test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Announcing Neverwinter: Undermountain

Comments

• yidrilyidril Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    It was expected an expansion after seeing that in the last mods basically gave the team, the game already needs it. I will give my opinion to my way of seeing the game. With the expansion would have been great a new class as the Bardo being a class heal or dps, coming to cover the option of possible third healer. The SW would take away the option of being a healer, I think in my opinion it does not go with what we all understand by a warlock, in my opinion a warlock is a dps that relies on its damage with the use of demons (in this case with the puppet). Finally, what I think would improve a lot is to end the issue of the buff / debuff classes and that the game is based on the trinity tanke / heal / dps. The issue of classes buff / debuff seems to me to see something discriminatory because it forces people to play in a way and if they do not expel them or they are not accepted, in the same way it makes other classes do not have space to to be able to play
  • fns2005fns2005 Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    > @smokebailey said:
    > Just hope this means we don't have to be chugging potions like a drunk. o.o

Yup and they don't drop anymore.
  • lordtweety#3604 lordtweety Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    tgwolf said:

TL;DR

Don't freak out without details.
    This is something the game needs.
    If I can write this, you can grab a drink, sit back and read it.

Great post and good summary. Totally agree, just never had the time or patience to spell it out for those who don't seem to understand. So thanks for posting what I was thinking!
    Main: Angels Scar
    Guild: Ruathym Corsairs
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    About recovery/lifesteal...why are you assuming the replacements will be useless?

Also...there is a lot of info that has not been revealed (or leaked). I can think of 2-3 things most people will love, a few that some will love and others will hate, and one which I really hope will get changed this week.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    tgwolf said:

As Stats they are going to disappear. As a function, they will not.

Recovery made Encounters and Dailies as usable as At-Wills and that too, is not right. At-Wills, you get why they're called that, right?

TL;DR

The problem with the At-wills is two fold. One, spamming them over and over is boring and tedious. It gets old really fast and takes a lot of the "whiz bang" out of the game. And for a game than depends on "whiz bang" it's a boned head move, because let's admit it, NW is a really fancy slot machine. Taking away our stimuli and reducing it to pressing At Wills over and over will just be as fun as watching paint dry. Much of the fun of NW is from watching and preforming all our spells/skills. The second reason using them more is problematic is that if you are playing squishy toons and are in places like Chult where the mobs are already overwhelming not being able to lean on Encounters and Dailies to keep them at bay will make them incredibly frustrating (or more so than they are now) and people won't want to play them.

Maybe I'm wrong and there will be a new mechanics that let us do more damage with At Wills and/or take on mobs but still, just sounds boring to me. This all feels like some sneaky way to get us all to play in groups more, even for solo content but I can tell you, for a lot of us, it's not a feasible thing to do and will drive us away.
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • silvershard#4275 silvershard Member Posts: 95 Arc User

tgwolf said:

As Stats they are going to disappear. As a function, they will not.

Recovery made Encounters and Dailies as usable as At-Wills and that too, is not right. At-Wills, you get why they're called that, right?

TL;DR

The problem with the At-wills is two fold. One, spamming them over and over is boring and tedious. It gets old really fast and takes a lot of the "whiz bang" out of the game. And for a game than depends on "whiz bang" it's a boned head move, because let's admit it, NW is a really fancy slot machine. Taking away our stimuli and reducing it to pressing At Wills over and over will just be as fun as watching paint dry. Much of the fun of NW is from watching and preforming all our spells/skills. The second reason using them more is problematic is that if you are playing squishy toons and are in places like Chult where the mobs are already overwhelming not being able to lean on Encounters and Dailies to keep them at bay will make them incredibly frustrating (or more so than they are now) and people won't want to play them.

Maybe I'm wrong and there will be a new mechanics that let us do more damage with At Wills and/or take on mobs but still, just sounds boring to me. This all feels like some sneaky way to get us all to play in groups more, even for solo content but I can tell you, for a lot of us, it's not a feasible thing to do and will drive us away.
    They're not removing dailies and encounters.
    Just slowing down the rate at which they can fire.
    If you really get bored that quickly, maybe don't fire them all at once and leave one for that 4 or 5 second mark when your attention begins to wander?

And yeah, as to this all being a sneaky plan to get us to play solo content in groups, I think you're probably wrong.
  • keeganansgarkeeganansgar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I thought the premise behind the game was that I could play with just my character and a companion.... now I will need to make a friend so I can have someone to heal my "Barbarian"
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    nl54#3191 said:

"Crit cap is now 50%" I'm 100% crit, so what happens to all of my rank 11/12 brutals? There better be some kind of enchant exchange available. I can understand gear becoming obsolete, but enchants? Come on, now.

You no longer just keep stacking Crit till it hits a certain score then leave it cos its at 100% so job done, Champagne all round.

Crit Chance is now capped at 50% + the base 5%. So 55%.

If you read the announcement, you'll see that Critical Avoidance is a new stat that opposes the Crit Chance.
    Every monster in a given zone will have a fixed Crit Avoid. You measure your "Critical Strike" stat against their "Crit Avoid" score to determine your Crit Chance %. (I can't remember the exact formula, but it's on the announcement and is fairly simple.)

So, if you are in a zone where the monsters have a lower Crit Avoid, you don't need as much Crit to achieve the 55%. But if you are in high end content where the standard Crit Avoid is much higher, you will need more Critical Strike score to beat the Crit Resist and achieve 55%.

That's the whole point of the change.
    "Opposing Scores" allow Power Creep to be manageable.

You will still need to increase your Crit stat as new content drops. As new monsters will have higher Crit Resist. Just like we always have with AP and Resistance Ignored vs monsters' ever increasing Def stats.

Most people won't NEED to stack the Crit score required to hit 55% in the highest level content, but that probably won't stop people thinking they do.
    It's kind of like how most people don't NEED 100%+ AP, but read it in a Build Guide or someone on here says "Oh, we all need 105 AP now..." and they go build a 13K toon with 105% AP. It's their choice, but it's a waste of resources.

Of course, because all monsters in a zone have the same stats and can't change theirs to match or beat yours, it works both ways, and one of the good things about this is that you will be able to stack your OWN Critical Avoidance to any specific level that will guarantee that the monsters in any given zone have no more than a 5% (the lowest basic chance) of hitting YOU with a Crit. (So, there's one part of that damage mitigation that will help squishies not get One-Shot as often, right there.)

Some people will just aim for whatever the highest needed is so that they don't have to think about redressing their toon for each zone. That;s up to them. Others will use load outs, or switch stuff about on the fly.

It gives options.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    i am left wondering if crit is worth stacking at all anymore. owlbears are probably going to become a lot more popular again
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User

i am left wondering if crit is worth stacking at all anymore. owlbears are probably going to become a lot more popular again

I'm more curious about what's happening to all the crit dependent powers/class features like spell storm, no pity no mercy, all consuming curse, ect.
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User

arcanjo86 said:

hustin1 said:

Devs, you need to think about soloability. 99% of our quests are done solo, and healing potions don't drop anymore.

stones of health on ah pc are cheap
    yeah they are cheap now.. but they're probably not going to remain so. lol

they will if they keep them on lockboxes drops
    ghoulz66 said:

I'm more curious about what's happening to all the crit dependent powers/class features like spell storm, no pity no mercy, all consuming curse, ect.
    they are getting a rework aswell as the feats tree.
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    LOL i was out for a week and got hit by a flood when i got back, all i could see in the foruns was a resume of teh changes before the water came inside XD

Now i do Believe they should had Announced "NW online 2" new server from lv.1 and give old players some free stuff in the stores like some mounts and alt spaces...

Because would be much easier to start from scratch than change this much, i'm waiting a bugfest, hope i'm wrong but i'm not optimistic...

lets see what happens when it hit preview...
  • mikewho#5331 mikewho Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    I’ve come to terms with the change, (after hours of crying in a corner) I just hope I can finish chult and Barovia before the change spreads to ps4
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    adinosii said:

About recovery/lifesteal...why are you assuming the replacements will be useless?

Also...there is a lot of info that has not been revealed (or leaked). I can think of 2-3 things most people will love, a few that some will love and others will hate, and one which I really hope will get changed this week.

lol you tease :)
  • lardesonlardeson Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    Seeing ppl still moan about this when its not even on preview is hilarious. It's true that most of the changes that have been made, especially with mod6 were kinda painful, but the question is. dint we move on? dint we adapt? imagine how much classes like tr and cw have had to adapt to changes through the years. we dint just go like, hey i just bought a warhorse mount and now there's something better, therefore i want my money back, nope, it doesn't work that way, its a game, you take what it offers you, otherwise try build one yourself. my only issue for ages has always been class balance and since mod13 they've really been trying hard to work towards it. Mod16 is set to actualize the game, as much as i may have got used to 9 mins cradle, there are some stats i had never seen in any other mmo, like 100%, a system where u almost dont need "healers", not saying dc cos for a long HAMSTER while now, they haven't been "healing", and a few other stuff, like IL scaling in dungeons, etc. Hopefully the next step they take is working on the loot system, i personally dont find it funny how random it can get, like you can be playing since beta and still not get any brilliant drop, then get new players get leg mounts, leg rings on first runs and blabla. yes, there has to be a better loot system that makes everyone feel equally rewarded, loot rerolls could be a possible solution to that or having a certain amount of runs/attempts where certain loots are guaranteed. but apart from that i think we really need to wait for it to even go on preview, test out everything testable, and if you aint into testing, there are a bunch of players willing to help u out with details, just ask, too early to moan.
    Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?

Like someone above mentioned, they have used actual veteran players to test this new mod. So while a lot of you seem to want to rant and rave about the changes coming and are expecting a total disaster, I am not.

The state of the game needs the change. Power creep is ridiculous, being part of a 20 min Castle Ravenloft is fun the first few times. After that, it's boring. I did a 2 man FBI the other day, one SW and me on my girlfriends CW MOF that I was testing. This should not be possible.

So bring on the change, it is long overdue.

Agree.

When your in a party that is essentially burning down Count Strahd in one rotation how can they make content that is challenging for that party as well as being doable for other lesser parties??

Bringing back healing as relevant - good.

If they reduce the effectiveness of life steal, then maybe they can bring back incremental damage as a factor in fights instead of having to rely on massive hits to make things challenging. At the moment its either you get 1 shotted or you just lifesteal your HP back easily. Its probably impossible to code around.

Hopefully some of these changes will bridge the gap a little bit between the elites and the rest

Plenty of us end game players that are likely to cop the biggest whack should have enough resources built up by flying through the end game dungeons with ease for last few years to deal with it.
    ilithyn said:

divectore said:

March 1? 10 days before and no preview test server? based on my experience, @everyone could expect 1 may.

3.1 is when they expect it to hit test not go live. at least that's my read

Don't know why they bother putting it on the test servers. All experience tells us they'll listen to nothing that is said, fix none of the bugs that are pointed out and launch it exactly as it is because that's how they want it to be. So personally I can't see why they can't just put it out on March 1st anyway, it'll be what we're getting anyway.
    If they find a bug that enables players to generate lots and lots of AD during testing, they will fix that.

tbh i haven't found any of the bugs, that were allowed to go live, game breaking.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User

I thought the premise behind the game was that I could play with just my character and a companion.... now I will need to make a friend so I can have someone to heal my "Barbarian"

If right now you are running your DPS Barbarian with a DPS companion in order to most effectively kill things quickly and fear that you may need to make friends with a Cleric, let me offer this alternative.

Use a companion that can heal your Barbarian.
    Maybe you will find that you don't need a Cleric buddy for solo content after all.
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited February 2019

If right now you are running your DPS Barbarian with a DPS companion in order to most effectively kill things quickly and fear that you may need to make friends with a Cleric, let me offer this alternative.

Maybe you will find that you don't need a Cleric buddy for solo content after all.
    Don't know how many times I've said this though not in the exact same words. That's what those comps are there for though there was no reason to use them in the past after a certain point. Now there might be.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • fns2005fns2005 Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    > @lantern22 said:
    > If they reduce the effectiveness of life steal, then maybe they can bring back incremental damage as a factor in fights instead of having to rely on massive hits to make things challenging. At the moment its either you get 1 shotted or you just lifesteal your HP back easily. Its probably impossible to code around.

This right here is huge if healing will be a thing again. Can't heal dead people who get one-shot by old boss mechanics and mod 16 stats.
    rafaelda said:

LOL i was out for a week and got hit by a flood when i got back, all i could see in the foruns was a resume of teh changes before the water came inside XD

Now i do Believe they should had Announced "NW online 2" new server from lv.1 and give old players some free stuff in the stores like some mounts and alt spaces...

Because would be much easier to start from scratch than change this much, i'm waiting a bugfest, hope i'm wrong but i'm not optimistic...

lets see what happens when it hit preview...

they are changing old code with new code, so im expecting lesser bugs.
  • lordrhavinlordrhavin Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited February 2019

If someone could code the AI of those duffers to acually note a red floor, they might be useful…
  • momof31978#2332 momof31978 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I have 1 question/suggestion. Do you plan on allowing us to have an opportunity to exchange our enchants in the new mod. If so, that will be a huge relief to my main anxiety about the changes. It is a little scary, but I love this game and will continue to play for many many years to come!
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User

Only problem, is that most of them have terrible AI and will not heal you when you may need it most.
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Angel_of_Protection
    Will do, 5% damage reduction plus heals plus covering when revived, but I guess it was one of the worse KI.. aggro magnet.
    What about usefull controller companions, Are there any?
    Paranoid Dillusion maybe?
This discussion has been closed.