test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Not going to waste my time healing in this game anymore.

drexl420drexl420 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I've enjoyed playing healer in most MMOs that I've played, but being healer in this game is one of the most unfun things I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing. Putting aside the fact that healing in MMOs is often a thankless task (every group needs a healer, but most groups don't really show any appreciation for your healing; they kind of take you for granted if you do your job properly, and rage at you needlessly if you're not doing it properly), there's a myriad of problems with healing in this game, namely:

1. There are NO direct heals in this game without having to use up Divinity. Most of the so-called "heal" abilities in this game either a) require to you to attack an enemy (Astral Seal, Sacred Flame) or b) require Divinity mode to function as a heal (Forgemasters flame). Even the closest ability to a direct heal (Healing Word), only applies a slow Regen effect on party members. Sure I could switch to Divinity mode for a direct heal, but when there's four other party members all critically low on health, and only 3 divinity charges to use, healing quickly becomes a nightmare. Seriously, who the hell thought this was good game design?

2. On the subject of Healing Word, why is it that I only have a max of 3 charges to use, and there's a 1 second pause between each charge, and when I run out of charges I have wait roughly TEN SECONDS before I can cast it again? IN EVERY OTHER MMO I'VE PLAYED, healers always have at least one spammable DIRECT HEAL ability with no cooldown whatsoever. Why does this game have to be different?

3. The complete lack of groupwide heals in this game. I don't consider Guardian Angel to be a proper groupwide heal since it heals for so little that it's virtually useless in epic dungeons. I guess you might be able to say Astral Shield is a group heal to an extent but it's not because a) it only heals those who are in its area of effect and b) as always, it requires Divinity mode in order to heal.

4. My biggest problem: the excessive amount of aggro that healing creates in this game. I've lost count of the number of times that all the adds would attack me instead of anyone else just for simply casting one healing spell. This of course distracts me from being able to heal the rest of the party because I have to waste time dodging adds. Cue the rest of my party yelling abuse at me like "WHY THE HELL ARENT U HEALING ME IDIOT GOD UR USELESS". Well genius, it's kinda hard to focus on healing you when the mobs are turning me into a human pinata and taking me down. "WELL THEN STOP GOING DOWN IDIOT". Well gee sir, I'd love to stay alive, if it weren't for all the ten million adds who all decided to turn their attention to me in unison, for the immense crime of casting one little healing spell. Adds that YOU proceeded to then ignore to whack away at the boss while the adds murder me with impunity, so it's clearly my fault. Silly me for not realizing that clerics are actually supposed to be tanks in this game, despite the fact that IN EVERY OTHER MMO clerics are supposed to be healers and NOT tanks. I guess Guardian Fighters are just there to relax and look pretty while clerics do all the tanking for them -_-

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go roll a Trickster Rogue and dps to my heart's content. Or just play a different game entirely. Healing in this game is a fool's errand.
Post edited by drexl420 on

Comments

• Options
    majorbpaynemajorbpayne Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    This is why I'm letting my level 34 Cleric sit, and working on a new rogue. Rogue is easy, All you do is kill things. This game was meant primarily for damage and fights. I can tell that when I was on my cleric cause everyone's health would stay up for the most part regardless of them getting pounded on constantly. There is no healing class in this game, Not a pure healer. Clerics are there just to scoot things along and hold everyone's hand while they walk through the mission, making sure they don't trip. I'm having an absolute ball playing as a Rogue, But was miserable playing as a Cleric. I solo-healed EVERY single 5-person event I got in to. So either A. This game isn't meant to have a healer and just a whole lot of people who can just kill the enemies. Or B. You're going to need 2-3 Clerics in every group (NOT going to happen).

I love the game, but not as a Cleric. I wanted to be a healer cause I played one on DCUO and I felt like I had an obligation and responsibility. If I go down, Everyone goes down. Here, It's just a nuisance. You can try to heal but 1. They suck. 2. It doesn't even heal anyone for the most part. 3. As soon as you pop a heal, You have 5-7 enemies on you not even acting like the other 4 people are in the instance so you run around and ultimately die cause you can't even pause from running long enough to throw a heal (That won't make a difference anyways)

/rant
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I take it you have never played D&D in general and 4th edition specifically....

But I do get what your saying about the sheer and utter stupidity about some players.

DumbGF1: Derp don't stop fer traps herp run through them!!!!! omgerd TR don't stop to disarm gogogo

Thousands of lost HP later....

DumbGF1: Omgerd Cleric why not u healz me????

This is why I just can't pug anymore...the stupid is just toxic.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    yourmomisabootyourmomisaboot Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't foresee healing in this game changing much at any point. It's an action based combat system, and a 100% heal based class is unlikely to show up at any point.
    drexl420 wrote: »
    Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go roll a Trickster Rogue and dps to my heart's content. Or just play a different game entirely. Healing in this game is a fool's errand.

I believe you've hit the nail on the head here. If you don't like healing in this game now, you probably won't ever. Have fun with your Rogue, or you can wait until June when RIFT goes F2P, I've had a lot of fun with my cleric there.
  • Options
    spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I take it you have never played D&D in general and 4th edition specifically....

But I do get what your saying about the sheer and utter stupidity about some players.

DumbGF1: Derp don't stop fer traps herp run through them!!!!! omgerd TR don't stop to disarm gogogo

Thousands of lost HP later....

DumbGF1: Omgerd Cleric why not u healz me????

This is why I just can't pug anymore...the stupid is just toxic.

Heh, my motto from WoW applies here brilliantly

"I'm sorry, but I don't have a 'heal through stupidity' skill, and I can't heal a 'psychological snare' effect, if you're not ACTUALLY rooted, there's nothing I can do to help you avoid the red, well... apart from tell you not to stand in it"

I had that on a macro... I needed it to be....
  • Options
    vaeledrinvaeledrin Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    But, but... you had to stand in the red circle if it was Flame Wreath... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcA6y7sxKcA
  • Options
    majtrollxmajtrollx Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    This is why I stopped playing Cleric in PvE, so many idiots. They think Clerics would just heal them to full every second like other games, this is the whole problem.
  • Options
    unirodunirod Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Why are you even still playing ? Haven't you heard ?
  • Options
    spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    vaeledrin wrote: »
    But, but... you had to stand in the red circle if it was Flame Wreath... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcA6y7sxKcA

Exception that proves the rule.
  • Options
    karischkarisch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is what i tried to say to someone the other day, in every mmo healers get no end of abuse if anything goes wrong (even when its blatantly not their fault) with threat the way it is atm, everything and its dog is trying to slap the healer silly, and to be honest its generally no fun to be running for your life cos you cannot stand still cos 10 mobs hitting you = way more than you can heal yourself (clerics cannot heal themselves for xxxx)

If you make it so unpleasant to heal with the cleric, folks will give up playing that class, and potentially the game...

Now i know there are tons of folks that are bound to come into this thread and scream L2Pnoob, but that's by the by, all they need to do is tone down the cleric healing threat and things would be much easier, and you could get back to doing some actual healing for a change, i have played plenty of DnD stuff and yes i get the idea that clerics are not always pure healing and often do damage while healing but sometimes there is enough to avoid etc without having to do a benny hill show which leaves you unable to cast anything healing or otherwise.

Many have said oh wait till you get to level 50 all will be better by then, but how many folks are going to be put off way before they get to that level?

ps. i know alot of folks will say go get a guild and do guild runs to those having difficulties, and yeah thats what i do, but not everyone plays at the same time as others, their days are erratic due to RL commitments and they have to resort to PUGs
    Sarcastic Malevolence
    Recruitment is CLOSED!!
  • Options
    riven84riven84 Member, Banned Users Posts: 574 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    but when there's four other party members all critically low on health, and only 3 divinity charges to use, healing quickly becomes a nightmare

I stopped reading here. I hope you can see what's wrong with this picture.
  • Options
    therealdestiantherealdestian Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    riven84 wrote: »
    I stopped reading here. I hope you can see what's wrong with this picture.

The fact that the entire party needs to learn to avoid damage if they're all that badly damaged?
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have two simple rules that I tell people before hand.

1: Don't stand in the stupid, if you find that your are standing in stupid move.
    2: Don't blow me attitude, it works about as well as giving your waiter or bartender <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At end game, you use NO direct heals at all. AS does most of your healing as you attack witch Sacred and Seal to generate more heals and divine power to fuel AS and Forgemasters.
  • Options
    faethore73faethore73 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I actually enjoy healing in this game more than any other game I've played. They just need to twik a few things and it would be really fun. Alas, they can't twik stupid people. I'm getting tired of people *****ing at me when I stop to loot a chest. So I've decided to just ignore annoying people...if they wanna move ahead and get into a fight while I'm looting something, then they must not want my heals. =b
  • Options
    infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've enjoyed playing healer in most MMOs that I've played, but being healer in this game is one of the most unfun things I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing. Putting aside the fact that healing in MMOs is often a thankless task (every group needs a healer, but most groups don't really show any appreciation for your healing; they kind of take you for granted if you do your job properly, and rage at you needlessly if you're not doing it properly), there's a myriad of problems with healing in this game, namely:

1. There are NO direct heals in this game without having to use up Divinity. Most of the so-called "heal" abilities in this game either a) require to you to attack an enemy (Astral Seal, Sacred Flame) or b) require Divinity mode to function as a heal (Forgemasters flame). Even the closest ability to a direct heal (Healing Word), only applies a slow Regen effect on party members. Sure I could switch to Divinity mode for a direct heal, but when there's four other party members all critically low on health, and only 3 divinity charges to use, healing quickly becomes a nightmare. Seriously, who the hell thought this was good game design?

2. On the subject of Healing Word, why is it that I only have a max of 3 charges to use, and there's a 1 second pause between each charge, and when I run out of charges I have wait roughly TEN SECONDS before I can cast it again? IN EVERY OTHER MMO I'VE PLAYED, healers always have at least one spammable DIRECT HEAL ability with no cooldown whatsoever. Why does this game have to be different?

3. The complete lack of groupwide heals in this game. I don't consider Guardian Angel to be a proper groupwide heal since it heals for so little that it's virtually useless in epic dungeons. I guess you might be able to say Astral Shield is a group heal to an extent but it's not because a) it only heals those who are in its area of effect and b) as always, it requires Divinity mode in order to heal.

4. My biggest problem: the excessive amount of aggro that healing creates in this game. I've lost count of the number of times that all the adds would attack me instead of anyone else just for simply casting one healing spell. This of course distracts me from being able to heal the rest of the party because I have to waste time dodging adds. Cue the rest of my party yelling abuse at me like "WHY THE HELL ARENT U HEALING ME IDIOT GOD UR USELESS". Well genius, it's kinda hard to focus on healing you when the mobs are turning me into a human pinata and taking me down. "WELL THEN STOP GOING DOWN IDIOT". Well gee sir, I'd love to stay alive, if it weren't for all the ten million adds who all decided to turn their attention to me in unison, for the immense crime of casting one little healing spell. Adds that YOU proceeded to then ignore to whack away at the boss while the adds murder me with impunity, so it's clearly my fault. Silly me for not realizing that clerics are actually supposed to be tanks in this game, despite the fact that IN EVERY OTHER MMO clerics are supposed to be healers and NOT tanks. I guess Guardian Fighters are just there to relax and look pretty while clerics do all the tanking for them -_-

Im totally with you here.

Thats why I deleted my 25 Cleric too and made a 60 GWF and CW instead. This game is just a hidden pseudo-trinity model masked by just another Guild Wars 2 zerg fest everywhere and theres barely any tactics involved in any content.
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • Options
    nawdlenawdle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    OP clearly hasn't heard of Bastion of Health...

Why does healing need to be like every game? So much damage in this game can be outright avoided, a topper-upperer works fine. If we could heal people through the 1 massive source of damage that they can easily avoid, the game would be brokenly easy... As you said yourself, if people stand in the fire, you can't heal them through it. That seems to be working as intended. It's not like it's hard to dodge.

Rather than flaming inarticulately on the forums, dedicate the time to finding yourself a non-<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> group of people to play with...

For what it's worth, I've never been flamed by a PuG for my healing.
  • Options
    eros1986eros1986 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mate, do you thank, congratulate or praise a DPS when he do 50 million damage?
    I mean the fact that you successfully complete a dungeon or win a pvp match should be enough, you are no special snowflake, we are all part of a group that is trying to achieve something, you are indispensable and so are the other.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Healing works differently in this game than most MMOs, as it doesn't rely on direct burst healing by the cleric. If a person can't adapt to this different approach they won't find the class enjoyable, and should play something else.

The only thing vexing about clerics is the intense amount of aggro they can generate, which is more a function of how aggro is handled by the game than it is an attribute of the cleric class.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My issue with it is targeting. They could give us a 100% heal at-will to represent the old 'heal' spell in 3.5 and I would still be about useless in a pug boss fight the way people run around. A targeted heal is not what we need. We need a group wide, at will, minor heal spell. Say, heals about 50 X cleric level in a 1000 unit radius, does NO damage.
  • Options
    oxydumoxydum Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    infi321 wrote: »
    Im totally with you here.

Thats why I deleted my 25 Cleric too and made a 60 GWF and CW instead. This game is just a hidden pseudo-trinity model masked by just another Guild Wars 2 zerg fest everywhere and theres barely any tactics involved in any content.

I do agree to an extend. However, at level 30 we can choose a paragon path and the only one currently available is a dps one. I'm confident that once they introduce the other(s) a few of this problems may be solved.
  • Options
    therealalientherealalien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 72
    edited May 2013
    Once you get Astral Shield, it's pretty good. I only use my Divine for Astral Shield because the Divine side gives a pretty big heal and in dungeons it's easy to keep Divine refreshed. For me at level 52, Astral Shield AOE heals for 220 health and I believe it's faster then Healing Wound and lasts longer. It's funny when I can literally solo 10+ NPCs thanks to Astral Shield and the heal it gives.
  • Options
    narathkornarathkor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is why I'm letting my level 34 Cleric sit, and working on a new rogue. Rogue is easy, All you do is kill things. This game was meant primarily for damage and fights. I can tell that when I was on my cleric cause everyone's health would stay up for the most part regardless of them getting pounded on constantly. There is no healing class in this game, Not a pure healer. Clerics are there just to scoot things along and hold everyone's hand while they walk through the mission, making sure they don't trip. I'm having an absolute ball playing as a Rogue, But was miserable playing as a Cleric. I solo-healed EVERY single 5-person event I got in to. So either A. This game isn't meant to have a healer and just a whole lot of people who can just kill the enemies. Or B. You're going to need 2-3 Clerics in every group (NOT going to happen).

I love the game, but not as a Cleric. I wanted to be a healer cause I played one on DCUO and I felt like I had an obligation and responsibility. If I go down, Everyone goes down. Here, It's just a nuisance. You can try to heal but 1. They suck. 2. It doesn't even heal anyone for the most part. 3. As soon as you pop a heal, You have 5-7 enemies on you not even acting like the other 4 people are in the instance so you run around and ultimately die cause you can't even pause from running long enough to throw a heal (That won't make a difference anyways)

/rant

Lets his 34 cleric sit, funny thats the magic number for lair of mad dragon
    Please check out my foundry quests!
    The Sins of the Father NW-DLN6BC8NX
    A Name For Yourself NW-DRBWMCFL4
    Click Here To Visit The Official Thread
  • Options
    narathkornarathkor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oxydum wrote: »
    I do agree to an extend. However, at level 30 we can choose a paragon path and the only one currently available is a dps one. I'm confident that once they introduce the other(s) a few of this problems may be solved.

Again a 25 claiming there is no strategy to the game, there is not ONE single challenging fight till you are over 30 and doing things like mad dragon. The game gets harder from there.
    Please check out my foundry quests!
    The Sins of the Father NW-DLN6BC8NX
    A Name For Yourself NW-DRBWMCFL4
    Click Here To Visit The Official Thread
  • Options
    kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hmm...

What if a rogue could only do his best DPS if he threw down a circle on the floor and had to dps the mobs inside it?
    Or a CW that only get the best CC effects if he threw down a circle on the floor and had to CC the mobs inside it?

Worse, what if the mobs then focused on you which meant that you to had to move out of that circle whilst you ran away, causing you to somehow stop to throw down the circle again, before you died.

Even worse, what if red circles of death split up the mobs so you couldn't fit all of them into the circle anymore? Yet you still had to keep them all alive, whilst mobs are chasing you and hitting you; whilst you need to do dps to generate divinity for the next circle, which may not fit around everyone, you can't single target people because you're always moving.

Only to find that
    (if you could stop, without dying, and somehow single target the mob that didn't get in the circle) your single target heals are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>..
  • Options
    xenogias1xenogias1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm impressed some of you even gave it a shot. I made a cleric, read the skills and feats, laughed and said no thanks. I love healing. Played a healer in every MMO except a couple. But knowing this was an "action" mmo and seeing how the healing worked I knew it would be an exercise in frustration. Mainly because as others have said, you cant heal stupid. Games like this attract massive amounts of stupid.
  • Options
    zombiewafflezzombiewafflez Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've played a healer in every game I've played that offered it, now I'll say this, NW is different in the fact... you don't have mana pot, you must rely on the cool down system. It's all about adapting to what you love. I enjoy being a healer, even in this game. When I heal and get agro I learned start kiting the mobs or tab and do a nice big kickback. As for the heals being heal over time ticks, learn who takes damage and when and start tossing out those heals ahead of time. Also when we have several mobs (which is always:P) I toss an astral seal on every mob, just in case if everyone is hitting something different, then lay down any buff skills for the party.
    Yes it takes some time to figure out the best way to play your class, but the feeling of finally getting it down is much better then deleting any toon that gives me any sort of challenge.
    I will agree with noroblad though, the targeting can get sometimes frustrating, especially when I have a person who taken damage in my sights and as I hit the healing word, someone at full health runs by and I heal them instead:P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    callmedeuxcallmedeux Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Enjoy not getting/getting kicked from groups.
  • Options
    drakeos99drakeos99 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just wait till new paragon for healing comes out for clerics (Devout is Battle Cleric means offheals/DPS paragon) :)
    Drakeos Lightblade - Human - Oathbound Paladin (Protection) (MAIN)
    Drakeos Shadowbow - 60 Combat Pathfinder Hunter Ranger (Alt/retired)
    Falados - Drow (Mez) Level 60 Trickster Rogue - Offically retired
    Drakeos - Drow (Mez) Scourge Warlock/Druid (retired)
  • Options
    oxydumoxydum Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    narathkor wrote: »
    Again a 25 claiming there is no strategy to the game, there is not ONE single challenging fight till you are over 30 and doing things like mad dragon. The game gets harder from there.

I didn't say that there is no strategy. And I'm 38. NWO has done a great job by removing the healbots while keeping a soft trinity. However, I kinda miss more healing in my healer.