with steal time

1) it gains arcane stacks v.fast before hitting targets. Thats 5 stacks yes 5! from 1 target. Making your ray and grip very damaging and last longer. And enhancing its own damage.

2) can be channelled in the air. That's right. On the non castle map you can drop in on 2 cast it in air land and stun anyone holding it. On the castle map there#s a few ledges where you can jump tele onto people. Of course do not go rambo 1v5 without backup. But it's great against 1-3 people specially when there's only 1 cw to gib with your rotation once you land.

5) Gains daily like a don. Along with shield there's no other skills that gain so much action points for CW.

How to not use it.

1) waste your spell mastery. This isn't a dungeon you need 2x ray for the burst. The movespeed is nice but 1 enemy CW makes that a pointless bonus.

3) waste it on CW who has grip ready. It'll cancel your casting with ease if he see's you coming. Other CW CC's come out too slow and aren't instant so they can't stop you on reaction. If you trade blows steal time is longer duration then anything other then grip + avalance(the ball).

I like running a Spell Mastery Ray of enfeeble. Grip with ice strike or conduit. And steal time as 4th. If enemy team has 3-4 CW I might swap it for shield or conduit. If I'm against full melee team or cleric/gf heavy team I bring out avalanche. Sometimes even Ray/grip/Ava/Steal.

The other OP skill. Can easily prone somebody twice or a full team. It can scare off the enemy. Well anyone with a clue wont stand next to a shaking boulder of prone. It's situational yes. But with grip/(if cqc steal time/)ray/ball/ray/toss it's possible to work with it. And merely pushing the ball counts as a proc for both nightmare wizardy and eye of the storm. That's right without the ball hitting them. And ball at 90 feet range with grip 80 feet and toss/ice strike/tele/toss is nice cc. ice knife and all other decent dailies work well with it. And it's nice aoe prone can even setup for that annoying paragon daily(I forget the name but the one that makes you cc immune/damage resistant and prones in aoe).

I'm also surprised your guide doesn't make note of the obvious. Eye of the storm gives the CW massive burst power. Whenever it procs you know your double rays alone can easily destroy 15k+ health.

Bonus tip CW vs CW. Ice knife is loud on channeling if your speakers are on you can easily react in time. Tele Grip And gib.

Good points. Like I said before Steal Time can be a huge advantage I just prefer my rays to it for my 1-shot combo's. For passives its kind of self explanatory but your definitely right, With eye of storm and nightmare wizardry up on a target your nearly doubling your crits on them for massive damage. Your passives should always be eye / single target shock, some people will argue that the 15% cc increase is worth it but for my build, your only true cc is your choke, and I only use it to set up my 1shots.
    As for ice knife im glad you brought that up, ive always done that instinctively and never really thought about it but that's very true. Learn the noise it makes and you can avoid it any time your not cc'ed or out of stamina. As for the ball thing ive never used it or even took it in powers. Ive personaly never been hit with it so I see it as an ignorable skill, 2 slow and clunky for use, but like steal time it could be an advantage if your good with it. Thanks for the post on an alternative build =). CW can go many ways which makes it fun.
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    harming18 wrote: »
    Id like to refer you to my above post on ice rays:
    Clearing some confusion on Why to use Ice Rays.
    Ice rays in itself is nearly worthless, unless your using it to root 2 melee classes.
    The reason I use it is for its 1-shot combo capability.
    The rotation is as follows and 1-shots anyone w/o the use of your ice knife.
    Ray, Force Choke, Ray, Chillstrike then ice rays while their in the stun from chill strike.
    The ice rays shoot 2 crystals each landing around 5k on the target with both rays applied and the combat advantage from chill strikes stun.
    This combo keeps the person 100%cced and in 95% of the cases is a guaranteed kill from 100% hp.
    Another reason to use it is for chases, unlike most spells, Rogue daily excluded, ice rays CANNOT be dodged, it follows its target.
    The root is situationaly useful, if you split it to 2 targets it holds each in place for 2-3 seconds.
    I will try to get a video up of this 1 shot combo to help explain it and show the rotation in action.
    Again Hope This helps to Clarify.

Also look at my build to page 1 to see that I do not run a Thaum build.
    For my pvp build you MUST have Ray in your tab slot.
    It has been tested in about 30 matches a day, ray stacks perfectly. I can go by my ice knife crits:
    no ray ~8k, 1 ray on ~16k, both on 32-40k crits.
    * I think the confusion is using 2 rays with over a 5 second gap. They must be stacked within a combo, they don't last very long.
    Hope that helps.

Maybe you didn't read my post lol.

Double Ray isn't as effective as people think it is. The 2nd ray adds like maybe another 10%. And will have a hard 15 second cooldown too.

And if you're trying to One Shot with Ice Rays, then you should be tabbing it for 50% more dmg, or else not take it at all.
  • Options
    trueghettojesustrueghettojesus Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the 2nd ray is awesome. Yes its faster cooldown without spell mastery for better sustain fighting. But this isn't PVE or a boss fight. So think of procs + burst power increase and it's hardly a no brainer that for pvp it's almost required. As for cooldowns the trick is to not hang around in the action too long after doing the double zap. The cooldown increase will hardly matter then.

As for avalanche. It's a naughty haughty skill. Requires a bit of finesse so it isn't great for pvp but it pays off when it hits. Its situational and I won't dare use it vs 3 cw + 2 tr match up. It is great against camping clerics + their team. Send them fools packing or proning away from his ring of easy heals. I think a lot of people give up of avalanche because of the bugs(if ur holding down mouseclick for on wills during casting the ball will vanish instead of appear)etc.
  • Options
    wartimeraiderwartimeraider Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Tricks with steal time

How to not use it.

Also feats and passives like Spell Storm, nightmare mage, eye of the storm etc. proc like freaking crazy with Steal Time because it counts as using a spell like 3-4 times per second.

Dont agree with you saying the second ray only adds 10% more though.. it really doubles the effectiveness and can give you like 30% more dmg then with 1
    timeraiderlogo2smaller.gif

Elf Control Wizard - Dragon
  • Options
    igglypigglyigglypiggly Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    A few more tips for running this spec:
    When holding points 1 or 3 in the non castle BG.
    -Stand on the very edge of the ring facing point 2 to see incoming enemies.
    -A ray of enfeeble will dismount an enemy. I like to hit the enemies coming up the stairs with an enfeeble then go into my rotation before they ever hit the top platform.
    -For the castle map, make good use of toplane, again always watch point 2 and the direction of your enemies spawn. Toplane for a cw allows you to rain hell on point 2, stop the enemy from back capping, and easy access to potions.
    - On the non-castle map. Make use of the 4 pillars from the toplane bridge BUT do NOT sit there more than 30 or so seconds. Keep mobile. A rogue is Shure to be on his way once they notice your there.
    As Always Hope this helps.

my main issue on those pillars isnt rogues, its cw's on the ground lol. they will try their best to bump you off it. any rogues or gwf that come after me on the pillar i bump off, then they have to run allll the way back around. sadly my greatest entertainment as a cw is bumping players off cliffs haha. a lot of people dont seem to pay attention to their positioning vs you and a cliff, a great example of this is any of the toplanes. so many times has a melee or even other cws come for me up there, only to position themselves badly and get bumped off before they even land a hit. makes me giggle everytime.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    my main issue on those pillars isnt rogues, its cw's on the ground lol. they will try their best to bump you off it. any rogues or gwf that come after me on the pillar i bump off, then they have to run allll the way back around. sadly my greatest entertainment as a cw is bumping players off cliffs haha. a lot of people dont seem to pay attention to their positioning vs you and a cliff, a great example of this is any of the toplanes. so many times has a melee or even other cws come for me up there, only to position themselves badly and get bumped off before they even land a hit. makes me giggle everytime.

Absolutely agree, if your working repel or shield into your build it makes for easy knock offs for the pillars. With my setup though, I have no true knockbacks so once the rogues jump me im grounded quick. For CW's on the ground you can usually los them until your cd's are back up, but ive been knocked off a few times also from the ground.if you stand with your back to the bridge and gun towards their spawn its very hard for them to get you down.
    Hope That helps.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    knoteskad wrote: »
    Maybe you didn't read my post lol.

Double Ray isn't as effective as people think it is. The 2nd ray adds like maybe another 10%. And will have a hard 15 second cooldown too.

And if you're trying to One Shot with Ice Rays, then you should be tabbing it for 50% more dmg, or else not take it at all.

I read this, and in a pve situation your absolutely right.
    But for pvp this is 100% false. Through nearly 60 matches a day since day 2 of the 5 day head start I have tested this time and time again. Ray affects pvp targets differently than a pve monster. It is ABSOLUTLEY necessary to TAB it for the double stack. The second application allows each shard of your ice rays to hit 5-7k, which stacks for a nice 10-14k ontop of your 2 rays dot's ticking and a 10-14k chilstrike.
    Sorry to smash your post but it is completely false in a pvp environment, which is the point of this thread.
  • Options
    infexominfexom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been trying my CW in pvp a lot. Your guide seems like the perfect pvp build. Thanks for posting it, seriously
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    No problem man, ill keep updating as changes are made so feel free to bookmark and check back in with each update. Ill also be making a guide for pvp ranger when it is released.
  • Options
    igglypigglyigglypiggly Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    I read this, and in a pve situation your absolutely right.
    But for pvp this is 100% false. Through nearly 60 matches a day since day 2 of the 5 day head start I have tested this time and time again. Ray affects pvp targets differently than a pve monster. It is ABSOLUTLEY necessary to TAB it for the double stack. The second application allows each shard of your ice rays to hit 5-7k, which stacks for a nice 10-14k ontop of your 2 rays dot's ticking and a 10-14k chilstrike.
    Sorry to smash your post but it is completely false in a pvp environment, which is the point of this thread.

i second this 100% in pvp i used to have sooo much trouble with a good gf, in terms of depleting their block meter to get some hits in. the second i got rays, especially double tap rays that shield melted like butter. any other players too, double tap ray of enfeeblement makes any of your hits cut through them like theyre wearing tissue paper armor.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Hey guys a quick update. Lving up a GF while I wait for new stuff to be released. May make a pvp guide for them also, still checking in here as much as possible tho =) Any questions ill be happy to answer.
  • Options
    sharkzorsharkzor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like the build quite a lot, i'm just curious as to why your heroic feats are the way they are when you're not using any AOE in PvP with your build?
    Wouldn't this make more sense:
    question1.jpg
    Removing the points from Wizard's Wrath and placing them one into each:
    1 into Toughness for 3% extra hp to boost the damage of the Tene enchantments and survivability
    1 into Controlling Action for a tiny boost to action point build up for faster daily recharge
    and 1 into Learned Spellcaster for a flat out 1% more bonus damage

Also, i'd like to hear your thoughts on the Prestidigitation feat.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    sharkzor wrote: »
    I like the build quite a lot, i'm just curious as to why your heroic feats are the way they are when you're not using any AOE in PvP with your build?
    Wouldn't this make more sense:
    question1.jpg
    Removing the points from Wizard's Wrath and placing them one into each:
    1 into Toughness for 3% extra hp to boost the damage of the Tene enchantments and survivability
    1 into Controlling Action for a tiny boost to action point build up for faster daily recharge
    and 1 into Learned Spellcaster for a flat out 1% more bonus damage

Also, i'd like to hear your thoughts on the Prestidigitation feat.
    Thanks!

Completely agree =) alctually re-speced to this build about 3 days ago.
    As for Prestidigitation. The way I read it its a %age of your base stats. SO adding 1-3% of 27 int is just trash. It may work differently but I haven't played with it.
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Still not sure about Ice Rays in this build. My encounters are Tab: RoE, Repel, Entangle Force and Chill Strike. The cool down for Ice Rays is waaaay too long.

How on earth are you saying there's so much damage to them? The damage seems pretty weak compared to Chill STrike? Is that only if it's in your Tab slot?
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Completely agree =) alctually re-speced to this build about 3 days ago.
    As for Prestidigitation. The way I read it its a %age of your base stats. SO adding 1-3% of 27 int is just trash. It may work differently but I haven't played with it.

From what i've understood i believe it increases 1-3% of your stat ratings.
    For instance, from the screenshots you've posted i saw that you have:
    2904 Power
    2394 Recovery
    On 3/3 it would add 3% to those stats and all other stats in the Ratings tab for your entire team and yourself.
    So, it would make them:
    2991 Power
    2466 Recovery
    It's not bad, and it's for the entire team, but i'm still not really sure if it's worth putting points into and losing 3% flat out damage for.
    That is my dilema.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I maxed Prestidigitation, but I made a human, so I had the extra Feat Points. If you go with another race, it's your call. Not sure the 1% will make too much difference. But 3% for my entire PVP team.... Yes!
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I maxed Prestidigitation, but I made a human, so I had the extra Feat Points. If you go with another race, it's your call. Not sure the 1% will make too much difference. But 3% for my entire PVP team.... Yes!

Yeah, those are my thoughts exactly... But the problem is, 3% of, let's say 700 is 21, which isn't much at all.
    I think it's worth putting points into if you're stacking a particular stat, the more you stack a stat, the bigger benefit you get from it.
    If you were to stack, let's say crit, up to 4000, it would add 120 more which is around 1% more crit rating.
    If it were an increase to you alone, i wouldn't bother putting points into it, but since it's for the team..
    But as it stands, it's really hard to figure out if it's better to put points into it instead of the 3% more damage on all skills, especially if you're using a damage focused build such as this one.
  • Options
    serpentussserpentuss Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    As for the gear, what set we should use with this build ? Pvp set or T2 or better ?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    serpentuss wrote: »
    As for the gear, what set we should use with this build ? Pvp set or T2 or better ?
    On gear sets:
    I honestly believe The PvP Set is the best for the spec I am running for a few reasons.
    1.) The Hp bonuses, more hp, more survivability, more burst damage from Tene enchants.

2.) The 4 piece bonus reduces the cool down of your tab ability "Ray" by 25%.
    This allows us to apply our ray far more often than in any other set. Which is key to getting our kills.

3.) Cheap and readily available. Anyone can get ahold of this set, the enchants are what will cost you in the build.

I have seen a lot of people trying to work in the t2 sets and aside from the t3 weapon and talisman, which I cannot afford, I think the pvp set does exactly what its made to do, function perfectly in pvp.
  • Options
    serpentussserpentuss Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    On gear sets:
    I honestly believe The PvP Set is the best for the spec I am running for a few reasons.
    1.) The Hp bonuses, more hp, more survivability, more burst damage from Tene enchants.

2.) The 4 piece bonus reduces the cool down of your tab ability "Ray" by 25%.
    This allows us to apply our ray far more often than in any other set. Which is key to getting our kills.

3.) Cheap and readily available. Anyone can get ahold of this set, the enchants are what will cost you in the build.

I have seen a lot of people trying to work in the t2 sets and aside from the t3 weapon and talisman, which I cannot afford, I think the pvp set does exactly what its made to do, function perfectly in pvp.

Ok so if i can i should take t3 weapon and talisman...and i'm ok? Nice, thanks for the tip mate
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    PvP Que Bug
    I like to be helpful and don't usually complain about anything but today has been especially stressful because of this bug.
    I have broken 2 walls, 3 mouses and a keyboard today because of these pvp ques. I know I need anger management but please fix the broken queing system before I hulk smash my computer.

SO far what ive found that causes this bug:
    1- When you leave a group, for any reason wile already in a pvp match. Your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for a good hour or so and will only be left out <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> any party you que with .
    2- When your kicked by another player from a game your already in - Same effect.
    3- If you disconnect mid game - Same thing.
    4- If you have 2-3 people in a current game with the same glitch, its like the plague it will move to you also.

Im already bored with 2 pvp maps of the same type of game, but ok I stick in there and jump on anyway. And today out of 85 ques I got to play 6 games. The rest all bugged out.
    This will be what makes me leave if its not fixed.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Okay, I stand VERY MUCH corrected. Just tried 2 RoE + Icy Rays. Hot ****! That's some nice damage!
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    archzillaarchzilla Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So recently I've seen several wizards using something that looks like the rogues impossible to catch. I choke them and they just break out of it while their body turns black, it looks identical. I don't see anything in any power that would do this, is there a gear set I don't know about or something?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    archzilla wrote: »
    So recently I've seen several wizards using something that looks like the rogues impossible to catch. I choke them and they just break out of it while their body turns black, it looks identical. I don't see anything in any power that would do this, is there a gear set I don't know about or something?

I haven't ran into this so im not shure. As for skills / feats nothing can do this for us. It may be a set bonus that I haven't seen yet.
  • Options
    shgthshgth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It sounds cool, haven't seen it myself nor do I know what it is but I want it! :)
    - Shagath, VoTF
    Previous guilds: Double Deviants, Orum, Sandwitches, Dragon Order of Arcanix and many many more.
    Hope I find some old friends!
  • Options
    isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Well I have to give you credit for this. I've been trying this exact setup at least power wise and it does work. Would have never thought to use icy rays, but it is pretty good and don't miss shield as much as I thought. Double ray is pretty overpowered really.

Interestingly the worst class has been the GF. A certain build can stunlock you to death and they can block. That stun is also ranged like a charge. Haven't run in to too many like this, but this one GF was a complete nightmare.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    isopoint wrote: »
    Well I have to give you credit for this. I've been trying this exact setup at least power wise and it does work. Would have never thought to use icy rays, but it is pretty good and don't miss shield as much as I thought. Double ray is pretty overpowered really.

Interestingly the worst class has been the GF. A certain build can stunlock you to death and they can block. That stun is also ranged like a charge. Haven't run in to too many like this, but this one GF was a complete nightmare.

Absolutley agree with you there. A good GF / GWF are our worst enemy. You have to keep abnormal range from these guys at all times. Once they start their chain on you your pretty much dead. I suggest at least 2 telly lengths away, if you run out of room turn and run for a potion or a teammate. That shield bash knockdown has about 2/3 the range of our encounters, and it sets off their chain.
  • Options
    blackfell274blackfell274 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sticky request!