test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Clarification about Drow in Hero of the North Packs

sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Hey folks!

Quick clarification regarding Drow in the Hero of the North Packs.

Taken straight from the newly clarified and shinily posted Extended FAQ:

"The Menzo-Renegade look, tattoo, racial background, racial ability, and special companion will remain permanently exclusive to Hero of the North Pack purchases. The vanilla, non-Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow race will be unavailable for at least first 60 days after release. We are currently planning to do a future update that will allow all players will be able to create a regular Drow character."

This means that Hero of the North Pack purchasers will have exclusive access to the Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow, but everyone will be able to create regular drow after 60 days post-launch.

Hope this is clear, and we apologize for any prior confusion. :)
Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
Post edited by sominator on

Comments

• bedroomjesusbedroomjesus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0
    edited February 2013
    Thank you sir!
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for response... me wouldn' tmind having a drow sidekick on me adventures... a 60day wait it is..... hope me wife likes the regular elves.
  • stewterrystewterry Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Before the rage begins, I'd like to put in a reminder that this is a FREE game. And looks to be a darn good one at that. Devs have got to make rent somehow.

Also, from a lore standpoint...I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a *little* relieved to see that something will be deterring the inevitable flood of drow.
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    stewterry wrote: »
    Before the rage begins, I'd like to put in a reminder that this is a FREE game** And looks to be a darn good one at that** Devs have got to make rent somehow**

Also, from a lore standpoint******I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a *little* relieved to see that something will be deterring the inevitable flood of drow**

Yeah they stink anyway******** nothing like a good smelling dwarf I always say!
  • harekazeharekaze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    **** it feels good to be a gangsta.
  • tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Hey folks!

Quick clarification regarding Drow in the Hero of the North Packs.

Taken straight from the newly clarified and shinily posted Extended FAQ:

"The Menzo-Renegade look, tattoo, racial background, racial ability, and special companion will remain permanently exclusive to Hero of the North Pack purchases. The vanilla, non-Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow race will be unavailable for at least first 60 days after release. We are currently planning to do a future update that will allow all players will be able to create a regular Drow character."

This means that Hero of the North Pack purchasers will have exclusive access to the Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow, but everyone will be able to create regular drow after 60 days post-launch.

Hope this is clear, and we apologize for any prior confusion. :)

Sounds like back pedaling to me and given Cryptics reputation on failing to follow through (see STO klingon path), I'll be amazed if we see drow in 60 days after launch. Misinformation deliberate or otherwise is seriously making me consider any other optioni but this game. It doesn't matter if it is free if another game bets my time and hence my money.

Now for my question why the ambiguity on when the drow will be released and how does it have anything to do with exclusivity of the Mezo option?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • nikkalnikkal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I really think this was a bad decision, and one that's going to hurt the game's population. :(

Many people that I know won't wait for 60 days, they are simply deciding not to play at all. Especially with the "at least 60 days" line.
  • bedroomjesusbedroomjesus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0
    edited February 2013
    Sounds like back pedaling to me and given Cryptics reputation on failing to follow through (see STO klingon path), I'll be amazed if we see drow in 60 days after launch. Misinformation deliberate or otherwise is seriously making me consider any other optioni but this game. It doesn't matter if it is free if another game bets my time and hence my money.

Now for my question why the ambiguity on when the drow will be released and how does it have anything to do with exclusivity of the Mezo option?

Do you have a link or source to an official statement saying that drow would be available to everyone at launch?
  • ainilome1ainilome1 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well ... time to upgrade!

Thanks for the update :)
    ainisig.png
    -= Dark Star Syndicate - Heavy RP, Dark Themes =-
    WebsiteRecruitmentVideo
    Administrator of Neverwinter Roleplayers Fansite. Join us!
  • percadinpercadin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited February 2013
    nikkal wrote: »
    I really think this was a bad decision, and one that's going to hurt the game's population. :(

Many people that I know won't wait for 60 days, they are simply deciding not to play at all. Especially with the "at least 60 days" line.

I think you are full of it. People who pay 200 bucks for their packs can and should enjoy some exclusivity. You wanna play drow? The three people you know that may or may not play a free game based on the fact of availability of a race, then pay 200 bucks and play a drow to your hearts content. If not, then just play the races they let you.
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    stewterry wrote: »
    Before the rage begins, I'd like to put in a reminder that this is a FREE game. And looks to be a darn good one at that. Devs have got to make rent somehow.

Also, from a lore standpoint...I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a *little* relieved to see that something will be deterring the inevitable flood of drow.

You can remind people that this is a FREE game or that the devs have to pay rent all you want. It still doesn't change fact that no one has disputed that or that they're not selling this race regardless so the entire argument is a red herring and is completely pointless.

The real issue here is that regardless of what people thing about them--even the endless flood of Drizzt clones (which I also hate)--a huge segment of the population that could have been there at launch won't be there because of this boneheaded move to restrict the most popular race in the game till 60 days after launch just to make HotN pack buyers feel special about their overpriced purchase. And that will hurt the game's success at launch regardless of how people choose to feel about them.
    I think you are full of it. People who pay 200 bucks for their packs can and should enjoy some exclusivity. You wanna play drow? The three people you know that may or may not play a free game based on the fact of availability of a race, then pay 200 bucks and play a drow to your hearts content. If not, then just play the races they let you.

Actually, try 50-75, depending on who decided to come over, likely more than that, as a bunch of them had friends from other games they were sweet talking into coming to Neverwinter. They were going to make a drow RP guild. Now they've all decided just to stay in Tera because they all were working on character concepts for RP, and no one wants to join a game 2 months in.
    edited February 2013
    You can remind people that this is a FREE game or that the devs have to pay rent all you want. It still doesn't change fact that no one has disputed that or that they're not selling this race regardless so the entire argument is a red herring and is completely pointless.

The real issue here is that regardless of what people thing about them--even the endless flood of Drizzt clones (which I also hate)--a huge segment of the population that could have been there at launch won't be there because of this boneheaded move to restrict the most popular race in the game till 60 days after launch just to make HotN pack buyers feel special about their overpriced purchase. And that will hurt the game's success at launch regardless of how people choose to feel about them.

I think you're assuming too much on how many people think like you.
  • warbrwarbr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Will hero of The North package still be available for purchase after game launch and with the same price?
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Assumed correctly on my part. I'm thinking the exact same way.

Edit: drow wasn't my go to race. It's genesai. But if they had put genesai up as one of the first (if not the first) races announced, than a few months before launch, told me I had to fork up 200 bucks (which is way overpriced for a race) to play it, I'd walk away too.

My go to race for this game was going to be halfling, until apparently that got axed too. Maybe it's the next race to be released for 200 dollars.
  • underdarkhunterunderdarkhunter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

It effects a whole guild of players, we are not happy with this decision. May not mean much to others but we did have the impression that we be able to play drow from the get go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013

I think you're assuming too much about some people's ability to play a substitute character that isn't their main for two months--specially when the MMO market is so oversaturated with such a ridiculous amount of options you can't throw a peeble without hitting a dozen other games we could be playing while we wait (and potentially endup playing for the duration, or for much longer than just two months, if we find ourselves having too much fun there). Some people might try other stuff and adapt. But others don't play alts until they're done with their main. Others still don't play alts at all.

EDIT: And that's not even addressing the lost of trust that comes when a company announces that a race will be in by launch for free*, then before launch announces that its really going to be in only after a two month wait period, but we can get access right away by paying just $200...

*which I would have been willing to pay if they offered it individually, since its NOT a standard race. But they already said that it would be in for free.
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/
  • argoyletargoylet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have no real desire to play a Drow, but I feel that this is a bad and shady move.

Any game with the D&D ip attached to it is going to attract a large number of rp types. Given that I've seen a couple all Drow guilds gaining numbers lately, this is only going to alienate people who planned to be customers.

When was this 60 day decision made? Previously when the question of drow availability has come up, we've simply been told that the vanilla drow would be available to everyone, and the "exclusivity" only applied to the Drizzt clone. At no time was there any mention of a holding period. Additionally I know I and many others have been pouring through every source we could find, and it's funny that the 60 day part in the faq wasn't seen until after it was edited on 2/20. I think anyone who bought the guardian pack thinking the question of drow availability had been settled, now has some justification to feel that some funny business is going on.

I tried earlier today to find a cached version of the faq page to settle the issue of a possible ninja edit, but couldn't find one. During CO's launch Cryptic got its nose bloodied over ninja editing the Lifetime offer when someone was able to pull up a cached page.

In the end, regardless of whether or not something shady is going on, the question must be, why? This decision should have been made before money started changing hands, but beyond that it doesn't really make much sense. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the drow available in the rush at launch, even if as a cash option, to draw people in and keep them playing the game?

What's going on with the halfling and control wizard now? Communication really needs to improve so that more "misunderstandings" don't occur.
  • underdarkhunterunderdarkhunter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    shaudius wrote: »
    Honestly, anyone who was only going to play Neverwinter only because they could play a drow is not really someone that I would want in the game anyway. I for one applaud this decision.

I sure you going to love two months after the game launches when all you going see is drow running around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • liaratsoni84liaratsoni84 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ryger5 wrote: »
    Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!

Angry nerd is angry!

It's 60 days, if you think this is going to destroy all chances of this game's success, I suggest humbly, you either had very little faith in the game to begin with, or you're not really a big D&D fan.

Either of these are fine. It's also fine you don't want to play, and also that you dislike the game. All valid reactions.

But I scoff that you have a better sense of how to manage this IP than Cryptic does. You know, they are a fairly successful company, maybe, just maybe they know what they are doing?

Nah...can't be...it must be that the angry nerds are smarter and now there's nothing but dooooooooooooooooooooom.

I don't know, we all play these games differently, but I marvel at role players who simply refuse to play anything but one race, one concept or the game is worthless to them. Really? Can't bend your preferences a little? You might like something new for a change!

*It's D&D for crying out loud, the best game ever! You know you couldn't play Drow in the table game for decades, it got pretty popular anyway!

And it's 60 days, there is no apocalypse, I repeat, there is no apocalypse.

*Oh wait, for some of you it's not D&D, because it's 'action-y" which means, it can't possibly be D&D. :)

I realize you want to defend this game and you want it to succeed. I do too. After all I spent 60$ for it. (Which I had no problem at all doing BTW as $60 is the standard price for a new game.) I think this game is fun and has a lot of potential. I've been looking forward to it for over a year. That is why I invested my money into it. That's why I've been promoting it among my friends and on tumblr and everywhere else. I WANT it to be successful.

But it is exceedingly disappointing to people, especially those of us who bought the Guardian pack to be jerked around like this. One of the main reasons that I decided to play a game set in Forgotten Realms (besides just loving the lore of it) was so that I could play a drow. You may not like the drow or see people who want to play drow as a bunch of loser Drizzt clones, but drow are a major distinguishing element of the FR setting. (One reason I did not buy the Hero of the North pack was because I didn't want to be a Drizzt clone)

If I wanted to play any other type of character I could find another game that is already out and play in it. This IS a big deal to some people. Especially role-players like me who have very specific things in mind. If I had a large amount of disposable income I would have already bought the Hero of the North pack. However, $200 for a video game is absolutely outrageous price.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • percadinpercadin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited February 2013
    nikkal wrote: »
    Actually, try 50-75, depending on who decided to come over, likely more than that, as a bunch of them had friends from other games they were sweet talking into coming to Neverwinter. They were going to make a drow RP guild. Now they've all decided just to stay in Tera because they all were working on character concepts for RP, and no one wants to join a game 2 months in.

Dude come on. You HAVE to be trolling me with this. 50-75 people, from TERA of all games are sitting there in your little vent server going: "OOOOH Neverwinter looks great, lets all come up with an all drow concept" (mind you drow wasnt even announced as an option until like a month ago or so, when they announced the founder packs) and then you nerds all RAGEd when you seen this and said "WHAT?!?!? No drow for 2 months!!! RABBLERABBLERABBLERABBLE we will NEVER play this and the game will fail! MUAHAHAHAHAHA lets all play Tera which will be dead in 2 months! Then we will wait for the next thing! YEA!"
    Come on man. You see how STUPID this sounds dont you? This is the DEVS game, They told you you can get EVERYTHING for free at some point, and you nerds think that they arent at least going to TRY to get you to spend money on their hard earned project??????? Use you BRAIN
  • mintyfizmintyfiz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    argoylet wrote: »
    What's going on with the halfling and control wizard now? Communication really needs to improve so that more "misunderstandings" don't occur.

i love cryptic, i have played and enjoyed every single one of there games. But communication has never relay been there best quality, bad case of foot in mouth disease i believe.
  • shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I sure you going to love two months after the game launches when all you going see is drow running around.

Eh, I have nothing against players wanting to play drow, I just feel that anyone who would only play Neverwinter because there are drow in it is not someone who is exactly dedicated to the game for reasons that I want to play it, namely because of the foundry and because of the lore of the Forgotten Realms in general(and not because they're some sort of immature drizzt fan boi). Either that or they want to play evil and nothing else and feel like drow is a great way to o that, which in my experience is generally speaking a sign of immaturity. I can see from your sig you're passionate about drow(at least enough to join a guild formed around it), and probably not all that immature, but I feel as though you are most likely the exception.
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/
  • thecainthecain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My opinion is best captured in a song, as the title even sums it up quite exquisitely. No, I'm not going to use an Andrew W. K. song, that would be going too far for something so trivial, nor will I throw up Linkin Park. No, Weird Al is the one that captures my opinion of the devs in this situation.

http://youtu.be/SMhwddNQSWQ
    edited February 2013
    ryger5 wrote: »
    Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!

Angry nerd is angry!

It's 60 days, if you think this is going to destroy all chances of this game's success, I suggest humbly, you either had very little faith in the game to begin with, or you're not really a big D&D fan.

Either of these are fine. It's also fine you don't want to play, and also that you dislike the game. All valid reactions.

But I scoff that you have a better sense of how to manage this IP than Cryptic does. You know, they are a fairly successful company, maybe, just maybe they know what they are doing?

Nah...can't be...it must be that the angry nerds are smarter and now there's nothing but dooooooooooooooooooooom.

I don't know, we all play these games differently, but I marvel at role players who simply refuse to play anything but one race, one concept or the game is worthless to them. Really? Can't bend your preferences a little? You might like something new for a change!

*It's D&D for crying out loud, the best game ever! You know you couldn't play Drow in the table game for decades, it got pretty popular anyway!

And it's 60 days, there is no apocalypse, I repeat, there is no apocalypse.

*Oh wait, for some of you it's not D&D, because it's 'action-y" which means, it can't possibly be D&D. :)

You know, every post I see you post is always aggressive and has no real basis to it. This entire quote is opinion. If you're entitled to yours than the people who want to play drow from launch are entitled to theirs. Have you head anyone say "If they don't make 'x' race available at launch I'm not playing"? No. Because no ones expecting to be catered to.

We were TOLD we were getting drow as a playable launch. Every post made it seem like it was an at launch choice. Older posts even said what races were going to be at launch and drow was in there. They've taken something away that was previously offered, so they can sell more 200 dollar founder packs. You want to sell a race, fine, don't try to sell it for 200 dollars. If this is their business practice than it's a poor one. You say cryptic knows how to run things, they just came off a major bomb named STO. How'd that fail if they're perfect? These things above that I've listed? Facts. Not opinion.

This IS going to hurt first few month profits. When everyone's happy about a new game and willing to buy stupid things they normally wouldn't. When people come to play 60 days in, they're going to be pissed and bitter, and will only buy the things they really think they'll need if anything at all. This is opinion, but a pretty precise one.

Edit: And try to leave your petty dnd not dnd argument back in it's own topic.
    edited February 2013
    percadin wrote: »
    Dude come on. You HAVE to be trolling me with this. 50-75 people, from TERA of all games are sitting there in your little vent server going: "OOOOH Neverwinter looks great, lets all come up with an all drow concept" (mind you drow wasnt even announced as an option until like a month ago or so, when they announced the founder packs) and then you nerds all RAGEd when you seen this and said "WHAT?!?!? No drow for 2 months!!! RABBLERABBLERABBLERABBLE we will NEVER play this and the game will fail! MUAHAHAHAHAHA lets all play Tera which will be dead in 2 months! Then we will wait for the next thing! YEA!"
    Come on man. You see how STUPID this sounds dont you? This is the DEVS game, They told you you can get EVERYTHING for free at some point, and you nerds think that they arent at least going to TRY to get you to spend money on their hard earned project??????? Use you BRAIN

Drow was one of the first races shown in the first videos made. E3 Teaser.

http://nw.perfectworld.com/media/videos

The first avatar that pops up is a drow. Than theres another in the first group shown.. etc etc. It's filled with drow.
    edited February 2013
    percadin wrote: »

I'm going to ignore the strawman and personal insults to point out that drow had been talked about since years ago, back at the old forums. It was always clear that drow were going to be in at launch and it was in fact one of the earliest races "confirmed" that were going to be in for sure (obviously to appeal to their popularity), even before regular elves.

EDIT: Ninja'ed! :p

Please tell me where I said people are forecasting the death of the game because of the delay on drow?

What I said was that I know a guild who had been planning on making a drow RP guild here in Neverwinter. Who now won't be playing because despite having been told previously that the drow will be available at launch, are now being told the drow won't be.

There's no rage, there is no 'this game will fail' there is simply the observation that this decision is going to impact the population of the playerbase. If an entire guild that I know is reacting this way, I feel safe in assuming there will be others reacting in this way. None of them want to leave a game where they are already established to join a game 2 months in, when the current playerbase has had 2 months to settle in. And as RPers, their characters are very important to them. They were told they could be drow, so they had begun creating their characters. Now they won't be playing. The community is impacted. There are fewer players.

And I think that is never a good thing. You can say what you like about players so attached to a character concept, but I still believe that there are always going to be players who think differently than me, but they are all a part of the community. The community is made up of all kinds of people, not all of whom you are going to like. But in order to be successful, a game *needs* a thriving community. So anything that arbitrarily negatively impacts the community is not a positive thing.
    edited February 2013
    "Eh, I have nothing against players wanting to play drow, I just feel that anyone who would only play Neverwinter because there are drow in it is not someone who is exactly dedicated to the game for reasons that I want to play it, namely because of the foundry and because of the lore of the Forgotten Realms in general(and not because they're some sort of immature drizzt fan boi). Either that or they want to play evil and nothing else and feel like drow is a great way to o that, which in my experience is generally speaking a sign of immaturity. I can see from your sig you're passionate about drow(at least enough to join a guild formed around it), and probably not all that immature, but I feel as though you are most likely the exception"

The drow role-playing community is mostly grown adults, Neverwinter Nights 1&2 had drow persistent rp worlds. ALFA was player made recreation the forgotten realms in NW1 and we had a underdark drow community that I played in. NW 2 has a few rp servers for drow and many websights have online campaigns for drow players, including a drow language translators for rping.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]