test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Add a ranked system in pvp

dualbetrayerdualbetrayer Member Posts: 12 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
Hopefully an idea you will like that will improve gameplay in pvp and something to aim for as well.

I have played many MMO games and what I miss in Neverwinter is a ranked system.

What I mean with a ranked system is that you will get exp from pvp and it will move you up into a ranked system. If you have a higher rank you will gain new titles and perhaps a mount or so. I don't want that if you have a higher rank that you should get better gear as well.

You will get exp from how you have been doing (score) and not kills. When you have a score oriented ranking system, people will probably follow the objectives instead of roaming around and looking for kills.

I hope you like my idea, and sorry for my not so great English. It is not my native language as you can see.

Sincerely,
Water@DUALBETRAYER
Post edited by dualbetrayer on

Comments

• seventygeckoseventygecko Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This ranking system would be a very nice addition except for a few things: 1) Rank should show your skill based on points capped, kills, and deaths; 2) mounts shouldn't be earned or even be able to be used in PvP because it ruins the actual PvP aspect; and 3) gear should be awarded based on class. i don't like getting CW gear on my TR. your English was fine.
    Sincerely,
    Faedriel@seventygeckos
  • dualbetrayerdualbetrayer Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree with every aspect you had, but the problem on giving ranks based on kills and deaths that it will be difficult for healers to gain ranks. This is why I think it should be based on score and only score.
  • hkfrenchtoasthkfrenchtoast Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree with every aspect you had, but the problem on giving ranks based on kills and deaths that it will be difficult for healers to gain ranks. This is why I think it should be based on score and only score.

Wait, are you serious? Healers can get kills and assists JUST FINE. I have seen a healer where he basically tanked 3 people at once and lived.
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    A hopefully an idea you will like that will improve gameplay in pvp and something to aim for as well.

I have played many MMO games and what I miss in Neverwinter is a ranked system.

What I mean with a ranked system is that you will get exp from pvp and it will move you up into a ranked system. If you have a higher rank you will gain new titles and perhaps a mount or so. I don't want that if you have a higher rank that you should get better gear as well.

You will get exp from how you have been doing (score) and not kills. When you have a score oriented ranking system, people will probably follow the objectives instead of roaming around and looking for kills.

I hope you like my idea, and sorry for my not so great English. It is not my native language as you can see.

Sincerely,
    Water@DUALBETRAYER

Exp is fine for lower levels but it is meaningless for 60s.

Ranking would be good but not how pvp currently is and all the bugs need to be addressed first! None of this zoning error BS. As it currently is if a team has 1 cleric and the other doesn't, chances are the one with the cleric will win (not always but it does make it easier for them to) So don't get me started on teams with 2 clerics and the other team has zero. That is almost always 99% victory.

You can't have a balanced ranking system where pvp is so heavily broken.
  • cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I have a full virt cleric and I have no issue killing folks. Hammer crits for 18k says you die! If you are like nearly every cleric in the game exploiting Astral Shield stacking. Mainly because the other trees are mostly broken 'i agree'.

I am starting to wonder if there is any class that has 3 real options within their builds. Meaning all but 1 tree/build is nearly worthless. Like Faith Clerics Astral build and GF Conq.

But it doesn't mean clerics don't have some evil spike.

I got 20 kills in one match the other day.
  • cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Oh, I almost forgot.

YES to ranked PvP.
  • therouterninjatherouterninja Member Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Ranked Arena please...oh and deathmatch. A good byproduct of this is we can really see what would balance the game based on top tier performers. PvP in it's current form is so chaotic, that true balance seems an impossibility.
    Beholder MOPP4

60 GF(14.5GS) Cersei
    60 CW(12.4GS) Shadis
    60 TR(12.2GS) Dijkstra
    60 GWF(12.2GS) Winnowill
    45 DC(WIP) Daenerys
    edited June 2013
    krumple01 wrote: »
    Exp is fine for lower levels but it is meaningless for 60s.

Ranking would be good but not how pvp currently is and all the bugs need to be addressed first! None of this zoning error BS. As it currently is if a team has 1 cleric and the other doesn't, chances are the one with the cleric will win (not always but it does make it easier for them to) So don't get me started on teams with 2 clerics and the other team has zero. That is almost always 99% victory.
    You can't have a balanced ranking system where pvp is so heavily broken.

When I am talking about exp I mean experience that goes to your rankings and not level. This pvp ranking system would only be available at level 60. Sorry for not adressing this the right way in my original comment.
    edited June 2013
    cihuacoatl wrote: »
    I have a full virt cleric and I have no issue killing folks. Hammer crits for 18k says you die! If you are like nearly every cleric in the game exploiting Astral Shield stacking. Mainly because the other trees are mostly broken 'i agree'.

I am starting to wonder if there is any class that has 3 real options within their builds. Meaning all but 1 tree/build is nearly worthless. Like Faith Clerics Astral build and GF Conq.

But it doesn't mean clerics don't have some evil spike.
    I got 20 kills in one match the other day.

Of course you can build cleric DPS, but I am not talking about the class as a Cleric, I am talking about someone that goes full healing and focusing on max healing instead of killing stuff. That is why I am thinking that score should affect your ranks more than other stuff, of course kills, healing done, and such could affect the exp gained for your ranks. Though this is only just an idea I would love to see in this game, if they impliment this into the game idea it would be better to discuss specifics at that time they would impliment it.
  • redeclipzeredeclipze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wait, are you serious? Healers can get kills and assists JUST FINE. I have seen a healer where he basically tanked 3 people at once and lived.

and then his team steals his kills....

think please
    BiS DC Seyfried - PvP / CN farm (Dragon Server) 1st Degree Burns

twitch.tv/redeclipze
  • slyfer01slyfer01 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I would love to see a ranked pvp system.
    edited June 2013
    redeclipze wrote: »

think please
    A great point as well, if you get the ranking exp from kills, people would try to kill steal instead of actually playing together.
    edited June 2013
    redeclipze wrote: »

think please
    A great point as well, if you get the ranking exp from kills, people would try to kill steal instead of actually playing together. Replied two times, shame on you, internet!
  • geohingeohin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I was really hoping that Gauntlygrym would inculde a ranked PvP system. Instead, we get a mess of an end game dungeon with PvP thrown in as an afterthought.

If there is a Dev reading this, please realize that without Ranked PvP you will A. lose a large amount of Neverwinter's potential playerbase and B. kill pvp in this game, as there are no long term rewards currently available.

geohin@geohin
  • tisalgadotisalgado Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    +1 on OP...

I also miss ranked PvP queue
    edited June 2013
    geohin wrote: »
    I was really hoping that Gauntlygrym would inculde a ranked PvP system. Instead, we get a mess of an end game dungeon with PvP thrown in as an afterthought.

If there is a Dev reading this, please realize that without Ranked PvP you will A. lose a large amount of Neverwinter's potential playerbase and B. kill pvp in this game, as there are no long term rewards currently available.

geohin@geohin

Very well put! I do not like to play PvE as love PvP action. And I believe that perhaps half of Neverwinter's player base enjoy PvP, they would like to see some long term rewards or even short terms pvp rewards through a pvp system. Anyways, I also do hope any DEV would take this into consideration, as for me, I love PvP.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited June 2013
    +1 for Ranked PvP and for the love of god GS brackets at level 60.
  • jacki3chan1jacki3chan1 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    All chars should rank by healing done(EVEN by non healing classes),assists,kills and point taking. that way none healing classes can rank by points, kills and assists, and DC's can rank by heals, assists and points. would have to remove life steal as healing rank points as Rogues would have to much of an advantage. Hope that makes sense
  • sweatapodimassweatapodimas Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    +1

Please implement some type of ranking system.
    "Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" - Frank Zappa
  • lwetlwet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ranked PvP must be based on win/loss percentage, creating a bell curve ELO rank system.

You can't base a ranking system on kills, assists, or even points because DPS classes always get more points. I'm a full tank GF and I win games, not points.
    edited June 2013
    lwet wrote: »
    Ranked PvP must be based on win/loss percentage, creating a bell curve ELO rank system.

You can't base a ranking system on kills, assists, or even points because DPS classes always get more points. I'm a full tank GF and I win games, not points.
    If you read it more carefully I do mention that points should be based on your score gained in pvp. Though I have not thought of any conclusive way to make it all work, It is only an idea which I hope some DEV will look over and perhaps impliment it in this game.
  • lwetlwet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Kills and assists give higher scores. I don't get any score from repeatedly camping the enemy just to steal points. I never capture their point, just last as long as I can so my team gets ahead.

I have never placed first in a PvP match with my GF or gotten many points, yet my win/loss ratio is positive.
  • erdokanerdokan Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Support, yes pls!
    David Valtiere, Lvl 70 TR with perfect Lvl 60 gear which I don't want to replace cause nostalgia yo ;_;
    edited June 2013
    Kills and assists give higher scores. I don't get any score from repeatedly camping the enemy just to steal points. I never capture their point, just last as long as I can so my team gets ahead.

I have never placed first in a PvP match with my GF or gotten many points, yet my win/loss ratio is positive.
    Well, that is also a good point, perhaps ranking exp should come from win/loss ratio and so on. There is probably many houndred ideas to make this idea work, anyways, tell your friends and vouch if you like the idea of a ranked system in pvp :)
    edited June 2013
    erdokan wrote: »
    Support, yes pls!
    Tell your friends to vouch :)
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

This is completely untrue. Capturing points is worth more points than kills or assists. Your problem is that you're not actually capturing them. If you were, you'd be topping people focusing solely on killing.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • niburu2012niburu2012 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »
    This is completely untrue. Capturing points is worth more points than kills or assists. Your problem is that you're not actually capturing them. If you were, you'd be topping people focusing solely on killing.

1 capture = 6 kills = 12 assists. That's why you see many players leave their mates to death in the middle of a fight as soon as they see a tower in sight is about to be captured.

Points for capturing should be significantly tuned down.
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    niburu2012 wrote: »
    1 capture = 6 kills = 12 assists. That's why you see many players leave their mates to death in the middle of a fight as soon as they see a tower in sight is about to be captured.

Points for capturing should be significantly tuned down.

Capturing nodes it how you win. I'd rather people leave me to dies to go get nodes then waste time fighting when the team has more nodes.

I'd rather not have people with leet skills spawn camping to pwn nubs when teamwork prevails with getting nodes. Current point system is fine.
  • niburu2012niburu2012 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    Capturing nodes it how you win. I'd rather people leave me to dies to go get nodes then waste time fighting when the team has more nodes.

I'd rather not have people with leet skills spawn camping to pwn nubs when teamwork prevails with getting nodes. Current point system is fine.

I mean the players who leave a tower currently under contested to a already won but not yet fully "captured" one.

I have to add that TR are the ones particularly using this point imbalance to gain more points since they can sneak out of a battle, get on their horse, and run to an easy 300 points. Personally I don't think TR are so much OP than other classes. Most of the time, they get more points by getting to uncontested towers using their stealthy ability instead of fighting.
  • riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I'm really interested to start playing around with Gauntlegrym PvP.
    The best part of Neverwinter PvP is that it's more about domination than the kills.
    I couldn't care less about kill count and the balance of direct combat.
    I'd rather stealth my way into enemy bases and sabotage.

The best implementation of D&D PvP would be sending in Rogues to lay traps or blow stuff up.
    And to have Wizards activating runes to summon monsters or wards for defense.
    Find a PvP use for skill nodes.

Once they implement that, sure, ranking might be chill.