test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Feedback] Suggestions What to Add/Change in the Foundry.

Comments

• Options
    voxx75voxx75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 61
    edited June 2013
    Boss Encounters using a Budget System:

For instance, you have 20 points to allocate to a variety of attacks and mechanics. Each ability costs X points - the stronger the attack, the more points it will cost you. Aside from that, the strength of the attacks and hit points shouldn't be editable. This should ensure that the challenge rating and XP rewards are about the same for each boss, while adding much more interesting encounters in our quests.
    @voxx75:
    "An Occurrence at Faolon's Field"
    (daily eligible)
    Shortcode: NW-DGPROFMWU
    "A Lunacy in Havenlock" (needs reviews!)
    Shortcode: NW-DUY2JXAQQ
  • Options
    drnoesisdrnoesis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    #49 General On screen announcement system of some form, so that you can give us 2-3 mins notice to save before pulling the server out from under us.
    ow1b.png
  • Options
    crimsonconceptscrimsonconcepts Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2013
    Reading the master list on the first post I really like a lot of the ideas. Here is the list of items that come to my mind when I have been working on quests.

1) non-linear quests - Right now it doesn't matter how hard you try the quest is linear. Make a Quest-Option field that allows you to set an option with a variable or info. Then have something else be able to check for that to determine if visible, or even if they are aggressive. Adding this type of option would allow for Quest dialog to change based on these and have it be completely different based on some other action or option.

2) 3 dimensional rooms - give us the ability to add a room and move it UP. You could do the same thing you do with doors, with stairs. If you add a room above another, you can add stairs and it will automatically add stairs (which you could remove if you wanted) or move around.

3) Ability to change a NPC without having to despawn it and spawn another. When you have a quest that has a NPC that walks along and then you want to have him stop to talk, then start moving again, then stop, you have to basically create 4 copies of the NPC to do this, and each time he disappears and then reappears, and maybe in a different spot if he moved.

4) Moving objects - Ability to give a item or object a path just like an NPC and have a trigger. Then it just slides the item from point A to point B. This allows for moving bookcases, sliding walls, even collapsing rubble.

5) Not sure of the ability to do this with any reason, but set Gravity to True/False. This would solve the problem of items floating in the air, and would also make them movable if interacted with by the player. I am sure something like this would also take another field of Mass, if you wanted to calculate how it would be effected by a player colliding with it.

6) Foundry editor 90' angle rotation or views. This way you can adjust height of a NPC or item that you can't interact with in the 3D view (like NPCs, really large objects, etc).
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Please test my quests if you could...
    Crimsonconcepts:
    Emberbaths Planning - NW-DGU6CYPV4
    Fires Within - Goblin Attack (Part 1 of 5) - NW-DUXPXBR29
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    A few more recent thoughts...
    • One-way doors and one-way illusionary walls
    • Fire details that burn PCs similar to Spellplague cracks
    • Percentage settable interactable skill checks
    • Non-encounter XP rewards-
      • Perhaps similar to a dropped-item from a dialog or interactable
      • Foundry authors have, for example, 25 "well-done" reward points they can award player.
      • At end of successful quest, all the "well-done" rewards grant some amount of bonus scaled XP -- NOT scaled/bonus against encounter XP -- trying to encourage non-encounter possible quests.
  • Options
    vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm really surprized that this has not been added to the list yet:

REWORK THE DIFFICULTY SCALING

I'm talking about that in general encounters that are easy for a low level character can be nearly impossible for the same character at high - max level.
    Currently, authors have to add difficulty sliders which are not as accurate as we'd want them to be; not to mention a waste of time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Suggestions:

1) Visibility Trigger - Dialog Propmt: Currently it triggers using a part of the dialog tree regardless of whether it's a message of the NPC or a Response of the player; they should act separatedly.

Why? Because If we want a dialog prompt to trigger an encounter, the encounter is triggered before than the dialog ends! It should be triggered at the very end, when the player gives the response. If the player selects DONE instead of the response, something odd can happen (e.g: if the npc is the encounter it will not disappear).

2) Visibility Trigger - When: Currently we can select when it triggers if one or more component(s) is(are) complete OR dialog prompt is reached OR objective is completed, etc; They should trigger if one or more component(s) is (are) complete AND/OR dialog prompt is reached AND/OR objective is completed, etc.

Why? This will allow us to trigger events depending on different variables not using objectives (e.g: If I want a rogue to open a door using a thievery interaction OR a fighter using a headbut, etc.)

3) Visibility Trigger - When - Map Sharing: We cannot trigger visibility of something that is in one map, when something is done in another map. This should be possible.

Why? This would allow us to trigger different events depending on events that happens in previous maps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Add Visible When/Disappear When for Encounter/NPC path waypoint reached.

I'm trying to have an encounter follow a long path and setting fire to a house at the end of their one-way path. I haven't been able to figure out how to detect that they reached the final waypoint and it would be really stupid if the house simply caught fire after the encounter was defeated along the path.

Any suggestions/workarounds welcomed!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    eldarth wrote: »

I'm trying to have an encounter follow a long path and setting fire to a house at the end of their one-way path. I haven't been able to figure out how to detect that they reached the final waypoint and it would be really stupid if the house simply caught fire after the encounter was defeated along the path.

Any suggestions/workarounds welcomed!

You can't do that in any normal way. Also, what stops the player from attacking the mobs before than they reach the one way patrol end spot? Anyways, this thread is to make suggestions to about what to modify/add to the foundry; so, going in-topic, i'll suggest something to add to the list, so that stuff like that can happen.

1) Allow us to stop the movement of the characters for a determined time.

2) Additional visibility trigger when: TIMER - set by the player. e.g: X component happens after 10 seconds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    edited June 2013
    vold316 wrote: »
    Also, what stops the player from attacking the mobs before than they reach the one way patrol end spot?

Nothing. That's the goal -- prevent a mob from reaching a waypoint. We can detect when an encounter is killed by component complete, but not a waypoint complete.
    Anyways, this thread is to make suggestions to about what to modify/add to the foundry; so, going in-topic, i'll suggest something to add to the list, so that stuff like that can happen.
    1) Allow us to stop the movement of the characters for a determined time.
    2) Additional visibility trigger when: TIMER - set by the player. e.g: X component happens after 10 seconds.

That's exactly why I suggested add trigger when encounter waypoint reached...
    [But, we do also need timer triggers and a "pause" waypoint would be great too!]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Nothing. That's the goal -- prevent a mob from reaching a waypoint. We can detect when an encounter is killed by component complete, but not a waypoint complete.
    That's exactly why I suggested add trigger when encounter waypoint reached...
    [But, we do also need timer triggers and a "pause" waypoint would be great too!]

Hmm, I see.
    Although, that suggestion is too specific I think. Maybe, they can add something like:

Allow NPC/Encounters to trigger visibility when Reach Point reached (currently only the players can do that). That would work in that situation and others too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    ananvilhurtzananvilhurtz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Allow us to:

Set defaults for Y-relative.

(Why) - If we're using a non-flat map and duplicate a detail, if we failed to set that one to Y-relative Zero Altitude, we now need to change every single one manually.

Duplicate groups of details.

(Why) - Why not? Copy/Paste does not preserve Y Coordinates.

Change values for details en masse.

(Why) - Why not? Changing 100 items to only be visible if players are holding an item (a la old illusion walls) is tedious.
    Religion - 60 GF (15.3k GS)
    The Seeker - 60 DC (11.5k GS)
    Faithless - 60 CW (10k GS)
  • Options
    sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! We're tracking this and it's super helpful!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Hmm, but... why did it get unsticked? This was were we could add the suggestions without the need of opening another thread; is it because of the "end of open beta"?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Hmm, but... why did it get unsticked? This was were we could add the suggestions without the need of opening another thread; is it because of the "end of open beta"?

Maybe we all have it subscribed, alleviating it needing to be stickied (also it's regularly added to, forcing it to the top anyway)?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Maybe we all have it subscribed, alleviating it needing to be stickied (also it's regularly added to, forcing it to the top anyway)?

The moderator said that they were tracking it so that it's not really my concern, the thing is that since it's not sticked, new players will create new thread with suggestions. ;)

Also this thread has 53 pages, more than any other sticked thread by far.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Well bump for justice :3 / Good night!
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • Options
    thalazar1thalazar1 Member Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Would like to see all npc float text for fight to submission (enter combat, idle, on submission) made instant for the first bubble then timed for the next. As is with it on random time some mobs never get to say their text before disappearing or being killed, unless you make them stick around forever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Lost Keep NW-DS1XBAK7D An experiment Daily Foundry
    The Ruined Temple NW-DBHC7MUBL Latest and last one Daily Foundry
  • Options
    uberwolfeuberwolfe Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I would like to see more ambient nature sound. Trying to find just crickets chirping or wind in the trees is impossible.
  • Options
    belberkbelberk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 81
    edited July 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . Great thread. I shall give it some temporary sticky-time while it is up for full review by the Mod Team. Looking forward to seeing more constructive feedback like this! Just please know, this is a temp sticky to divine its future! I've also updated the thread Title to be more fitting for a Sticky.

Here is the answer to the Sticky question, although I agree that it should remain Stickied.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quests:
    The Eternal Light NW-DO335J3SZ D.F.E.
    Revenge Of The Companions NW-DMHJNCEY5

Campaign:
    The Light In The Darkness NWS-DJIAO4D3J
    An Unlikely Hero NW-DCFZNQZLR D.F.E.
    The Puppet Master NW-DM8BI99QJ D.F.E.
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    How about instead of making a seperate encounter as a "friendly" encounter (such as the Guards encounter), we should have a toggle option (both in the editor and as an ingame command) for every encounter. Stories could be interesting when your trusted NPC friend suddenly turns on you. I also suggest that the in game version be limited to the weakest encounters as it's too easy to grief using it.
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    ashayafaeashayafae Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If this suggestion has already been made please disregard (Got up to page 14 and quit lol)

More Animal NPCs and Encounters! whoever heard of a world with no Cows, Wild Horses, Rats, Pigs, Bears, Deer, Mountains Lions, ect? It would be great to have encounters of these for Outside maps. As things stand there is only spiders! Village and Farm maps look empty with only Chickens! (need horses WITHOUT saddles too)

The Mys Family Mys-Teries: NWS-DTZW7SYL

Foundry_Sig.png
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There ARE bears, pigs, boards, and wolves, which are good for NPCs (but make kind of meh encounters, lacking animations in most cases).

But... agreed. Need more atmospheric and background animals/life, and existing animals need attack animations.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Need Foundry That Works.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    swordswornswordsworn Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It might be in here already, but a horse that can be set to dead. and a horse that will react when wolves are tearing the flesh off its legs.

Had to abandon my idea and simply despawn the horse in a conversation to get rid of it, while giving the wolves a dead body to eat... really not what i was going for...<free horse from burning wagon, horse runs free . later find same horse dead be eaten by wolves or being attacked by wolvesas a compromise.> But alast even picking npc type human -> costume horse ->contact type dead. Did not work. The is no "spooked" or "dead" horse animations in game. "no horses were hurt or killed in the making of this game."
    45 min story driven solo dungon. Branching dialogs. Multiple mid boss encounters. More small groups of tuff mobs then trash spam. "In defence of the Beggar King" now elidgable for daily foundry. NW-DHJPT25G4

10 min short but sweat. Amusing story and dialog. Light humor. Creative hord/survival mode hybred. Detailed eviroment. Entense combat with little no respite. Lovable contact npc. "The Infinity Chest" NW-DHKAAXTP4W
  • Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    swordsworn wrote: »
    It might be in here already, but a horse that can be set to dead. and a horse that will react when wolves are tearing the flesh off its legs.

Had to abandon my idea and simply despawn the horse in a conversation to get rid of it, while giving the wolves a dead body to eat... really not what i was going for...<free horse from burning wagon, horse runs free . later find same horse dead be eaten by wolves or being attacked by wolvesas a compromise.> But alast even picking npc type human -> costume horse ->contact type dead. Did not work. The is no "spooked" or "dead" horse animations in game. "no horses were hurt or killed in the making of this game."

Yes, dead horse lol.. This and this... And this.
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ashayafae wrote: »
    If this suggestion has already been made please disregard (Got up to page 14 and quit lol)

More Animal NPCs and Encounters! whoever heard of a world with no Cows, Wild Horses, Rats, Pigs, Bears, Deer, Mountains Lions, ect? It would be great to have encounters of these for Outside maps. As things stand there is only spiders! Village and Farm maps look empty with only Chickens! (need horses WITHOUT saddles too)

The Mys Family Mys-Teries: NWS-DTZW7SYL

Foundry_Sig.png

I agree.. There are bear and tiger skins, but we need actual bears and tigers, not to mention lions, cows (there is no cow level, anyone?), and giant scorpions... Plus beetles. There are scorpion, bear, tiger, and beetle encounters in Monster Manual 1. Why not in this game? Oh yeah, I want MINOTAURS too..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
  • Options
    eviledickeviledick Member Posts: 39
    edited July 2013
    swordsworn wrote: »

You can't beat a dead horse.

Sorry, I just had to.

BTW shame this was un-stickied, I'm sure there are more good suggestions in the replies than those listed in the OP.
    Bug Powder Dust: Chapter 1, 15 mins of Cleric friendly hack and slash, with a nod to Pratchett and G Naylor:- NW-DKHPBAVBO
  • Options
    nimmanunimmanu Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Please forgive me if this is mentioned before. I looked through the list in the original post, and one thing I wanted was covered, but I'll just mention it again.... the ability to make OR quest options would be great. Already said, so I won't harp on it, just adding in my vote there.

The other things I'd like to have:

1. Make an NPC fight animation. Rather than only cowering NPCs, let them appear to fight back. They neither take, nor deal, any damage. But at least, when you run up to rescue them, it looks like they're fighting back and becoming overwhelmed. Here you come and save the day, yay! You can currently set guard encounters to look like whomever you want to, but the problem is that I don't want them to be able to damage the encounter monsters, so the whole 'guard' encounter thing doesn't work well.

2. Let us base a "disappear" or "appear when" on events from an earlier map.

Here's an example. If I have Joe in the corner, and the Player ignores him at the beginning of the map, Joe doesn't show up at the end map and assist with killing the final monsters. If Joe rescues him, then Joe vanishes and is replaced by "talk to me" Joe. At this point, Joe-the-helper will now appear in the final dungeon scene and assist the player a bit.

Even so simple as, the player assists joe, and joe shows up at the end of the map to give some more story information. "Yeah, so I went home and found that my sister is gone. I have no idea where she went" and a code is added that allows another NPC to NOW offer the phrase, "Wait, aren't you Joe's sister?" When she says yes, you can now say, "He's waiting for you in the armory. He'll be glad to know you're alive".

The point being that earlier choices can change what story options appear in later maps in the series. If you never chat with the historian, he won't be around to ask you, eagerly, "what happened? did you win?!" But if you do, he'll be there with bells on.

Currently, unless I'm missing something, all "appear when" things must happen on the same exact map, not previous maps. This is probably something that you'd have to program for when the person zones over into the next map, but I imagine it would be do-able.
    Breaching the Swarm NW-DUXUHQWNP

Pick your side, take a stand, save--or kill--your former allies.
  • Options
    ovaltine74ovaltine74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This thread needs to be restickied!

popping back in after a week of protest.

There needs to be a button added to the UI when people are playing foundry quests "Report bug to Author" This sends a private message to the author to report a bug. The reason this is needed is because some bugs prevent players from completing quests and if they can't complete it and leave a review, the author doesn't know about the bug. This is also a way for people to send more detailed descriptions and critiques of foundry quests to the author for the sole purpose of improving the quest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMIME87F5
    Awaiting a serious response from the developers on the abuse of the review system by other authors.

Video Preview