Install Arc
Options

[PC] CW Mechanics Guide: (Mod 13)

Comments

• Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    @thefabricant

Back to mechanics...

Since Sudden Storm can kind of be qued up to fire automatically after firing an at will or encounter, is there any advantage to doing so?
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    niadan said:

@thefabricant

Back to mechanics...

Since Sudden Storm can kind of be qued up to fire automatically after firing an at will or encounter, is there any advantage to doing so?

@niadan I don't think so, but then again, I have been playing for a while with cast on release so it isn't something I really notice.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I, and many others, may not be aware of this "cast on release" mechanic (or I just showed my ignorant <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>). Could you enlighten me on what this is? Is it a combat settings option? If so I too will give it a try when back in game. Then I will kick myself for not knowing this for all this time.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    niadan said:

I, and many others, may not be aware of this "cast on release" mechanic (or I just showed my ignorant HAMSTER). Could you enlighten me on what this is? Is it a combat settings option? If so I too will give it a try when back in game. Then I will kick myself for not knowing this for all this time.

Yes it is. It doesn't really do much on CW though, but I switched it on for 1 toon and am too lazy to switch it back for another.
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

niadan said:

I, and many others, may not be aware of this "cast on release" mechanic (or I just showed my ignorant HAMSTER). Could you enlighten me on what this is? Is it a combat settings option? If so I too will give it a try when back in game. Then I will kick myself for not knowing this for all this time.

Yes it is. It doesn't really do much on CW though, but I switched it on for 1 toon and am too lazy to switch it back for another.
    Haha would that be the famed sharp DC toon? So you can ever-so-slightly position those d. DG splats sexier?

Sorry for the derail ;)
  • Options
    dupeks said:

niadan said:

Haha would that be the famed sharp DC toon? So you can ever-so-slightly position those d. DG splats sexier?

Sorry for the derail ;)
    I admit nothing!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Hope I did not temporarily derail your thread, but that worked like a charm. Do not know how I missed that all these years! Makes Sudden Storm less clunky in the rotation. THANK YOU.
  • Options
    Minor update, according to the thread in the bug reports section, the Mirage weapons proccing player feats and other stuff is intended. I disagree with this philosophy but whatever, who am I to argue.
  • Options
    dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited July 2017

Minor update, according to the thread in the bug reports section, the Mirage weapons proccing player feats and other stuff is intended. I disagree with this philosophy but whatever, who am I to argue.

Wow, I'm a bit surprised here as well. I feel like that would make them hands down the best weapons for CW right, or at least the best of the mod 11 weapon choices for us.
  • Options
    dairyzeus said:

Wow, I'm a bit surprised here as well. I feel like that would make them hands down the best weapons for CW right, or at least the best of the mod 11 weapon choices for us.
    They die too quickly on trash fights to be good there but on bosses? Sure. I don't think they will be good in tomb of the nine gods though due to trash on bosses.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Marvelous guide and some hilarous bug.

@thefabricant: Prestidigitation bugs me a little, as it seems a bit underestaminated and only seen as a straight power buff and not as an aggregate of little (and marginal) buffs. If we reduce the power in the example for only a (more reachable) 55k, but we let the player then redistribute it's crit and ArP to power (as it seems to tend over the 100% and 60%) at the end then it's still shows a slightly better ~2,8k power addition.

And it has a lot more, tiny factor built in as a party buff. I'm not incentivising to count out the party DPS of things like DC critting slightly more in general, other players getting 200-400 recovery and the minimal survivability, but they are there.

It can be seen as nitpicking, but I see Prestidigitation as a borderline, but useful skill, where every bit can count and I feel that if we consider all of this in a package it's just has enough party utility to be considered for use (strictly as buffer). Mof renegade drow, so only 2 feat point to be distributed in this or Learned Spellcaster.

What are you thinking about it? Are these factors count or I'm just seeing things bigger than their actual relevance?

@theraxin#5169 at the end of the day, you are always ending up with it being a marginal increase in power. So, lets say it somehow gave 2.8k power in your case where your character has 55k, in this case it is a:

((1+57800/40000)/(1+55000/40000)-1)*100=2.947368421% dps increase, which is less than putting points into Learned Spellcaster. Furthermore, we are not even counting the presence of a power sharer like DC or OP, which would completely invalidate the power boost from the feat. Say a DC shares only 50k power with you (which isn't much at all for a DC):

((1+107800/40000)/(1+105000/40000)-1)*100=1.93103448276% dps increase.

Do you see what I mean here when I say that it is pretty much always a bad choice?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Where would you put the 2 extra points in my case above? Prestidigitation or somewhere else like fight on?
  • Options
    niadan said:

Where would you put the 2 extra points in my case above? Prestidigitation or somewhere else like fight on?

I would just stick then in prestidigitation... Problems only humans face :P
  • Options
    mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Do you think that the Wheel of Elements lack of buff to Weapon enchants, quite a few skills, Aura of Courage and so on, are simply due to oversights, or are they intended?

Weapon enchants I can (reluctantly)sort of understand, but some of those seem sort of random, but this being Cryptic, I guess you never know...
  • Options
    rsdagrsdag Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Hi Sharp,

I formally ask your permission to publish your guide on my guild web forum (http://ordobscuridomini.forumfree.it/).
    Waiting for your agreement. :smile:

Thank you!

Dagor Naresgal - CW
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    rsdag said:

Hi Sharp,

I formally ask your permission to publish your guide on my guild web forum (http://ordobscuridomini.forumfree.it/).
    Waiting for your agreement. :smile:

Thank you!

You are more than welcome to @rsdag, will you be publishing it in English or Italian? :p

Do you think that the Wheel of Elements lack of buff to Weapon enchants, quite a few skills, Aura of Courage and so on, are simply due to oversights, or are they intended?

Weapon enchants I can (reluctantly)sort of understand, but some of those seem sort of random, but this being Cryptic, I guess you never know...

I think it is probably intended, but who knows, considering I thought the Mirage set was a bug.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Not a bug but still getting fixed it seems. (soonish?)
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited July 2017

@theraxin#5169 at the end of the day, you are always ending up with it being a marginal increase in power. So, lets say it somehow gave 2.8k power in your case where your character has 55k, in this case it is a:

((1+57800/40000)/(1+55000/40000)-1)*100=2.947368421% dps increase, which is less than putting points into Learned Spellcaster. Furthermore, we are not even counting the presence of a power sharer like DC or OP, which would completely invalidate the power boost from the feat. Say a DC shares only 50k power with you (which isn't much at all for a DC):

((1+107800/40000)/(1+105000/40000)-1)*100=1.93103448276% dps increase.

Do you see what I mean here when I say that it is pretty much always a bad choice?

Yes and thanks for the elaborate answer. Sad that some party helping skill like this and Uncertain seems to do almost nothing.
  • Options
    theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    And almost forgotten:

If you use Ice knife while having Combustive Action slotted, Lightning enchantment's arc applies Smoulder and the debuff for any target it hits. For example, all of the 4 target dummy will get the debuff regardless which one of them got hit by the knife or using on Drufi will debuff the nearby ice. While there's no other single target daily to test on, by a quick test, oppressive force and arcane singularity applies smoulder and the debuff only the targets got hit by the actual daily power.
  • Options
    sylverhawkesylverhawke Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Thanks for all the hard work Sharp. Much appreciated.
  • Options

And almost forgotten:

If you use Ice knife while having Combustive Action slotted, Lightning enchantment's arc applies Smoulder and the debuff for any target it hits. For example, all of the 4 target dummy will get the debuff regardless which one of them got hit by the knife or using on Drufi will debuff the nearby ice. While there's no other single target daily to test on, by a quick test, oppressive force and arcane singularity applies smoulder and the debuff only the targets got hit by the actual daily power.

@theraxin#5169 thanks I have checked it and added it to the list.
  • Options
    xxaaaxxxxaaaxx Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    I'm curious, if they ever fix the animation bug, how does Aboleth stack up against Fey then?
  • Options
    smulchsmulch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 625 Arc User
    xxaaaxx said:

I'm curious, if they ever fix the animation bug, how does Aboleth stack up against Fey then?

considerably better than fey.

Over a CN run, I got around 2% of my dps coming from the procs of aboleth.
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User

You completely ignored the Aboleth weapon set in this CW Mechanic Guide due to how it causes enemies to dance.

Do you know if the dancing is intentional or a bug for the Aboleth weapon set? If it is a bug and can be fixed, would you recommend the Aboleth set?

• Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    smulch said:

xxaaaxx said:

Do you know the % of damage you do with dailies when using Abeloth set and than what is that % with the Fey?

I currently have the Abeloth and I have the resources now to get the Mirage or Fey. Before I restore another weaponn, I'm curious if the Fey bonus in AP improves the amount of damage from dailies during a run and if so by how much vs the Abeloth.

• Options

You completely ignored the Aboleth weapon set in this CW Mechanic Guide due to how it causes enemies to dance.

Do you know if the dancing is intentional or a bug for the Aboleth weapon set? If it is a bug and can be fixed, would you recommend the Aboleth set?

I don't know if it is a bug or not, but it was bug reported. I would go by the assumption that it is a bug, but I would also go by the assumption that by the time it is fixed the weapon set is completely obsolete.
  • Options
    smulchsmulch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 625 Arc User

smulch said:

xxaaaxx said:

Do you know the % of damage you do with dailies when using Abeloth set and than what is that % with the Fey?

I currently have the Abeloth and I have the resources now to get the Mirage or Fey. Before I restore another weaponn, I'm curious if the Fey bonus in AP improves the amount of damage from dailies during a run and if so by how much vs the Abeloth.

Nope, I have no idea. That said, I'd be surprised if it gave 2% more damage.
  • Options
    reefriednunt#3177 reefriednunt Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Thanks Sharp, great work as always....I read the weapon enchant links, and they are a little over my head...when u tested the flaming did the results include the 251% of weapon damage every 3 seconds?.. and in the test you were alone right, would the scaling damage from power buffs make flaming better than vorpal for single target? I feel like the flaming does awesome single target damage (does good aoe too), but you still say the vorpal, and bilethorn are better?...
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited July 2017

Thanks Sharp, great work as always....I read the weapon enchant links, and they are a little over my head...when u tested the flaming did the results include the 251% of weapon damage every 3 seconds?.. and in the test you were alone right, would the scaling damage from power buffs make flaming better than vorpal for single target? I feel like the flaming does awesome single target damage (does good aoe too), but you still say the vorpal, and bilethorn are better?...

When you apply a hit, you have your initial Flaming hit (17% of wpn dmg as base), and then you get a DoT effect (11% of wpn dmg at base) which caps out at 3 stacks. So, in the best circumstances, you get 50% of weapon damage.

The reason why Sharp disliked Flaming was because of what I call the "jamming" issue. If you're attacking faster than the DoT stacks clear, then you would only be hitting for the initial weapon damage hit (17%), which puts it behind a bunch of other enchants (ex: Terror is 30%, Holy is 30% and 40% with its special buff, Bile is 15% for its first hit and 25% for its second totalling at 40%). Since CW procs things SO many times, it's super likely to get Flaming to jam, which puts it behind other enchants.

Now, I have no clue where you got 251%, but the tooltip values of the enchant can change based off how much Power you have in addition to other buffs (ex: ITF/Longstriders/EmpBtS).

The reason why Sharp excludes buffed damage values is because all enchantments and abilities scale with buffs and debuffs. If you have AA on your CW, then all your attacks are buffed by AA. Thus, the only difference between, say, Bilethorn versus Vorpal is if the extra damage from the Vorpal Crit Severity outweighs the damage of the Bilethorn procs when buffed by AA. To say that "Holy da best because tooltip said (insert huge % here) while testing" is wrong because the same buffs applied to your Holy Avenger would be applied to any other enchant in the same situation and it would be grossly unfair to compare an enchant with buffs to an enchant with no buffs.

From what I know about Proc Monster, the reason why he reccomends those enchants is because:

-Bilethorn: For single target. CW procs things, so large amount of procs = lots of extra damage, and Bilethorn doesn't have any jamming issues.
    -Lightning: For AoE fights, Lightning is the very best. Lightning gets better as you hit more targets and have more procs. CW has the best abilities for hitting large amount of targets and have loads of procs.
    -Vorpal/Dread: Tried and tested classic setup which make your crits hit harder. I would assume this is for quick burst fights when you only have enough time for a few decisive big hits, since there are CWs like Freedom who can pump out ridiculously good single hits (50 mil Ice Knife, I so jelly Freedom T_T).

---

Sharp, if you really want me to take over in editing/writing your graphs, you could motivate me faster by giving me all your Brutal 12s. A Swift Golden Lion is also an acceptable substitute.
    :p

• Options
    frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    @thefabricant, I remember reading in an older guide of your's (I think it was yours) that Fight On worked differently and wasn't worth the points, no?
    FrozenFire
This discussion has been closed.