test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

60 CW pvp tips / tricks. PRIDE- Dragon

harming18harming18 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
edited August 2013 in The Library
Hey guys while the servers down I decided to share some tips that I've learned on my way to 10k player kills.
If you play pvp on dragon server you've probably seen me at some point, im a control wizard that likes to solo que, all day. Some pugs are horrible, and that's where you really learn to play your class well, when you cant rely on others to save you. So here are a few tips in no particular order and some strategies I use on each class::D

General CW pvp:
- Pre-load your Daily on dummies in the trade of blades between matches. This allows you to eliminate a person in the clash for 2 right off the start easily.
- Almost every forum ive read says to use shield - DONT - you want that extra slot for ice rays, its a very under utilized skill that allows for 2 shoting w/o your daily. Also ice rays cannot be dodged like most skills, they follow their target.
-My lineup is ray of enfeeble in tab, chill strike, "force choke", and ice rays.
- Make good use of the potions on the map. I have won many 2 v 1's with a potion on me. Its like having a personal cleric on your back.
- Set your FOV to at least 70, possibly 80. This allows you to catch the rogue that split second before they jump you from behind, telly as soon as their outline appears and they just wasted their lashing strike. Win.
- Set your telly to your mouse scroll press or another mouse button. Have it accessible, dodging is key to survival in pvp in this game. You can make classes waste valuable cool downs if you have good timing.
- PUGS quit running alone at 2-4 people. You will never win that fight.
- Learn to split forces, if their whole teams at 2, hold 1 and 3 until they split. Don't try to fight a full force head on.
- Stack Tene enchantments!!! I cant stress enough how much of a difference this makes. I have tested stacking full Rank 7 power enchants in all 5 slots vrs my current setup of: 2 greater tenes, 3 normal tenes: and theres no comparison. With my setup im adding between 2%-12% of my hp to every attack, sitting at 27k hp, that's a huge chunk of damage. NO they do not always stack, but with 5 sloted your almost guaranteed atleast 1 proc per attack.

Fighting TR's: 1 v 1 situations
-Again move your FOV back so you can see behind your character.
- Most rogues are running a 1-shot Lashing Blade build, dodge this and they loose.
- DO NOT go for a force choke instantly, this wont leave enough time to apply both of your rays for the full debuff before their ontop of you.
- MY rotation on a rogue from stealth as follows: Telly on opener "Dodge", turn and apply 1 ray, telly again apply force choke, 2nd ray, telly chill strike, ice rays, dead. This is normally how it goes, of course things vary.
- Good TR's will smoke bomb you then come out with the daze while your in the smoke bomb, this puts you in a bad place. Get out of the smoke bomb by side strafing, they will be on top of you so spam your telly until your out of the edge of smokebomb, make distance with 2 tellys then a force choke, telly again and look for a potion. Your not going to win this fight head on if they open this way, heal and come back at him later.
-The rogue execute, youll see knives fall from the sky at a range, is undodgeable, if this doesn't 1 shot you, don't waste a telly trying to dodge it.
- When a rogue starts spam throwing knives at you, return with magic missles, DO NOT RUN, your missles will out Damage their knives, especialy if you stacked tene's.

Fighting Clerics: 1 v 1 situation
-Clerics , atleast imo, are easy prey. Even in their blue circle, 2 enfeebles followed by 1 ice knife, or by chillstrike + ice rays is a kill, hands down.
- Close the gap, don't give them the distance to escape while you apply your rays.
- Target Clerics first - Always - cc other classes if their coming towards you then back on the cleric.

Fighting GF's: 1 v 1 situation
- Ray of Enfeeble applies its debuff even if its blocked. "hopeing this isn't a bug"
- Keep your distance, their shield bash thing will knock you down at about 1/2 of your max range, once your down your in trouble.
- Start by applying both enfeebles then go to magic missiles as they block, when you see your first hit go through immediately force choke and combo them out. "The damage from missiles shows that their block is down" Don't waste your choke or burst while they still have block up!
- Smart gf's might know this strategy and allow a missile to hit then block to stop your burst- If this happens telly out, grab a potion, come back at em.
- A GF has no more defense than anyone else with 2 enfeebles on them, don't think of them as a tank, think of them as a GWF.

Fighting GWF's: 1 v 1 situations
- A good GWF WILL beat you 1 v 1, if both of you play it perfectly youll loose. SO if their on their game your 3 tellies slightly outrange their full sprint, grab a potion and go at them again or lure them into your party.
- DO NOT waste your choke if they are outlined in red - this means their immune to all CC.
- Keep as much distance as possible, if they get the first knock down on you their going to finish you.
- Not Much else I can say vrs a good GWF, their our biggest threat.

Fighting other CWs: 1 v 1
- their going to spam their force choke and try to lift you right off the bat, best thing I can say is get one enfeeble on them right as they lift you and hope they don't have their daily up. if you got your enfeeble in as soon as you come down lift them and put your 2nd enfeeble on, then burst them down.
- If you learn to use your environment to los, it goes a long way. Pull out, wait for your cooldowns and go back at them if your in a bad spot. Again if you have a potion on you, you've pretty much won.

Group Play:
-working on a group your going to be 1-4 , with 1 moving to either your point or to troll the enemies / watch toplane.
- Your job is to down the healer ASAP, if they have a healer in their group, if not you kill your own kind, down their cw.
- Keep your distance, your a range class, use it, and watch for the rogues - they love you.
- again rotation matters, don't waste your time trying to kill with 1 enfeeble, Use it at 2 stacks, usually back to back for massive burst potential.

Use of Ice Knife:
- Don't waste this on people with <60% health.
- DO NOT use this w/o 2 stacks of enfeeble on an enemy, its a waste of a 1-shot.
- If you took the extra damage feat on enemies w/o chill, which I highly advise, NEVER use chillstrike or ice rays before you Ice Knife. The 2 enfeebles straight into ice knife is how I pull off my 35-40k crits, also with my tenes and founders enchant.

Just some tips there that I think will help. Some people may disagree and it may come down to you play style but I am very successful with what I have said above. Have Fun. :)
Post edited by harming18 on

Comments

• Options
    gwasgwas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 62
    edited May 2013
    Good information. I was experimenting with repel instead of ice rays with the same exact setup prior to reading this thread, as it is very good for PvP builds, I'm more of a PvE guy. My biggest issue in PvP was people jumping on me and running away after enfeeble and entanglements, so I will definitely have to give ice rays a test.

Also I was very curious about the power enchants vs tenebrous enchants. I had a feeling that stacking those enchants and hp enchants is always going to give you more damage, opposed to straight power and then defense enchantments. Anyway in your case you seem like you are able to survive quite well. May I ask what gear you are using?

Thanks in advance.
    Nessa@gwas - 10,500 Gearscore Control Wizard on Dragon Shard.
    4/4 Castle Never legit. 4/4 Shadow Weaver set. 1/2 Ancient Court Magister.
  • Options
    harming18harming18 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited May 2013
    gwas wrote: »
    Good information. I was experimenting with repel instead of ice rays with the same exact setup prior to reading this thread, as it is very good for PvP builds, I'm more of a PvE guy. My biggest issue in PvP was people jumping on me and running away after enfeeble and entanglements, so I will definitely have to give ice rays a test.

Also I was very curious about the power enchants vs tenebrous enchants. I had a feeling that stacking those enchants and hp enchants is always going to give you more damage, opposed to straight power and then defense enchantments. Anyway in your case you seem like you are able to survive quite well. May I ask what gear you are using?

Thanks in advance.

Im using full pvp set with bought t2 rings "offense slots" and t2 belt "defense slot". Also forgot to add in, if you can afford it, Thunderhead Enchant on your armor is a big advantage in pvp also. Give a nice stun on nearly every rogue "because ever hits a crit"
  • Options
    gwasgwas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 62
    edited May 2013
    harming18 wrote: »
    Im using full pvp set with bought t2 rings "offense slots" and t2 belt "defense slot". Also forgot to add in, if you can afford it, Thunderhead Enchant on your armor is a big advantage in pvp also. Give a nice stun on nearly every rogue "because ever hits a crit"

Very interesting. Thunderhead is also a very interesting purchase, I had my eye on one. I also might get soulforged first, since I prefer PvE over PvP.
    Nessa@gwas - 10,500 Gearscore Control Wizard on Dragon Shard.
    4/4 Castle Never legit. 4/4 Shadow Weaver set. 1/2 Ancient Court Magister.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Build / Gear
    #note this is a ST DPS PvP build. It will not cover the requirements for a PvE control based CW.
    [IMG][/img]GameClient2013-05-1515-14-23-59_zps74ffe4b5.png

Powers:
    [IMG][/img]GameClient2013-05-1515-00-46-99_zps4589240a.png
    [IMG][/img]GameClient2013-05-1515-00-53-73_zps69501465.png
    [IMG][/img]GameClient2013-05-1515-00-56-57_zps62fe90a8.png
    Take the powers youll need, youll have points left over.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Continued
    Feats:
    [IMG][/img]GameClient2013-05-1515-00-59-78_zpsc88b8220.png
    Again this is a PvP build made for Max ST damage in a burst form. Not for PVE.
    EDIT (Disregard these feats. An updated ,better list of feats is posted on page 5 of this guide)

Gear:
    Weapon Enchants:
    [IMG][/img]GameClient2013-05-1515-01-14-55_zps46bcbb42.png

Armor Enchants:
    [IMG][/img]GameClient2013-05-1515-01-08-87_zps88fdd9eb.png
    Enjoy guys.
  • Options
    qryticalqrytical Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pretty much agree with everything you said, especially about Icy Rays and Tenebrous enchantments being overlooked in PvP.
  • Options
    noirv2noirv2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, we pretty much have the same build bar some minor differences in the heroic feats.. I don't understand why nobody uses Icy Rays in PvP it's incredible. Enchants are pretty much the same but I can't afford more than rank 5 atm T_T.

Good stuff
  • Options
    hearsticlesicushearsticlesicus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pride is a beast, by the way.

I'm Faust, a TR. We kill things together and I swear by his performance.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Pride is a beast, by the way.

I'm Faust, a TR. We kill things together and I swear by his performance.

Thanks Faus, were a mean duo lol

Also forgot to add into the guide. For your utility slots. Socket Dark Enchantments, id recommend rank 6+.
    With all of mine at rank 6 I have a + 4.4% movement speed increase. This doesn't seem like a lot but its a huge help when your strafeing away from a chasing opponent and waiting for your cool downs to come back up.
    For your defensive slots go for Radiant enchants rank 6+ for the hp add. This adds both survivability and damage from your tene enchants. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Some duo's that are 99% death for a CW:
    If you run into this don't feel bad, your not a bad player, even the best of us will NOT survive this-

-2x Stealthed rogue - If they are decent they will time their Smoke bomb / dazes so you have no control of you character until your respawning.

- CW - Rogue duo - IF you miss the dodge on Force Choke, the rogue will daze you as soon as you land if they didn't kill you while you were in the air.

- GWF - Once they have you on the ground and start their stun chain its about 80% fatal, you may die before you get up, the other 20% my Thunderhead stuns them allowing me to telly out to a potion.

-Rogues with their daily up - Its undodgeable and can crit 40k+ from stealth, regardless of what you do on your end, you going to get 1 shoted every once in awhile.

As PvP goes in nearly every game I have played competitively, Shlt happens, and you cant win em all. If your ever in this situation don't pull your hair out or rage, simply re-spawn and get right back at it. Your still a virtual killing machine. ;) Enjoy Guys
  • Options
    projxprojx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I pretty much play the same way but I'm up in the air when it comes to Icy Rays vs Repel as the 4th. I will say that if I run IRays I like to put it on TAB since 50% extra damage is pretty beast. Lately I've been running Repel and pretty much never lose a 1v1 outside of game over openers.
    Gave in to that momentary sadistic twitch...
    hk47banner.jpg
  • Options
    nodesyncplsnodesyncpls Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    projx wrote: »
    I pretty much play the same way but I'm up in the air when it comes to Icy Rays vs Repel as the 4th.

This.

I'm curious your thoughts here; I've been using Repel to great success and it gives me a much bigger advantage on melees that tend to be the only thing really giving me issues. It's also a wonderful peel to get rogues off clerics and pushing people out of points.

edited: awful grammar
    Elara@nodesyncpls - 9800 GS Control Wizard [Beholder]
  • Options
    malycmalyc Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pretty much any successful CW PvP build uses Spell Mastery'd Ray of Enfeeblement, Chill Strike, and Entangling. The final slot can either be filled with yet another damage ability (Ice Rays in this thread, I prefer conduit for no travel time/guaranteed hit/AoE), or it can be a survivability boost. For example, Shield.

Why would you want Shield? Because it's 60% damage reduction to an attack, which against a TR opening can mean life or death. On top of that, it's an AoE knockback on a short cast time, meaning it can be used to knock away rogues or pesky Clerics trying to stay in their immortality bubble. On top of this, its cooldown is reduced based on arcane stacks, Which can make it cool down as fast as Repel.

I guess it's a matter of what's happening in the match, really. If you're being ignored and they have no clerics, then Shield is bound to be worthless by comparison to Repel, Ice Ray, or Conduit. Otherwise, I'd say Shield is a better choice.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Clearing some confusion on Why to use Ice Rays.
    Ice rays in itself is nearly worthless, unless your using it to root 2 melee classes.
    The reason I use it is for its 1-shot combo capability.
    The rotation is as follows and 1-shots anyone w/o the use of your ice knife.
    Ray, Force Choke, Ray, Chillstrike then ice rays while their in the stun from chill strike.
    The ice rays shoot 2 crystals each landing around 5k on the target with both rays applied and the combat advantage from chill strikes stun.
    This combo keeps the person 100%cced and in 95% of the cases is a guaranteed kill from 100% hp.
    Another reason to use it is for chases, unlike most spells, Rogue daily excluded, ice rays CANNOT be dodged, it follows its target.
    The root is situationaly useful, if you split it to 2 targets it holds each in place for 2-3 seconds.
    I will try to get a video up of this 1 shot combo to help explain it and show the rotation in action.
    Again Hope This helps to Clarify.
  • Options
    qryticalqrytical Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This.

I'm curious your thoughts here; I've been using Repel to great success and it gives me a much bigger advantage on melees that tend to be the only thing really giving me issues. It's also a wonderful peel to get rogues off clerics and pushing people out of points.

edited: awful grammar

Repel is alright, but with the right spec Icy Rays can crit for 10 to 12k damage, and it roots for 2-3 seconds, which is about as much time as Repel buys you against melee.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    On gear sets:
    I honestly believe The PvP Set is the best for the spec I am running for a few reasons.
    1.) The Hp bonuses, more hp, more survivability, more burst damage from Tene enchants.

2.) The 4 piece bonus reduces the cool down of your tab ability "Ray" by 25%.
    This allows us to apply our ray far more often than in any other set. Which is key to getting our kills.

3.) Cheap and readily available. Anyone can get ahold of this set, the enchants are what will cost you in the build.

I have seen a lot of people trying to work in the t2 sets and aside from the t3 weapon and talisman, which I cannot afford, I think the pvp set does exactly what its made to do, function perfectly in pvp.
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If the Feats actually worked Ice Ray would be OP as hell.

It's currently not getting ~40% dmg boost from feats in Thaum lol.

Also I suggest you test your Ray of Enfeeblement out, it doesn't stack quite like you'd think in Tab. I don't think it's worth it TBH.

And Ice Ray IMO is pointless to take if you're not going to Tab it or else chill strike is better.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    knoteskad wrote: »
    If the Feats actually worked Ice Ray would be OP as hell.

It's currently not getting ~40% dmg boost from feats in Thaum lol.

Also I suggest you test your Ray of Enfeeblement out, it doesn't stack quite like you'd think in Tab. I don't think it's worth it TBH.

And Ice Ray IMO is pointless to take if you're not going to Tab it or else chill strike is better.

Id like to refer you to my above post on ice rays:
    Clearing some confusion on Why to use Ice Rays.
    Ice rays in itself is nearly worthless, unless your using it to root 2 melee classes.
    The reason I use it is for its 1-shot combo capability.
    The rotation is as follows and 1-shots anyone w/o the use of your ice knife.
    Ray, Force Choke, Ray, Chillstrike then ice rays while their in the stun from chill strike.
    The ice rays shoot 2 crystals each landing around 5k on the target with both rays applied and the combat advantage from chill strikes stun.
    This combo keeps the person 100%cced and in 95% of the cases is a guaranteed kill from 100% hp.
    Another reason to use it is for chases, unlike most spells, Rogue daily excluded, ice rays CANNOT be dodged, it follows its target.
    The root is situationaly useful, if you split it to 2 targets it holds each in place for 2-3 seconds.
    I will try to get a video up of this 1 shot combo to help explain it and show the rotation in action.
    Again Hope This helps to Clarify.

Also look at my build to page 1 to see that I do not run a Thaum build.
    For my pvp build you MUST have Ray in your tab slot.
    It has been tested in about 30 matches a day, ray stacks perfectly. I can go by my ice knife crits:
    no ray ~8k, 1 ray on ~16k, both on 32-40k crits.
    * I think the confusion is using 2 rays with over a 5 second gap. They must be stacked within a combo, they don't last very long.
    Hope that helps.
  • Options
    cookiebraincookiebrain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am a frost mage, and I do beyond better than any class... I 2 shot rogues, and ABSOLUTELY DESTROY GUARDIANS...SHIELD ACTUALLY works if you have added defense on your gear... I like survival with damage, Not PURE CC with barely any pure damage moves...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I am a frost mage, and I do beyond better than any class... I 2 shot rogues, and ABSOLUTELY DESTROY GUARDIANS...SHIELD ACTUALLY works if you have added defense on your gear... I like survival with damage, Not PURE CC with barely any pure damage moves...

Hmm was that meant to be posted in another thread? I Don't see any relevance.
    I can see your sarcasm and trying to point out that a CW should be stereotyped into a "Control Function" and that were OP in a pvp setting. But, like the rest of the people who cry on threads, what you say has no bearing on truly competitive pvp players. The simple fact to this system is that every class has a roll to play, and there are no bad classes only bad players.
    Thanks for the irrelevant sarcastic input though. Im shure this riles up the less intelligent public. :eek: <--- that's my SMD smiley. I enjoy it.
  • Options
    benthalackbenthalack Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Best tip for PVP: Have an awesome latency or don't even bother.
  • Options
    isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Anything on spec?

What's your second daily or is it pretty much just ice knife you use anyways? The immunity from maelstorm is nice sometimes.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    isopoint wrote: »
    Anything on spec?

What's your second daily or is it pretty much just ice knife you use anyways? The immunity from maelstorm is nice sometimes.

Full spec and setup are on page one. The 2nd daily I use is oppressive force. I rarely ever use it though.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    benthalack wrote: »
    Best tip for PVP: Have an awesome latency or don't even bother.

I agree. If you have a bad connection, it will disallow you to dodge. This will destroy your chances of survival.
  • Options
    oldtrahmaoldtrahma Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is a good post Pride and I can appreciate you continuing to update us with more information. I must admit however that the current 60 pvp environment with all it's "1 shot's" and enchant stacking is causing me to be in no rush whatsoever to participate, which is a shame because pvp is one of my preferred hobbies.

The good news is, a lot of your tips/tricks are universal and can be applied to the varying pvp brackets. I personally have gotten a great deal of enjoyment out of leveling characters strictly through pvp as the metagame/tactics change throughout the level ranges (brackets).

Once again, thank you for the post, it was a good read. Hopefully the pvp stabilizes sometime soon.
  • Options
    wartimeraiderwartimeraider Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    How do you feel about Steal Time in the spell mastery slot pride?
    Combining a your renegade build with massive movement speed and alot of time at combat advantage giving massive crits, wouldnt that perhaps make it worth slotting enfeeblement normally .. For example Steal Time in spell mastery and then enreeblemet, entangle and a third spell of choice in the last slot?

I myself am still doubting what i like more.. The amazing extra debuff of the ray in spellmastery or the 40% crit severity you get from steal time (not to mention the walkspeed and big chance on special skills activating due to the areanature of steal time
    timeraiderlogo2smaller.gif

Elf Control Wizard - Dragon
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    How do you feel about Steal Time in the spell mastery slot pride?
    Combining a your renegade build with massive movement speed and alot of time at combat advantage giving massive crits, wouldnt that perhaps make it worth slotting enfeeblement normally .. For example Steal Time in spell mastery and then enreeblemet, entangle and a third spell of choice in the last slot?

I myself am still doubting what i like more.. The amazing extra debuff of the ray in spellmastery or the 40% crit severity you get from steal time (not to mention the walkspeed and big chance on special skills activating due to the areanature of steal time

The problem I have with steal time is its cast time. Everything in my lineup is instant cast, except ice rays having a double tap, which allows me more mobility. In pvp being able to "run and gun" is a huge advantage. I actually learned to kite by playing a marksman build in Rift pvp, and it translates well to the kind of mobility of the CW in this game.
    Another thing to note about having your ray in your Tab slot is that its essential to stack the debuff twice in a few situations:
    1 - When a cleric has a blue ring placed. A single ray debuff will not allow you to out damage the incoming healing.
    2 - For any Blocking GF. Since they block the damage it reduces their block meter, but the debuff soaks through and still applies. Adding both in lowers their block and gets you ready to combo them out once your first hit of magic missiles lands.
    3 - I have found in chase situations the 2nd ray if unused is very nice for instantly finishing a running opponent off. The initial hit is usually around 3-4k and the ticks tend to drop the person running for a potion.

I experimented with steal time in id say 45-60 matches and found that standing still long enough to get the cast off usually ends in death. And the stun from it, for some reason, doesn't seem to apply in pvp.

Just imo though. If you can find a way to make It work it could give you an advantage.
    Hope This Helps.
  • Options
    serpentussserpentuss Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    What kind of runes you place in the rings, necklace and belt ?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    serpentuss wrote: »
    What kind of runes you place in the rings, necklace and belt ?

Rings are each Normal Tene's. Cant afford Greaters for them yet. Same With Necklace. Belt is a defensive slot, I go with a Radiant Enchant 6 for the extra hp.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    A few more tips for running this spec:
    When holding points 1 or 3 in the non castle BG.
    -Stand on the very edge of the ring facing point 2 to see incoming enemies.
    -A ray of enfeeble will dismount an enemy. I like to hit the enemies coming up the stairs with an enfeeble then go into my rotation before they ever hit the top platform.
    -For the castle map, make good use of toplane, again always watch point 2 and the direction of your enemies spawn. Toplane for a cw allows you to rain hell on point 2, stop the enemy from back capping, and easy access to potions.
    - On the non-castle map. Make use of the 4 pillars from the toplane bridge BUT do NOT sit there more than 30 or so seconds. Keep mobile. A rogue is Shure to be on his way once they notice your there.
    As Always Hope this helps.