test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Clerics almost useless

dovahkkiinndovahkkiinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey guys now i don't mean to be a whinny little baby about it, but the cleric class outright sucks Ive worked so hard to get to lv60 and I cant survive epic level dungeons with a good group. Every time i try and heal I aggro the entire enemy group including the boss himself. It doesn't even matter if I have the 20% less aggro skill active I still pull more aggro then a tank. Why not just make Healers tanks while we are at it just put more defense on them and let them pull aggro with heals they certainly do a better job then most tanks anyway lol.
Post edited by dovahkkiinn on

Comments

• Options
    chonir01chonir01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Your problem is not that cleric's are bad, its that the Tank and DPS your running with are bad ....
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The problem is that tanks have no aoe aggro which lets minions escape and target the healer in turn messing me up cause the party has no heal juice and Im the one who gets chewed out.
  • Options
    pinchzpinchz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2013
    Put Astral Shield on your bar. You also better get used to tanking.
  • Options
    gambitclickgambitclick Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Clerics aren't useless... they're actually required and OP as f*ck. 2 Clerics are nearly unkillable in PvP and PvE.

The aggro system in Neverwinter is horrible so you need to kite around as Cleric 24/7, even with a great Guardian.
  • Options
    kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like they have some work to do in order to fix that.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Ive got a GR of 8500 and i specialize in heals/defense. I dont see why the healer wearing chain armor cant tank almost as good as a tank. I get taken out in a few hits+aoe attacks from enemies.
  • Options
    sepheresephere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The aggro issue is an issue with both clerics and tanks,
    for example, I'm full threat specced tank currently and yet a cleric can get aggro so easily with one spell, even after I mark the mobs.
    That seems abnormal, you know?

So, to sum it up,
    the tanks need more threat generation and the clerics less threat generation overall.
  • Options
    l1d3nl1d3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 385 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Aggro in D&D:Neverwinter def needs work.
  • Options
    clurdgeclurdge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Ive got a GR of 8500 and i specialize in heals/defense. I dont see why the healer wearing chain armor cant tank almost as good as a tank. I get taken out in a few hits+aoe attacks from enemies.

Because then a tank would be useless. The issue in my opinion is not that we cannot tank well enough it is that tanks cannot aggro well enough. I think by design it is not a sit back and be a healbot role, but I dothink they they need some adjustments to aggro at least allowing tank to always keep aggro on boss mob.
  • Options
    solresolsolresol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Possibly the Tanks are specializing on DPS not focusing on Taunt skill specialization. It's a conundrum because the game is so "solo" oriented and Guardians DPS isn't the greatest
  • Options
    kelanatorkelanator Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just wonder does sooth actually do anything at all? I mean is is broken or anything?
  • Options
    sepheresephere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sigh, I said I specialized into threat, equipped the traits and everything,
    but still after marking, cleric gets aggro.
    It's not normal.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The cleric aggro is a big off it seems, but it's also your group that needs work. It makes sense though that mobs would go for the healers, it's a smart tactic, and what players would do. Get rid of the healer so the fight is shorter. Other players and even the cleric should be aware of the situation and kill mobs that go for them. This isn't a game where the healer sits in the back and tosses heals out, not worrying about mobs or anything. You should be in the heat of the battle, it's why you wear heavier armor. There is a great video a cleric running with a group basically healing and off tanking, it's awesome.
  • Options
    bladetwistbladetwist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think they are bad (mine is lvl 20 only btw), but I have been in dungeons where people just ignore adds on boss fights, and what do you think those unattended adds will go to?
  • Options
    wolfzilvawolfzilva Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 167
    edited May 2013
    kelanator wrote: »
    Just wonder does sooth actually do anything at all? I mean is is broken or anything?

I seen a post suggesting to take of all of your gear turning sooth on and then reequipping it, but I don't have a cleric so I cant test it.
  • Options
    nekkeynekkey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am a lvl 60 cleric and have spent a good amount of time running T1 and T2's. Cleric/Tank threat generation is definitely an issue. I have tried with and without Sooth and it made no noticeable difference. I don't mind off tanking some mobs but with most of the boss fights and the rate that the adds spawn you get swarmed pretty fast. Normal encounters aren't really an issue but almost every boss fight results in me running in circles and healing.
  • Options
    malonikmalonik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally I've been loving my cleric... Haven't had issues with agro yet... >_>
    Malonik - Devoted Cleric
    Sarrix - Trickster Rogue
    Hero of the North
    Owner of Neverwinter Elite.
    Officer of Virtual Guardians.
  • Options
    hyttehanshyttehans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    The problem is that tanks have no aoe aggro which lets minions escape and target the healer in turn messing me up cause the party has no heal juice and Im the one who gets chewed out.

Tanks do have aoe aggro, and great single target aggro, aggro feats, cant get anymore tanky than that ;)
  • Options
    phredius66phredius66 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hyttehans wrote: »
    Tanks do have aoe aggro, and great single target aggro, aggro feats, cant get anymore tanky than that ;)
    You know nothing John Snow.
  • Options
    junigenmukyokujunigenmukyoku Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Run two clerics with 3 dps, tank mobs with clerics and profit. Legit strat.
  • Options
    themassakrethemassakre Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Run like hell, knock back and use Astral Shield lol
  • Options
    dtrain69dtrain69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    phredius66 wrote: »
    You know nothing John Snow.

She disagrees...

game-of-thrones-recap-jon-snow-ygritte-600x337.jpg
  • Options
    xblade7703xblade7703 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i got bored reading, so if someone answered well good for them.

A ur tanks suck. and B I dont know exactly what ur doing but def tank needs to take it up a notch.

as a TANK u DO have aoe! anyone that says otherwise hasnt made it to lvl 5 as a guardian.

for example....
    i keep extra guard class lore and mark 99% threat! i hit tab to open up on a MAJOR boss and then dash in. i will usually smack him once with a shield to lower dmg debuff. then GO INTO SHIELD MODE AND ATTK WITH LEFT CLICK!!! that attk adds EXTRA threat to the dmg. and rotate the aoe taunt when ever group of spawns or i feel i need to top the boss off.

NO ONE pulls off me! NO ONE! control wizards can fully manage the adds after the initial aoe taunt wears off on the adds. cleric shouldnt be super aoe healing for one but as i said dont really know how u roll. i know this is "based" of D&D and really i think we all know D&D is much to adv for the normal "special snowflake" that is on the internet now adays. most ppl suck. i dare to say most ppl dont even have the slightest clue how to MAKE their characters. hope that helps u out a bit though OP.

TL;DR:
    group sucks - teach ur tank how to tank and tell the dps and CW to pay attention and watch the over zealous use of AOE heals.

have a good day
  • Options
    selist1selist1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Clerics feel useless yes they do considering people have to potion chug to stay alive considering we have to kite because of the aggro tables, In order for clerics to heal we have to deal damage if we do not deal damage we cannot heal the class was built that way. Im specc'd into preventing damage and its working alright i can only get off 1-3 hits before i have to shift again.

If you spec right you wont have a hard time in epics unless you have a really bad group and a mage does not follow your bumb to help with add management.
    DRAGON
    Selist@selist1
    4c2eqg0.png
  • Options
    pops000pops000 Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Perhaps post in your class forums kid.
  • Options
    deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 185
    edited May 2013
    Someone in the cleric forum posted a trick to reducing cleric aggro by removing armor/weapons when you enter a dungeon and then putting it back on. Try that out. I think aggro is kinda buggy atm for clerics and tanks so hopefully theyll get that sorted out soon.
  • Options
    shiroiojikashiroiojika Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its not even your tank, your dps aren't dropping adds yo. Bring a GWF.
    Druid.jpg
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Yes they do, you definitely should group up with decent tanks...
  • Options
    vythicalvythical Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Duh thats what control wizards are for ! Controlling the adds that the tanks dont grab so the clerics can heal ppl.
  • Options
    chonir01chonir01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    As a GF I dont have any major issues with threat in most cases. Currently I'm 10.5K Gear and I run a Hybrid spec. I have 0 of the extra aggro talents taken after my respec. Why? They are in most cases totally worthless. Trash packs are pretty easy and I'll hold them all with AoE attacks.

Bosses are different. I'll hold the boss 100% of the time. Some bosses have secondary target attacks (ie they will cast a spell / use an ability on a target other than the top threat) and it may look like the tank lose aggro since the boss just shot a spell / ability at you, thats not the case though. As far as boss adds go, it depends on the boss. Some bosses I'll pick up a few of the stronger adds or Minions, some bosses I wont bother with them. Depends on the mechanics of the particular fight.

If you expect the tank to hold the boss and every add your doing it wrong. Go try that on Mad Dragon and see how far you get. As long as your tank is holding trash (at the very least the strong / elite mobs in trash packs) and holding the boss ... he's doing fine.

The DPS should be killing / controlling the adds that come with bosses. If your DPS is tunneling the boss, thats a DPS issue not a tank issue. If your standing still trying to heal and not moving from adds as a cleric (to the DPS if required) thats a cleric issue not a tank issue. If the boss is running around smacking the cleric / DPS THATS a tank issue.
This discussion has been closed.