test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

This is not D&D... barely D&D-like.

walkyrienwalkyrien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
There is no customization of characters...whether it is skills or spells. Take, for example, a cleric of Sel

**EDIT
Ok then, can't even code a good vBulletin it seems...
Basically my rant was for all the old-school D&D types that know what THAC0 is and remember when elf was a CLASS rather than a race.
Post edited by walkyrien on

Comments

• Options
    sorchia8735sorchia8735 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    then you make it better =D
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    . . . . . Looks like the "Special Characters" forum bug hit this post. Be aware, using any special characters found on this page will result in that character and everything else afterwards to be omitted. Stick to ASCII EN-US (non-Latin) keys and you should be okay. Sometimes copy/paste will inadvertently copy an invisible character instead of a space and cause this also.
  • Options
    deurkier1deurkier1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 70
    edited May 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . Looks like the "Special Characters" forum bug hit this post. Be aware, using any special characters found on this page will result in that character and everything else afterwards to be omitted. Stick to ASCII EN-US (non-Latin) keys and you should be okay. Sometimes copy/paste will inadvertently copy an invisible character instead of a space and cause this also.

You're staff you can't troll people :( !
  • Options
    kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    deurkier1 wrote: »
    You're staff you can't troll people :( !

obviously OP wanted to put the wierd U with a hat on it and it broke his post, Zeb just informing him why
  • Options
    kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    walkyrien wrote: »
    There is no customization of characters...whether it is skills or spells. Take, for example, a cleric of Sel

**EDIT
    Basically my rant was for all the old-school D&D types that know what THAC0 is and remember when elf was a CLASS rather than a race.

yes most of us remember dice rolls and how to hit an armor class of 0, but this is an MMO and it's different, big deal. You are clinging to an old PnP game from the 90s. Times/games change, either you keep up with them or get left behind...

Neverwinter Nights still exists, btw
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It may not be AD&D or even 3.5 but it does seem to be a decent port of 4e to an mmo. In an mmo you will never have the full range of customization that you do on pnp. MMO's that try like DDO have massive balance issues where content is either trivial or impossible all depending on what your build is.
  • Options
    scruffycavetrollscruffycavetroll Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    THAC0 hasn't been part of D & D for over 10 years.

OP wanted the game to be made with D&D V 2.0 rules!
  • Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

**EDIT

Exactly how much meaningful customization did you have when you were playing that version of D&D in which Elf was a class? Especially if you weren't a spellcaster?

"Old-school" D&D wasn't about customizing character builds. That's more of a 3.X/4E era thing.
  • Options
    mrseaversmrseavers Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    4th edition, despite being mmo-like in nature, doesn't really transition too well into a game like this, nor does true D&D. That's mostly because the target audience really isn't the PnP crowd. Modern mmos always target the casual masses and/or endgame pvp-griefers.

That said, i'm just glad it has my favorite Forgotten Realms flavour. Even though i don't like 4th edition and all the background lore coming with it at all, it feels good to, at least, get a chance to visit those familiar places outside of PnP again. So far, it doesn't seem likely that we'll get another AAA RPG again anytime soon. Maybe the new KS projects will change something about that if they are successful? Who knows. For now, i'm content with this solid game, even if it doesn't excel anywhere. Not to mention that it gets F2P right, unlike almost all the contenders.
  • Options
    walkyrienwalkyrien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hell yes I did! That's how FR was meant to be played! With all these characters over level 30...why dont you over-throw the gods? Yer waay more powerful than them... most of the gods of Toril are like 25-30th level.
  • Options
    robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yes most of us remember dice rolls and how to hit an armor class of 0, but this is an MMO and it's different, big deal. You are clinging to an old PnP game from the 90s. Times/games change, either you keep up with them or get left behind...

Neverwinter Nights still exists, btw

It's funny you should say that though. Frankly, my impression so far is that it's not like D&D. Whether that's good or bad is irrelevant, but it's true. I have spent three days thinking that very thing. Regarding "it's an MMO...", there is another D&D based MMO that feels very much like D&D. Before the "if you don't like it, leave" gets too hot and heavy, if I decide it varies too far from what I expected from a game claiming D&D in it's literature, I may well do that. If I decide the game has enough redeeming qualities that it doesn't matter that much, I may well stay. Shouldn't be any skin off anyone's nose no matter which way I decide to go. This game doesn't feel like D&D, but that doesn't mean that I can't have fun with it anyway.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    paraxisparaxis Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have played D&D for almost 30 years in all it's forms up to and including the play test for the new edition going on right now. I love this MMO because I understand the two things are different, the lore and quests and this game are fun. I don't need to be that different than the other people playing, it doesn't interfere with my enjoyment.

If you want a more tabletop like experience there are virtual table top sites and programs for you to play pen and paper rpg's over the internet, my personal choice is roll20 dot net.
  • Options
    pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    charononus wrote: »
    It may not be AD&D or even 3.5 but it does seem to be a decent port of 4e to an mmo. In an mmo you will never have the full range of customization that you do on pnp. MMO's that try like DDO have massive balance issues where content is either trivial or impossible all depending on what your build is.
    So a 4th Lvl fighter has over 1000 HP in 4th Ed?:eek:
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • Options
    lazerglovezlazerglovez Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I laugh at all the butthurt D&D fanboys. This isnt DandD this is Neverwinter. Maybe you should get out your board and just play that by yourself.
  • Options
    scruffycavetrollscruffycavetroll Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    It's funny you should say that though. Frankly, my impression so far is that it's not like D&D. Whether that's good or bad is irrelevant, but it's true. I have spent three days thinking that very thing. Regarding "it's an MMO...", there is another D&D based MMO that feels very much like D&D. Before the "if you don't like it, leave" gets too hot and heavy, if I decide it varies too far from what I expected from a game claiming D&D in it's literature, I may well do that. If I decide the game has enough redeeming qualities that it doesn't matter that much, I may well stay. Shouldn't be any skin off anyone's nose no matter which way I decide to go. This game doesn't feel like D&D, but that doesn't mean that I can't have fun with it anyway.

are you talking about DDO? I heard that game is really really bad...i even tried to play, and you have to request a key from the devs via email..i requested one, never got it, guess they didn't want me to play.

I also heard the cash shop was WORSE than what people deem NW to be.

I could be wrong, not having first-hand experience (although i tried!!!).
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013

**EDIT

You haven't played 4th Edition have you?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    are you talking about DDO? I heard that game is really really bad...i even tried to play, and you have to request a key from the devs via email..i requested one, never got it, guess they didn't want me to play.

DDO is terribad
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I laugh at all the butthurt D&D fanboys. This isnt DandD this is Neverwinter. Maybe you should get out your board and just play that by yourself.

If its not D&D, fine...not a problem...just take the D&D logo off and I'll be good...
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    I am still unsure if "Community Moderators" are paid employees, or even compensated. Could be going the UO route and letting volunteers do the work for them.

Green names are unpaid volunteers. Blue names are Cryptic employees.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeah cause Neverwinter isn't D&D... It's AD&D Forgotten Realms!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If its not D&D, fine...not a problem...just take the D&D logo off and I'll be good...

but it has D&D lore/areas/classes/NPCs etc...
  • Options
    arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Thank gawd. :) I haven't played AD&D since 2nd edition back in College. I sold all my books and haven't read about anything, especially 3rd edition rules, since!

I'm glad this game isn't too complicated to understand, but still has a lot of depth and customization compared to other games (*coughgw2cough*)

LOL... To Hit Armor Class 0...................................... omg I so don't remember how that even works anymore, and I'm glad I don't have to remember what it's all about either! :D
  • Options
    edited May 2013

No, I have not. I stopped somewhere in the 3's...
  • Options
    dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    charononus wrote: »

That is what annoys me about these posts like the one the OP made. For years, when this game started under Atari, it was known that this was going to be based on 4E rules, yet people still come and post about how it isn't the 2nd Ed AD&D or 3.X they remember...NO ****ING **** SHERLOCK! A modicum of research into this game would have told your dumb asses that in the first place, so I see no reason for this asinine complaint. News flash, Pizza Hut doesn't serve tacos either, just in case you had another <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and unjustified expectation for lunch to go along with this one about Neverwinter.
  • Options
    glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

**EDIT

I know exactly how you feel...problem isn't the game...D&D is completely different these days. It is D&D that has changed. This 4th Edition stuff...eww...but hey it's better than that Ebberon crud!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    but it has D&D lore/areas/classes/NPCs etc...

Not really, It has realm lore/areas/NPCs and cookie cutter classes based on D&D achetypes.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    After hearing the Hickman's making fun of it (and reading the PHB) I decided to play Pathfinder instead!
  • Options
    robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Having been a mod on an MMO forum, I won't go into specifics publicly. Whether someone likes a specific game or not, good or bad, what have you, the feel is off. That is not, necessarily, a bad thing. However, claiming it doesn't feel like D&D is an accurate assessment in my eyes, and, I don't even agree that there's no customization of builds, looking at my character sheet, I can see how I can go one of several different ways. Whether they are good or not, I haven't played enough to form an opinion.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    jaxyl1jaxyl1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love the action style, it's fun and all that.. My ONLY complaint it this: Character Classes and the lack of them.

Mage: In what D&D book ever written did a mage NOT get Fireball at some point? I understand the concept behind the "Control Mage." I'm cool with it, but I don't want a "Control Mage." I want a Mage Mage.. You know, one that has spells like "Melf's Acid Arrow", "Fireball", and even something like "Tenser's Floating Disk" (Probably spelled that wrong.)

Cleric: Since when does a cleric throw magical spears in lieu of smashing face with a mace? Waving around a cute little holy symbol incense burner thingy? Really?

I got what you're doing, it's cool.. Expand it to include the classes that all of us old-school D&D players (Not just us PnP old farts either, I'm talking like Neverwinter Nights / Baldur's Gate players) enjoy.

Here's an Idea:
    I want to play a Mage:
    Do I want to play a jack of all trades mage or a specialized mage?
    I pick specialized and from there I can choose a Control Mage, Necromancer, Pyromancer. etc.

What do you do about the "Jack of All Mages" mage? Easy.. Allow access to all the spells, but limit the number they can choose.