test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

how do i get enchanted keys or zen coins without buying them with real money?

I'm a new player. I get a lot of chests (giant) and need keys to open them. how can I get keys? how can I get zen coins (beside buying them for real money)?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    angryantzliveangryantzlive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14 Arc User
    Other than with real money, you can convert astral diamonds to zen via the zen exchange (check the buttons at the top of your in game screen), however there is a serious backlog at them moment and it might take a couple of weeks. The exchange rate is maxed out at 500 ad to 1 zen, so 1 key will cost you 62500 ad.
  • Options
    lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    you get astral diamonds and then change them for zen on the exchange and then buys the keys.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    Also, because there's a backlog on zen - meaning there are more people waiting to buy zen with AD than people selling zen - it will take a while for your purchase request to go through. About 24 hours per million in the backlog. The backlog was a bit over 10 million last saw, so figure about 1.5 weeks to get zen.
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    If you are new and not going to spend money, then probably best to just ignore the lockboxes. Lockboxes are like the lottery. If you hit the jackpot, you get something really good. Most people won't ever hit the jackpot unless they use a significant number of keys. There are consolation prizes. Even then, most of the time they are not even worth the cost of the key.
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    The Zen rate at the moment seems more like 1,5 day wait per 1M queue.

And using Zen to buy lockbox keys is not the best way to spend money. Buy VIP, the keys you get from that is way cheaper than buying them directly. And as you level up VIP you get a lot of other very nice benefits.
  • Options
    kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

I'm a new player. I get a lot of chests (giant) and need keys to open them. how can I get keys? how can I get zen coins (beside buying them for real money)?

If you are a PC player, and you have installed the Arc client to play from, there are Arc Quests - they allow you to earn Zen w/o any play in the game or any $$$.

But the earn rate is slow, and you have to be willing to install many other PWI games on your system. The quests are essentially this - open game x 7 days in a row, or log onto Arc 10 days in a row, or such. You don't have to play the games - all you do is open them - count to like 3, then close them.

That's how I pay for VIP - it usually takes me about 35 - 40 days to earn the 1000 Zen to buy another month of VIP. I could earn more faster, but I stopped adding games at about 12. There are something like 20 games in all you could install. One - Livelock, actually costs $$$ up front (not F2P).
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    You do not "need" to open lockboxes, ever. They can be fun, but they exist to try to bait you into spending money.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,242 Arc User
    Get VIP. Yes, that involves Zen and that implies money for new user. However, if you figure you like the game and you do like to open lockbox, that is a good investment and the far cheapest way to get lockbox key. You get one lockbox key per day. There are other goodies that comes with VIP besides the lockbox key.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User

The Zen rate at the moment seems more like 1,5 day wait per 1M queue.

Could be - The 24-hour as a general rule of thumb (which is why I said "about"). Actual velocity will vary. If it's lower than 24-hours though, it indicates a slowing in Zen sales relative to the average velocity from previous times of backlog. I actually haven't test it in a few weeks - last time I did was around the 5m backlog mark and it took just about 5 days to clear my request. If it's 36 hours now, I guess it's no wonder the backlog is growing so rapidly.
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    just basically use ARC's launcher and get other games (optional) but not required to play, but log on just for confirming to get update. use that zen for VIP for "almost free" key once a day, you would need 5k zens for 6 months of free keys, if you do once a month, you would run out of zen pretty fast before next monthly timer, so 6 months would give you lot of time to gather all the zen you need.
  • Options
    kitkathdkitkathd Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    Don't spend money on this game, play each class 1-70, then move onto a real game. This game is the exact same thing as 1-70 as it is end game only ALOT of grind, and alot of recycled content and extra 0's. The lockboxes and loot in general is a giant scam lottery system that hides its odds and makes people think they actually have a good chance by seeing global messages saying people won.
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    yeah, as Kit said, it like open about 200 boxes to get one something nice, or none at all with all garbages.

also RNG isnt very nice, only few players seem get so lucky and get another nice stuffs with only few boxes open few times, and other players wasnt lucky when they tried after opening more than 300 boxes and get nothing but garbages.
    those global messages are very old spams and way too often repeat same winners and same items they gained every day, that made you think they wins alot.
    last time i won an epic companion was 3-4 months ago, and just saw a message that i won few days ago, that wasnt right, not had won since few months ago.
    Post edited by wylonus on
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,242 Arc User
    wylonus said:

last time i won an epic companion was 3-4 months ago, and just saw a message that i won few days ago, that wasnt right, not had won since few months ago.

Other can have the same character name as yours.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    wylonus said:

yeah, as Kit said, it like open about 200 boxes to get one something nice, or none at all with all garbages.

also RNG isnt very nice, only few players seem get so lucky anf get another nice stuffs with only few boxes open few times, and other players wasnt lucky when they tried after opening more than 300 boxes and get nothing but garbages.
    those global messages are very old spams and way too often repeat same winners and same items they gained every day, that made you think they wins alot.

wylonus said:

Other can have the same character name as yours.
    Indeed, as plastic said. Only your @ handle is unique. You saw someone else with your character's name as their character's name win is all.
  • Options
    shish#2530 shish Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    thank you all for replying ;-)