What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

5.2.13 - Temporary Open Beta Outage

Comments

• Options
    artex311artex311 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Guess I'm waiting till morning. Oh well, BF3 anyone? :)
  • Options
    velleriandvelleriand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ahh, nothing like a server outage to get the community at each others throats.
    Keredain - Trickster Rogue
    Kain - Guardian Fighter
  • Options
    fearthehydrasfearthehydras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    Playing D&D in Chat Rooms was the first MMO... Did that before I found MUDs

Then you shall be our king!
  • Options
    dvshamsterfistdvshamsterfist Member Posts: 39
    edited May 2013
    Take to twitter and demand satisfaction. #TrueNVWGfans @neverwintergame
  • Options
    jukejointjezebeljukejointjezebel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Have you people never been trolled before? Oh hell, is this game full of actual D&D players, taking their first tentative steps into the digital arena? Are we cross-pollinating nerds? Anything could happen!

Be nice, fearthehydras.

New frontiers can be disorienting.
    300wc45.jpgfa0uv6.jpg
  • Options
    fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    crosschan wrote: »
    <<Spoiler Warning>> It doesn't get better....it gets worse. The ONLY thing NW has going for it right now is that if Cryptic treats it like Champions then Hasbro will boot party them likely which might maybe perhaps get you better communication. You do already have a ton more Mods and your dev tracker does move more than the postings of 2 people so you might come out of this ok....I, personally, doubt it. Good luck though. :D

Don't let the door hit you on the way out :)
  • Options
    randomzanerandomzane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So, 3.75 hours since Neverwinter, Champions Online and Star Trek Online all went down and no real info beyond "hardware failure" from an hour ago has been provided.
  • Options
    marc54marc54 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 69
    edited May 2013
    Ok, im going to try troll people.

Hey guys, Server is up! :rolleyes:

fkn suckers.
  • Options
    jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    so are we back up yet?
  • Options
    scottmdfmkscottmdfmk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So much nerd rage its going to manifest in the real world. My god This thread is almost as much fun as the actual game...
  • Options
    doozerjundoozerjun Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    teethx wrote: »
    funny thing is UO is the very 1st mmo ever and it is still going. Those type of MMOs dont exists anymore they were the best. ESO will be close but with investors involved you will never get a quality product. CU could do well but no one knows whats happening there.

Meridian 59 came out before UO did
  • Options
    dazzle999nldazzle999nl Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    edrick1976 wrote: »
    MUD was the first MMO.
    you forgot to mention mud was textbased.. the first isometric mmorpg was UO
  • Options
    hardpeck1hardpeck1 Member Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Hmm, Habitat/Club Caribe was a couple years earlier, I think. I guess it depends on how one defines MMO, especially the "massively" part. The first game I played that I feel deserves that adverb was Ultima Online in 1997. I played stuff like Isle/Legends of Kesmai, Meridian59, The Realm, WorldsAway, etc. before that, but they were not "massive" in the MMO-sense.

I played LoK as well.

I miss those days of going after an OL staff or a corpse run at mamas or the trip through the underworld if you were the one who got eaten by mama.
  • Options
    yellowchalice1yellowchalice1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Asheron's call memories
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    teethx wrote: »
    funny thing is UO is the very 1st mmo ever and it is still going. Those type of MMOs dont exists anymore they were the best. ESO will be close but with investors involved you will never get a quality product. CU could do well but no one knows whats happening there.

No it is not. NWN is the first. UO, didn't come out until 1997. NWN for AOL was 1991, Dark Sun Online and Meridian 59 were 1996.
  • Options
    drzeyusdrzeyus Banned Users Posts: 87
    edited May 2013
    marc54 wrote: »
    This would never happen in North Korea. gg

No it was the North Korea ... KimjungUn strikes again. . Couldnt launch some missles so they are attacking the servers.
  • Options
    teethxteethx Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    edrick1976 wrote: »
    MUD was the first MMO game in my personal opinion. If you dont know what MUD is then maybe you have heard a traditional MMO game called Everquest, and THAT is a game that is way older then WOW.

I guess you can say MUDs were the 1st but duno I still say UO is the 1st (state side anyways) to come out.
  • Options
    morinoxmorinox Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    falson1 wrote: »
    people just don't see how pathetic they sound here ROFL

Hmmm can't hear anything, let me turn my volume up.

Nope, still can't hear anything, but i do read a lot of whining that resembles the cries of a hundred hungry infants.

One of the moderators should probably give them a Baby Bottle of [S.T.F.U] and a new change of diapers while they're at it.
    "For in this modern world, the instruments of warfare are not solely for waging war. Far more importantly, they are the means for controlling peace..."

~Admiral Arleigh Burke~
  • Options
    kaerthuskaerthus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gateway is at least loading a maintenace page, so maybe soon(tm)?
  • Options
    slugormasterslugormaster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's getting better.. for a brief second, it says retrieving character, then 'The Server is Unavailable at this Time'
  • Options
    feroxusferoxus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    falson1 wrote: »
    LOL wow 30k is not what a server costs.. for a HP dl380 G6 with 40 cores and 500GB of ram you are talking about 70k to 100k. 30k you obviously are not in IT lol

We use a dl380 g7 for our webserver, 32gb of ram, and 2tb storage in the chassis with a trailerpark of a sas for live stream storage, (msa2000 x3 enclosures I forget the cost) I think it was around 12,500 after the CDW discounts. If this puts any of server price claims into perspective.
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    doozerjun wrote: »
    Meridian 59 came out before UO did

Neverwinter Nights (AOL) was before Meridian59
  • Options
    crithappycrithappy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe Cryptic is throwing the ranger class in while the servers are down?....
  • Options
    atlantis212atlantis212 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People that say wow was the first mmo can't either a) research b) read.

Ultima online and asherons call are the most archaic mmos dated.
  • Options
    pfunk1980pfunk1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    im black and dont like fried chicken
  • Options
    jhaxiijhaxii Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Couple things, they probably have data storage redundancy.

They are NOT going to have parallel redundant services though. Only banks, your Amazon, Google, Microsoft, NYSE, IBM, large Datacenter hostings generally have parallel redundancy. The hardware, cabling, and power infrastructure for such systems is largely outside the scope of game companies.

However, I have not read anywhere exactly what the issue was, but since it affected all services my inclination is power related. They will likely have some sort of UPS powering the infrastructure so it must have been a serious outage.

Just a guess, but yeah all these people asking about redundant services have no idea of the price tag on such an undertaking. As the project lead for the NYSE mirror site, I know a thing or two about datacenters.
  • Options
    dagger711dagger711 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    intelligence check *rolls 1.........wondering whats up with servers atm
  • Options
    kharnagexkharnagex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 211 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    jonjoniii wrote: »
    Ah the good old days when Ultima Online was the coolest thing ever!!! LOL

Ultima Online Ruled!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kaiden07kaiden07 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is there an ETA on the maintenance?
  • Options
    fearthehydrasfearthehydras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Be nice, fearthehydras.

New frontiers can be disorienting.

I was being nice, just sarcastically so. I was merely hoping to bridge the gap, alleviate the stress of modernization.

<-- plays RPGs with pencils too