test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GWF- DPS build

Comments

• Options
    saviorgunsaviorgun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Will be working on a pvp guide soon, look out for it.
    Rhek-60 GWF <Folklore>. "Rheking" damage meters since launch. Follow my streamwww.mmominds.com
  • Options
    piku247piku247 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Could you please write the name of your equipment and tell your gear score, coz i want to compare it with mine. I change my build for yours, except Steel Blitz with i have only on first stage and i lost like 400+/- GS. Before feats change i had like 10 100 now i have 9700.
  • Options
    deddbeatdeddbeat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cool build, thanks for posting.
  • Options
    xeromus20xeromus20 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Curious about the Lightning choice over Plague Fire, might've explained it already but I couldn't see anything when I read through
    Paradigm - Instigator Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer - 13k GS
    Instigate and Eradicate
    Alek Silverkin - Sentinel Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer - 11k GS
    How do you kill that which gets tankier the more you hit it?
  • Options
    gravityx19gravityx19 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 85
    edited May 2013
    xeromus20 wrote: »
    Curious about the Lightning choice over Plague Fire, might've explained it already but I couldn't see anything when I read through

It deals Weapon Damage instead of small fire damage and reduction in defense (which we already do a lot of)
    Griff Hawk - Hybrid GF - Beholder Shard
    Griffeth - GW Fighter - Beholder Shard
    Twitch - WoW and NWO Gameplay - YouTube Channel
    GF/GWF Gameplay Highlights/Dungeon Runs
  • Options
    gravityx19gravityx19 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 85
    edited May 2013
    piku247 wrote: »
    Could you please write the name of your equipment and tell your gear score, coz i want to compare it with mine. I change my build for yours, except Steel Blitz with i have only on first stage and i lost like 400+/- GS. Before feats change i had like 10 100 now i have 9700.

Changing feats and powers would not impact your GS at all, as GS is Gear Score not Abilities+powers+gear score. If you checked this morning, make sure you are not missing gear due to their rollback of pretty much all of sunday's progress.
    Griff Hawk - Hybrid GF - Beholder Shard
    Griffeth - GW Fighter - Beholder Shard
    Twitch - WoW and NWO Gameplay - YouTube Channel
    GF/GWF Gameplay Highlights/Dungeon Runs
  • Options
    mallonslefrmallonslefr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi, interesting guide, I like the idea of this class, but sadly (for now im lvl 15) it's really depressing to play, seems like the dmg output is not there at all (I played TR before and then DC)
    will it change? because for now it's really hard to kill things, and i burn potions so fast, what did not happen with the previous classes.
  • Options
    archiewindarchiewind Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Umm.. changing your feats DOES effect your gear score... Just a fyi. I have tested it < its where most my founder AD went to > but as a GWF I can pretty much 3 chain style and kill anyone.... Stun locking them so they cant move.... even rogues if I get y opening style off there pretty much toast! my gear score is 10.9xx with high crit armor pen, and power all purple with level 5 enchants
  • Options
    konnerkonner Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I use this build, and I actually really like it. good post.
    My in-game handle is @Ishamii and my STO/CO handle is @konner920 if you wanna add me on anything.

Shard: Beholder

Characters: Ishami (GWF level 60, geared for pvp) waiting for the Ranger class to be added

Neverwinter FTW
  • Options
    saviorgunsaviorgun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    9500 gs currently. Not really working on this toons gear to hard.
    Rhek-60 GWF <Folklore>. "Rheking" damage meters since launch. Follow my streamwww.mmominds.com
  • Options
    engoleengole Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Could someone point out the best Companion (level 16 ones) to GWF?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I use Ioun Stone of Might from Tarmalune vendor. Get an augment pet. They provide 100% of the stats they have to you. So putting power and crit items and runestones in them gives you the stats.
  • Options
    ardentsunardentsun Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dunno if this was already brought up yet, I'm a nub to the game (Just recently downloaded and have been looking over builds/stats/etc) but yeah.

Tiefling, from what I can see, is probably not the best race to pick for GWF. 5% damage below 50% HP roughly equates to 2.5% bonus damage overall (Unless we have other things as GWF that increase below a certain health percentage? I didn't see any).

Strength gives:
    +1% Stamina Regeneration
    +1% Damage bonus
    +1% DoT Damage Resistance

This means that in a purely offensive outlook, it only takes 2 points of strength to nearly tie with the tiefling bonus. Count in the bonus defense and utility and 2 STR is certainly better. That 5% bonus is the only offensive perk the Tiefling has, the others increase CHA and INT/CON bringing a very tiny amount of offense and some defense, and the last reduces enemy power by 5% on a 10% chance which is purely defensive.

Ergo, any race that can give +2 STR basically wins out against the Tiefling for the GWF. Obviously the bonuses aren't huge and aren't really going to affect you in the long run too much, but if you want the best numbers or if you are like me and use stats as the "tiebreaker" between the races you like then here is the info.

Half-Elf: Worse than Tiefling. No points in Strength though you do get a non-class ability point and +1% critical severity, doesn't make up for it.

Halfling: Better than Half-Elf by a bit but not better than Tiefling.

Wood Elf: Worse than Halfling.

Dwarf: Pretty equal in my opinion, basically a trade off between if you want 2 Charisma and +10% chance for enemy power to be reduced by 5% or if you want knockback, repel, and DoT resistance. It's a toss up but I would probably choose Tiefling.

Half-Orc: Definitely better. +2 STR and +2 DEX give the same damage, and also +2% crit strike chance. You do 5% more damage on crits and get a utility move speed boost in combat.

Human: Definitely better. +2 STR gives the damage, you get 3 HFP for even more damage (Namely +2% Crit Strike chance from feats), and lastly the +3% defense synergizes brilliantly with the Heroic Feat "Steely Defense" for even more offensive prowess!

So yeah. Human and Half-Orc are surely the best races for a GWF. It's hard to tell which one is the best though. They both get 2 STR, Orcs get 2 DEX which is equal to 2 points in "Weapon Mastery" (They also get +2% AoE Damage Resistance and +1% Deflection Chance, which may or may not be equal to wherever you place your last HFP as a human, I suggest "Constitution Focus" as you will get more damage from the increased resistance negation, and also more HP. Also note that "Armor Specialization" doesn't increase your amount of defense, only it's effectiveness, so it doesn't synergize with "Steely Defense"). They have the utility of the movement speed in combat, which is counter balanced in our favor via the +3% higher defense (Less fun, but more useful). Then they have 5% harder hitting crits, but we get +3% defense which works with "Steely Defense" to give us more power, it's difficult to tell which would give a higher boost though I think it would be orcs.

So I think that Orcs have a very slightly superior offense while Humans have slightly superior defense. Humans get more defense than they lose in offense though, so it's a pretty fair trade either way.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Double posting, forgot to mention that there is an error in your OP. You say "Making sure to take the +2 in cha and the 8 in int." as the +2 CHA is mandatory and you have 10 in INT, I assume you meant to say "Making sure to take the +2 in CON and the 8 in WIS". Confused me for a while, you should fix it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sort of but yes 8 in int.. do not take it. As far as race is concerned. No other race other than maybe half orc comes close. And that is assuming your crit is high enough for the severity to come into play. When you are cleaving a dragon and 10+ adds at 50% life or less you will over all gain more damage than any other race.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    saviorgun wrote: »
    Sort of but yes 8 in int.. do not take it. As far as race is concerned. No other race other than maybe half orc comes close. And that is assuming your crit is high enough for the severity to come into play. When you are cleaving a dragon and 10+ adds at 50% life or less you will over all gain more damage than any other race.
    While they are under 50% life, yes you will get more dps. But you have to remember that that is only 50% of a fight. If you do 5% extra damage for 50% of a fight, then you do 2.5% extra damage for the entire duration of the fight. Do you understand? It's kind of basic math, no offense., just trying to make you see my point. I'M STILL NEW, but from what I read, a point in STRENGTH will increase your damage by 1% plus other benefits. What this means is that if you have 2 STR from racials it looks like this:

+2% Stamina Regeneration, +2% Damage bonus, and +2% DoT Damage Resistance
    VS
    +2.5% Damage bonus (Tiefling)

As you can see, when just talking abnout +2 STR, you lose .5% overall damage and gain Stam regen and DoT resistance. THat in an of itself is a pretty fair trade, but then you have the OTHER racials for that +2 STR race. The ONLY offensive stat Tiefling gives is the 5%<50%, humans and orcs get extra crit chance and other defensive stats (That in the humans case increase their offense as well) and crit severity for orcs.

I explained all this in my main post, it's simply math. The only way a +2 STR race would do less damage than a Tiefling is if they had NO other offensive perks (Like the Dwarf) or if GWF has abilities that increase in damage the lower your target's health is. I don't remember seeing any such abilities but if there are some that are used then 5%<50% would no longer be a linear relationship and it would increase damage exponentially.

As far as I know though, the relationship is linear, and in a linear relationship, Orcs and Humans will out damage Tieflings over the full duration of a fight. The damage increase won't be very high at all though, and it's just personal preference really, I just figured I'd discuss it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Maybe you do not understand cleaving and such. Also stam regen not an issue at all. dot res? really.. I do not think I need to go into how useless that is. So why don't you think about it longer. Stam is not at all close to an issue meaning. the +.5 is still better. Not to mention all the adds and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that it helps out a lot on. Overall still a better dps increase. So please stop acting like you know it all and trying to be condescending. Also the Cha bonus from tiefling means more dailys. which means a **** ton more damage from slam.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Maybe you do not understand cleaving and such. Also stam regen not an issue at all. dot res? really.. I do not think I need to go into how useless that is. So why don't you think about it longer. Stam is not at all close to an issue meaning. the +.5 is still better. Not to mention all the adds and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that it helps out a lot on. Overall still a better dps increase. So please stop acting like you know it all and trying to be condescending. Also the Cha bonus from tiefling means more dailys. which means a **** ton more damage from slam.
    I'm not being condescending at all, I posted my findings here based on math and etc. I'm not being a know it all either, in fact there are several instances where I say I'm new. I said several times that overall the racials aren't going to matter much in the long run and that I was only talking about it for fun/to help people.

I'm pretty sure I understand cleaving and such. How about you listen to what I am actually saying? 5%<50% is a total of +2.5% bonus damage no matter how many enemies you are fighting or hitting. Strength gives +1% damage per point over 10, this means that a race with +2 STR will have +2% damage always. This is .5% less damage than a tiefling. Now lets take Orc for example. In addition to the +2 STR, you get +2% Crit and 5% crit severity as well as other minor defensive stats.

So if we are ONLY talking about offensive stats, and not even adding in the defensive ones:

Orc gets +2% Damage, +2% Crit, +5% Crit severity (you would only need a Critical strike rating of 10% for 5% critical severity to be equal to .5% damage)
    Tiefling gets +2.5% Damage

Therefore the Orc is going to have more damage at max level. Humans get +2% dmg, +2% crit, and 3% more power from Steely Defense. They are also going to have more damage than a tiefling. .5% extra damage isn't going to make up for the large amount of extra offensive stats (Crit, Crit severity, power) you get with Orc or Human. Humans aren't as good as Orcs though.

Let me just bold this and emphasize it for you: You only need 8% Critical Strike Rating for Orc racials to deal the same amount of damage as Tiefling racials. The more Critical strike rating you have, the more damage orcs will do over Tieflings.

How do you think Charisma allows for more Dailies? It doesn't influence action point gain from what I can see.

TL;DR: You make no sense and are being overly defensive for no reason. If you have more than 8% Critical Strike Rating, Orcs deal more damage than Tieflings.

Edit: After asking around chat, it appears an average GS GWF will have about 1900 Defense. This means the Human racial will add 57 defense which equates to 11.4 power. I'm not sure whether or not +2% crit and 11.4 Power is better than .5% damage. I think it is, but I can't really prove it. Orcs are definitely getting more damage than Tieflings though.
  • Options
    snugglemancersnugglemancer Member Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I really don't want to get involved in the argument, but I feel that I should point out that the 2% damage bonus from strength is not comparable to the tiefling damage bonus because the strength bonus is added to the overall strength damage bonus while the Tiefling damage boost is a straight damage multiplier.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I really don't want to get involved in the argument, but I feel that I should point out that the 2% damage bonus from strength is not comparable to the tiefling damage bonus because the strength bonus is added to the overall strength damage bonus while the Tiefling damage boost is a straight damage multiplier.
    It's not even an argument, it's just me pointing out my findings and then him talking to me like I'm calling him stupid o.o

Thank you for actually bringing some discussion. I, however, fail to see the difference between the two things you mentioned? Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you said? I don't see how the fact that STR's damage boost is added to the rest of STR is making it worse than a flat percentage. Please explain.

Does the damage bonus from strength not apply to certain things or something? I assumed it was a straight damage multiplier.
  • Options
    snugglemancersnugglemancer Member Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    ardentsun wrote: »
    It's not even an argument, it's just me pointing out my findings and then him talking to me like I'm calling him stupid o.o

Thank you for actually bringing some discussion. I, however, fail to see the difference between the two things you mentioned? Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you said? I don't see how the fact that STR's damage boost is added to the rest of STR is making it worse than a flat percentage. Please explain.

It means that unless your base strength is 10 that 2% damage boost is effectively less than 2% while the tiefling's damage boost is always 5% because it also multiplies the damage boost from strength.

In simple numbers:
    Assuming you do 1000 damage
    20 strength gives 10% damage boost
    For simplicities sake we'll assume both the strength and tiefling damage boost is 2%
    22 strength gives a 12% damage boost so the damage would be 1120
    compared to
    20 strength with a 10% boost is 1100 which is then multiplied by 1.02% which is 1122
  • Options
    asdfasdfgfasdfasdfgf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 237 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Destroyer spec without 3/3 Reaping strike or 5/5 Reaping feat.

DISREGARD BUILD.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It means that unless your base strength is 10 that 2% damage boost is effectively less than 2% while the tiefling's damage boost is always 5% because it also multiplies the damage boost from strength.

In simple numbers:
    Assuming you do 1000 damage
    20 strength gives 10% damage boost
    For simplicities sake we'll assume both the strength and tiefling damage boost is 2%
    A 22 strength gives a 12% damage boost so the damage would be 1120
    20 strength with a 10% boost is 1100 which is then multiplies by 1.02% which is 1122
    Ah that makes sense, thank you. In that case, I would definitely say that Tiefling beats Human on the full offensive. However, I still have to think that Orcs will have slightly better damage output, though it entirely depends on where your Crit is at.
  • Options
    belladanbelladan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Get rid of the armor pen and opt for second tier of the initiator for non-solo play. During dungeons that will provide a flat 5% damage over all %health values and increase your crit chance by 5%. During solo play, ya just need to pay attention to how dumb your pet is... ^_^

I've a similar build, now that I was able to respec out of the bleed. (dammed annoying not having diamonds.) Instead of maximizing "damage", try maximizing the downtime of your rotations.

On a side note, so long as our abilities are client side like the GF's block; we won't be able to maximize our dps rotations as the double-click is going to waste a number of our resources as well as un-syncing our ability follow-ups; if you use them.

(ps: I almost specced reaping strike bonus, but opted for speed over a big bang. Didn't like the "one mob only" aspect too much; would of preferred a smaller modifier so that it adds to the aoe value.)
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    asdfasdfgf wrote: »

DISREGARD BUILD.

Hate to say it, but pretty much this. He also skipped out on a few other Destroyer feats in favor of the bleed, which frankly the bleed is one of the most under powered things in the Destroyer tree itself. It actually works better for an Instigator build. It is a pit trap in the feat tree if you're going all the way up Destroyer. You will get far more bang for your buck out of just Student of the Sword from Sentinel. The fact he skipped over the extra 25% damage on reaping strike for single target is telling, as is the fact that he's using Restoring Strike at all.

Restoring Strike should be replaced with a utility ability such as Come and Get It, Roar, or even Battle Fury. I suppose there are fights where Restoring Strike would be useful, but I can't think of any offhand.

I run with Come and Get It, IBS, and Roar although I switch Roar out for Flourish depending on the fight. I suppose if you're going with a premade team where you know for a fact that your CW isn't going to knockback constantly that you could switch out Come and Get It, but it's just too good of a utility ability with too big of a damage boost on your next attack to skip over in my book.

Basically, if you really don't like Reaping Strike then you should not be a Destroyer.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So by the way, is the inverse true? Disciple of Strenghth increases the Bonus damage that STRENGTH gives, and does not benefit from other things. So in this way, 2 STR is giving more than just 2% damage. The 5%<50% will not benefit from this feat as much as the 2 STR will, correct?
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    http://ricardo.ishibashi.com.br/neverwinter/great_weapon_fighter.html

A little functional skill/feat calc to play around with builds. I didn't make it, just showing it to the community as a resource... we need some good GWF builds.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013

DISREGARD BUILD.

Reaping strike is good for PvE, suck bad for PvP... I wish the skill auto executes once the charge bar is full.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

DISREGARD BUILD.

I know you feel cool and all. But doing 25% more with an ability when it hits a single target only is a waste.. seeing as I am rarely only hitting a single target. So please again stop being stupid trolls and posting dumb things. Also reaping strike is terrible.. really really terrible. The damage of it for the time it takes to charge up is stupid. So why oh why would I take it... so lets just disregard your post not the spec.
  • Options
    asdfasdfgfasdfasdfgf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 237 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I know you feel cool and all. But doing 25% more with an ability when it hits a single target only is a waste.. seeing as I am rarely only hitting a single target. So please again stop being stupid trolls and posting dumb things. Also reaping strike is terrible.. really really terrible. The damage of it for the time it takes to charge up is stupid. So why oh why would I take it... so lets just disregard your post not the spec.

Last I checked, having an At-Will hit Dracholich for 35k every 2 seconds during Determination and every 3.5s without it is far from a waste. Learn how to min/max your class and what to expect from end-game encounters before misguiding leveling GWF's with ill-advice.

As our class stands now - Encounters are worthless in comparison to Reaping Strike for bosses. Bosses are always by themselves and adds are always being juggled/tossed away from the boss. You will always have the boss alone for that 25% dmg bonus.