test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] CW Mechanics Guide: (Mod 13)

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

Question is - does it proc on the black sheep Maelstrom of Chaos? I think it should. Perhaps it should also proc on Shard of Avalanche.

I am not going to test a daily attack which is inferior to Oppresive Force in every way but one, and I see little point in testing the bowling ball if it's not part of the useful PvE CW kit.

• c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    I don't know, I find it useful on Tyrant bhe for quicker ap gain and faster reach of mobs. Oh, well...
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    Was respect tokens given to players for the changes to CW, DC, SW, etc class when mod 13 was released?

I would like to know if I should spend AD now and respect my MoF DPS loadout or if I will be able to do it for free when Mod 13 lands.
  • dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User

Was respect tokens given to players for the changes to CW, DC, SW, etc class when mod 13 was released?

I would like to know if I should spend AD now and respect my MoF DPS loadout or if I will be able to do it for free when Mod 13 lands.

I asked on reddit and was informed that CW did not get one.
    dairyzeus said:

I asked on reddit and was informed that CW did not get one.
    Thanks for this. It looks like my MoF will get updated tomorrow for mod 13.
  • vincentr6669vincentr6669 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    I have some questions about some parts:

Shatter Strike: This power is weird. Against trash mobs, it has a chance to trigger a proc for 300% of weapon damage, which is an independant proc and has its own unique list of buffs/debuffs that modify it. Against bosses, it is an Inherited proc for 33.66% of weapon damage, that is modified by the buffs/debuffs that modify the skill it procs off. Either way, it triggers on all powers, not just Control powers and on every tick of everything except Entangling Force, Ray of Enfeeblement and Imprisonment. In the case of both the CC and non CC immune version, if the skill that procs it crits, it will inherit the crit modifier.

Does the normal (300% weapon damage) or the CC-immune version (33%) get affected by Power? Or only by buffs/debuffs?

The Drow racial bonus Darkfire can be multiprocced by most CW abilities. This makes it a viable race option if you wish to have more team utility. It is a 5% debuff.

How many times can Darkfire stack from multiproc? Which abilities does multiproc it? And how/which situations do they do it?

Storm Pillar counts as an entity and grants combat advantage if you stand on the opposite side of the target from it.

If combat advantage by positioning is not working, is safe to assume that Storm Pillar + positioning doesn't grant CA, right? I mean, it seems pretty obvious, but with this game i never know lol

The Chultan Tiger is the undeniable BiS come mod 13, as it has a 10% debuff, like the Sellsword, Con Artist and Rebel Merc and it also has a useful active bonus. 5% increased damage for 25 seconds is longer than most fights and the timer resets at the end of combat, which means in most cases it has 100% uptime. The debuff does stack, like the sword trio, however, in order for it to be applied the tiger needs to have Combat Advantage.

I thought for the debuff to be applied it only needed bleed on its targets. AFAIK the tiger has a single-target that only applies bleed through CAdv, and has an AoE bleed that does not need CAdv to be applied, so it can apply the debuff without CAdv, unless its AI uses its single target attack only.

Combatant’s Maneuver: Combatants Maneuver is a buff that adds 5% Combat Advantage Damage after using a control power. The buff lasts 10 seconds and is refreshed if you use another control power within the period that it is up. The CW powers that trigger it are: Ray of Frost, Repel, Entangling Force, Ice Knife, Imprisonment and Chill Strike. It can be triggered against CC Immune targets.

What about powers that triggers Controlled Momentum? They are considered "control" too, do they not trigger this?
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited March 2018

I have some questions about some parts:

Shatter Strike: This power is weird. Against trash mobs, it has a chance to trigger a proc for 300% of weapon damage, which is an independant proc and has its own unique list of buffs/debuffs that modify it. Against bosses, it is an Inherited proc for 33.66% of weapon damage, that is modified by the buffs/debuffs that modify the skill it procs off. Either way, it triggers on all powers, not just Control powers and on every tick of everything except Entangling Force, Ray of Enfeeblement and Imprisonment. In the case of both the CC and non CC immune version, if the skill that procs it crits, it will inherit the crit modifier.

Does the normal (300% weapon damage) or the CC-immune version (33%) get affected by Power? Or only by buffs/debuffs?

The Drow racial bonus Darkfire can be multiprocced by most CW abilities. This makes it a viable race option if you wish to have more team utility. It is a 5% debuff.

How many times can Darkfire stack from multiproc? Which abilities does multiproc it? And how/which situations do they do it?

Storm Pillar counts as an entity and grants combat advantage if you stand on the opposite side of the target from it.

If combat advantage by positioning is not working, is safe to assume that Storm Pillar + positioning doesn't grant CA, right? I mean, it seems pretty obvious, but with this game i never know lol

The Chultan Tiger is the undeniable BiS come mod 13, as it has a 10% debuff, like the Sellsword, Con Artist and Rebel Merc and it also has a useful active bonus. 5% increased damage for 25 seconds is longer than most fights and the timer resets at the end of combat, which means in most cases it has 100% uptime. The debuff does stack, like the sword trio, however, in order for it to be applied the tiger needs to have Combat Advantage.

I thought for the debuff to be applied it only needed bleed on its targets. AFAIK the tiger has a single-target that only applies bleed through CAdv, and has an AoE bleed that does not need CAdv to be applied, so it can apply the debuff without CAdv, unless its AI uses its single target attack only.

Combatant’s Maneuver: Combatants Maneuver is a buff that adds 5% Combat Advantage Damage after using a control power. The buff lasts 10 seconds and is refreshed if you use another control power within the period that it is up. The CW powers that trigger it are: Ray of Frost, Repel, Entangling Force, Ice Knife, Imprisonment and Chill Strike. It can be triggered against CC Immune targets.

What about powers that triggers Controlled Momentum? They are considered "control" too, do they not trigger this?
    1) Both versions of shatter strike are effected by power.

2) This was the result of my test for darkfire (It is quite old and should probably be redone):

The following skills stack Darkfire:
    • Icy Terrain
    • Oppressive Force
    • Shard of Endless Avalanche
    • Furious Immolation
    These abilities did not trigger Darkfire in a sample size of over 200 hits of each:
    • Smoulder
    • Rimefire
    • Storm Spell (To check this I took advantage of the bug that allows Storm Spell to trigger on targets you don't actually hit. These procs do noticeably less damage than normal SS procs so it is easy to differentiate them in the combat logs+I watched and the icon was never applied to the other targets hit) -- This was an old bug, I cannot replicate this test anymore.
    • Warped Magics
    • Creeping Frost
    • Abyss of Chaos
    These skills refreshed the duration of Darkfire:
    • Ray of Frost
    • Magic Missiles
    • Conduit of Ice
    • Icy Rays
    • Chilling Cloud
    • Storm Pillar
    • Chill Strike
    • Sudden Storm
    • Entangling Force
    • Steal Time
    • Imprisonment
    • Ray of Enfeeblement
    • Repel
    • Ice Knife
    • Disintegrate
    • Ice Storm
    • Maelstrom of Chaos
    • Scorching Burst
    • Shield Pulse
    • Fanning the Flame
    • Arcane Singularity

I have seen it stack over 6 times, in theory there is no upper limit on the number of stacks if you keep refreshing them with the other powers, but its unlikely to happen. 2-3 procs is more realistic.

3) Correct, I updated the note to specify this. Before CA via positioning was broken it did grant CA and it will still grant the circle to indicate CA, however no damage bonus is given.

4) Its the AI, it refuses to debuff stuff unless it has CA. TBH the AI of this pet is really bad. It moves really slow, it is late to combat and is prone to falling off cliffs.

5) They do not trigger this. In general descriptors in this game are not very accurate. For example, Focused Wizardry debuffs a different list of powers to those buffed by Wizard's Wrath, which also buffs a different list of powers to Evocation. You need to check everything on its own and assume the descriptor is meaningless.
    Post edited by thefabricant on
    Thanks for the answers, Sharp! Only one question still remains:
    4) Its the AI, it refuses to debuff stuff unless it has CA. TBH the AI of this pet is really bad. It moves really slow, it is late to combat and is prone to falling off cliffs.
    Does this mean that the tiger never use its Area Bleed Attack and only uses its Single Target? Or does this mean it never uses any attack at all while it doesn't have CA up? The 1st interpretation seems more likely, but the way you worded makes room for the 2nd understanding.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

Thanks for the answers, Sharp! Only one question still remains:

Does this mean that the tiger never use its Area Bleed Attack and only uses its Single Target? Or does this mean it never uses any attack at all while it doesn't have CA up? The 1st interpretation seems more likely, but the way you worded makes room for the 2nd understanding.

It does the first and not the 2nd.
  • fns2005fns2005 Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    Will the Oppressive Force bug be nerfed?
  • darksbain#8646 darksbain Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I have noticed after mod 13 changes that ray of frost procs spell storm a lot.would it be worth switching from dread to vorpal because it will buff at wills?I cannot test myself.unbuffed 80k power,101% crit, 104% crit severity before enchant bonus
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

I have noticed after mod 13 changes that ray of frost procs spell storm a lot.would it be worth switching from dread to vorpal because it will buff at wills?I cannot test myself.unbuffed 80k power,101% crit, 104% crit severity before enchant bonus

Not really.

You might as well run a Feytouched at that point, since the % DPS Increase on Feytouched is generally comparable, if not superior to Vorpal in almost all cases on Critting abilities/procs.

Additionally, Feytouched also has the oneup on Vorpal for boosting the damage of your non-Critting sources, which includes the all important Aura of Courage.

rjc9000 said:

Not really.

You might as well run a Feytouched at that point, since the % DPS Increase on Feytouched is generally comparable, if not superior to Vorpal in almost all cases on Critting abilities/procs.

Additionally, Feytouched also has the oneup on Vorpal for boosting the damage of your non-Critting sources, which includes the all important Aura of Courage.
    As a longtime spellstorm wizard I Disagree and as someone who doesn't build up characters by utilizing one single feat from a completely different class, feytouched is not better in comparison when there're no buffs from another characters to be taken, especially not in terms of chult hunting or Mad Wizard or similar when there's no OP OP.
    We speak about a SpellStorm with 60-100% Crit chance. Don't even need a full 100% to see just how much more effective is SpellStorm in all circumstances, and especially on AoE Renegade CW without speccing into FW. And with each new 400+ power, this build becomes stronger and stronger. It's essentially the MOD5 build with the plausibility of Sudden Storm instead of Disintegrate.

It absolutely sucks at bosses in comparison to FW, but for quick burst AoE IT (CoI) > CoI (IT) > OF + ST + Sudden Storm (AoE)/ RoE (single target proc) for that sweet 0.5 ICD. All you see is zap zap zap zap zap zap zap zap zap zap zap zap or as I like to call "the orange screen".

Killed many Razorrexes like that, alone. They stand up, they drop.

Fey is for single targets and MoFs. And if someone already goes into dung, he will play a MoF anywayz atm so no reason not to take vorp on a SpellStorm CW. It's possibly the cheapest thing. I got one unpara vorp for selling a pure fey.

In the best case scenario Vorp (SS CW) + Fey (Single Target MoF). Easily able to switch at campfire.
    True Neutral
    rjc9000 said:

Not really.

Last year the devs fixed all enchantments and stated that the best ones will be LB only enchantments and Vorpal. As it stands now that is not the case. Any enchantments that is better than Dread, Bronzewood and Vorpal will eventually be FIXED. It is why I'm staying away from the Fey. My gut tells me that mod 14 that Trans and Unp. Fey will be adjusted to have the same up time and cool down that all other ranks of Fey have. What then to all the player who invested into an over priced enchantment. The lighting got fixed, I'm sure the Fey is next.

I got a Dread and will stick with the dread. My flaming that I had, went over to my GF until I can get her her Terror.

I didn't get a Lighting enchantment and I'm not going to get a Fey. This is a ploy for us to use our in game AD and real world money. I stick with the enchantment that has been good for a CW now for quite a while, maybe not BiS but good enough. IMO, dread is superior simply because it offers a better debuff than the Fey.
  • ravnazrael1ravnazrael1 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    I dunno, i think dread is great but as indicated doesnt help with daily and aura of courage. Not sure id really use a vorpal at this point on my cw.. Not real big fan of the feytouched either so unsure what to go with honestly. Currently have a fey but open to options
    edited March 2018
    Fey is all around best ench to possess (jack of all trades) since it does boost the base damage. It's completely mandatory on the hi-end CWs who utilize single target damage and party buff/debuff compositions. So if you run a lot of Dungeons there are only 2 options

Frost ench
    Fey ench

Dread not really that great, but decent in cases when there's no OP (very, very rare). In any case Dread for AoE and Fey for single target/boss fight. Frost for people who really know what they're doing and their primary goal is to finish asap.

---

I speak from a standpoint of a superfast, superburst damage that happens at once to at least 10+ targets and in such a scenario fey pales in comparison to vorpal's ability to increase the crit damage to a feature Storm Spell.
    It is so cheap that it would be a waste not to take one atm.

Don't need an unpara one, trans is good enough for 2 mil AD and the rest can go to some Black Ice R13s. A cheap and efficient way to build up quick burst damage. Super-easy for hunting in Omu. Just my 2 cents.
    True Neutral
  • trzebiat#2067 trzebiat Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    With my Crit Sev and CA bonus Vorpal would be 21-22% damage increase on things that can crit. But I agree, the price is so low for Perfect Vorpal it's good cheap alternative.

Is mastery slot still not considered encounter in terms of being boosted by Dread?

Is mastery slot still not considered encounter in terms of being boosted by Dread?

I didn't even know that TAB/mastery was not affected by Dread. Do you know if DC encounters from Divinity Mode suffers the same problem?
  • gr33sygr33sy Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Since Storm Spell is an inherited proc, does it get the Dread crit severity bonus if procced by an encounter power? If so, if you can build your daily fast enough to use OF once per AoE group, is it still worth using Dread over Vorpal?
    One of the pricey ways is to get Potion of Power
    True Neutral
  • frodnikk#4257 frodnikk Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    guys can anyone tell of a spec oppresor(frigid winds and controlled momentum)/thaum with spell twisting behaves ?
    Losing empowerement maybe a loss of 10-15% but how much more dps is shatter compared to assailant/warp magics ? is it worth it for maximizing dps? (ofc we allways speak for an spellstorm spec).

guys can anyone tell of a spec oppresor(frigid winds and controlled momentum)/thaum with spell twisting behaves ?
    Losing empowerement maybe a loss of 10-15% but how much more dps is shatter compared to assailant/warp magics ? is it worth it for maximizing dps? (ofc we allways speak for an spellstorm spec).

Just get your recovery to 11K and you can run without spell twisting. I have mine at 10K before I pop a potion. Potions get me to a bit over 11K. No need for spell twisting.
  • frodnikk#4257 frodnikk Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    ye is it better though anyone tried it ? dps wise
  • fightdawalrus#5058 fightdawalrus Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    > @mebengalsfan#9264 said:
    > I have noticed after mod 13 changes that ray of frost procs spell storm a lot.would it be worth switching from dread to vorpal because it will buff at wills?I cannot test myself.unbuffed 80k power,101% crit, 104% crit severity before enchant bonus
    >
    > Not really.
    >
    > You might as well run a Feytouched at that point, since the % DPS Increase on Feytouched is generally comparable, if not superior to Vorpal in almost all cases on Critting abilities/procs.
    >
    > Additionally, Feytouched also has the oneup on Vorpal for boosting the damage of your non-Critting sources, which includes the all important Aura of Courage.
    >
    > Last year the devs fixed all enchantments and stated that the best ones will be LB only enchantments and Vorpal. As it stands now that is not the case. Any enchantments that is better than Dread, Bronzewood and Vorpal will eventually be FIXED. It is why I'm staying away from the Fey. My gut tells me that mod 14 that Trans and Unp. Fey will be adjusted to have the same up time and cool down that all other ranks of Fey have. What then to all the player who invested into an over priced enchantment. The lighting got fixed, I'm sure the Fey is next.
    >
    > I got a Dread and will stick with the dread. My flaming that I had, went over to my GF until I can get her her Terror.
    >
    > I didn't get a Lighting enchantment and I'm not going to get a Fey. This is a ploy for us to use our in game AD and real world money. I stick with the enchantment that has been good for a CW now for quite a while, maybe not BiS but good enough. IMO, dread is superior simply because it offers a better debuff than the Fey.

You are comparing the Lightning to Fey?

Your comment comes across as bitter and as if you can't get certain "BiS" enchants so you make up imaginary situations and use of your "gut feeling".
    edited April 2018
    THE ORANGE SCREEN

Here is something for that cheddarlord who disagrees with what I state lol

Portraying the Storm Spell's potency in combination with Vorpal. In cases like this Vorpal outshines Fey by a long margin.

In each of these I kill around 100-200 mobs at once. Sometimes it freezes the PC because the damage floaters go apeshit. The yellow floaters are insignia bonus magistrate's whatever + Vengeful Heat + whatever else I've got to deal dots, I've no idea, it's just silly at this point...

True Neutral
  • astrotiger5astrotiger5 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    Close to half of the CW spells lvl 30 or less have to do with "ice" or something to do with cold..."Conduct of Ice"..."Ray of Frost"..."Chill Strike" or "Ice Storm". If CW are the Masters of Elemental Force, Fire/Air/Water/ Earth, where are the elemental spells.
    What "real-world" child, playing with a lens, had "frying" some ants with a focus beam of sunlight! Faerun world has lens too, what CW would want the first spell the "fry" a enemy (the DC have it..."Daunting Light").
    What CW would want the power to evoke Shards that Blackmantle do...a spell that progressive up rank (1)ice...(2)earth...(3) crystal...(4)metal.
    I don't knew...
  • masterogamasteroga Member Posts: 474 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    c1k4ml3kc3: I don't understand what your point above is. Those screenshots with a fey would have resulted in slightly larger numbers, and also some very small numbers from the Feys small proc would have been added into that mess

From having no enchant slotted to slotting a vorpal or fey....how much INCREASE in damage do you think each does?

> @mebengalsfan#9264 said:

> I have noticed after mod 13 changes that ray of frost procs spell storm a lot.would it be worth switching from dread to vorpal because it will buff at wills?I cannot test myself.unbuffed 80k power,101% crit, 104% crit severity before enchant bonus

>

> Not really.

>

> You might as well run a Feytouched at that point, since the % DPS Increase on Feytouched is generally comparable, if not superior to Vorpal in almost all cases on Critting abilities/procs.

>

> Additionally, Feytouched also has the oneup on Vorpal for boosting the damage of your non-Critting sources, which includes the all important Aura of Courage.

>

> Last year the devs fixed all enchantments and stated that the best ones will be LB only enchantments and Vorpal. As it stands now that is not the case. Any enchantments that is better than Dread, Bronzewood and Vorpal will eventually be FIXED. It is why I'm staying away from the Fey. My gut tells me that mod 14 that Trans and Unp. Fey will be adjusted to have the same up time and cool down that all other ranks of Fey have. What then to all the player who invested into an over priced enchantment. The lighting got fixed, I'm sure the Fey is next.

>

> I got a Dread and will stick with the dread. My flaming that I had, went over to my GF until I can get her her Terror.

>

> I didn't get a Lighting enchantment and I'm not going to get a Fey. This is a ploy for us to use our in game AD and real world money. I stick with the enchantment that has been good for a CW now for quite a while, maybe not BiS but good enough. IMO, dread is superior simply because it offers a better debuff than the Fey.

You are comparing the Lightning to Fey?

Your comment comes across as bitter and as if you can't get certain "BiS" enchants so you make up imaginary situations and use of your "gut feeling".

It has nothing to do with how I feel and everything to do with what was said by the developers about enchantments. They stated that all other enchantments will be brought to a similar level of damage of the Vorpal and Dread. Lighting surpassed both of those enchantments and the devs have adjusted it to the point where it is no longer BiS. Now the Fey took the Lighting spot as the top end enchantments for most builds. Given that the Vorpal and Dread are below the Fey, it will not surprise me if it is adjusted. What the devs do, if they do anything, is their call.

You assume I want the Fey nerfed or I'm jealous. I'm not jealous as I own all enchantments at Trans level. What I wrote was just an idea on how it would be fixed based on how other enchantments with cool down work and that is there is a 10 second window where no buff or debuff are up. In fact, what I rather see is all enchantments with cool down have those removed at Trans level and higher. I do have another post in the forums on this topic. Maybe you should not assume anything about what I think.

Players like you assume way to much about others and our jealously. You probably think my toons are all 12-13K IL, which is not even close to where my primary two characters sit at in IL.
  • itblsitbls Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User

Opp build is pretty good dps but you'll have to drop spell twisting to make it worth the while thought. Here a screenshot of my shatter dmg % in a cradle run. It does not hit harder then assailant but it sure procs more often.

https://i.imgur.com/x3YQ134.png

Dread also does not work on dailies. Another reason why I won't use it. I been trying out various enchantments to find out what I will use. So far I swapped from Flaming (I do like the fire idea but it had to go) to Bronzewood, to Fey, to Dread, to Vorpal etc...
This discussion has been closed.