test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Playable Races

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Howdy gang.

I was just thinking about the races that might be included in the game. The way I see it they're really spoiled for choice when it comes to available 4E races to choose from. Here's a list of current 4E Forgotten Realms races:
  • Deva
  • Dragonborn
  • Drow
  • Dwarf
  • Eladrin
  • Elf
  • Genasi
  • Githzerai
  • Gnoll
  • Gnome
  • Goliath
  • Half-Elf
  • Half-Orc
  • Halfling
  • Human
  • Longtooth Shifter
  • Minotaur
  • Razorclaw Shifter
  • Revenant
  • Shadar-kai
  • Shade
  • Shardmind
  • Tiefling
  • Vryloka
  • Wilden

That's all of the races from the D&D character builder list (excluding Dark Sun, Eberron and the Monster Manuals).

Eventually I would love to see all of these races in the game as playable races. But even if they are not I hope the developers include them somewhere as NPCs.

How about the rest of you, what do you want in the way of races in the game?

Cheers!
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2011
    There are about 10 in that list that would never see the light of day in any of my campaigns. That being said, this is not my campaign. My list would include:
    • Deva
    • Dragonborn
    • Dwarf
    • Eladrin
    • Elf
    • Gnome
    • Goliath
    • Half-Elf
    • Half-Orc
    • Halfling
    • Human
    • Minotaur
    • Revenant (ONLY with a compelling back story)
    • Shade (ONLY with a compelling back story)
    • Tiefling
    edited June 2011
    If I were to make a limited list of must have playable races:
    • Dragonborn (I'd love to create one :) )
    • Drow (FR PHB, plus I like them)
    • Dwarf
    • Eladrin
    • Elf
    • Genasi (FR PHB, not because I like them)
    • Gnome
    • Half-Elf
    • Half-Orc
    • Halfling
    • Human
    • Tiefling
    Then other races like Shifters and Devas would also interest me but not so important in my list. The rest of races are low priority to me so I'd consider them a nice bonus once the others are in.
    edited June 2011
    If you have played STO then you know Cryptic likes options; that said I believe one could infer that there will be several options upon release and then more added on later via the C-Store.
    edited June 2011
    Presbytier wrote: »
    If you have played STO then you know Cryptic likes options; that said I believe one could infer that there will be several options upon release and then more added on later via the C-Store.
    But what to YOU want?? :D
    edited June 2011
    Jharii wrote:
    There are about 10 in that list that would never see the light of day in any of my campaigns.

Which ones would those be, Jharii?
    edited June 2011
    Zobmie wrote: »
    Which ones would those be, Jharii?
    I responded with the list that I would include. :)

In my campaigns, I like some diversity, but tend to keep it aimed towards high fantasy/dark fantasy. As such, there is a lot of racial animosity and tensions. Keeping some of the races off limits leaves me room to have those races represented by nations/cities in the campaign world as places to visit to add levels of tension and suspense. And to be honest, I find some of the races to be a bit cheesy, with some of their powers mimicking class powers.
    edited June 2011
    Jharii wrote:
    But what do YOU want?? :D

As many as possible!:D The more the merrier I say(although I do believe that the Half-Orc is no longer a playable race in 4E, and to be honest I am not a fan of them).
    edited June 2011
    Presbytier wrote: »
    As many as possible!:D The more the merrier I say(although I do believe that the Half-Orc is no longer a playable race in 4E, and to be honest I am not a fan of them).

Half-Orc was in PHB2 along with Deva, Gnome, Goliath, and Shifter.

And personally, I am rather fond of Half-Orcs being one of the founding members of the only Half-Orc only meta-org (at least that I ever heard of) during the RPGA's Living Greyhawk campaign. Alas for the Clear Sky Camp, you were nuked to pointlessness with 3.5.

I tend to expect the launch races are going to be Human, Elf, Dwarf, Half-Elf, Drow, Tiefling and maybe Eladrin (not too different from the elf options) and Halfling (you already have one flavor of stunties with dwarf, why not add another).

Dragonborn I won't be too surprised to see as with the 4E changes to the Realms with Returned Abeir they are a native race now, just a question of whether they have the time to do the art elements for the draconic looking faces and skin textures since those are very different from the other mostly human'ish ones.

Genasi I would absolutely love to see as I greatly enjoy playing the race, but again it's a question of art time and how they setup the sub-races appearance optoins (crystals for hair, glowing lines of energy running along their skin, flames for hair, etc). Also have to hope we get the Abyssal tainted versions of them.

The other listed races in the FRPG are all pretty uncommon ones by how they are described there: Gnome, Goblin, Shifter, Half-Orc, Deva, Goliath, Shade. I won't be too surprised if we don't see them for some time to come.

Albiet PHB3 wasn't out at the time the FRPG came out but don't really see Minotaur, Shardmind, Wilden or Githzerai being that common in the Realms either.

The other races that are in 4E are rare enough that I don't expect a huge demand for people to want to play Gnolls for example (though, that said, I have a Gnoll LFR character...) and some like Warforged are pretty much meant to be Eberron races or with the Thri-Kreen a Dark Sun race rather then FR races.
    edited June 2011
    Half-orcs are still character races. They even have half-giants now (Goliaths).
    edited June 2011
    Hythian wrote: »
    Half-Orc was in PHB2 along with Deva, Gnome, Goliath, and Shifter.

And personally, I am rather fond of Half-Orcs being one of the founding members of the only Half-Orc only meta-org (at least that I ever heard of) during the RPGA's Living Greyhawk campaign.

Alas for the Clear Sky Camp, you were nuked to pointlessness with 3.5.

It is probably time I pick up PHB2 and 3.:o
    edited June 2011
    Hey, you scared me, Presbytier!! I don't play half-orcs but I'd find weird that races put in a PHB can get banned from PC realm.
    edited June 2011
    Wintersong wrote:
    Hey, you scared me, Presbytier!! I don't play half-orcs but I'd find weird that races put in a PHB can get banned from PC realm.

They where not in the first Player Handbook of 4E.
    edited June 2011
    All I care are for core races and maybe the Genasi and Drow. All the other races are superflux for the Forgotten Realms in my opinion.
    edited June 2011
    I would choose these races
    • Dragonborn
    • Drow
    • Dwarf
    • Eladrin
    • Elf
    • Githzerai
    • Gnome
    • Goliath
    • Half-Elf
    • Half-Orc
    • Halfling
    • Human
    • Minotaur
    • Tiefling
    edited June 2011
    Half Elves and Elves have been confirmed in a dev post today. We already see Drow and Tiefling and human. Eladrin seem to be out.
    edited June 2011
    It's not on the main list, but i'd like to add "Fairy Dragon" :D
    (dont' ask :rolleyes: )
    edited June 2011
    I haven't played 4ed and have only read the first PHB, so I don't know the current status in regards to races in the game, but from my ideal list would include:
    • Dwarf (including Duergar)
    • Elf Races (all sub-variants including Eladrin, Drow and Half-Elf)
    • Halfling
    • Human
    • Gnome (including Svirfneblin)
    • Goblinoid Races (all sub-variants including Goblins, Bugbears, Orcs, Half-Orcs, Gnolls, etc.)
    • Minotaurs
    • Ogres
    • Build-Your-Own Template*

* I haven't gotten around playing STO yet (not enough time, plus been devoting all my game time to CO), but I've read they have a way for you to build your own race---I suppose by selecting racial characteristics, benefits and such. Something like this would be an excellent way to include the whole range of potential diversity possible in D&D and a sword & sorcery fantasy game in general. There are MORE possible fantasy or even D&D-specific races than could ever be added to the game by the developers, and a Build-Your-Own Template of some sort would be an ideal way to make characters from races not added to the game yet, as well as characters with very complex backgrounds, such as those that are a mix of multiple races (human, elves, planar races, etc.).
    edited June 2011
    I would prefer that the monster races stay monsters. The whole "i needa playa monsta" thing irritates me.

Nothing that traditionally raids, eats, or enslaves people should be accepted in places where people live. Other people can get away with it because, well, they're people!
    edited June 2011
    tlantl wrote: »
    I would prefer that the monster races stay monsters. The whole "i needa playa monsta" thing irritates me.

Nothing that traditionally raids, eats, or enslaves people should be accepted in places where people live. Other people can get away with it because, well, they're people!

You know sometimes I agree with this, as some monsters only seem partially sentient, but then you see things like Satyrs grouped in as monsters and I can't think of them as monstrous as a ghoul or an elemental.
    edited June 2011
    Yes, but even good creatures will be shunned and feared by the average person in a town. In the game world the average peon will have no knowledge about the thing at the gates and if they live in fear of goblins, kobolds, and giant spiders, another monster trying to get into their town will be just as welcome.

They'd need to be convinced it is not a threat, but will always look upon the thing with mistrust. Others will want to kill it regardless.
    edited June 2011
    Yes, but even good creatures will be shunned and feared by the average person in a town. In the game world the average peon will have no knowledge about the thing at the gates and if they live in fear of goblins, kobolds, and giant spiders, another monster trying to get into their town will be just as welcome.

They'd need to be convinced it is not a threat, but will always look upon the thing with mistrust. Others will want to kill it regardless.

One thing to keep in mind is that Neverwinter is more of a wilderness outpost in this current setting, and with all of the changes, it is not unusual to find races that were once uncommon or unheard of in NW passing through or even vying for power in NW.
    edited June 2011
    I'm a simple soul
    • Human
    • Dwarf
    • Elf
    • Half Elf
    • Drow
    • Halfling
    • Tieflings

I can do without, Gnomes, Kinder, Minotaurs (Especially Blue ones Named Spiritslayer :rolleyes: ) Dragonborn, Eladrins, and Githyankees.
    edited June 2011
    I've been playing D&D since 4e came out and I've only ever played a monster race in one or two one-off sessions. But I like that I have the choice.

I definitely think that repercussions for playing as a “Monster” should be represented, that was actually a fun part of playing my Minotaur character. He wasn't allowed in most Inns, had to sleep in stables that sort of thing. He most definitely was not the face of the party, but he earned the trust of the party through his actions, and the party earned the trust of the townspeople through it's success.

It was a process and I appreciated the opportunity to give it a try.
    edited June 2011
    Human is a natural fit, and already included in-game.

Elf are one of my favorites, and are Dev post confirmed to be in.

Half-Elf are also Dev post confirmed to be in. I do hope they'll turn out better than the poor treatment DDO gave them visually (*chants mantra* please follow concept art, please follow concept art...)

Eladrin are not presently advertised to be in, but if I wanted to play a fey spellcaster, I would've wanted access to them a lot more than I'd have wanted the Drow race around. Considering how moon elves are supposedly the most common elves and in turn translated into Eladrins in 4th-edition... it's going to be kind of wierd not to have them around over wood elves and wild elves.

Drow, I like them, but wish they were only NPC opponents. My desire for them to remain credible as a race outweighs my desire to play them.

Dragonborn is a race I like in Core 4E (Nentir Vale, Nerath, Point of Light setting) but they seem to be a different beast in FR 4E. I think I'm okay with them not being around. I don't really approved of playing monsters, and as far as I'm concerned races like Dragonborn are in to help fill that desire for impersonating the more mosntrous of nature.

Halflings are a mixed bag for me. I think they have a place, but I don't like the diminutive scoundrel gypsies very much.

Gnome is a race, by contrast, that I find much strengthened by their 4th-edition fey interpretation and I'd enjoy seeing them around.

Half-Orc is a race that has long have a solid place in D&D and I'd appreciate having it around. They also kid of fill a more brutish niche like the dragonborn.

Genasi don't have much going for them in my eyes, but I know they have a presence in FR 4E. I think I'd rather see them around instead of the Drow. At least they make a more credible PC race even if they're supposed to be rare.

Tieflings as presented in 4E, I like. I'm glad they're in. It may be that the initial absence of the Eladrin race will be to their benefit as spellcasters (early versions of the Tieflings in 4E books were mechanically a little lackluster until more lately with better feat support and all). They also fit with the dragonborn and the half-orc in satisfying the player desire to explore more questionable or monstrous angles. Heck, with the tieflings in, we shouldn't even need Drow elves. >_<

Dwarves aren't a race I usually play, but I enjoy seeing them around and they're pretty much the quintessential fighter race with the Dragonborn out of the picture for the time being. I, for one, will be glad to see more dwarven warriors/clerics over warforged in DDO.

The above are the races that I care more of in being in the game. Others surely exist and I could get behind the presence of Devas, Shifters and Goliaths. Maybe even Wildens and Revenants (I like the mechanics behind those two).

The rest? Monsters, Githzerai, Warforged, Shardminds... I'd rather not see them.
    edited June 2011
    Since most people don't mention Eldarin... I think you don't know what they are? They are, in fact, standard elves: Moon Elves.

In DnD 4 ed elven race was divided into:

Eladrin (Moon elves and Sun Elves)
    Elves (Wood elves and Wild Elves)
    Drow (Dark Elves)

And as the Moon Elves were the default elves in the DnD games I kind of wonder if there really will be no Eladrin.
    edited June 2011
    Yeah. The prospect of seeming the more reclusive and withdrawn wood and wild elves show up rather than the more common Moon elves is pretty odd.
    edited June 2011

What's wrong with monster races, most are intelligent, and their are always exceptions to the rules. A character isn't just ruled on nature, nor are they ruled entirely on nurture. They are an individual that can (though not always) digress from the rest of their society's normality.

As for races I'd like to see, as with classes, take from the first Players Handbook...ummm...first. Dragonborn, Dwarf, Elf, Eladrin, Halfling, Half-Elf, Human, and Tiefling. I believe those were the choices. Also Drow and Genesai were introduced in Forgotten Realm book so they should be added.

Personally I would like the Half-Orcs, Gnomes, and Goliaths added. Though Ogres would be nice :D as would some of the goblinoid races.

And for those who don't know Dragonborn existed before 4th Edition though a character had to go through some sort of rite to become one. They were originally called Bahumat's Dragonborn. (Spelling and/or exact title maybe a little off). They were either found in the Tome of Dragons or Dragon's Magic...a friend owned the books, so I never sat down and really delved into the books.
    edited June 2011
    As my friend has said, "I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for the entire [first] player's handbook on release".
    edited June 2011
    Just a correction from my earlier comment that Dragonborn existed in 3.5, and were called Dragonborn of Bahamut. A player would have to be reborn as a Dragonborn. It was found in Races of the Dragon.
    edited June 2011
    Just a correction from my earlier comment that Dragonborn existed in 3.5, and were called Dragonborn of Bahamut. A player would have to be reborn as a Dragonborn. It was found in Races of the Dragon.

Thanks for the research! :)