test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So what do people hope/think the pvp system will be like?

viaxusviaxus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Cryptic have stated they want to implement a robust pvp system. What do you all think/hope it will be like? Personally hoping for a bit of Guild vs Guild conflicts...and maybe a bit of open world pvp. (Not likely to happen). What about you all? Not sure how many people played UO, but they had a guild vs guild pvp system that I think could work great within the framework of DnD. Guilds could declare war on other guilds, meaning members of each guilds could attack each other on sight until one guild "Surrendered" or did not want to continue the war.

In many roleplaying communities, still ongoing, they had a massive guild warring system where all the roleplaying guilds would declare war on each other. This is not to be misunderstood as there was constant pvp between the roleplaying guilds, far from it. It just enabled the RISK of being able to be attacked or attack at any given time during roleplaying. !
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by viaxus on

Comments

• Options
    halishmedihalishmedi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I personally think it will just be a few (3 or 4 maybe) PvP maps which will be hot join-able through a queue window just like STO. No doubt they'll have a team death-match and a capture-the-flag mode.

Assuming that there isn't going to be large scale PvP (like Guildwars 2's World vs World or Dark Age of Camelot's Realm vs Realm), I would like to see interest map mechanics.

Warhammer Online had a lot of PvP maps they called "Scenarios" which played very much like any modern hot-join PvP. But the name I actually thought would fit a much better system. I want to load into a PvP match and be met with a random scenario that I have to "beat". Maybe my team is currently protecting a small village and the entire goal is to protect the innocent villagers from death while the opposing teams objective is to kill them and claim the village.

I don't see any need to have both sides always start off on perfectly even footing with maps that are two almost identical "halfs" just with one flipped and stuck together. I love PvP but hot-join matches like that just bore me after one or two battles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I believe the usual PvP you see in Co-op games :
    Five team deathmatches,
    Capture the flag
    Duels (Challange) initiated by throwing the glove
    And open brawls.
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    A warring system won't be made in Neverwinter. That's for PvP focused games like EVE. This is a PvE based game with PvP elements.

What I would like to see is faction PvP. By faction I mean NPC factions like Red Wizards of Thay or the Harpers or Thieves Guild or whatever orders or guilds are around in 4e competing against each other. Neverwinter is a setting of a drive for power and a perfect setting for some good PvP elements.
  • Options
    demonknight33demonknight33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My personal hopes for the PvP system are that it is non-existant, but seeing as that is unlikely to happen, I just hope that whatever system they add doesn't result in a negative impact on the PvE content.
  • Options
    niquityniquity Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i just hope the game has great pvp, i just quit playing RaiderZ as well my 3 other friends quit also because we got to the pvp area and it was hardly good enough to keep me playing. RaiderZ combat was amazing and i was really enjoying the combat as i was level all of us were...

then once we got into the pvp zone, it was small and felt like an after thought something they just put in to get that base covered.

well the main reason i sit at my computer for hours on end to level up is in hope i can fight other players. that is the only thing in mmo's that give me a reason to get better gear and play to get better. pve is not good enough for me it is not hard and it does not have intelligent reactions to the players changing strategy. i have done my fair share of pve raids my guild in WoW got world first on every boss in both MC and BWL. That was largely because pve mobs are stupid aka "farm status".

were in pvp you could fight X class 1,000 times and WIN! then come across another player of this X class type and end up dead because he was far better than you gave him credit for.

I hope this game has.

RvR type pvp like (DAoC) NOT GW2 current WvW.
    instance pvp ( objective based)
    Arenas of any type 1v1 up to 10v10
    And just good old fashion open world pvp with no limits make a stand alone open world pvp server if there are not enough people to support every server being staple with this
  • Options
    borisbotborisbot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
    edited January 2013
    Very good PvP system not bad like CO or STO :confused: . nice BG system with arena type all I need with good maps and objective based games.
  • Options
    mnaticmnatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    My personal hopes for the PvP system are that it is non-existant, but seeing as that is unlikely to happen, I just hope that whatever system they add doesn't result in a negative impact on the PvE content.

Couldnt agree more. PVP and PvPers have reunied enough games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i hope will be only for fun and raking :) and dont for ultimate gear and power,or at least if they put pvp gear they should make it useless in pve i dont wont another game where if u wish to have good gear for pve u are forced to play pvp and win there
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I really don't like people who say pvp ruins games because people like you generalize and don't use the brain. Yes i sayd just that.
    I'm sick of hearing this on this forum. Go pve in a forest and leave pvp'ers do what they do.

Arguments ? A feat of a game cannot ruin a game. It's just a feat and if you don't like it don't use it.
    It's some players that ruin the game and the kind of players the game attracts. WOW for example attracts tons of silly kids these days that curse and argue for nothing.

So people ruin games not a feat of the game. Ok ?
  • Options
    ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    What i would like to see would be something different implemented, even though im not a massive Pvp'er myself, would be dungeon gauntlets where one group starts from one area and another from another point, where they might fight each other to gain access to the next part where they then face off against the dragon, or maybe team up kill the dragon then try kill each other for the PHAT LEWTZ,or against a timed part of the dungeon zone, if you dont get there before the others you lose, and the other group continues on, to the next part, or fighting each other in a part of neverwinter say echo village, based on factional groups working through neverwinter obtaining those powers, as seen in the NWCS, battling to restore that area but being swarmed by rampant undead, forcing the pvpers back to helping each other before killing each other, just pure carnage lol.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have no comment and no comment on my no comment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    demonknight33demonknight33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    I really don't like people who say pvp ruins games because people like you generalize and don't use the brain. Yes i sayd just that.
    I'm sick of hearing this on this forum. Go pve in a forest and leave pvp'ers do what they do.

Arguments ? A feat of a game cannot ruin a game. It's just a feat and if you don't like it don't use it.
    It's some players that ruin the game and the kind of players the game attracts. WOW for example attracts tons of silly kids these days that curse and argue for nothing.

So people ruin games not a feat of the game. Ok ?

I disagree with this statement. My personal opinion of how PvP ruins PvE games are when games are "balanced" around both PvE and PvP simultaneously, which leads to good, solid abilities in PvE getting nerfed or outright changed because they are overpowered in PvP. I would be all for a good, robust PvP system if I believed for a second that it would not lead directly to changes in the PvE aspect of the game for the sake of "balance".
  • Options
    mnaticmnatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    PVP attracts the people that ruins games, i don't want to make a symantic argument but surely you must see that.

Yes largely it does depend on the person not the feature as any <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> can ruin a dungeon run. However as demonknight has said "balance issues" are a big problem. My only gripe really is D&D pnp rpg is all about PVE, the DM would never encourage players to attack to kill each other. You PVPers have enough games, I just dont want the incorporation of a game dynamic that doesnt really feel like it has a place in this game ruin the experince for others i.e forced PVP or gear/build balancing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    snivodadsnivodad Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    viaxus wrote: »
    Cryptic have stated they want to implement a robust pvp system. What do you all think/hope it will be like? Personally hoping for a bit of Guild vs Guild conflicts...and maybe a bit of open world pvp. (Not likely to happen). What about you all? Not sure how many people played UO, but they had a guild vs guild pvp system that I think could work great within the framework of DnD. Guilds could declare war on other guilds, meaning members of each guilds could attack each other on sight until one guild "Surrendered" or did not want to continue the war.

In many roleplaying communities, still ongoing, they had a massive guild warring system where all the roleplaying guilds would declare war on each other. This is not to be misunderstood as there was constant pvp between the roleplaying guilds, far from it. It just enabled the RISK of being able to be attacked or attack at any given time during roleplaying. !

I personally hope and pray that we get some open world PvP server or option akin to it. This would be the world exactly as it has been developed but with the ability to attack anyone at any time that are outside of safe-zones (cities /housing etc..).
    There is nothing like the real thrill of the danger of getting ganked while adventuring. It forces people to group up for safety and creates a really interesting social dynamic. Yes it is intense and too much for certain types of players, but I think there are enough hard-boiled pvpers out there like myself that would be absolutely thrilled with an open-world pvp server as an option. Please, please, please!
  • Options
    snivodadsnivodad Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think there is the possibility of accommodating both PVErs and PVPrs. A PvP only server would be one way to do this. If Cryptic created an open-world PvP server that people (like myself) could level on but with pvp active at all times, I think it would be awesome. PVErs would simply not join this server and it would be business as usual.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    snivodad wrote: »
    I think there is the possibility of accommodating both PVErs and PVPrs. A PvP only server would be one way to do this. ...

Statement 2 contradicts with statement 1.

Also no multiple servers - one server architect btw.
  • Options
    leopardladyleopardlady Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Call me a "care bear" all you want, won't hurt my feelings, I have particpated in PVP and found I don't care for it. Seen as PVP is included, all I would as for is it NOT be forced on PVE players. I like the idea of PVP maps/dungeons would keep both types of players happy. I despise open world PVP, that feeds the PK'rs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    mnatic wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more. PVP and PvPers have reunied enough games.

Tell me.. what game has this happened in, back you words up plz? Most nerfs I've seen in MMOs always come from the PvE justification. People cry out that their class were decimated because of PvP nerfs yet I've seen waaay more nerfs come from PvE reasons than PvP reasons.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I disagree with this statement. My personal opinion of how PvP ruins PvE games are when games are "balanced" around both PvE and PvP simultaneously, which leads to good, solid abilities in PvE getting nerfed or outright changed because they are overpowered in PvP. I would be all for a good, robust PvP system if I believed for a second that it would not lead directly to changes in the PvE aspect of the game for the sake of "balance".

And yet in there games most of these "nerfs" come from strictly PvE nerf justification. Prime example Death Knights in WotLK, many nerfs come from PvE justification and not PvP.

I've played WoW numerous years and NEVER was there a nerf to my class on the basis of PvP that was detrimental to my class to the point of broken. Sure some nerfs impacted my class which that happens (which more times than not it was PvE justified if it impacted my PvE) and is the nature of the beast but nothing that completely broke my class. Playing a WoW Warr tank even in WotLK where we were dead last tank compared to the other tanks with the exception of the DK and yet I was still clearing the top content.

Even in PvE focused to the point that PvP is nonexistent games do they hand out nerfs that break (gimp is a more apt term than broken and that pertains to all nerfs) classes (Hellloooo DDO's archery nerfbat that they never fixed for years if they even fixed it now?). People need to stop worrying bout "I'm the best DPS... so SUCX it NOOBS" and just play for what it is.

People create this philosophy that all nerfs to their classes come from PvP reasons/balances when in reality that's not the case. PvE justified nerfs happen as often if not more so. PvP nerfs typically are minor and usually have no impact on PvE at least in WoW where there is a wide array of abilities.

Rift had a pretty smart ideal, they had a soul withing their classes that was dedicated to PvP.
  • Options
    lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I did like monster play on the few mmo that tried it, though generally it was not padded out. This would make more sense in a D&D setting I would think. It could also be entirely seperate from PVE in that PVP could just be monster vs monster (in an arena, battle ground or open warefare zone) which would make it easier to balance and not affect PVE.

Course you could have a dungeon crawl with players playing themselves or the monsters. Player goal to get the chest , monsters goal to stop the players (then get chest rewards) or whatever reward system put in:) recon that would be fun? As monster can be balance against classes it should still not affect character skills?
    Could even add to game with a monster char that can only be used in PVP dungeons? then chose monster or player fo pvp dungeon crawl?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Woah there, opened a can of worms it seems. I can understand the "Open world pvp" system would annoy the PVE'ers to no end, but to exclude pvp entirely from the game seems a bit excessive since a great many players DO enjoy pvp, and preferably not the completely instanced kind.
    In the original post I described UO's system of Pvp. When the game first launched there were no pvp/pve weapons at all. Naturally some people would get a hold of more powerful weapons than others and thus be more destructive in pvp, but these weapons were not obtained by grinding in pvp, rather by being lucky in finding one in pve. A Bow of Vanquishing for instance would do far more damage than a Grandmaster fletchered bow from your local lumberjack. :) This was a great way to make the argument between pve/pvp armour and weapons completely moot since no such system differentiated between the two. They were one and the same.

Back to the guild vs guild system. I believe this would benefit everyone. It excludes those that do not want anything to do with pvp, and enables pvpers/pvp guilds by fighting each other. I never liked the concept of pvping in order to get better weapons/armour etc, but do it more for the thrill of the experience alone. If people wanna have a go at attacking my not at all established drow guild with the opportunity to do a bit of roleplay along with it, go for it! Likewise we would attempt to war other roleplaying guilds that were up for a bit of pvp action once in awhile.
    Naturally some guilds would be completely devoted to the concept of pvp alone. These guilds would then find each other and war each other. Best part of it all is...if one guild has had enough/doesn't wanna fight anymore/keeps losing they can peace the other guild immediately.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Gah!! Thing wont allow me to post my entire post...nevermind then!

This system does not take a great deal of developing time to create, (I would assume atleast) compared to the RvR lakes potentially having to be created. (Do not get me wrong, I liked Warhammer Onlines pvp system, but it is not realistic to expect here).

As to the argument that pvp does not fit in the context of Forgotten Realms, I could not disagree more! Yes it is about hacking through a dungeon or area with your friends, but it is also about fighting the Bad guys and the Bad guys wanna be bad. :) I would think it very unrealistic that every single drow in NWO would be a good guy and able to simply walk up to anyone and strike a conversation without the possibility of being attacked for instance.

Ahh well, just my 2 cents...or 4. Success! Thanks Gillrmn!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    viaxus wrote: »
    Gah!! Thing wont allow me to post my entire post...nevermind then!

Keep it Short and Sweet?

(It cuts your message if you use ascii characters, non-keyboard characters)
  • Options
    borisbotborisbot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
    edited January 2013
    And yet in there games most of these "nerfs" come from strictly PvE nerf justification. Prime example Death Knights in WotLK, many nerfs come from PvE justification and not PvP.

I've played WoW numerous years and NEVER was there a nerf to my class on the basis of PvP that was detrimental to my class to the point of broken. Sure some nerfs impacted my class which that happens (which more times than not it was PvE justified if it impacted my PvE) and is the nature of the beast but nothing that completely broke my class. Playing a WoW Warr tank even in WotLK where we were dead last tank compared to the other tanks with the exception of the DK and yet I was still clearing the top content.

Even in PvE focused to the point that PvP is nonexistent games do they hand out nerfs that break (gimp is a more apt term than broken and that pertains to all nerfs) classes (Hellloooo DDO's archery nerfbat that they never fixed for years if they even fixed it now?). People need to stop worrying bout "I'm the best DPS... so SUCX it NOOBS" and just play for what it is.

People create this philosophy that all nerfs to their classes come from PvP reasons/balances when in reality that's not the case. PvE justified nerfs happen as often if not more so. PvP nerfs typically are minor and usually have no impact on PvE at least in WoW where there is a wide array of abilities.

Rift had a pretty smart ideal, they had a soul withing their classes that was dedicated to PvP.

Don't forget OP PvE gear that unbalance the game.
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,366 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would like to see PvP go the way of this:

SONY_BETAMAX_PORTABLE.jpg

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    mnatic wrote: »
    PVP attracts the people that ruins games, i don't want to make a symantic argument but surely you must see that.

Have you ever played a PVE MMO ? And I'm not joking with this question.
    Do you know what a ninja is ? It's a person that steals the loot from the big boss. It's a mega jerk that steals and ruins the pve.
    He is not a pvp'er...
    Do you know how pve groups are made in most mmo's ? On the global chat were random people gatter and curse at one another like : "heal idiots","go for the minions noobs" and some other quotes I dare not say.

Don't give the Oh pvp'ers are soooo bad because it is a generalisation and generalisations are WRONG.

p.s. don't make me use the leroy jenkings argument were a dude from the group attacks the boss before the group is ready and all die.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I personally hope and pray that we get some open world PvP server or option akin to it. This would be the world exactly as it has been developed but with the ability to attack anyone at any time that are outside of safe-zones (cities /housing etc..).
    There is nothing like the real thrill of the danger of getting ganked while adventuring. It forces people to group up for safety and creates a really interesting social dynamic. Yes it is intense and too much for certain types of players, but I think there are enough hard-boiled pvpers out there like myself that would be absolutely thrilled with an open-world pvp server as an option. Please, please, please!
    I think there is the possibility of accommodating both PVErs and PVPrs. A PvP only server would be one way to do this. If Cryptic created an open-world PvP server that people (like myself) could level on but with pvp active at all times, I think it would be awesome. PVErs would simply not join this server and it would be business as usual.

No.

From my FAQ.

Can you tell me how the Game World (or Server) will work then with player population?

Updated 10/05/2012:
    Cryptic uses one game server per game. This means, Cryptic makes a unified "world server" to play on composed of a bunch of physical computer servers to make one "game world." So no other "PvP Servers" or "Role Playing Servers" are done as separate servers to log into. This also means that User Generated Content via the integrated Foundry tool (and more on that is mentioned in the Foundry section) also is accessed by the same NPCs and objects in the "world Server."

When a public area zone in the game gets too large, it splits it into another "public instance" or "shard." So you could have "The Moonstone Mask" as a public place, then it splits into "The Moonstone Mask1" and "The Moonstone Mask2" when there are too many people for the capacity on a public location zone.

Users will have the ability to "switch" between shards (often by a pull down location option if there are multiple areas.)

This splitting continues if any of the the public area zones continue to grow to capacity again ("The Moonstone Mask3," "The Moonstone Mask4," etc.) and the zones lower in sequential number when the population drops so they can rejoin another (or original) shard (or zone) the next time players leave and re-enter said public zone. So if there are only 4 people in the original zone, and 2 in a second zone, that second zone goes away when the last player in a zone leaves, and the players re-entering that public zone go to the original zone. The game does automatically decide where the least load or most need for new population is needed for the shards, which the above players have the option to manually switch zones (especially for party-based grouping.)

However, when players join a party to do certain quests, they may instead of adventure in a public area be sent to a private instance which can hold a party of up to five adventurers. This will definitely be done in the "delves" described later in this section. Also see the (previous) "Is the game Instanced or Open world? I keep hearing it's one than it's the other!" question.

Finally, Cryptic does not "separate" players into their own servers. So there is not a "role playing" server and a "PvP" server and a "min-max" server, etc. We all play in one game world as mentioned above.

Is there PvP? Is it endgame only?

Cryptic and PWE have decided one of the reasons for the game's release to 2013 would be to include a "robust" PvP at launch. The game will offer PvP before endgame possibly in arenas suggested but not guaranteed by Andy Velasquez and possibly also have options involved in an "endgame" besides the RAIDs as mentioned in this video around 1:53.
    Update 10/26/2012: When asked about details on PVP (and also with racial starting points) at New York Comic Con, Cryptic and WotC pretty much said, we're working on it and and we can't tell you much at this point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Personally I think the best PvP I played was in the game Dark Age of Camelot. It was a three faction war for relics that each faction had in their own area of the frontier. The frontier was the only place PvP could take place so if you did not want to take part you just had to never go there.

When you decided to take an enemy relic you had to have all of your own relics in your relic keeps before that could be done and if an enemy had stolen some of them you had to go get them back before you could steal their relics. Relics from your own realm provided bonus to PvP and stolen relics provided bonus to both PvP and PvE.

Now I realize something like this might not work in NeverWinter but the end game Realm vs Realm conflict in DAoC was really fun indeed.

If you want to learn more about this you can google Dark Age of Camelot and read up on Realm vs Realm.
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As long as I don't have to PvP in any way to advance my character, I don't really care about how it's implemented. If I am forced to go into PvP areas to do something related to PvE, well that's not cool. If PvP is the path to the best gear in game, again not cool. PvP should be absolutely meaningless outside of bragging rights and e-peen swinging for those who care about such things. If the game goes the direction of many new titles, and has all instanced PvP, with simple mini games, capture the flag, or group battles, cool...let the players who like that have fun, while the rest of us can focus on what we like. I shouldn't be forced to be a victim just so someone else can have a good time.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    If you don't like PvP why are you even in this thread? Just to make sure the people who do enjoy it can't talk about it and enjoy it with each other?

Seriously, every attempt at discussing PvP on this forum turns into "I don't like PvP and neither should you." It's a nightmare. I don't craft, maybe I should head over to the crafting thread and start bashing everything about it there. I'm sure I could concoct a sound argument that says the introduction of crafted items affects the availability of loot drops from monsters and that it shouldn't be in the game at all.