test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Clarification about Drow in Hero of the North Packs

Comments

• astralechoastralecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    For anyone else who was confused by the wording in the FAQ as to whether or not HotN players would have access to vanilla Drow during the 60-day period, or only Menzo renegades, I asked Sominator about this on Twitter.

Everyone has to wait for Vanilla Drow, HotN players included. So the only Drow that will be available at launch will be the Menzo Renegade variety, specific to HotN players.
    astralsig.png
    -= Dark Star Syndicate - Heavy RP, Dark Themes =-
    WebsiteRecruitment
  • elminbanelminban Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Does anyone know if Borg was supposed to be founders only in STO? It's been so long since I bought it and played it I do not want to be mistaken before I comment. However, it sounds like Borg was like this at STO launch with founders only (and why I spent the bucks to have Borg) but someone posted that everyone gets Borg now. So if Borg was founders or lifetime only (I remember spending $299 and having a lifetime account the rest eludes me) and now is open to all players it looks shady for the Renegade Drow on Cryptic's part as well. We may all get the option in a year or so.
    2.jpg
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    astralecho wrote: »
    For anyone else who was confused by the wording in the FAQ as to whether or not HotN players would have access to vanilla Drow during the 60-day period, or only Menzo renegades, I asked Sominator about this on Twitter.

Everyone has to wait for Vanilla Drow, HotN players included. So the only Drow that will be available at launch will be the Menzo Renegade variety, specific to HotN players.

If this is the case it actually makes a helluvalot more sense overall. Though I understood (by my own deductive reasoning) that the HoN costume was just that: a *COSTUME* for the vanilla Drow. However, if it's treated as a separate race and the "vanilla" Drow is on hold - that makes sense to me. Fair or not is a relative matter and subjective, but making sense is undeniable.
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Not that it matters but I no longer trust this company. All the bad press I've read over the years from Cryptic and Perfect World are now true from my perspective because they are putting short term monetization over the wishs and needs of the consumer.

I tell you this right now. I have had several days to think about this ill fated plan and I will not support the company with another red cent. EVER! Chances are I am going to be playing a race I had no intention of playing and will not even go back and make a Drow, out of spite, and as soon as ESO comes out I am gone. Not a threat its a promise and you can ban me do what you will on these forums but this is single handidly the most stupidist decision of an MMO company in my 14+ years .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • firesnakeariesfiresnakearies Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    this is single handidly the most stupidist decision of an MMO company in my 14+ years .

I, for one, am convinced.
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Not that it matters but I no longer trust this company. All the bad press I've read over the years from Cryptic and Perfect World are now true from my perspective because they are putting short term monetization over the wishs and needs of the consumer.

I tell you this right now. I have had several days to think about this ill fated plan and I will not support the company with another red cent. EVER! Chances are I am going to be playing a race I had no intention of playing and will not even go back and make a Drow, out of spite, and as soon as ESO comes out I am gone. Not a threat its a promise and you can ban me do what you will on these forums but this is single handidly the most stupidist decision of an MMO company in my 14+ years .
    I'll quote you if you remain here after ESO.

Altough I consider not very bright to stick here is you distrust/hate Cryptic/PW so much. Even if you already spent some money on it. If I haven't visited Bethesda forums in years is not because I don't know how to find them...
  • crepiduscrepidus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ummm yeah, so I paid money expecting to be able to play a drow trickster rogue at launch as my main and have an elf control mage as my ault and now it appears I'll have to wait 2 more months to do that. Not too mention having to wait until Cryptic decides to grace us with the other races and classes that the community wants to play ( ranger, paladin,etc.). Dunno if I'll have the patience to wait that long if I can play ESO and create anything I want right from the get go. I think I'll be asking for a refund.
  • bedroomjesusbedroomjesus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0
    edited February 2013
    Why would you pay money expecting all that stuff? Sounds like your own fault. The Guardian pack says nothing about hat you expected. I wouldn't count on a refund.
  • dreamo1984dreamo1984 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    crepidus wrote: »
    Ummm yeah, so I paid money expecting to be able to play a drow trickster rogue at launch as my main and have an elf control mage as my ault and now it appears I'll have to wait 2 more months to do that. Not too mention having to wait until Cryptic decides to grace us with the other races and classes that the community wants to play ( ranger, paladin,etc.). Dunno if I'll have the patience to wait that long if I can play ESO and create anything I want right from the get go. I think I'll be asking for a refund.

Oh ya? ESO gives you all the races for free? I didn't know they decided on a F2P model, breaking news right here.

And no, your Guardian pack wasn't buying the game. You knew specifically what your guardian pack granted you.
  • elminbanelminban Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    dreamo1984 wrote: »
    Oh ya? ESO gives you all the races for free? I didn't know they decided on a F2P model, breaking news right here.

And no, your Guardian pack wasn't buying the game. You knew specifically what your guardian pack granted you.

I know, people spend a few dollars on XTRAS for the game (not the game itself mind you) and expect to get what they want out of the game. We're all getting equally screwed at launch here, no expections!
    2.jpg
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why would you pay money expecting all that stuff? Sounds like your own fault. The Guardian pack says nothing about hat you expected. I wouldn't count on a refund.

Drow was announced as playable at launch. He bought a guardian pack under the pretense he could play drow at launch. Now they've taken that away and saying what he was told he was going to get from the game he won't. I don't see why he wouldn't get a return if he so desired. Plus the games not live yet, so the product hasn't been used, PLUS if cryptic doesn't do a return, he's still within the time frame to just do a direct chargeback through his bank. (Highly recommend not doing that unless completely necessary though.
  • exterminosexterminos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 54
    edited February 2013
    To make this big of a deal out of something cosmetic is really fanatical, not trying to pick on any person in particular, but you basically have two drows, one you get for free but have to wait for which means its probably gonna be a fair amount of people's second character, or the the one you gotta pay 200 bucks for. Either pay the money or pick another race, there is no tangible benefit to cosmetic differences, no company would shoot itself in the foot the way many expect them to.
  • dreamo1984dreamo1984 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    elminban wrote: »
    I know, people spend a few dollars on XTRAS for the game (not the game itself mind you) and expect to get what they want out of the game. We're all getting equally screwed at launch here, no expections!

They are getting everything the guardian pack stated they would get. And exactly my point, it wasn't the game itself. The game itself isn't going to include the Drow race for 60 days, the FREE game itself they never paid for.

Also, not sure if you mean "Exceptions" or "Expectations" at the end there. Kind of a cross between the two, both fit, but change the meaning greatly.
  • sh4rd27sh4rd27 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You want to be greedy? Ok I'm out. Guardian pack seems to be useless, just to give you access to the beta. That list of items is just garbage
  • thecainthecain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've already mostly weighed in my thoughts. Even posted an idea about what we COULD do to appease all parties, have a cool contest, and even have the swag of being written into D&D Lore. I think it's a bad decision, it's underhanded to yank this from people after you said it'd be in, and all it's done is bred a "HAW HAW! Look at how special WE are!" mentality from the Heroes pack buyers, while ticking off the free players that they continue to bash over this. Frankly, it's started a small civil war over one of the most iconic races in the Forgotten Realms settings.

I will not, however, be quitting this game. I'll leave that decision for what happens when I test the game out this weekend. I will always play a fun game, and support good devs who make a fair, balanced game. I just hope this isn't a precursor to buying access to new classes and races as they're released.
  • bedroomjesusbedroomjesus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0
    edited March 2013
    Although this is a unpopular decision, it will actually coincide with lore very nicely. Limiting the amount of drow first created because drow are fairly rare to be seen on the surface. Also, most people will have a grudge against Hero founders who are playing drow, which goes along with drow being a mostly hated race to surface dwellers. Should be a fun 60 days. :)
  • darknesslives613darknesslives613 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Being a D&D fan, and even more-so a FR fanatic, I was thrill to hear the development of this game, but that excitement was seriously deflated when I heard PWE would be the publishers. Period. Reason for this is simple... Cryptic, in many aspects, are a great development team, the games I've played produced by them are usually not without great graphics, gameplay and following, but the developers can only control certain aspects of how and when the game will be sold & released, whether by buy-in CBT's or early access as they all like to call it. Its ultimately up to the publishers as to what the "bottom line" for buyers will be and how much, this is where PWE f'd up some great well-developed games. The kings of cash-grab (my little nickname for PWE, lol) I think, now correct me if I'm wrong, are among some of the first FTP models to use (on chance) items in a cash shop, that chance being enhancements that run a risk of breaking forcing you to pay for more or do without. That said, honestly, I was not very surprised to see a bait and switch involving paying customers early in this games life, in the eyes of the publisher, the D&D/FR following is so massive that they would be stupid to only ask for a bit, when they can get a bunch, and its not the first time I've seen marketing tactics such as these.

So,
    ...will I play the game?
    ...Darn right I will! (dont forget, D&D fan, and even more-so a FR fanatic,lol)

...will I willing give up the equivalent of 3 full FINISHED games at 59.99, just to play early?
    ...Hellz No!

...Does excluding the Drow race and making it a privilege for 2+ mos. (I say + b/c I'm sure that will be exteneded) change my mind?
    ...For 200 buckeroonies? Hell No!

Lastly, its disheartening to see a cash grab of this magnitude happening so early in the life of a game with such great promise, b/c I can't help but think what they have in store for the cash shop once the game is live. Also, I would like to say that in light of all I have said, I still do support this game via media and such and I, like many of you hope to see Cryptic have great success with they're newest title. I just choose to ignore to the enticing offers, I'm the type of guy that doesn't pay for anything that isn't finished.

And I'm out
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Although this is a unpopular decision, it will actually coincide with lore very nicely. Limiting the amount of drow first created because drow are fairly rare to be seen on the surface. Also, most people will have a grudge against Hero founders who are playing drow, which goes along with drow being a mostly hated race to surface dwellers. Should be a fun 60 days. :)
    Being hated for supporting the game with my hard earned money and using one of the perks of my Founder's pack, while being affected by a decission I wasn't involved with (or agree with, for that matter), doesn't sound like fun.:p Not that I expect players to be rational.:p
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    shiaika wrote: »
    Not that I expect players to be rational.:p

Ain't dat da truth ;)
  • iamdoctordeathiamdoctordeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I love it when people complain about a game- and then put all their support behind a company notorious for releasing broken games and forcing the customers to make all the patches and content and bug fixes, etc... themselves.

Funniest part is- ESO's already released that they're limited races you can pick to 3 per faction- oh, guess it's time for you to throw a ragefit, because that one's not going away even after 2 months- hope your friends all like the same race you do!

Best part is- you don't even get a choice with ESO, you gotta pay them some cold hard cash to play! But- then again, when you act like a fanboi, naturally you can ignore their blatent and disgusting greed and hatred of their playerbase since you support them. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    astralecho wrote: »

That... wow. That kind of changes things, doesn't it? I know a few people on here that bought hero just to get access to the Vanilla Drow. This will be an interesting turn of events...
  • devoneauxdevoneaux Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I love it when people complain about a game- and then put all their support behind a company notorious for releasing broken games and forcing the customers to make all the patches and content and bug fixes, etc... themselves.

Funniest part is- ESO's already released that they're limited races you can pick to 3 per faction- oh, guess it's time for you to throw a ragefit, because that one's not going away even after 2 months- hope your friends all like the same race you do!

Best part is- you don't even get a choice with ESO, you gotta pay them some cold hard cash to play! But- then again, when you act like a fanboi, naturally you can ignore their blatent and disgusting greed and hatred of their playerbase since you support them. :)

What kind of argument are you trying to make? ESO is not Neverwinter Online. And while you may have to pay for ESO, the advantage there is that what you pay for is clearly outlined. You know, unlike Cryptic.
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    devoneaux wrote: »
    What kind of argument are you trying to make? ESO is not Neverwinter Online. And while you may have to pay for ESO, the advantage there is that what you pay for is clearly outlined. You know, unlike Cryptic.

Exactly. I've defended this game and this company on twitter, mmoprg.com, Zam and massively for over a year now and have done so with much zeal and vigor. Sadly it would seem that all the hate the company has garnered over things like CoH and STO debacles are in fact par for the course for the company. Which is a shame.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • iamdoctordeathiamdoctordeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    devoneaux wrote: »

Nowhere in the Guardians pack does it even MENTION drow. It DOES mention drow in the Heroes pack- specifically that you get a unique menzo ren drow race.

This is unclear how exactly?

As for why I mentioned ESO- try reading the person I quoted next time, as it's quite clear I was quoting someone who has reached epic rage levels over a 2 month drow head start for HotN- while putting his eggs in the ESO basket.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    Nowhere in the Guardians pack does it even MENTION drow. It DOES mention drow in the Heroes pack- specifically that you get a unique menzo ren drow race.

The problem we have is not the fact that the Renegade comes with the Heroes pack. I believe the problem we're all having is fact that over the past year or two that the company has constantly said that Drow would be a launch race that was free to all players. Now they're taking it out so that Heroes can feel even more special about themselves for the next 2 months.

This interrupts the All Drow Guild, the several drow players who've sought to join, and damaged the trust in the user's eyes. They want refunds because they paid believing that the company would stick to those words. They have changed them, taken from the free users, and they no longer wish to support the company for lying to their face.

That shouldn't be so hard to understand, and is a reason why I hadn't pulled out my wallet. I didn't trust the company not to do something like that, and I see I was right to do so.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Couple of thoughts on this....

The Renegade Drow was the very least reason I purchased the HoN pack, quite frankly Drow running around everywhere isn't in keeping with the PnP game (They are still a very rare site in Neverwinter or above ground according to lore) still I know it's what a lot of peopel want. But this holding off on regular Drow for 60 days? Horrible move, it's a blatant cash grab that is going to cause even more animosity and give the Cryptic haters more fuel.

Don't do this, give them their regular Drow.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • ladydwarfladydwarf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I feel for those who won't get their preferred race at launch, but we really need to stop using the phrase "cash grab" in this context. Neverwinter has no box price and no subscription fee. The developers have also made it clear they're steering away from anything that could be perceived as a "pay to win" model, ergo most of the content you pay for (or wait for, as the case may be) will be cosmetic. There's no greedy money-grubbing happening here; sale of popular vanity content will be the primary means of funding the game.

Knowing this, it shouldn't be startling that a popular race is delayed for a short while to boost sales of a starter pack. Frankly, I'm much more surprised that we get such a wide selection of races for free. EverQuest 2, for example, offers a paltry one-fifth of its race selection to those playing gratis.

As for past promises of "Drow being available at launch", if in fact such concrete promises were ever made, the "deceptive breach of trust" argument falls flat because:

1) The game is still in beta. In beta, things are subject to change.
    2) The promised content (in this case, the Drow race) is still free.

It would be a different situation if you paid for something falsely advertised, but the game itself has no cost, and the Hero of the North pack clearly advertised the renegade Drow variant, not the base race. It's very difficult to buy into the idea that you've been wronged somehow because the developers and/or publishers changed their minds about when they'll give you a certain piece of free content.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Learn more about this heretical halfling on the Neverwinter Hall of Records or Neverwinter Roleplayers
    edited March 2013
    thecain wrote: »
    The problem we have is not the fact that the Renegade comes with the Heroes pack. I believe the problem we're all having is fact that over the past year or two that the company has constantly said that Drow would be a launch race that was free to all players. Now they're taking it out so that Heroes can feel even more special about themselves for the next 2 months.

This interrupts the All Drow Guild, the several drow players who've sought to join, and damaged the trust in the user's eyes. They want refunds because they paid believing that the company would stick to those words. They have changed them, taken from the free users, and they no longer wish to support the company for lying to their face.

That shouldn't be so hard to understand, and is a reason why I hadn't pulled out my wallet. I didn't trust the company not to do something like that, and I see I was right to do so.

The free users should ask for their money back then if they feel so shafted.

I've also heard a hundred times from people here that the devs have been saying forever drow would be free for everyone at launch- yet I've never actually seen someone bring up an actual dev quote of them saying that. If this is something they've been 'constantly' saying- then I'd love to see a few of these 'constantly' said quotes. At this point- this is people saying they said something without evidence to back it up, which really makes this seem like a 'well we wanted this, so we assumed it was going to be like how we wanted it to be' situation that's all to common in mmorpgs.

I'm not saying you're wrong- but, until I see something definitive I'm not just going to take the word of a bunch of angry people.

Taken from the free users... yeah, that does make sense. The company is rewarding people who give them money, which is why you don't want to give them money.

It's almost as if mmorpgs cost a lot to make and giving us everything for free won't work.

Perhaps it wasn't the wisest decision- mmo makers should know by now that mmo players are the most hysterical crybabies in the world and can blow up literally any small issue into an end of the world scenario, so giving them an easy target like this wasn't particularly bright for Cryptic.

On the other hand- two months after the game's out and onward, this issue will be utterly forgotten, and a year from now it'll be wiped from everyone's minds.

Perhaps people should start to understand this though; the game's in beta, things change. That's the case for all mmorpgs, period.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • abloecabloec Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ok so here are my 2 cents on this matter.

Like some other people have said this is a game still in beta, things are ALWAYS subject to change. Like others have said I have never seen a dev specifically come out and say Drow will be available at launch. In the video someone posted earlier he stated Drow would be in the game, he did not say that Drow was a race that will absolutely be in for launch.

From previous MMO's pay 2 play or otherwise I have learned to pull back from announced features and what not because like I said this is still beta and all things are subject to change. Some people claim to have played games/mmo's for up to 10 years, if this is true tbh its all on you if you are disappointed. By now you should know that things can always change, release dates, things coming into the game and so on.

The only thing I dislike about this whole situation is PW/Cryptics way of telling us that Drow would not be in the game, that I do believe was pretty low. Other than that I do believe that this is a matter of misplaced expectations. You yourself got it into your minds that Drow would be a release race, when in fact Cryptic never said it was going to be(if someone can link me a dev stating it would be please do). For all the people raging at this, from what I have seen its mainly about the fact that Drow will not be in at release rather than the way they told us.

I truly do not understand this, I say take this as a learned lesson. Do not allow yourself to build up expectations on games. Like the guy holding up TSO like the company will never do anything to disappoint the consumer base. I mean are you that ignorant to how MMO's are now a days. They release so much information that they are bound to end up disappointing the consumer base. Do not put ignorant expectations on games, you are not privy to all the information and if you are than you would more than likely not be holding up a game on a pedestal.

I really hope that people can understand that this is coming from someone who has played MMO's since UO and EQ, games WILL always change and disappoint their consumer base. The only thing I am disappointed w/ is the shifty way they told us this information.
  • wyndewynde Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So I am basically being told that my main character I plan to have in the game, I cannot play until 2 months after release UNLESS I fork out $200 to get the pack. I have already spent $60 just to be able to get in beta and a few perks. This is ****ED up! I have an entire guild planned around this character and now my plans are postponed for 60 days or $200. I have never spent that much on one game... and they call this totally free to play?
    Seyena-Signature.png

Haven's Point- Not just another guild! We are a community, a town...a family!