test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Not going to waste my time healing in this game anymore.

Comments

• Options
    forumalterforumalter Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    The art to healing? The rest of your party not standing the fire.
  • Options
    razorjack156razorjack156 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't foresee healing in this game changing much at any point. It's an action based combat system, and a 100% heal based class is unlikely to show up at any point.

I believe you've hit the nail on the head here. If you don't like healing in this game now, you probably won't ever. Have fun with your Rogue, or you can wait until June when RIFT goes F2P, I've had a lot of fun with my cleric there.

Action based? When nearly every ability u use roots you in place? Think again. Several actual action based games out there do have full out healers.

As has been stated many times, If they fix the aggro it would be a big plus. You may not be able to play a full out healer, but the game gives you aggro just as if you had.
  • Options
    nationalcity1nationalcity1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    mannerothe wrote: »
    My cleric just turned 60. I very much enjoy playing as one. Soloing, basically nothing can kill me, and in groups, I can dish out some serious heals. Healing IS different here, but it's why I enjoy it so much. There are a few things to get over.

First, single target heals stink, and you're really not supposed to be using them. I don't even slot the one single target encounter heal we have. Waste of space.

Potions are the gap filler. If you step on a trap because you're stupid, drink a pot. Pay for your own mistake. Potions in this game are cheap, and there's not much other use for gold, anyway. Everyone should have a stack slotted. Even the cleric.

And the last is Mad Dragon. I gave up my healer for a short time after trying this. Unfortunately, it takes some skill, and many of the groups need to ramp up to it. So I gave it some time and went back. I got it done on the second time with a new group of good people that talked about it.

If you can't get over these things, too bad for you. I roll a healer in every game I play. It required some adjustment in this one (my mage healer in Rift required some adjustment, too), but I'm having fun. The other dragon dungeon at 59 was relatively easy, because by that time people had developed the skills necessary. I actually tried a TR, briefly, when I gave up my cleric. It's deleted now. Can't stand the class. I don't have the mindset for dps, or the desire. I couldn't play the mage, either. So, for me, it's heal, or move on. Or maybe tank.

Unless I'm mistaken I don't think he was actually arguing that we shouldn't drink potions he's arguing that he shouldn't have to fight off the hoard of adds at every boss encounter because of the borked aggro from healing in this game did I maybe get it wrong?

And too tell people too bad for you because a game mechanic is broken is just silly....

I mean when the GF can't get aggro from the cleric what's the point of the class? I mean they can't dps better then anything else so whats the point of having them in the group then?

It's comments like this that just don't seem to grasp that the healing has a fundamental flaw with aggro generation.......

I shouldn't have to run around the whole boss fight chugging potions while having every add on me that the boss summons. While simultaneously hoping someone might get off the boss for a couple minutes to kill em......

If this is how it's gonna be they might as well get rid of GF and let the DC be the tank because that's how it's working atm anyway.....
  • Options
    therealalientherealalien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 72
    edited May 2013
    Unless I'm mistaken I don't think he was actually arguing that we shouldn't drink potions he's arguing that he shouldn't have to fight off the hoard of adds at every boss encounter because of the borked aggro from healing in this game did I maybe get it wrong?

And too tell people too bad for you because a game mechanic is broken is just silly....

I mean when the GF can't get aggro from the cleric what's the point of the class? I mean they can't dps better then anything else so whats the point of having them in the group then?

It's comments like this that just don't seem to grasp that the healing has a fundamental flaw with aggro generation.......

I shouldn't have to run around the whole boss fight chugging potions while having every add on me that the boss summons. While simultaneously hoping someone might get off the boss for a couple minutes to kill em......

If this is how it's gonna be they might as well get rid of GF and let the DC be the tank because that's how it's working atm anyway.....

You know there is a 20% threat reduction class feature for you heals?
  • Options
    jaelithejaelithe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 99
    edited May 2013
    I know most of us think the game has been released - and it certainly feels that way - but let's try to remember that this IS still in beta. Fixes to things like healing aggro are what betas are for. Few of us would argue that healing should generate NO aggro so its a question of fine tuning to get the mix right (just started the game 3 days ago and my cleric has never grouped so no personal experience to back up this general comment).
  • Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Healing in this game (as in 4E PnP) is a side effect of being awesome. That's why it's good. It's not a "watch the red bars mini-game" class like in other MMOs.

Reducing healing aggro should happen as well, but that would actually be a nerf to the cleric's usefulness, because being the aggro magnet is a useful role. But it's a role that should belong to the GF (or GWF) instead.
  • Options
    calidorncalidorn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Many of the clerics posting are saying that healing is not fun as it is now. Maybe some find it easy. Maybe there is a way to play that works. But from what I have read here it is boring, repetitive and unrewarding in any way at all. There seems to be few builds that work well which means you really have no choice what to do so a skill tree that offers you a 'choice' is a bit of a joke. Get one choice wrong and either spend $6 or fail. (Probably a cunning plan by some Cryptic beancounter......)
    It appears not only to be a unique game in the way clerics operate but unique in that practically no clerics actually like it. (OK so some CAN do it.....but do they really like it ? or simply accept it and work within the limitations?)

I have a 60 cleric. I got there soloing with my <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> pet. Not only does it look like a rock but it has the AI of one too. It was not fun and because of the skills, healing, feats, powers, tactics, agro etc etc I just can't be bothered even trying a group.
    As a healing cleric soloing some of those bosses was just an absolute chore.

I used to love original EQ as an enchanter because you could get some clown drag a bad pull back to camp and then know that it was all on you to save the day. Locking and holding 9 or 10 mobs while the group held, recovered and ate their way through them steadily was awesome. You did it. You pulled it off and even if it is a game I was pretty pleased with myself for it.
    Then I tried a cleric and it was even more rewarding. Seeing it all going bad and turning it around. Who cares if the group was ungrateful. I knew I played a big part in saving the group. All part of the job.
    Can't see anything like that in this game at all sorry. Combat is fast with numerous adds and pretty much no control in a messy situation.
    Since when is running around waving your arms screaming while everything whacks you a valid tactic ?

Clerics and combat in this game are a product of someones 'vision' for a dynamic, fast moving and action packed dungeon romp.

Only thing I can suggest is that the combat design team get LASIK.
  • Options
    banecrushrbanecrushr Member Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I thought about a clreic roll, but after reading forums and so on... I'm glad I rolled a T/R and a mage. I played a healer in RIft, it was the bomb...but I have noticed the aggro pull in ever instance, neddless to say I am one of those who understands, its the other 3 in a grp to take down adds... I hit the boss only when adds are cleared and theres time for it, queing for dungeons is a mistake... you alwasy wind up with a bunch of idiots that run through, nevertaking time to explore, over EVERY stinking trap time and again might I add, and for what, a few K in AD's... no thanks the whole thing is silly to me, its as if none of these folks have ever played a MMO....we have a small guild ATM, hoping to build it up enough so as to have people on so as to run the dungeons in a manner that makes freaking sence. Sorry tho about healers...every game needs them!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Sir, were now surrounded"!
    Thats great news son, now we can attack from ALL sides"!
  • Options
    nymbylnymbyl Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I enjoy playing my cleric who is currently 41, I do skirimishes and dungeons during events mostly for ad, it did take time to get used to, I sucked at first keeping the whole group healed, understanding how the mobs react to heals, regens, and pre-regens going into battle, this MMO style combat system is not your Mom's MMO style combat.....it is, how shall we say, special

once I realized you just need to let your party build some agro, learn where the adds spawn and when, and constantly avoid all the red attacks aimed at you once you do start throwing your regen around, and yeah, I do burn potions in groups a lot especially pug, I became pretty good at keeping my party alive

the problem is mostly due to imo more of a name tab mechanics issue as much as trying to blame it on tank/dps not helping the cleric....

the thing is, is almost impossible to currently see your whole groups name tags from any distance, so if everyone is separated, or stacked on another, it makes it impossible to find your target, so you end up circling the group, not able to even help with dps, searching, while avoiding aoe and extra minor adds nipping your ankles the whole way

I will admit this, I do believe this is one of the first damage style games in an mmo group setting where all the players need to constantly be rotating your camera to see what is going on and learn each boss room, if you just try and burn the boss hoping your going to be endlessly healed, it does not work that way, clerics have to build divinity to get off one large heal and even then it is over time, draws agro and takes regen time away from everyone else, not to mention astral shield every big boss for the dps to get them extra hp as well and zap in close for aoe heal Burst every tiem it pops

needless to say, playing a cleric is very challenging, but that is exactly what I like, I don't want to bash keys repeatedly as a dps (although in all fairness I haven't played dps in this game yet, they make not be straight up key-bash types), I want to have to think about every key I bash and when I have to bash it.

So far I am having fun, if our group completes a major dungeon or skirmish with minimal damage, I feel pretty proud of myself, trust me, you can try and burn down dungeons/skirmishes if you want to try, but you need a cleric, even if you don't completely understand how they work

my advise for tanks or dps in trouble, low on health, no potions or potion retime on.....B-LINE to your healer or just step backward from the battle, just enough so your nameplate standsout amongst all the mobs and other players, he/she will heal you priority No1, simply because your nameplate will be bright as day in their face :)
  • Options
    frost168frost168 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you !!!! It's nice to see so many leaving the cleric class to play rogues and cw's. Leave the cleric class to us pros.

It takes a bit of skill and gamer mentality to play a cleric well. That leaves out at least 80% of the current community. If u are QQ'ing about clerics at level 20-40 I have nothing else to say but Baaaahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Those are the EASY levels LMAO.

please. Farmville is looking for applicants. Do yourself a favor.
  • Options
    cesmode8cesmode8 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    @OP: I understand your frustrations and that sucks. But I actually find healing, so far, to be the best experience in the game. For once its a challenge. Yes, the aggro <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> needs to be adjusted and I think Cryptic is onto that fact..otherwise they are just blind. The threat generated is insane. I hear you there. But everything else you listed, its just the way the game is. Go play Tera and heal there, you have to AIM there as well, its the same <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I loved healing in that game too.

People in groups have to realize this, and the sooner they do, the better off PuGs will be:
    1. Clerics aren't meant to be the only source of healing. Use potions please.
    2. Clerics aren't meant to be the only source of healing. Use potions please.
    3. Clerics aren't meant to be the only source of healing. Use potions please.
    4. Don't stand in bad floor expecting massive heals to quickly top you off. That is not how the cleric works. You will slowly gain HP, but if you're looking for an instant HP meter, use a potion.
    5. Clerics should be viewed more as a support/healer class rather than pure healer. We just don't have the umph to top off that tank and everyone else.

So again, I stress...IMO, clerics should not be viewed as the saving grace of the group. Get your a$$ out of badfloor, and the healer will slowly get you up. Use a potion to regain 70% of your HP and the cleric will do the rest.
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cesmode8 wrote: »
    @OP: I understand your frustrations and that sucks. But I actually find healing, so far, to be the best experience in the game. For once its a challenge. Yes, the aggro <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> needs to be adjusted and I think Cryptic is onto that fact..otherwise they are just blind. The threat generated is insane. I hear you there. But everything else you listed, its just the way the game is. Go play Tera and heal there, you have to AIM there as well, its the same <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I loved healing in that game too.

People in groups have to realize this, and the sooner they do, the better off PuGs will be:
    1. Clerics aren't meant to be the only source of healing. Use potions please.
    2. Clerics aren't meant to be the only source of healing. Use potions please.
    3. Clerics aren't meant to be the only source of healing. Use potions please.
    4. Don't stand in bad floor expecting massive heals to quickly top you off. That is not how the cleric works. You will slowly gain HP, but if you're looking for an instant HP meter, use a potion.
    5. Clerics should be viewed more as a support/healer class rather than pure healer. We just don't have the umph to top off that tank and everyone else.

So again, I stress...IMO, clerics should not be viewed as the saving grace of the group. Get your a$$ out of badfloor, and the healer will slowly get you up. Use a potion to regain 70% of your HP and the cleric will do the rest.

This guy gets it.
  • Options
    riven84riven84 Member, Banned Users Posts: 574 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Action based? When nearly every ability u use roots you in place? Think again.

Looks like you don't understand what 'action-based' means. Think again ;)
  • Options
    enge1zenge1z Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is painfully obvious that 70% or more of people commenting here have not leveled a cleric anywhere near 60. Astral shield is the greatest healing tool ever. of all time. I will admit that from the late 30's to 50 is a bit rough as cleric, but once you get astral shield it becomes so much better. I clear 2-3 t2's a day and burn 20-30 pots and 2-3 kits. You HAVE to be willing to burn pots to run dungeons, you just cant go without it. Now granted, these runs are all with guildies but still, healing is not impossibly difficult and is actually fun. Don't say something it terrible if you haven't explored all of it.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    Right, so Cleric isn't really a healer. It's more of a support class, and that's fine(that seems to think it's a tank). But I enjoy playing healers.

This game, like most action-RPGs, does not have a WoW-style healer. Most games before WoW did not, either. Similarly, Neverwinter also does not have a WoW-style tank, also like most action-RPGs. This really isn't an issue with the game, but with people expecting classes to be like class X or Y in a different game.

It's not bad or wrong, just different. (And personally I would say "refreshingly different", but I understand that not everyone has the same preferences.)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    efioanaesefioanaes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ive always been a healer in my MMO`s, cleared all content in wow,rift,aoc to name a few.
    I really enjoy this game but my cleric now sits at lvl 39 until this agro issue is sorted.
    Like the OP im sick of being called a **** because people die as a result of me running away from mobs all fight long and little time to heal.
    I mean seriously whats the point?

Its a real shame as the cleric can be a lot of fun.
    Ive since rolled a Guardian fighter to tank and now find out my role is not really tanking the boss but trying to round up adds for dps classes to nuke.
  • Options
    teemoorteemoor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 82
    edited May 2013
    Ermahgerd... Srsly. Healing is hard in this game? No, it isnt. You mistake your party members' mistakes for yours. If everyone runs from red, CW actually CC the mobs that should be CCd (like Driders) and so on - you can just refresh AS and it's all good (and for an occasional OH SHI~ situations - Forgemaster's which is stupid op - I crit ~3k every tick). I run a static, so I see the game as it should be. Everyone dodges, uses pots when needed and only ask me for a refresh (AS), cleanse and buffs. It doesn't mean I just stand there refreshing AS. I do everything from punyting adds to debuffing defence by DGlow.

I think ppl are just used to 'me stand here me press 1, 2 ,3 while playing whackamole in party interface. No offence, I used to be like that. Until Aion PVP. That taught me everything I need to know about rough life being a healer (Dredgeon anyone?).
  • Options
    laakerilaakeri Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    frost168 wrote: »
    Thank you !!!! It's nice to see so many leaving the cleric class to play rogues and cw's. Leave the cleric class to us pros.

It takes a bit of skill and gamer mentality to play a cleric well. That leaves out at least 80% of the current community. If u are QQ'ing about clerics at level 20-40 I have nothing else to say but Baaaahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Those are the EASY levels LMAO.

please. Farmville is looking for applicants. Do yourself a favor.

^

OP should try Tera Online as a healer and then come back to see how easy it is to heal in Neverwinter when party ****s on you
  • Options
    wormgaswormgas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    And of course, what kind of class criticism would that be without people spouting personal attacks towards you?

It's not like we're suggesting to expand the established ideas, right? It's a bit more than a week since the game came out and people already grasped Cleric's mechanics like it was like this since the 90's and how dare you suggesting to change something!

How does it feel becoming irrelevant?
    That's a fact!
  • Options
    nationalcity1nationalcity1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    You know there is a 20% threat reduction class feature for you heals?

Hehe, Go ahead and try using it in a dungeon then come back and post here how good it worked out for ya on a boss.......

That's the whole problem.....
  • Options
    daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    A cleric is not a healbot. It's a very hands on, fun, preventative maintenance power boosting paragon and it's absolutely the most fun I have ever had playing a 'healer' because for once, I am allowed to do more than not stand in fire and watch health bars.

I played a monk in guild wars, a ritualist in guild wars. I've played a priest, paladin, shaman and druid for the lat 7 years, so I think I have a little experience on which to base the performance and playability of this class against.

To me, it beats them all in terms of quality and I feel rewarded when the group completes the encounter.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daschla wrote: »
    A cleric is not a healbot. It's a very hands on, fun, preventative maintenance power boosting paragon and it's absolutely the most fun I have ever had playing a 'healer' because for once, I am allowed to do more than not stand in fire and watch health bars.

I played a monk in guild wars, a ritualist in guild wars. I've played a priest, paladin, shaman and druid for the lat 7 years, so I think I have a little experience on which to base the performance and playability of this class against.

To me, it beats them all in terms of quality and I feel rewarded when the group completes the encounter.

I agree the problem here though there is a lot of wowzor kidz who have never once looked at a D&D book, so all they see is their healbot missing.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    aislingiaislingi Member Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I understand how annoying healing is in this game, as I play a cleric as an alt. So I always carry stacks of potions into dungeons to reduce the frustration. But I disagree, I think the Devoted Cleric is the most enjoyable healer class I've ever played in an mmorpg.

This game isn't designed to have dungeons resting entirely on the backs of its healer, and I say good riddance to that stressful ****. Potions are on a short cooldown for a reason and give a huge chunk of HP. Healers are there to supplement healing, not take full responsibility.

Also Sun Burst is an AoE heal.

and aggro is messed up for everyone. Healers can't reduce theirs, Guardians can't increase theirs. Pets pull no matter what.
    I wanna go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird's all I got, oh, and my sweet style. -Maurice Moss, The IT Crowd
  • Options
    pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spyke2009 wrote: »
    No it doesn't. It has to "thematically" fit into the lore of those games within reason.

I laughed at folks bringing this up ingame, now I don't mean I was laughing "at" them per say, I wasn't being mean spirited but more that the thought of resting 4 hours after using a daily ability seemed REALLY action packed... in an ARPG.

"Hey man wanna do a dungeon run?"

"Sorry, some cretin level 60 pain trained half the helms hold map to me earlier and I had to use my daily so wouldn't be able to use for another 2 and a half hours"
    You do know that the rest feature you are talking about was a key stroke or Mouse click and several seconds to look at a camp screen. I played those games. If I wanted to play any MMO I would not be here. I am here to play a D&D MMO. That means there are certain ways things are done. If you are playing a D&D video game you need to follow D&D mechanics. My GWF's sword should to 2-12 damage or 1-10 not 28-35 nor should I have 800-1,000 HP.
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • Options
    daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    My best suggestion is this. Don't rely on one spell, instead, look at all the spells carefully and think about what you want to do with them. Leaning how to chain properly and to mitigate incoming damage is important. There are a few build posts and a handful of videos to see too.

If your group is well-behaved, does their job and the mechanics are understood, the only problem is the player refusing to adapt. No more 'Heal: Rank 4' (Though ranks were a while ago ^.^)

If they make mistakes, respectfully correct them and watch it all come together. Just remember to correct your own, too.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • Options
    nerdbanenerdbane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1,2 and 3 - WAH WAH WAH I WANNA FACEROLLZ TEH HEALMETERZ!11!

4 - Only legit complaint, aggro is really a problem and somehow it gets worse, my cleric companion started to pull mobs from upper/lower floors.

Healers are not babysitters in this game and you can't cure stupid :P

Please go play rogue if you enjoy him?
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    teemoor wrote: »
    Ermahgerd... Srsly. Healing is hard in this game? No, it isnt.

I run a static, so I see the game as it should be.

Both points are correct but the issue is that this system is much harder than other MMOs when you have to deal with non-guild groups.