test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Clarification about Drow in Hero of the North Packs

Comments

• percadinpercadin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited February 2013
    nikkal wrote: »
    Please tell me where I said people are forecasting the death of the game because of the delay on drow?

What I said was that I know a guild who had been planning on making a drow RP guild here in Neverwinter. Who now won't be playing because despite having been told previously that the drow will be available at launch, are now being told the drow won't be.

There's no rage, there is no 'this game will fail' there is simply the observation that this decision is going to impact the population of the playerbase. If an entire guild that I know is reacting this way, I feel safe in assuming there will be others reacting in this way. None of them want to leave a game where they are already established to join a game 2 months in, when the current playerbase has had 2 months to settle in. And as RPers, their characters are very important to them. They were told they could be drow, so they had begun creating their characters. Now they won't be playing. The community is impacted. There are fewer players.

And I think that is never a good thing. You can say what you like about players so attached to a character concept, but I still believe that there are always going to be players who think differently than me, but they are all a part of the community. The community is made up of all kinds of people, not all of whom you are going to like. But in order to be successful, a game *needs* a thriving community. So anything that arbitrarily negatively impacts the community is not a positive thing.

Wait so a bunch of you RP players are concerned with where your character stand in comparison to other players that are playing, and not necessarily as RP players? Every game i have EVER played was better after 2 months of working out bugs and balance, etc etc. TERA did not get good reviews on release. Neither did a lot of games in the MMO sector, they ALL had problems. My point is that so many people start *****ing about the game's release and what may or may not be in the game at launch, when frankly the game doesnt even have a launch date! We have JUST had a beta weekend. We have another coming up next week, then another a few weeks after that. Then there's closed and open betas. The game is technically still in Alpha. So sit down, tell you buddies to uncrunch their panties, get into a beta weekend or something and THEN decide if you do or dont want to play the game. I played the first beta weekend and the game is tight! It needs more development and variety in things, but its fun to play! However my opinion is not yours and your 100 friends, so maybe u guys wont even like the fast paced play or layout. (this isnt NWN as far as RP aspects are concerned. I think its gonna be hard to RP in this game). But for petes sake, they havent made ANY permanent decisions on anything. Just ask Blizzard with D3 how much can change during game development. And a crapload of people paid for that game
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Sorry this is near 100% a deal breaker for me. I now have to determien whether I will spend $200 of which I was trying not to do. Sadly this is going to hurt the game i nthe long run and that is a shame. I dunno why the Renegade is not good good enough for the 200 pack and keep the regular drow open to all at start of the game. Sad news because if this hurts popularity it will hurt Foundry because of the potential to lose thousands of players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    percadin wrote: »
    I think you are full of it. People who pay 200 bucks for their packs can and should enjoy some exclusivity. You wanna play drow? The three people you know that may or may not play a free game based on the fact of availability of a race, then pay 200 bucks and play a drow to your hearts content. If not, then just play the races they let you.

I agree which is what the Menzo Renegade is supposed to do. Sadly this tells me the renegade drow is not as appealing aesthetically from the normal Drow. I really think the Menzo renegade should be more pleasing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thecainthecain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Actually, if I had to bare my soul here for the other RPers that are dorking it up on here... I have a confession as well. I'm a Drow RPer. Used the Forgotten Realms setting and everything. One of these characters was a heavily maintained main of mine: Great Sword user, a Witch Hunter. His backstory was thus: He was the last survivor of a hostile House vs. House takeover (a normal thing in Drow culture), attacking as the main company that invaded went to go home. Assassin tactics, kill the leader while they're worn, get vengeance for the fallen. He had his eyes slashed by an enchanted-venomous sword (Lloth brand), then was kicked into the deeper darkness of the Demonweb Pitts.

He survived, ending up being found by followers of Eilistraee. To make a long story short, after his recovery he was brought before the High Priestess, whom he swore his sword to. It wasn't out of love for life, or justice, though. It was out of the soul consuming hatred that made him want to butcher those that killed his family, and destroyed his house. Though, it's their hope that hatred will become Justice, purifying the evil with the light of the moon, becoming a great champion of Good.

His weapon of choice was a silver two-hand sword, becoming a hunter of evils with his mighty weapon. He lost his magics, but he gained knowledge of tools, such as throwing daggers, and alchemy. He also put to use his Drow speed and lighter armoring to duck, dodge, and clash blades with his foes. My ideal was to make a Drow Great Weapon Fighter with this information in mind. Sorry to batter you all with terrible fanfiction and whatnot. I do however feel the need to put my best foot forward, rather than just rattling off how bad an idea this is.
  • liaratsoni84liaratsoni84 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    Sorry this is near 100% a deal breaker for me. I now have to determien whether I will spend $200 of which I was trying not to do. Sadly this is going to hurt the game i nthe long run and that is a shame. I dunno why the Renegade is not good good enough for the 200 pack and keep the regular drow open to all at start of the game. Sad news because if this hurts popularity it will hurt Foundry because of the potential to lose thousands of players.

I'm upset by this too, but I won't call it a deal breaker. I'm still going to play the game, especially when drow actually come out. I am very, very wary of them now though and until I am able to play my drow wizard, I will NOT be giving them anymore of my money.

People are saying that no one should be making a big deal out of this but it IS a big deal for many people including myself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • liaratsoni84liaratsoni84 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    thecain wrote: »
    Actually, if I had to bare my soul here for the other RPers that are dorking it up on here... I have a confession as well. I'm a Drow RPer. Used the Forgotten Realms setting and everything. One of these characters was a heavily maintained main of mine: Great Sword user, a Witch Hunter. His backstory was thus: He was the last survivor of a hostile House vs. House takeover (a normal thing in Drow culture), attacking as the main company that invaded went to go home. Assassin tactics, kill the leader while they're worn, get vengeance for the fallen. He had his eyes slashed by an enchanted-venomous sword (Lloth brand), then was kicked into the deeper darkness of the Demonweb Pitts.

He survived, ending up being found by followers of Eilistraee. To make a long story short, after his recovery he was brought before the High Priestess, whom he swore his sword to. It wasn't out of love for life, or justice, though. It was out of the soul consuming hatred that made him want to butcher those that killed his family, and destroyed his house. Though, it's their hope that hatred will become Justice, purifying the evil with the light of the moon, becoming a great champion of Good.

His weapon of choice was a silver two-hand sword, becoming a hunter of evils with his mighty weapon. He lost his magics, but he gained knowledge of tools, such as throwing daggers, and alchemy. He also put to use his Drow speed and lighter armoring to duck, dodge, and clash blades with his foes. My ideal was to make a Drow Great Weapon Fighter with this information in mind. Sorry to batter you all with terrible fanfiction and whatnot. I do however feel the need to put my best foot forward, rather than just rattling off how bad an idea this is.

I, myself, am proud to be an RPer "dorking it up," lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I understand it is a problem, even if I am not going to play a drow. This could seriously hinder the game at release
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ladydwarfladydwarf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I too am a roleplayer. I've sampled various MMORPGs since 2004, and I have a strong leaning toward fantasy settings in the D&D mold. In my experience, the following rules hold true for the RP community as a whole.

1) If the game offers elves and they are pretty, they will make up the majority of the player character population.

2) If the game offers a choice between nice elves and naughty elves, the naughty elves will be the majority, and the nice elves will be second in popularity. With their combined numbers, you will encounter a heckton of elves in your RP career.

So I'm of two minds about this decision. Part of me does sympathize, knowing that a great many of my fellow RPers will be sad as they wait for their naughty elves. The other part of me remembers my experiences trying to find some semblance of regular RP with gnome, halfling and dwarf characters, and how I'd post stories about shorties on community websites, only to have them buried under a deluge of elf fiction. So while I feel for the Drow devotees, I for one will enjoy two months of naughty elf population control while I run around playing my kickass dwarf. ;)

In any case, it's not a terribly long wait.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Learn more about this heretical halfling on the Neverwinter Hall of Records or Neverwinter Roleplayers
  • joescyllajoescylla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think we all can agree on the point that this restriction on the Drow race should had communicated before they sold any packs.

As "Hero of the North" i dont care about the exclusivity of the Drow race for 2 months but i will surly enjoy that the city of Neverwinter did not turn into a Drow enclave.
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Hey folks!

Quick clarification regarding Drow in the Hero of the North Packs.

Taken straight from the newly clarified and shinily posted Extended FAQ:

"The Menzo-Renegade look, tattoo, racial background, racial ability, and special companion will remain permanently exclusive to Hero of the North Pack purchases. The vanilla, non-Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow race will be unavailable for at least first 60 days after release. We are currently planning to do a future update that will allow all players will be able to create a regular Drow character."

This means that Hero of the North Pack purchasers will have exclusive access to the Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow, but everyone will be able to create regular drow after 60 days post-launch.

Hope this is clear, and we apologize for any prior confusion. :)

This should have been made clear BEFORE the packs went on sale, right now this feels like a too little too late band aid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • seashell9seashell9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Bad decision :(

It's not about waiting or even paying 10$ for a race unock. (This game is F2P after all, so a little payment is to be expected). It's the fact that it effectively breaks down to either don't play at all for 2 months, or "waste" time on a different character with all progress and status lost once you can finally role the character you have wished for.

Paying upfront 200$ for a race is out of question, especially when things seem to change drastical everyday till launch. I'm personaly lucky since i didn't want to play a drow, but you just lost 2 friends of mine as customers.
  • infrasoundxinfrasoundx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 33
    edited February 2013
    Can't wait 60 days? Won't play because of this? You're lying. Also does it really bother you that you're not going to be from Menzo? With Triel dead there is nothing of import left in that smelly spider infested pit worth worrying about.

I like Triel because I too am short and have a crazy sister.

Also half of you will play races where other racials are more useful. Nothing to see here.
  • firesnakeariesfiresnakearies Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Speaking as a Hero of the North purchaser, I think this was a poor decision. I vote for a reversal of it. Go ahead and let everyone play Drow at launch. It'll be better that way.
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Here is my opinion. I will probably never play a drow, if I do it would be well over 2 months. I will make 2 dwarves, a human and elf before I even make a drow. My wife the one who told me about the game will make a drow, she isn't bothered with the wait either.

I feel bad because I did tell two guildies in EQ2 about drow will be at release, I felt like I lied to them. One is still going to play the other one told me she would see me in 2 months. She knows who Drizzt is but mainly she won't come over because, she has like 15 toons on eq2 that are all Dark Elves. Last night I did sweet talk her, she going to come and play a tiefling, so everything is totally cool with me.

Now I think its kind of silly to hold back drow on release myself, but since they want to keep it an exclusive for the 200dollar pack, I hope they make it exclusive and don't charge for drow at launch. I hope they keep it exclusive for two months. If they do it like that I will have respect for the company, but at launch they start selling the race 10 to 20 it will make me sad.
  • flewelling83flewelling83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Hey folks!

Quick clarification regarding Drow in the Hero of the North Packs.

Taken straight from the newly clarified and shinily posted Extended FAQ:

"The Menzo-Renegade look, tattoo, racial background, racial ability, and special companion will remain permanently exclusive to Hero of the North Pack purchases. The vanilla, non-Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow race will be unavailable for at least first 60 days after release. We are currently planning to do a future update that will allow all players will be able to create a regular Drow character."

This means that Hero of the North Pack purchasers will have exclusive access to the Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow, but everyone will be able to create regular drow after 60 days post-launch.

Hope this is clear, and we apologize for any prior confusion. :)

ok, so it still dosn't say anything about guardians, do we get the regular drow at release or not?
  • them1sterturtlethem1sterturtle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So what is the Menzo-Renegade "special companion" mentioned? Surely that isn't the panther (meaning you have to be that race to use him/her)?
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    ok, so it still dosn't say anything about guardians, do we get the regular drow at release or not?

It doesn't say anything about Guardians specifically, but it does say that NO one (including buyers of the Hero of the North Founder's Pack) gets access to "vanilla" drow race until 60 days after release. The only drow race that will be in at launch will be the Menzoberanzan Renegade (available only to Hero of the North Founder's Pack). Everybody (regardless of whether they purchase any of the packs) will have to wait 60 days to get access the "vanilla" drow race.
    You can remind people that this is a FREE game or that the devs have to pay rent all you want. It still doesn't change fact that no one has disputed that or that they're not selling this race regardless so the entire argument is a red herring and is completely pointless.

The real issue here is that regardless of what people thing about them--even the endless flood of Drizzt clones (which I also hate)--a huge segment of the population that could have been there at launch won't be there because of this boneheaded move to restrict the most popular race in the game till 60 days after launch just to make HotN pack buyers feel special about their overpriced purchase. And that will hurt the game's success at launch regardless of how people choose to feel about them.

Selling this race? Yet they'll give it to us free soon afterwords? ****, they suck at selling things.
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bobcat1313 wrote: »
    but since they want to keep it an exclusive for the 200dollar pack
    But the way to keep Menzoberranzan Renegade exclusive is by not selling it ever in the store and/or offer it in any other pack. There is no need to block the common drow from the players. My Menzoberranzan Renegade drow isn't going to feel less exclusive (supposing I cared about that) because a hundred common drows are running around me.

Are they going to restrict spider mounts (armored or not) for 60 days too? Or companions related to panthers? Altough I have read from other players that the "exclusive drow race" mistake is main reason for the drow blockade, anyone could argue that his spider mount isn't very exclusive if anyone can buy any kind of spider mount at launch.

Disclaimer: if spider mounts get restricted at launch like the common drow, I deny any responsability.
  • tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Do you have a link or source to an official statement saying that drow would be available to everyone at launch?

yeah check races page under game info guess what you see drow also see E3 2012 video by raging nerds. (google is your friend)
    the original new users FAQ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • sparrowofshadesparrowofshade Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    where does this sense of entitlement come from? the sense that cryptic has to give YOU what YOU want? i want a ranger like many others but hey, that's the breaks. i'll have to wait and roll a character when it becomes available. it sucks yeah, but the whole FR universe isn't going to be available to everyone when they want it. despite being a F2P game it is still a business and has to be viewed as such.

i'm not saying people don't have a right to be disappointed, by no means am i implying that, but we don't always get what we want when we want it. that's just a fact of life.
    edited February 2013
    where does this sense of entitlement come from? the sense that cryptic has to give YOU what YOU want? i want a ranger like many others but hey, that's the breaks. i'll have to wait and roll a character when it becomes available. it sucks yeah, but the whole FR universe isn't going to be available to everyone when they want it. despite being a F2P game it is still a business and has to be viewed as such.

i'm not saying people don't have a right to be disappointed, by no means am i implying that, but we don't always get what we want when we want it. that's just a fact of life.

Imagine if the Ranger was announced last year as a one of the starting classes avaliable at release and countless plans were made by many to be able to play. Also many interviews were done and videos hyping the class as an avaliable class at release. Then several months before release the company does a 180 and says...ooops nope, we're using the class as a marketing tactic and will not be avaliable for the first 60 days.

Tell me you wouldnt be pissed as hell! I dare you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sparrowofshadesparrowofshade Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    no, i wouldn't be "pissed as hell." being promised a raise at work and not getting it would make me pissed as hell. i'm sure our definition of pissed as hell though differs, to each their own. but i do understand your disappointment and i concur that it does suck.
  • doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    Imagine if the Ranger was announced last year as a one of the starting classes avaliable at release and countless plans were made by many to be able to play. Also many interviews were done and videos hyping the class as an avaliable class at release. Then several months before release the company does a 180 and says...ooops nope....

Substitute the word "Wizard" for "Ranger" and your fictitious example becomes lamentable fact.
  • mlukmluk Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Makes me seriously consider getting the pack. I wanna make a drow.
  • vixisynvixisyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited February 2013
    We also had a guild formed of mostly drow players, with only a couple of us having purchased Hero of the North packs (most just got Guardians). It sucks, and I wish it would have been made known at the start of the founder pack sales.. but it's not the end of the world.

I've been RPing drow in MMOs since UO (I know, lulz) and in NWN1 (old school ALFA vet).. so here is my suggestion to you drow RPers that will not be able to play for 60 days. Make an alternate "slave/servant" character who comes to Neverwinter ahead of your drow character to set things up for you. In the meantime you'll get used to the game play, make some astral diamonds, and maybe in 60 days they'll have new builds released to play class-wise.

Anyway, just try to look on the bright side.

Still mourning the loss of Vhaeraun and Mask, and they won't be back in 60 days,
    Vixi
    vixybanner4_zpsbe1d5d4b.jpg
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    vixisyn wrote: »
    We also had a guild formed of mostly drow players, with only a couple of us having purchased Hero of the North packs (most just got Guardians). It sucks, and I wish it would have been made known at the start of the founder pack sales.. but it's not the end of the world.

I've been RPing drow in MMOs since UO (I know, lulz) and in NWN1 (old school ALFA vet).. so here is my suggestion to you drow RPers that will not be able to play for 60 days. Make an alternate "slave/servant" character who comes to Neverwinter ahead of your drow character to set things up for you. In the meantime you'll get used to the game play, make some astral diamonds, and maybe in 60 days they'll have new builds released to play class-wise.

Anyway, just try to look on the bright side.

Still mourning the loss of Vhaeraun and Mask, and they won't be back in 60 days,
    Vixi

Great ider! or you could rp a dwarf and come drink mead with me!!!!!!!
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And yet Halflings get no love still.

Y U HATE HALFLINGS!?
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • mvinstedmvinsted Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Im gona get it not for the drow but for the other stuff you get and i se it as an investment
    A fr mmo what more could i want cant wait to make my rogue from zhen keep or my drow male wizard renagate cant wait
    CPU - 5i 2500k
    MB - sabertooth Z77
    GPU - x2 msi 660 GTX OC
    RAM - 8 GB 1300 ish ddr3
    OPS - WIN 7
    X2 SSD

The one is my god
    AO had no answer when the one spoke to him
  • mvinstedmvinsted Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    vixisyn wrote: »

Vixi

Ahh mask\godsbane the moste powerfull in the realm...

Ps cyric 4 the win
    CPU - 5i 2500k
    MB - sabertooth Z77
    GPU - x2 msi 660 GTX OC
    RAM - 8 GB 1300 ish ddr3
    OPS - WIN 7
    X2 SSD

The one is my god
    AO had no answer when the one spoke to him