Install Arc
Options

Character creation

Comments

• Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    tears

No, you painted a complete misrepresentation of the game, like you often do, to try to shape your anti-DDO opinion. You can have any opinion you like, but if you speak mistruths, expect those in the know to check you on them. It's ok that you dislike DDO, but no need to make stories up.

You are painting the DDOWiki as the resource for min/max cookie cutter builds, and that's just factually incorrect. It's simply not true. As a active builder on the DDO forums and in game, and as an editor of the DDOWiki, I know its false.

There's many ways to build a character in DDO, because they allow that flexibility.. that was my point, and the point of others in this thread.

There's many reasons to dislike DDO, making up stories to insinuate a lack of character creation is a poor way to go about it. But you are free to have any opinion you like.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    No, you painted a complete misrepresentation of the game, like you often do, to try to shape your anti-DDO opinion. You can have any opinion you like, but if you speak mistruths, expect those in the know to check you on them. It's ok that you dislike DDO, but no need to make stories up.

Anti DDO opinion...that's funny considering that I'm an occasional player, it's just more of your typical ranting and accusations.

Anyway keep on being such an awesome spokesperson for your guild.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Anti DDO opinion...that's funny considering that I'm an occasional player, it's just more of your typical ranting and accusations.

Anyway keep on being such an awesome spokesperson for your guild.

You like to use that word "rant" a lot for those that disagree with you, instead of forming a quality rebuttal that actually has something to do with the op.. instead you just label people and call people names.

Now I'll try again, what exactly is more limiting about DDO's character creation system than what we know about Neverwinter's character creation system? More importantly, how can Cryptic improve on DDO's methods?

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    You like to use that word "rant" a lot for those that disagree with you, instead of forming a quality rebuttal that actually has something to do with the op.. instead you just label people and call people names.

Now I'll try again, what exactly is more limiting about DDO's character creation system than what we know about Neverwinter's character creation system?

Look I have already had a conversation with Stormshade about your attitude on these forums, ninja editing insulting comments and being generally nasty isn't buying you any clout. You can disagree with me all you like but leave the attitude at home.

I never said that DDO character generation system was limiting I said in my experience I see a lot of people look up what there stats should be on the net and nothing is really learned that way. If you can't deal with that opinion tough, but you need to stop acting like a bully on these forums.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I said in my experience I see a lot of people look up what there stats should be on the net and nothing is really learned that way

That is not what you said. The way you worded it now I can agree with fully. It takes more than just copying stats down, but truly understanding why you are making choices for your toon.

You really seem to have anger management issues that you need to get under control. If you can't discuss these topics peacefully without labeling people maybe you should just step back, take a brake. Just saying.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    That is not what you said. The way you worded it now I can agree with fully. It takes more than just copying stats down, but truly understanding why you are making choices for your toon.

You really seem to have anger management issues that you need to get under control. If you can't discuss these topics peacefully without labeling people maybe you should just step back, take a brake. Just saying.

Yeah thanks for that advice, but it's funny that you and your guild mate are the only ones that has an issue with me, and anyone that knows me in STO or CO would laugh at your accusation of anger management issues. You can post without being so confrontational and snarky and if you can't perhaps you should take your own advice.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Yeah thanks for that advice, but it's funny that you and your guild mate are the only ones that has an issue with me, and anyone that knows me in STO or CO would laugh at your accusation of anger management issues. You can post without being so confrontational and snarky and if you can't perhaps you should take your own advice.

I actually don't have an issue with you. I might make an observation, or find a pattern with something people say or do, but I never judge people or label them as a person. Now let's drop it, we are way off topic now.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I actually don't have an issue with you. I might make an observation, or find a pattern with something people say or do, but I never judge people or label them as a person. Now let's drop it, we are way off topic now.

Fine then just keep in check how you make those observations and we won't have a problem.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Fine then just keep in check how you make those observations and we won't have a problem.

Fair enough, and I will kindly ask you to please keep in check labeling my guild, and/or guildies, and we'll be solid.

• Options
    kinster2kinster2 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    wow why do i feel like we just had a glorious fight between dragons......

anyway is it me or did the other developer scowl when jack came in
  • Options
    mosnacky01mosnacky01 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    kinster2 wrote: »

I wouldn't call it that, This is the reason my husband and I refuse to participate on these forums. I play Forsaken World and know that any opinion we have would be shouted down by bully guilds and hardcores (please spare me the protest to the contrary this topic provides ample evidence) Neverwinter looks fun, but I'm concerned about a certain segment of the community.

This behavior would never stand over at FSW or PWI as most are tolerant and welcoming to everyone. I'll go back to lurking now and hoping that this community actually gets official modertors soon.
    No woman should marry before she has slain her tenth man.-:Vartha Do'Urden
  • Options
    edited August 2012

LOL about the first thing you said. I'm happy calling it a truce, and honestly hope we're past it.

As for "ProducerGlin", the DDO senior producer Erik Boyer, he's a good egg. Real fun, personable guy.

It was clearly very uncomfortable for DDO and Neverwinter teams to sit so close to discuss their games... but alas I give them both much credit for participating in such a rare, open forum.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    mosnacky01 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it that, This is the reason my husband and I refuse to participate on these forums. I play Forsaken World and know that any opinion we have would be shouted down by bully guilds and hardcores (please spare me the protest to the contrary this topic provides ample evidence) Neverwinter looks fun, but I'm concerned about a certain segment of the community.

This behavior would never stand over at FSW or PWI as most are tolerant and welcoming to everyone. I'll go back to lurking now and hoping that this community actually gets official modertors soon.

We are in no way a "bully" guild, and have no desire to become one. I'll invite you and hubby to spend a few quests with us when the game begins, and I promise you, you'll have a change of heart fast.

Of course I admit in this thread we both got heated, but this has been going on for a few days between him and I, and I think we are good now. We both want Neverwinter to succeed and I know we are just trying to impart some wisdom from past experiences.

PS: Storm, same goes for you. Shame the game isn't live because we could do it tonight. Olive branch is out, no guild invites, no promotion, just some good old fashion questing. Let's talk when the game launches about running a quest or two, shall we?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    We are in no way a "bully" guild, and have no desire to become one. I'll invite you and hubby to spend a few quests with us when the game begins, and I promise you, you'll have a change of heart fast.

Of course I admit in this thread we both got heated, but this has been going on for a few days between him and I, and I think we are good now. We both want Neverwinter to succeed and I know we are just trying to impart some wisdom from past experiences.

PS: Storm, same goes for you. Shame the game isn't live because we could do it tonight. Olive branch is out, no guild invites, no promotion, just some good old fashion questing. Let's talk when the game launches about running a quest or two, shall we?

Yeah sounds good and I really don't want folks getting the wrong idea about ether of us; Aandre and I both have strong opinions and while we don't agree on everything we both want the game to succeed.

Anyway moving forward I think we will both try harder not to bicker.
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    4e i not that bad BUT it was allot of ****-tard things like :
    -No more emphasis on gods
    -no more the old alignement sistem the new one with no neutral is just stupid (what is lord Ao? evil ? good? hell no !!!! )
    -paragon paths for me...hmm i allways looked at them with a suspicious eye i'll have to wait and see how they implement that ingame.

And if it will have some skill tree like wow i'll instant uninstall it :) blasphemy for d&d
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    mosnacky01 wrote: »

Please do not let the actions of a few define the many. I sure hope that your and your husband grow to become comfortable with sharing your opinions and even idle chatter here, as that is what D&D is all about - the player experience. Without well constructed opinions and criticism, D&D would be nothing like it is today nor would it be "going back" to its roots in D&D Next. So please do know that everyone's opinion and discussions, RoC Permitting, are welcome and encouraged.

I do have to admit though, I end up falling into recluse and lurking mode when a forum community gets too rowdy. I know, from professional and personal experience, that I am not alone. Which is sad and one reason I tend to speak up when I see such happen.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    -No more emphasis on gods
    -no more the old alignement sistem the new one with no neutral is just stupid (what is lord Ao? evil ? good? hell no !!!! )

I agree on on these two, indeed.

Without emphasis on the Gods, 4e has no place in the Forgotten Realms, in my opinion. I'm looking forward to what D&D Next and the upcoming changes (again) that are in store for the Realms. I don't believe we'll witness this in NWO however. I'm thinking that NWO will stay in its own timeline, while the PnP/Novel Realms continues to evolve and change with the new rule-set and multiple author novel series coming out.

I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record, when it comes to the Gods, but seriously - in all my years of running the Realms and reading Realms Novels and Source material - you cannot have the Realms without the Gods or vice verse. It just wouldn't be the same, nor something I'd have fallen in love with.

I both like and dislike the alignment system. It gives more freedom for the player but also opens up a possibility of many cans of worms for a DM to have to decide on certain things.

As for the paragon paths, the more I read source material on them, then more I am finding myself liking them. I agree though, my liking them in NWO will be entirely based on how they are implemented.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    -No more emphasis on gods...

Even though I understand how you feel(I used to feel the same before actually trying 4e), 4e is actually not that bad. Many things in 4e are much much better.
    - power sources are very clear and concise.
    - monks are finally done right
    - alignment system is not restrictive but the moral compass is left to DM. This is probably done due to new popular games with ambiguous moral compass -e.g. dragon age etc.
    - gods are fewer, but new gods are cool too. Especially the story of 'He Who Was' is nice.

I can go on and on, but my point is, 4e is not an extension of 3e. It is just different. Just as 3e was different from AD&D. It is not named 3.75e :)

Once you realize it is different, you also realize that you can play 4e along side with 3e. This is where you actually start to hate 4e, namely - why do I have to learn all the rules again to play it? It has nothing to do with quality of 4e itself. Btw, I have some of my senior players who say that 3e destroyed their D&D. I guess this probably is some generational thing.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »

Once you realize it is different, you also realize that you can play 4e along side with 3e. This is where you actually start to hate 4e, namely - why do I have to learn all the rules again to play it? It has nothing to do with quality of 4e itself. Btw, I have some of my senior players who say that 3e destroyed their D&D. I guess this probably is some generational thing.

I totally agree. There is absolutely no reason for any DM to "have" to switch to 4th, or even 3rd. My campaign continues unabated with the 2nd edition rules. I just adopt whatever source material and novel lore I wish. There really is no "need" to switch. I will be trying D&D Next though, I've already began discussing the possibility of testing it with my group since it is in a semi-public beta state.

I do think that 4th is good for computer gaming. It has so many rules and stipulations that makes me feel like I need to be a computer to DM 4th edition. As a player, it's not so in your face. I do agree about 3rd and 3.5 - they were horrible and not one of my group enjoyed it or use them.

From the keynote address, we have non-D&D playing developers to thank for 3rd and 4th. They said they are wanting to get back to having the game made by players and not paid developers who don't even play. D&D Next "will be" getting back to what it was meant to be, a game for the players by the players.

That is probably the best thing we have going for Neverwinter right now, the fact that most of the Developers on Neverwinter are also PnP D&D gamers.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    I agree on on these two, indeed.

Without emphasis on the Gods, 4e has no place in the Forgotten Realms, in my opinion. ...

FYI: It emphasizes gods.
    From a believer to another.
    *cheer up*

But your Mystra is dead so a paragon path particular to Mystra does not exists. But a paragon path dedicated to Selune exists.
    *Makes faces*
    And that path - silverstar(hence silver color I took up) is open to any class that uses implements. That means mages, clerics and bards.
    *Dances around to make Zeb jealous*
    Want to convert? We have a few openings. Mystra was afterall closer to Selune when she was born from her. :-)

Ok, on a serious note. The gods matter a lot in 4e. But you are not tied down to them. So you can be a hard core assassin devoted to Sune and spreading her cause while being evil about it. Doing things that will make Sune hate you. So 4e is more free. Let me know if you have particular questions and I will give appropriate examples on what and how it would be used in campaigns.
  • Options
    edited August 2012

I do think that 4th is good for computer gaming. It has so many rules and stipulations that makes me feel like I need to be a computer to DM 4th edition. As a player, it's not so in your face. I do agree about 3rd and 3.5 - they were horrible and not one of my group enjoyed it or use them.

I do realise I am coing out as proponent of 4e, and my 3 year younger self would have died of shame watching me post it (I used to call 4e a four letter word starting with d, ending with p). But one more opinion I want to present here, for which I feel very strongly about whenever anyone says 4e is computerized(funny I used to say the same).

Yes, 4e is easier with trees and all for players I agree with you on that Zeb, but what I find is that for a creator - campaign creator, or DM making custom content - it is much more challenging. A good DM can actually make a very good campaign with 4e. It is hard work, but lore in 4e when placed together with old lore is just overwhelming.

Ok too much pro-4eism for the day. Time for me to shut up for now :)
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    You speak too harshly of Mystra's current state of being. Death is something for mortals and lesser gods than the ones we pay homage to. I shall remain stoic and allow Time to tell the tale, while doing what I can to never let the Hidden One be forgotten. For until every last being and object touched by the Blue Flame is extinguished, Mystryl shall never cease to be, as it has been since her emergence.

I thank you kindly for the offer of clergyship, our two faiths are well aligned for sure. There is still time to restore the Lady of Mysteries to her rightful place among the gods however. There will always be time. It is just a matter of time, indeed.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    You speak too harshly of Mystra's current state of being. ...

Yes please allow me the indulgence - to savor this moment. Mystra has lot of literature dedicated to her. But two of my favorite deities - Selune first and Raven Queen - have been neglected for so long. How many forgotten realms have Selune in it? Even when Selune is a FR realm diety - She is the moon! But no, everyone is like Mystra that Mystra this...

No well known Selune cleric protagonist, she probably appeared in one book, as herself. In one book, dragons fired a Yamato beam canon at her and still not much of a mention of her...

Don't know for how much time this euphoria will last, as perhaps Selune herself might resurrect Mystra tomorrow, but I hope she gets some limelight. At least I will do my part, hence I will make an immersing story for my foundry missions dedicated to Selune.

EDIT: On a side note, Mystra has always helped Selune and probably saved Selune's life (as Selune has a habit to become weak 'for the greater good') so I like Mystra too, but yeah - it will always be like a friendly rivalary with her followers.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Yeah sounds good and I really don't want folks getting the wrong idea about ether of us; Aandre and I both have strong opinions and while we don't agree on everything we both want the game to succeed.

Anyway moving forward I think we will both try harder not to bicker.

Definitely. Glad we worked things out.

Man I can't wait to see the look on the kobald faces when he sees us two turn the corner!! :)

• Options
    edited August 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Yes please allow me the indulgence - to savor this moment. Mystra has lot of literature dedicated to her.
    The indulgence is well deserved, I shall not dispute. I meant no trespass upon the divine radiance of Selune's light.

*the god-sworn mage kindly lowers his head in divine respect of the radiant Selune*
  • Options
    ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    Definitely. Glad we worked things out.

Man I can't wait to see the look on the kobald faces when he sees us two turn the corner!! :)

I see it as 2 guys debating at either end<-->, for a better game for all.
  • Options
    kinster2kinster2 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    well im hoping at least the customization available equal star trek and maybe some of the character size changes available in champions. what i loved in champions was the fact that with enough patience you could make a realistic child character. it took me 6 hours to get it right. i use her template with every child toon i make even the males u could do this if u were careful. what i dont expect is the exaggeration of limb sizes u see in champions. i enjoyed the face scales in star trek my character on there is literal a digital version of me it was awesome.
  • Options
    deadarmoured87deadarmoured87 Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2012
    What i loved in champions was the fact that with enough patience you could make a realistic child character. it took me 6 hours to get it right. i use her template with every child toon i make even the males u could do this if u were careful.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAwnbE2k9uw
    If you're not a girl, that's pretty creepy b:chuckle
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    . There is absolutely no reason for any DM to "have" to switch to 4th, or even 3rd. My campaign continues unabated with the 2nd edition rules.

2e best thing ever invented by man !
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    2e best thing ever invented by man !

b:cry I miss my Thaco