test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Meet the developers.

Comments

• lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    I saw a few questions which I think can be answered from looking at the other games cryptic have done.
    I do not think there will be "raids" like wow and such, but they do have PVE events from 5 and up to about 20ish players, which are often defend the base attack base but not just these events.
    The henchmen I think is a great idea, I like the companions in SWTOR, it adds to the game play having to "build" another char ie equip and possible pick feats for it? From star trek in particular you get different quality crew (which i equate to henchmen) so you start with a basic one and eventually get purple quality ones, but also have ones from store which might be a race only got on store, generally not any more powerful than normal purple. I would assume special graphic mounts too.
    Just hope they do not do lockchests.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • health002health002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    My life is simple,only 3 things left in life .Move to Colorado,and open up a coffee (cough) shop ,Play this DAM GAME.And then finish my life with eq3,if smelly doesn't screw that up
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2012
    I typically don't like henchmen in MMOs as it deteriorates from the necessity of grouping with other players, but I have seen it done well before and I like how the henchmen in this game sound. Like party members we get to build up and customize.

Wonder if henchmen will have some of their own side-quests and storylines?
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ranncore wrote: »
    I typically don't like henchmen in MMOs as it deteriorates from the necessity of grouping with other players, but I have seen it done well before and I like how the henchmen in this game sound. Like party members we get to build up and customize.

i agree with you and i would like that too. unfotunately, it wont happen - they are more likely to include them nd it never happens vice versa
  • health002health002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012

o lord please don't.That reminds me too much of SWTOR ,and that game left a really nasty taste
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited December 2012

I'm just happy at the level of customization you can do to your henchmen I absolutely loved that in Baldurs gate and Icewind Dale and in STO....and it never really deteriorated my grouping. I still group tons in STO and SWTOR. I am hoping the use Henchmen for adventure hooks that would be awesome.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2012
    health002 wrote: »
    o lord please don't.That reminds me too much of SWTOR ,and that game left a really nasty taste

SWTOR and GW1 I would use as good examples of how to customize henchmen and having their own storylines but placing too much importance on them that drew away from fundamental grouping mechanics.

STO is a little bit different as you can't have other players on your own ship. Henchment fit perfectly there.

But it's no big secret that SWTOR is a single player game set in an MMO universe. And that might be why it went F2P in six months and retained only 20% of it's box-buyer base.

Not trying to slam SWTOR but I don't think developers should be looking at that game for how to do things. It was made by a company that had never done MMOs before and it shows.
    edited December 2012
    ...Not trying to slam SWTOR but I don't think developers should be looking at that game for how to do things. It was made by a company that had never done MMOs before and it shows.

I believe this game is being developed while keeping SWTOR in mind. They learned a lot from SWTOR and I am sure in this delay they are preparing a lot of content so players dont run away after a day of playing.
    edited December 2012
    How could you not keep SWTOR in mind while making an MMO, hah.
    It's really a shame what happened to it - funding like that will never, ever be given to a niche MMO again.
    But I digress.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Henchmen being given roles is something I always cared about in various games throughout the years.

Okay I have some random person following me around aiding my attempts to either save or dominate the world...
    It takes away from the story and the game if they don't have their own purpose as well. I have a reason to do the things I do...but why do they have reasons to do the same things?

I can easily compare it to Christopher Nolan's take on making Batman Movies, the first thing he decided to do when taking on the project was to insist that Batman had to be just as important as the villains. Other adaptations focused so much on the villains Batman was just a side story with no real depth...and he was right.
    Well a lot of games focus so much on us they don't put enough into the world and characters themselves.

If we look at the D&D Game we rave the most about, Baldur's Gate, and notice what we rave about...we rave about those who joined us for the journey. We rave about Miniature Giant Space Hamsters and mad wizards. The people who chose to throw their lives into the fray with us. That's important in any game; in any story.

But now I am realizing how far off topic this thread has become. It went from meet the developers to throw preferences, questions and ideas at them. Haha.
    In any case, I'm sure you can see what a positive effect having you talk with the players is having Mapolis!
    edited December 2012
    ... Batman Movies, ...

[off-topic but Robin is Batman's pet. Not a henchman.]

But seriously, having pets should be enough to cure lonliness. Having henchmen sometimes encourages aloof play. It is my opinion that people never enjoy partying with other people for initial short time - only after having many bad and good experiences do they realize the charm of a party - whether good or bad, whether PUG or guild.
    edited December 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »

bahaha

but seriously thats disturbing
    edited December 2012
    Henchmen being given roles is something I always cared about in various games throughout the years.

Okay I have some random person following me around aiding my attempts to either save or dominate the world...
    It takes away from the story and the game if they don't have their own purpose as well. I have a reason to do the things I do...but why do they have reasons to do the same things?

I can easily compare it to Christopher Nolan's take on making Batman Movies, the first thing he decided to do when taking on the project was to insist that Batman had to be just as important as the villains. Other adaptations focused so much on the villains Batman was just a side story with no real depth...and he was right.
    Well a lot of games focus so much on us they don't put enough into the world and characters themselves.

If we look at the D&D Game we rave the most about, Baldur's Gate, and notice what we rave about...we rave about those who joined us for the journey. We rave about Miniature Giant Space Hamsters and mad wizards. The people who chose to throw their lives into the fray with us. That's important in any game; in any story.

But now I am realizing how far off topic this thread has become. It went from meet the developers to throw preferences, questions and ideas at them. Haha.
    In any case, I'm sure you can see what a positive effect having you talk with the players is having Mapolis!

Brilliantly said, henchmen need to be more than just pets or just automatons, they need to make them as interesting as possible make us give a damn about them...the reason that we didn't in Swtor was because we couldn't really make them ours; customization was so limited and you were going to get the exact same thing every time, they also have to make us believe the henchmen wants to be with us.

This will be a perfect system to not only expand the really fun Nemesis system (because we all want our Artemis Enteri) but to add an Ally system that gives us our Bruneor and Wulfgar (not them specifically but you know what I'm saying) to travel the road with us and as a vehicle to move along our personal story. let us customize the living dog ship out of them gear look name let them be uniquely ours.

Only Cryptic is up to this currently development wise and they should exploit the hell out of that.

But seriously, having pets should be enough to cure lonliness. Having henchmen sometimes encourages aloof play. It is my opinion that people never enjoy partying with other people for initial short time - only after having many bad and good experiences do they realize the charm of a party - whether good or bad, whether PUG or guild.

Sometimes but it isn't an absolute in STO for the most part aren't soloists, STO is an extremely social game and the number of groups and guilds and folks who just hang out seems to have grown. I think you can have it booth ways really, but forcing folks to group is never a good idea they need to come there on their own terms.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm just happy at the level of customization you can do to your henchmen I absolutely loved that in Baldurs gate and Icewind Dale and in STO....and it never really deteriorated my grouping. I still group tons in STO and SWTOR. I am hoping the use Henchmen for adventure hooks that would be awesome.
    SWTOR and GW1 I would use as good examples of how to customize henchmen and having their own storylines but placing too much importance on them that drew away from fundamental grouping mechanics.

STO is a little bit different as you can't have other players on your own ship. Henchment fit perfectly there.

But it's no big secret that SWTOR is a single player game set in an MMO universe. And that might be why it went F2P in six months and retained only 20% of it's box-buyer base.

Not trying to slam SWTOR but I don't think developers should be looking at that game for how to do things. It was made by a company that had never done MMOs before and it shows.
    How could you not keep SWTOR in mind while making an MMO, hah.
    It's really a shame what happened to it - funding like that will never, ever be given to a niche MMO again.
    But I digress.

Bluntly, it's amazing what same old tired stuff they still did in both as a game and (so-called) MMO thinking that they could try and sell a subscription model with it. Story was great, but that's about it.

I'd love to chrono-gate Imoen and put her in this MMO if I could though :)

I fully support the devs working on that project! :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012
    Bluntly, it's amazing what same old tired stuff they still did in both as a game and (so-called) MMO thinking that they could try and sell a subscription model with it. Story was great, but that's about it.

I fully support the devs working on that project! :p

Ahhhh one of the most relevant characters ever in a pc game, yes please more Imoen less Kira.
  • readymealreadymeal Member Posts: 57
    edited December 2012
    Post-launch support for any feature depends on player reception and use of that feature. I think the Foundry is positioned to have a great shot at being one of the biggest draws to NWO, but players will have ultimate say on where we focus our development time.

interestingly even a dev is calling this game NWO :) , players will have the ultimate say...looking at the other 2 games i m going to call BS. ooops sorry my bad, yes but only to fill in the cash shop of items with specific powers or to half developed useless features...
    Currently weapons are class based, so you get drops that are only equippable by a specific class. There's no proficiency training at the moment. Each class' combat gameplay, feats and abilites rely heavily on the weapons and armor they use, so it's not as simple as being able to switch gear and change your Guardian Fighter to a Great Weapon fighter. I could see abilities added to a class that made them effective with different weapon types though.

Class based weapons are somehow limiting no? why would you not allow my wizard to use a crossbow?(penalties can be added of course)
    Beta dates depend on a lot of factors, including feedback from alpha testers, focus groups, internal playtests, development milestone goals, our specific goals for what data we need from beta testing, and much much more. Each of the date changes you mentioned were due to the release date being extended, which subsequently changed our development plans to take advantage of the extra time. Beta will be in early 2013, but that is as specific as I can get.

Well that s even worst than a "Soon" ha!

I have a pretty good idea why they don t talk much about the game...one of the reason could be that it back fired on them in STO when they shared with players about the features they were working on but at the end most of them never saw the light or were put on the back burner, that plus misleading players, broken promises while the cash shop was getting new shinny stuff every month...
    edited December 2012
    readymeal wrote: »
    Class based weapons are somehow limiting no? why would you not allow my wizard to use a crossbow?(penalties can be added of course)

this was my knee-jerk reaction as well, but ile wait to see it in action to pass judgement on it.
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It is terribly limiting, there's no two doubts about it. However, we arent even in either beta yet. If Cryptic launches at the end of 2013 (im only guessing here folks) with only one weapon option per character, then I might deem this D&D EverTrainingwheels. Until then, lets just enjoy the building process as it unfolds.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
    edited December 2012
    with only one weapon option per character

i doubt even under the current system it's that limiting.
    edited December 2012
    It is terribly limiting, there's no two doubts about it. However, we arent even in either beta yet. If Cryptic launches at the end of 2013 (im only guessing here folks) with only one weapon option per character, then I might deem this D&D EverTrainingwheels. Until then, lets just enjoy the building process as it unfolds.

Call me naive, call me irresponsible, hell call me Fernado...but I just don't believe after all that work they would do something that gimps players that much; I know they want that jump and play without having to refer to a spreadsheet (which I agree with btw) but that would be taking it a bit too far.

My two coppers
  • bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    We don't have a full zone in Evernight (yet) but you do go there in a couple missions. The lore of a couple zones is heavily tied to the shadowfell as well.

Woot thanks for the post!!
  • viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This thread is simply amazing and this is what I've been holding out for on these forums for the last 3 or so months please keep it alive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012

It is hard not to fall in love with BG when you hear Imoen saying, "Leave a friend in need? No Sir, not me!" in her sweet voice.
    edited December 2012
    It is hard not to fall in love with BG when you hear Imoen saying, "Leave a friend in need? No Sir, not me!" in her sweet voice.

Yes her sweet sweet Bhaalspawn voice :P
    edited December 2012
    I must be the only one here who thought Imoen was annoying as hell. Her voice was the opposite of sweet, it was nagging.
    edited December 2012
    I must be the only one here who thought Imoen was annoying as hell. Her voice was the opposite of sweet, it was nagging.

Honestly I was ambivalent about her, of course I'm usually not attracted to NPC females (unlike a friend of mine I swear he is actually in love with Kira in SWTOR...creepy.) the rare exception for me was Alyx in Half Life 2.
  • tinypyrotinypyro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    Has there been any mention of Halflings as a playable race?
    edited December 2012
    tinypyro wrote: »
    Has there been any mention of Halflings as a playable race?

yes they are there. Has been confirmed many times, long ago and are present in wanmei site to look at

nw.wanmei.com
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    readymeal wrote: »
    interestingly even a dev is calling this game NWO...

A creepy group of people are heard chanting "one of us...one of us...one of us..."

I have a pretty good idea why they don t talk much about the game...one of the reason could be that it back fired on them in STO when they shared with players about the features they were working on but at the end most of them never saw the light or were put on the back burner, that plus misleading players, broken promises while the cash shop was getting new shinny stuff every month...

I can't say if that is correct. Sounds right though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Just to keep this going and with hopes you can stop by and answer questions again mapolis I pulled some questions from the defunct mmorpg.com community Q&A round 2. Folks please bear with me if some of these have been answered and I haven't removed them it could simply be that I didn't know they had been answered.

What races and classes can we expect apart from those already know?
    How do feats work?
    What are and how do Paragon Paths work?
    Will we be able to swap out different set ups, ie can we save say aoe setup, pvp set up pve solo set up etc.
    How or will classes be able to specialise in certain aspects?
    How do class special skills work?

and some more more

Q: Will stealth mean something? What about rangers and rogues?
    Q: Actually on the topic of a race like genasi, how would you handle their liquid move for watersoul and flying ability for windsoul?
    Q: What about puzzles? - maybe a door is guarded by a magic mouth and you have to know the answer to a riddle to get past it. etc.
    Q: Will there be aging?
    Q: Can a rogue climb as in CO and launch surprize attacks?
    Q: What weapons will be available(manctacher?)
    Q: Can players and/or NPC's hide within objects?
    Q: Is durability implemented to weapons/armor/equipments in game?
    Q: Do wizards get to use staffs in combat animation?
    Q: Would rituals be implemented into the game?
    Q: What role do deities play in the game? Are the deity specific paragon paths and/or domains available? Or do they plan to implement them at some time?
    Q: Will crafting contain mini-games or will it be a straight-forward success or failure thing?
    Q: Is it possible to 'romance' NPCs using dialogue options in foundry?

Also I cut and pasted so any spelling errors etc are the original authors:)

Edit: one from me
    Will there be an ingame "monster manual" i.e. when you come across monsters it will open it up in the monster manual.
This discussion has been closed.