test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Weapon gained from founders pack is to OP

Comments

• dcoy1dcoy1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Why is Play to win bad?

Just to be clear I'm wayyy off topic because I am not commenting on the starter weapon at all anywhere in this thread. But to answer you. Its bad because it doesn't promote interaction, doesn't help the game succeed long term, and maybe most important, how is it fun?

For example look at a comment like this "How do you compete with that when you have to work and end up with a couple of hours of recreation time per night?". A sentiment which I've seen a lot on these forums. But the real question is WHY do you compete? Its odd that people who are against a challenging, progressive end game and pro P2W can't follow their own advice. Just play the game and enjoy it.

P.S. using the word "compete" implies that there are winners and losers )).
  • skittlelolzskittlelolz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Obvious troll is obvious. That weapon gets outclass around level 18 - 20 and before that it still takes skill and effort to take down mobs. It only makes the first 10 levels easy, which is already pretty easier no matter what weapon you use.

Try harder OP.
  • soiledostrichsoiledostrich Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    micdarau wrote: »
    So the weapon you get from them founders pack it has to much dmg!
    Even at lvl 35 I didnt haved such a weapon..
    This game is lame with this weapon, face roll everithing..

Sounds like you totally needed to learn the ropes a bit better. I had a higher DPS weapon I found well before level 29 when I stopped for the wipe.
  • fexhiefexhie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    While I agree with your post in general...having used the greycloak weapon, I'm starting to think of it as an early-game XP potion (I'm only level 18, so no opinion on the box for 60 yet - I assume it's fairly generic gear, though, and nowhere near the best). Unless your definition of P2W includes "going faster through levels 1-(maybe, if you have luck as bad as me with getting a good weapon)17," you're not really getting any game-changer.

Not saying the Greycloak weapon isn't a bit OP, but I am saying it's no more p2w than an xp potion in other games (such as my original MMO, DDO). In all honesty, I see it more as a reward aimed at those who've likely done low-level characters multiple times in beta and want to get to levels they haven't necessarily done as much a bit faster, but that's just my opinion on it.

Edit: I just got a good upgrade from it out of a quest reward. >_>

Sorry I was not really referring to the OP weapon, It was more a reference to the person who wants games to be pay to win. The only serious problem I have with the ridiculous weapon for 1 to 20 or so is that it sets a bad example for things that will more than likely happen in the future. It is like ok! So if we can get away with selling this item that will make it so that you don't even have to bother picking up loot till your 16 for 100 dollars then we can probably sell a lvl 50 weapon with double the highest lvl 50 weapon currently in games dps for 200 dollars!

And for the guy who thinks pay to win is cool and fair because they don't have time, all I can say is that I am so tired of hearing that complaint from people who just not willing to put in the effort to make their characters better. If you want instant gratification please stay away from rpg's in general, it is attitudes like that that are ruining the genre.
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dcoy1 wrote: »
    Just to be clear I'm wayyy off topic because I am not commenting on the starter weapon at all anywhere in this thread. But to answer you. Its bad because it doesn't promote interaction, doesn't help the game succeed long term, and maybe most important, how is it fun?

For example look at a comment like this "How do you compete with that when you have to work and end up with a couple of hours of recreation time per night?". A sentiment which I've seen a lot on these forums. But the real question is WHY do you compete? Its odd that people who are against a challenging, progressive end game and pro P2W can't follow their own advice. Just play the game and enjoy it.

P.S. using the word "compete" implies that there are winners and losers )).

Its fun because I like cool gear but don't have hours to spend farming for it and frankly I don't want to join guilds just to do endless end game runs for 'leet' gear. How is that fun? It's much simpler to pay 20 or 30 bucks for some cool piece of gear and then play than spend wasted hours and hours to get the same gear.

And frankly the person who does spend hours and hours farming for some leet piece of gear in a F2P game doesn't contribute anything positive to keeping the game open. They use game resources for those hours and hours and basically do nothing to keep money flowing into the coffers of the game developer or publisher. After all they didn't put the game out and keep it running just because their that nice. They did it to make money and the F2P person who doesn't buy anything doesn't help with that.

Oh yes they do add to the people to interact but really thats it. They are not paying anything to keep the game running and thus not contributing long term to the game staying open.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    fexhie wrote: »
    Sorry I was not really referring to the OP weapon, It was more a reference to the person who wants games to be pay to win. The only serious problem I have with the ridiculous weapon for 1 to 20 or so is that it sets a bad example for things that will more than likely happen in the future. It is like ok! So if we can get away with selling this item that will make it so that you don't even have to bother picking up loot till your 16 for 100 dollars then we can probably sell a lvl 50 weapon with double the highest lvl 50 weapon currently in games dps for 200 dollars!

And for the guy who thinks pay to win is cool and fair because they don't have time, all I can say is that I am so tired of hearing that complaint from people who just not willing to put in the effort to make their characters better. If you want instant gratification please stay away from rpg's in general, it is attitudes like that that are ruining the genre.

Oh right I work 11 hours a day come home and collapse and then maybe 2 or 3 nights a week get a chance to login for maybe 2 or 3 hours with another 3 - 6 on the weekend occasionally. That is real life.

And frankly it's the claim that endless running of the same material over and over and over again that has heavily damaged RPG games. They didn't used to require that massive endless farming for special gear except in games that charged by the hour. But people got trained to chase the shiny and learned to grind over and over for things but really it isn't fun and frankly sucks as a design plan.

And you aren't explaining in free game how is the business supposed to make money? Because frankly the game publisher and studio are not in this for the goodness of their heart but instead to make money. And if they are not making money then they won't keep the game open because there isn't anything in it for them.

Given that reality it seems perfectly logical to sell nice stuff.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    I don't care how much you work. That has nothing to do with anything for anyone other than yourself. Please stop telling us what a good little drone you are. MMO's and good RPG's in general consist of redundant activities, making those activities fun is the mark of a good game. Saying you find doing them mindless and boring and not fun is saying you either don't like the game or do not like how rpg's are played in general. If you want to play a FPS or a pogo.com game or that terrible gw2 rpg where everyone is exactly the same then please feel free to go play those games and leave RPG's to people who actually enjoy them.
    edited April 2013
    I don't care how much you work. That has nothing to do with anything for anyone other than yourself. Please stop telling us what a good little drone you are. MMO's and good RPG's in general consist of redundant activities, making those activities fun is the mark of a good game. Saying you find doing them mindless and boring and not fun is saying you either don't like the game or do not like how rpg's are played in general. If you want to play a FPS or a pogo.com game or that terrible gw2 rpg where everyone is exactly the same then please feel free to go play those games and leave RPG's to people who actually enjoy them.

I found that sort of farming boring even back in the 90's. But you seem to be a good drone pushing the dead end concept that farming endlessly is good. Frankly I've played MMO's for decades now. I watched UO start and was playing MMO online before then.

You don't seem to have a solid grasp of what makes a good game at all. Let alone have any concept of what keeps a game running and online. As I said how does a game that doesn't charge any money stay in business?

And what can a game charge for that people will be willing to buy regularly?

If the game is going to stay open any length of time those questions have to be answered. How are they making money off of a free to play game?

And frankly to tip that devil's advocate hat I've been wearing a bit you haven't provided any solid reason other than you don't like it... And you have provided no answer on how the game should make money. It has to make money and frankly I wouldn't object to them making it buy selling something useful.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I don't care how much you work. That has nothing to do with anything for anyone other than yourself.

You are the one who is sits here and complains. The game allows you to either achieve and get everything by playing a lot, or by sometimes spending money on a boost here or there, to keep up. That is how this game works. You have the choice here, and sorry, just having 12+ hours a day to play video games won't make you "better" in Neverwinter. At best, it will make you "as good". The crack-addiction styled MMOs like WoW, where you MUST play (and pay) a lot, ruin your social life and jeopardize your job have never been healthy. (Not that you can't do that here too. But you don't HAVE to).
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
    edited April 2013
    Oh right I work 11 hours a day come home and collapse and then maybe 2 or 3 nights a week get a chance to login for maybe 2 or 3 hours with another 3 - 6 on the weekend occasionally. That is real life.

And frankly it's the claim that endless running of the same material over and over and over again that has heavily damaged RPG games. They didn't used to require that massive endless farming for special gear except in games that charged by the hour. But people got trained to chase the shiny and learned to grind over and over for things but really it isn't fun and frankly sucks as a design plan.

And you aren't explaining in free game how is the business supposed to make money? Because frankly the game publisher and studio are not in this for the goodness of their heart but instead to make money. And if they are not making money then they won't keep the game open because there isn't anything in it for them.

Given that reality it seems perfectly logical to sell nice stuff.

To remark on your paragraph about how rpg's used to be... I don't think you know what the heck your talking about. Name me some of these RPG"s that did not involve grinding, or any rpg ever that charged by the hour. Maybe those games existed in countries outside the USA and I never heard of them. But in general it is the exact opposite, games used to have depth, battle systems were full of strategy and you had 10 different kinds of things to level up besides just your character. These games are just not made anymore, modern rpgs are more like action games with a leveling system.

In response to your comment about it being a free game. That says it all FREE GAME. They decided to base their game off of a free distribution model. Just like it is someones choice to decide not to tip a waiter who did a good job serving them. I personally do not like the FTP model in general, but because i like the game I will still play it. I MAY end up spending some money on it, but I am going to try not to. If there was a sub fee that included things like more character slots/inventory space and things like that then I would definately sub. But other than that I will be very selective about what I spend money on. I am willing to support the game, I am not willing to spend copious amounts of money on a video just because it is ftp and needs the support.
    edited April 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    You are the one who is sits here and complains. The game allows you to either achieve and get everything by playing a lot, or by sometimes spending money on a boost here or there, to keep up. That is how this game works. You have the choice here, and sorry, just having 12+ hours a day to play video games won't make you "better" in Neverwinter. At best, it will make you "as good". The crack-addiction styled MMOs like WoW, where you MUST play (and pay) a lot, ruin your social life and jeopardize your job have never been healthy. (Not that you can't do that here too. But you don't HAVE to).

You know I was hoping one of these folk would realize that since I have been playing devils advocate with the P2W crowd. I mean anyone who want to farm Astral Diamonds and sell them on the market can buy Zen which they can then turn around and buy stuff for without Paying. So if mindlessly farming is really their thing they can do that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    imivo wrote: »

I don't have as much of an issue with people buying things that other people can get, outside of competitive things like pvp based gear anyway. It is selling stuff that is better than what people can obtain, especially when they sell it in "packs" making it so that only incredibly rich people or people who won't be able to afford their rent next month because they spent it all trying to get a lucky draw of the MEGAXXSUPERAWESOMERAREEXTREME sword out of the pack.

And I am not complaining. I am giving my point of view.
    edited April 2013
    To remark on your paragraph about how rpg's used to be... I don't think you know what the heck your talking about. Name me some of these RPG"s that did not involve grinding, or any rpg ever that charged by the hour. Maybe those games existed in countries outside the USA and I never heard of them. But in general it is the exact opposite, games used to have depth, battle systems were full of strategy and you had 10 different kinds of things to level up besides just your character. These games are just not made anymore, modern rpgs are more like action games with a leveling system.

In response to your comment about it being a free game. That says it all FREE GAME. They decided to base their game off of a free distribution model. Just like it is someones choice to decide not to tip a waiter who did a good job serving them. I personally do not like the FTP model in general, but because i like the game I will still play it. I MAY end up spending some money on it, but I am going to try not to. If there was a sub fee that included things like more character slots/inventory space and things like that then I would definately sub. But other than that I will be very selective about what I spend money on. I am willing to support the game, I am not willing to spend copious amounts of money on a video just because it is ftp and needs the support.

It is free for the base game but why on earth do you think that base game entitles you to the whole game experience? Really feel entitled much?

Simutronics games - Gemstone III & Dragonrealms used to be by the hour as was the original text MMO Neverwinter Nights. Kingdom of Drakkar, Island of kesmai, in 1994 or 1995 AOL shifted from the hourly connect charges to monthly and then shed the games it had at the time which had been paid by the hour. Around 1995 or 1996 the Simutronics ones went to monthly charges and disassociated themselves from AOL. Kingdom of Drakkar moved to MSN and a monthly charge. In 1996 Dark sun came out monthly followed in 1997 by Ultima Online as a monthly title. From that point on games came out with a monthly charge.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    well if people are having problems paying their rent and choosing to spend their money on a video game....

Seems some peoples priorities are a bit twisted, don't you think ?
  • chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    lichlament wrote: »
    well if people are having problems paying their rent and choosing to spend their money on a video game....

YOLO, baby! :D
    edited April 2013

They should have played back in the days of Compuserv, Genii, AOL hourly rates. Back then people could rack up online bills of $2000 - $6000 playing online games in one month.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • antonislakantonislak Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    rly??? and this game is not p2w? i would like to see the stats of this weapon if anyone can show
    edited April 2013

I agree lol, I am just trying to enforce that FTP is a gimmick I could do without. I don't think it ends up being a good thing, just like I don't think heroin is a good thing >.<

As far as being entitled to the full game for free...why yes, yes I am. Because they are giving it to me, and other people are the ones that are going to be paying the cost of that. That is how the free to play model is set up. You being angry about it won't change anything, that is how they are distributing the game. Personally I much prefer buying a game and paying a monthly fee for it, like I said before.
  • vampuricknightvampuricknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited April 2013
    just fyi i'm level 21 or so and i'm already planning on switching my items out asap tommorrow (today for me) it did make me feel op when i was like level 10 and under but you quickly realise the weapons matters less and less and less as you level up. P2W requires an actual opponet that matters not AI at most it makes leveling minimaly quicker and that is it. Definately not OP . (already have the ability to make better items than what i have... i'm just really lazy)
    edited April 2013
    They should have played back in the days of Compuserv, Genii, AOL hourly rates. Back then people could rack up online bills of $2000 - $6000 playing online games in one month.

I played online games during that time and I played through free connections like NetZero.
  • wruntjuniorwruntjunior Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 55
    edited April 2013
    I have to say, the thing that's made me most sad so far...with Guardian and Hero both, I can't get two greycloak daggers on my rogue. :(
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I feel like levels 1-19 have been like a Monty Hall Campaign.........AND I LOVE IT.

Keep the weapons OP, it makes the boring levels go bye quick and only the FOunders will have it anyway. You can also choose not to use them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • aurennaurenn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The weapon is OP, good up until level 20 which is when you get your mount.
  • wruntjuniorwruntjunior Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 55
    edited April 2013
    aurenn wrote: »
    The weapon is OP, good up until level 20 which is when you get your mount.

I found it easily replaceable by green items around level 18 - a blue could probably replace it faster.

I'd honestly be more concerned about what's in the purple box (has anyone gotten to 60 yet to see what's in it?). :P
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I played online games during that time and I played through free connections like NetZero.

No, you didn't. Netzero and such did not exist at that time when CompuServe and AOL were in their prime. I did play back then, when it cost $12 an hour to play Legends/Isle of Kesmai on a 1200bps connection. I worked for a company that provided a sponsored account, so I only had virtual bills (in the thousands, which I could never have afforded). This was before "the web" emerged, and five or six years before Netzero was even founded.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
    edited April 2013
    just fyi i'm level 21 or so and i'm already planning on switching my items out asap tommorrow (today for me) it did make me feel op when i was like level 10 and under but you quickly realise the weapons matters less and less and less as you level up. P2W requires an actual opponet that matters not AI at most it makes leveling minimaly quicker and that is it. Definately not OP . (already have the ability to make better items than what i have... i'm just really lazy)

I think it is definately overpowered for lvl 1 which is when you can start using it right? P2W can also refer to PVE content, for instance using items from cash shops in an endgame dungeon that would normally require some hardship with items that you got from playing the game before actually getting the items from the dungeon in question. But I do agree that it is much less of an issue than it is in pve than pvp because it does not really affect people who are not in the group with people who paid for their items, unless you want to include bragging rights.
  • vampuricknightvampuricknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited April 2013
    I found it easily replaceable by green items around level 18 - a blue could probably replace it faster.

I'd honestly be more concerned about what's in the purple box (has anyone gotten to 60 yet to see what's in it?). :P

Its probably just a useless items from the cloak of useless items that has unlimited uses... like a d 20 you can keep rolling for no real reason
  • deahamletdeahamlet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I chose to not use it until about level 16-17. I did level to 40+ in betas but I still wanted to develop good tactics and playstyle with my character from get-go and try the abilities I ignored during betas. With that weapon all I had to do was press LEFT button on my mouse and they'd be dead. No, thanx.
    It's nice now without being one hit kills.

I think they should have programmed a weapon that scales with your character. But eh, it's alright either way.
  • faiteaccompliifaiteaccomplii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    Stop whining.
  • elimin3elimin3 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Honestly, if you didn't have a better weapon, you must be quite sad.

This weapon, even offed at 15, and lasted most till 20. Pvp makes everyone 19 and boosts stats, so that is a silly point.

Like others said, if you don't like it, don't use. But please... get a clue.
    "It is our responsibilities, not ourselves, that we should take seriously." Peter Ustinov