test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PTW? am I missing spmething?

maddmojomaddmojo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I really want to like this game but from what I have read it seems to be one of the worst offenders of pay to win yet. If i can get my toon everything it needs just by buying it then whats the point?

I hope Ive just missed somthing but when i hear that its ok they charge 40 bucks for a mount because it would take forever to get a mount earned in game to level 3 i just cringe.
Post edited by maddmojo on

Comments

• ravenrabbitravenrabbit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    It isn't pay to win.
  • zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    OP it sounds like you might be missing something. :confused:
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2013
    Seriously, if you're going to talk about P2W, the least serious of your concerns should be the mounts, and even the most serious concerns (resurrection scrolls) have already been addressed.
  • vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    When did paying to reduce time investment become p2w? I swear terms just keep a changing in the mmo world. Pretty soon logging in will be a grind, and any attempt to recoup costs with be p2w, greed, or some awful thing. I suppose the growing sense of entitlement marches on...

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • colhatickcolhatick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    technically there is no competition since there isnt anything like progression raiding which means you aren't actually getting an advantage at anything even if you were able to buy things like gear. PvP also doesn't count because there are no ranked arenas.
  • fgfghfjkhfkfffgfghfjkhfkff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    $40 for a mount = Pay to win...
    My friend, you are in fact missing something.
    There is nothing in the cash shop we can't earn by playing the game free of charge. You earn AD, turn those into Zen, buy the apparently super op mount of victory. So far it seems here in NW, you play to win.

-Good day
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My spider of awesomesauce is so pay to win.
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    $40 for a mount = Pay for Convenience

Fixed it for you.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Troll. Nothing to see here.
  • maddmojomaddmojo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The mount was just one example. From reading the forums i also gathered you could pay to increase crafting as well as companions which i gather are used in combat?

If it gives you an ingame benefit, other than cosmetic, and circumvents the time it normally takes to get that benefit... Well isnt that paying to win?
  • maddmojomaddmojo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    zovya wrote: »
    Troll. Nothing to see here.

I am not a troll. Just new to the game with a legitimate question/concern
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    maddmojo wrote: »
    The mount was just one example. From reading the forums i also gathered you could pay to increase crafting as well as companions which i gather are used in combat?

If it gives you an ingame benefit, other than cosmetic, and circumvents the time it normally takes to get that benefit... Well isnt that paying to win?

Not really. The things you described are Pay for Convenience. Pay to Win would be, items are capped at +2 from drops/crafting but for 2000 Zen you can buy a +6 item.

Everyone can easily earn Astral Diamonds from in game events. Everyone can trade their AD to players (via an AD Exchange) for Zen. Everyone can earn free Zen via Offers (see my green text sig). Pay 2 Win would never allow in game means to obtain said items.

Companions are used in game for combat, yes. At level 16 you'll get a quest to talk to a person to get a common companion. This companion will have a mex level of 15. There are 3 items, without a current currency or price, that allows anyone to upgrade any common - rare companion to epic. white to green, green to blue, blue to purple.

common - white (max level 15)
    uncommon - green (max level 20)
    rare - blue (max level 25)
    epic - purple (max level 30)
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

edited April 2013
    jetah wrote: »
    Not really. The things you described are Pay for Convenience. Pay to Win would be, items are capped at +2 from drops/crafting but for 2000 Zen you can buy a +6 item.

Everyone can easily earn Astral Diamonds from in game events. Everyone can trade their AD to players (via an AD Exchange) for Zen. Everyone can earn free Zen via Offers (see my green text sig). Pay 2 Win would never allow in game means to obtain said items.

Companions are used in game for combat, yes. At level 16 you'll get a quest to talk to a person to get a common companion. This companion will have a mex level of 15. There are 3 items, without a current currency or price, that allows anyone to upgrade any common - rare companion to epic. white to green, green to blue, blue to purple.

common - white (max level 15)
    uncommon - green (max level 20)
    rare - blue (max level 25)
    epic - purple (max level 30)

I appreciate the info, I guess I am just used to more traditional MMO's where time invested is everything.
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Let me ask this, how does me buying something to quicken the pace at which I accomplish things in PvE affect your enjoyment of the game? See P2W doesn't exist in PvE, so your point is really moot. Now, if Cryptic offers up enhancements that give me a leg up over someone who can't afford it in PvP, then the P2W argument is valid, as I do have a direct affect of your enjoyment of the game.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited April 2013
    If you think this game is Pay to Win, you have a serious misconception about the meaning of the words "pay" and "win".
  • gertona2gertona2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 60
    edited April 2013
    From what I've seen in the CS the only "pay2win" items are those that speed up progression.
    Yes, you can buy a faster mount, but it's not like you need it. And you can earn them by playing.
    You can buy boosters that make crafting more convenient, but you still need to collect most materials yourself anyway.
    There are items to guarantee success of upgrading item enhancements, but as you get a gazillion item enhancements anyway, it doesn't really matter.
    Yes, there are some really nice companions, but companions are not what will change failure to success, at least not for a skilled player, and you can get companions that are (arguably) equally good from playing the game. I used a healing companion to top me off between fights, and rarely used pots on neither trickster rogue or control wizard. Pots drop often as well and i had more than 100 extra when i entered each new tier. Fighters will probably have to use more pots though.
    The one item that seems too strong in my opinion is the health stone that fully heals a character, has no cooldown and 200 charges. But then again, if i needed that to succeed in a group or solo I would look at what i can do better (or find a new healer for the party). It just wouldn't be fun without the risk of death.
    However, having to pay for a respec in a game that wants you to customize and experiment is stupid. Yes, really awful and stupid.

So, i wouldn't say it's pay to win, it makes the game convenient for those who don't have time to play as much (or feel like spending more money) and helps those who may want to play more "casually" than I do.

I bought my HotN for the mount skin and to support the developers to make the game even more fun, the Foundry is amazing and it's great fun to design your own levels and quests and will hopefully help this game stay alive a long time. Odds are that I will never buy anything from the cash store unless I traded AD (an in-game currency earned by doing quests etc.) for the CS currency.
    Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!
    edited April 2013
    maddmojo wrote: »
    I appreciate the info, I guess I am just used to more traditional MMO's where time invested is everything.

You can still play to win. just remember that there is a zen store and that it will take f2p people longer to obtain what they desire. Everyone can get free Zen via the offers link in my sig.

• sepheresephere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's true that the rich people could buy their way through the game if they wanted, though it's more about convenience than anything,
    converting zen to ad (after release they're supposed to have a zen exchange system similar to gw2 I think),
    but the f2p players can also earn ad, albit much more slowly.

You can get weapons and armor from just killing things,
    and as far as I know, they're not selling overpowered weapons/armor in the cash shop,
    nor do they plan to;
    and I think they mentioned that the cash shop would be convenience only (though we'll have to see how that stands up after release).

Of course the very best horses and companions are in the cash shop, but you don't really need the best horses/companions to be great at the game.
    Horses don't really matter to much to actual gameplay, it's just easier to travel faster to places,
    and you can buy better horses with ad too.
    (You can also get free versions of horses/companions with gold/quests,
    so no need to worry about not getting any).

Though what worries me is that everything seems to cost ad,
    but hardly anything cost gold (the main currency you get from quests/monsters).
    You can get ad every hour you play, but if everything is going to cost ad (even the auction house),
    than it's probably going to be hella grindy for the f2p people and
    other people who didn't purchase the packs with millions of ad in them.
    Though no one else seems to be concerned about this, though,
    it seems like something that could be concerning, especially after the release of the game.
  • timm4444timm4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 363
    edited April 2013
    sephere wrote: »
    It's true that the rich people could buy their way through the game if they wanted, though it's more about convenience than anything,
    converting zen to ad (after release they're supposed to have a zen exchange system similar to gw2 I think),
    but the f2p players can also earn ad, albit much more slowly.

You can get weapons and armor from just killing things,
    and as far as I know, they're not selling overpowered weapons/armor in the cash shop,
    nor do they plan to;
    and I think they mentioned that the cash shop would be convenience only (though we'll have to see how that stands up after release).

Of course the very best horses and companions are in the cash shop, but you don't really need the best horses/companions to be great at the game.
    Horses don't really matter to much to actual gameplay, it's just easier to travel faster to places,
    and you can buy better horses with ad too.
    (You can also get free versions of horses/companions with gold/quests,
    so no need to worry about not getting any).

Though what worries me is that everything seems to cost ad,
    but hardly anything cost gold (the main currency you get from quests/monsters).
    You can get ad every hour you play, but if everything is going to cost ad (even the auction house),
    than it's probably going to be hella grindy for the f2p people and
    other people who didn't purchase the packs with millions of ad in them.
    Though no one else seems to be concerned about this, though,
    it seems like something that could be concerning, especially after the release of the game.

Because it's not a concern.

Last beta weekend I capped the daily AD refine limit of 24,000 in seven concurrent hours played time on my level 50 GF. ( this is nothing special either, I talked to some people that did it in even less time. )

So say a player that spent $0 on this game but played enough to cap both free character slots daily. they would receive 48k AD.

Now factor in the exchange rate of AD to ZEN at 500to1 ( the max available that Cryptic allows I believe. ) ( and I am using the max just for the sake of argument, I personally believe it will hover around 200-250 to 1) that player gets 96 zen daily just from the AD refine limit.

So.

96 zen daily.

672 zen weekly

2688 zen monthly.

that is not factoring in the AD one can get by playing the AH, whether by selling dungeon drops,
    ( which as of BW4 where 100% bind on equip ) seal equipment, or crafted armor that one has to get from crafters ( pants, shirts, and bracers. )
    edited April 2013
    timm4444 wrote: »
    Because it's not a concern.

Last beta weekend I capped the daily AD refine limit of 24,000 in seven concurrent hours played time on my level 50 GF. ( this is nothing special either, I talked to some people that did it in even less time. )

So say a player that spent $0 on this game but played enough to cap both free character slots daily. they would receive 48k AD.

Now factor in the exchange rate of AD to ZEN at 500to1 ( the max available that Cryptic allows I believe. ) ( and I am using the max just for the sake of argument, I personally believe it will hover around 200-250 to 1) that player gets 96 zen daily just from the AD refine limit.

So.

96 zen daily.

672 zen weekly

2688 zen monthly.

that is not factoring in the AD one can get by playing the AH, whether by selling dungeon drops,
    ( which as of BW4 where 100% bind on equip ) seal equipment, or crafted armor that one has to get from crafters ( pants, shirts, and bracers. )

But how did you make that much ad, I mean you only get about 400 an hour at max with praying at an altar (unless that was bugged or something),
    if you don't play the game too many hours, I don't see how casual players can make that much.
    Unless you got ad from a pack or zen?
    I just wish that more things would cost gold instead of ad, there didn't seem to be that much to use gold on anyway.
    It just worries me that every new system they have, costs ad, when it seemed hard to earn ingame, at least for me.
  • timm4444timm4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 363
    edited April 2013
    one can get Rough AD from other sources than praying. . .

Praying is probably the worst way to generate AD in the game Atm.
    edited April 2013
    one can get Rough AD from other sources than praying. . .

Praying is probably the worst way to generate AD in the game Atm.

What other sources than, I mean other than playing the AH and zen,
    there didn't seem to be any others, other than praying every hour?
  • xhatchxhatch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's actually Play to Win...
    sig2dz.jpg
    :cool:PLAY TO WIN:cool: |"A light in the darkness."
    |
    edited April 2013
    What other sources than, I mean other than playing the AH and zen,
    there didn't seem to be any others, other than praying every hour?

The internet is your friend, try talking to him. . .
    edited April 2013
    The internet is your friend, try talking to him. . .

Or you know, you could answer me, since I was talking to you...but never mind.
    I played in bwe3 but those seemed to be the only ways,
    if there aren't any other ways for f2p players to make ad
    (since the devs seem to insist on making this the main currency, even though it should be gold), I don't see them staying too long
    edited April 2013
    Or you know, you could answer me, since I was talking to you...but never mind.
    I played in bwe3 but those seemed to be the only ways,
    if there aren't any other ways for f2p players to make ad
    (since the devs seem to insist on making this the main currency, even though it should be gold), I don't see them staying too long

Fine jeez,

One example:

Twice daily there is a hour long event where one can queue up for skirmishes and receive 1000 rough aD on completion.
    On my GW I was able to complete on average 5-6 of these in that hour. generating 5000-6000 rough AD.

that is ONE example. . .
    edited April 2013
    Fine jeez,

One example:

Twice daily there is a hour long event where one can queue up for skirmishes and receive 1000 rough aD on completion.
    On my GW I was able to complete on average 5-6 of these in that hour. generating 5000-6000 rough AD.

that is ONE example. . .

Hmm, ok that is pretty nice,
    but I never saw that event, you said it was only twice a day for one hour?
    It seems that it would be easy to miss, for most people,
    so sorry if I didn't see such a thing.
    Thanks for taking the time to give an example, though, I appreciate it.
    I guess I'll have to wait till release to judge the ad problem again, still seems a bit iffy.
    edited April 2013
    Hmm, ok that is pretty nice,
    but I never saw that event, you said it was only twice a day for one hour?
    It seems that it would be easy to miss, for most people,
    so sorry if I didn't see such a thing.
    Thanks for taking the time to give an example, though, I appreciate it.
    I guess I'll have to wait till release to judge the ad problem again, still seems a bit iffy.

Ok I kinda answered you. please answer me this.

Did you ever explore the menu that you get when you hit the "L" key??
    edited April 2013
    Ok I kinda answered you. please answer me this.

Did you ever explore the menu that you get when you hit the "L" key??

Hmm, no, mainly the quests menu, character/inventory, and skirmish menu (when I needed to do one),
    I didn't really explore all the menus so maybe I missed something?
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hmm, no, mainly the quests menu, character/inventory, and skirmish menu (when I needed to do one),
    I didn't really explore all the menus so maybe I missed something?
    yes a lot....
    btw i wont even care about daily cap i will just sell gear which will get 100k+ price fast :)