What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dungeon Key Changes

Comments

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    dupeks said:

Also, it's pretty clear that kreatyve and ironzerg79 disagree with your assessment that this has always been considered a bug. They have quotes in this thread amounting to that. So was this a secret that only you kept?

They weren't moderators at that time, and apparently were kept in the dark since.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    vikoonvikoon Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    How about you get on the side of the community and stand up for what is right? Don't mix words and attempt to calm the herd, when the very reason we are upset is obvious. You can try and defend it all you want, but I am quite sure that this is the last straw for many members of this bull. A video game is supposed to be fun, not a direct insult to our intelligence.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    vikoon said:

How about you get on the side of the community and stand up for what is right? Don't mix words and attempt to calm the herd, when the very reason we are upset is obvious. You can try and defend it all you want, but I am quite sure that this is the last straw for many members of this bull. A video game is supposed to be fun, not a direct insult to our intelligence.

I guess you missed my prior post due to people harping on my following post.
    zebular said:

First of, I am not in favor of this change but I am also not affected by it. I rarely do not take the loot from my chests anyway. There's been less times than the fingers I have on my hands that I have ever declined the rewards from a chest. Was it nice to save the key? Heck yeah. Loot in chests, for lack of a better way to describe it, just plain sucks gibberling toes. If loot was actually worth the key, then there'd really be no problem. As it is now, the loot in chests are rarely worth the key used on them, even the free keys...

• Options
    cromejohnsencromejohnsen Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 207 Arc User

We all think the announcement was VERY poorly worded. It does imply that everybody should have known it was a bug and that people were abusing it and should feel bad. That is not the case.

As players have said...logically in an MMO if you use a CONSUMABLE key to open a lock (chest) then the key should be CONSUMED when OPENING the lock whether you want the gear or not. We have had people report it to us because they felt like it was a bug and an exploit.
    Note this is what happens when you open a profession node...

That said, let me try to word what Zeb said in a diifferent way because I can understand the confusion.
    There are basically 3 levels of exploitive bugs. "Fix ASAP and issue repercussions for abuse," "fix ASAP but without repercussions" and "unintended, not condoned but in no rush to fix."

This bug was an unintended mechanic. That is the word that should have been used in the announcement.
    Another example of an unintended mechanic was Boss Leashing which existed at least to Mod 1 if not Mod 2. Basically you could pull the boss out of the room and avoid adds when the game was first launched. It was absolutely not intended or condoned but the developers did not penalize anybody who did it or rush to fix it.

This was a bug but they did not feel it important enough to prioritize a fix. As it is not condoned we did not and would not tell people "enjoy it while you can."

You guys are trying to interpret whatever you want right? Is that why we are seeing loot dropchance in the region of 0.000000001% never getting buffed towards reasonable numbers? And dont get me wrong you might think its 1% but in reality we all know its far away from that! You knew it was a bug but didnt care until you needed to press out more money out of us by introducing these new ***** chests as mentioned in my post before, just because you knew the loot wasnt worth it anyways, even if we were allowed to decline loot and keep the key ? This sounds so lazy and stupid of an excuse its really insulting to read and understand.
    You can say whatever you want but the damage has been done and we dont see anything at all from you guys being sorry ( zeb saying he doesnt even care at all, thats a cm for you guys) for not fixing something like this.
    No improvement in loot drop chance towards something reasonable ( 1% is not reasonable at all, just ask your so called endgame player guys).
    No change in the bagspace, being "mishandled" since this game exists, currently a huge pain the HAMSTER.
    No improvement from grinding you fingers off, for 2k worth of ads?
    No reduction of keys towards prices that would even slightly justifiy this change.
    nothing nothing nothing ....

• Options
    jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User

Because look at the window. It has 2 options. That is a UI display. It was designed and replicated. The dungeons were revamped. The UI could have been changed at that time to remove Decline.

I'm still waiting for them to fix my bloody character bio's. Cryptic are known for 2 things, vague tooltips and a litany of unfixed bugs.
  • Options
    lorandelczlorandelcz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 35 Arc User
    Let me tell u little prophecy - if this "bug" will be fixed, hordes of players (including many veterans playing from the very beginning, like me) will uninstal game, not just stop spending money. This is not threat or blackmail, just truth. Neverwinter will become ghost town with only few botspammers in there.
  • Options
    uptondarkdiamonduptondarkdiamond Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 169 Arc User

zebular said:

Now, on to the those claiming that the "this is a bug" is a lie. It is not. The Moderators were told early on that being able to open a chest and not take the contents but keep your key was indeed a bug. That the decline button was there for those who did not want the loot, not for those who did not want to consume their key. However, as this wasn't something of a real issue and there was a clique of people claiming it was an exploit to look and not take, it was deemed best to remain silent on the issue, lest we fuel a group of player's crusade to name and shame folks for "exploiting." In short, years ago, it was indeed deemed a bug but was not pursued as an exploit.

So, can we now please move on from this whole claim that they are lieing about it being a bug? Such does nothing to add to productive feedback. Thanks!

Forgive me if i didn't understanding it well, my engrish is poor...

but are you really telling us that you designed a reward system where people open a chest, consuming a key, and give them the opportunity to refuse the reward and get back some profit, while they key is consummed anyway ?

So you designed a game for dumb people who will refuse to gain something, even if it's crappy, where they spend a key that cost them something, even just their playing time... that it ? you designed the game like the dude will say, >well my key cost 10bucks, my chest is HAMSTER and i will get back only 5bucks... ok, let's drop it, gain 0bucks and just have my 10bucks spent as loss, i'am so genius...<

If yes, so i believe you, you didn't lie at all, you just tell the truth, you just take your player and customer for stupid people since the DAY 1 since you designed a game for dumb..

again, sorry for bad engrish
    No, he's saying the decline button was there from a time when you didn't need a key to loot the chests.

And it did cost you anything to decline it either..... nothing lost nothing gained

Is that the situation now??? Why would you decline if your going to lose a key and gain nothing, this make absolutely no sense.... mind boggling.....

Wouldn't have been better to have it fixed as soon as it was known with no option to decline rather than string us along for years thinking this was the way it was meant to be??? TBH if it was known the wording for the reason should have been better....

I'm at a lose for words.....

Exactly. The root cause is NOT the peeking.

It's the fact that we HAD to peek because the loot SUCKED.

That's the bottom line. If 95% of the time people actually USED the key to TAKE the loot, this would be a non-issue.

Do the developer not see this? I'm literally exasperated to the point where it's getting tough to type.

The loot is so bad in the game that people are clearing content, opening up the reward chest and saying, "No thanks".

Can we let that sink in for a minute.

Sinking...

Sinking...

Sinking...

Do you get it now? Loot. An aspect that is so fundamental to Dungeons and Dragons. The entire point of there being Dungeons to delve and Dragons to kill is to take their loot.

And you guys have literally created some bizarro-world D&D where thousands and thousands and thousands of adventures are literally exercising their option to not take the loot because it's so bad.

The dragon dies.

The loot chest opens.

And the heroes politely decline.

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2016

dupeks said:

Also, it's pretty clear that kreatyve and ironzerg79 disagree with your assessment that this has always been considered a bug. They have quotes in this thread amounting to that. So was this a secret that only you kept?

They weren't moderators at that time, and apparently were kept in the dark since.

Not in the dark. Just never came up. There isn't some master list of over three years of private discussions with Cliff Notes that we hand over to new moderators when they take on the role. There are things that Zeb and I know that they don't. There will be things that Zeb, Kreatyve and IZ know that Trips doesn't.
  • Options
    groglastgroglast Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited October 2016

No, he's saying the decline button was there from a time when you didn't need a key to loot the chests.

zebular said:

Harp on one aspect yet dismiss the fact that the decline button existed before keys existed. So, pray-tell, why would there be a decline button when keys didn't even exist? What reason can you fathom?

Changes to chests, keys, and such are planned well in advance. It's entirely possible that they programmed in the decline button with full knowledge they were going to introduce keys into the game, so that players could decline in order to not use a key. This scenario I'm presenting here is just as plausible if not way, waymore plausible that the decline button was put in so that players could decline free loot once they've already finished the dungeon and at that point almost always have no reason to decline the loot.
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    you devs didnt even fix mob adds in Blackdagger crypt in boss room, they do kill anyone one-shotted, and these adds should never be that powerful!!!! damn fix those asap! then we get chance of "FAIR PLAY"!
    Enough with trash mobs making one shots! once these are dead, NO more respawning adds!!!!!

if these dont, it will be abandoned dungeon when no one will not runs it! and that large red ring should had limited time over and fade away when he recast it, there isnt any safe spot when all those red ring cover every single inch on the floor in that room, not even when we tried jump on crates.
    there isnt enough running room.
    using the water barrel will get a very super buffed angry boss when we put out flames and he can wipe whole team one-shotted.
  • Options
    hanniballa#2401 hanniballa Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    zebular said:

Now, on to the those claiming that the "this is a bug" is a lie. It is not. The Moderators were told early on just after Module 3 that being able to open a chest and not take the contents but keep your key was indeed a bug. That the decline button was there for those who did not want the loot, not for those who did not want to consume their key. However, as this wasn't something of a real issue and there was a clique of people claiming it was an exploit to look and not take, it was deemed best to remain silent on the issue, lest we fuel a group of player's crusade to name and shame folks for "exploiting." In short, years ago, it was indeed deemed a bug but was not pursued as an exploit.

So, can we now please move on from this whole claim that they are lieing about it being a bug? Such does nothing to add to productive feedback. Thanks!

THATS POSTHOC NONSENSE!!!!!!!!!

They told you in secret years ago that it was a bug, but you're just now telling us after the fact? You're going to have to do better than that. You guys have screwed us so many times in the past year. This isn't going to end well if that's the defense you're planning on using.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

This is true, and I'm not going to be intellectually dishonest about it.

I have used the "decline" button to back out of a chest to consult my party or my collection UI prior to going back in to accept loot. I did this a lot with level 60 epic dungeons, actually (generally in a key-less context).

The timeline on the replacement of automatically getting loot for completing content as opposed to needing keys for darned near everything has been gradual, but right now, it looks appallingly like a money grab.

And I am really not impressed about all the times that bugs related to previewing a chest have been fixed while never, ever addressing that previewing was unintended.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Ok....... so they're not "lying" but this is still no less decitful and reprehensible behavior than if it was an outright lie because apparently it was covered up. More importantly, the coverup includes the volunteer moderator group as well as actual Cryptic staff. Not only should Cryptic be ashamed of themselves, clearly the moderators, given their duplicity in this sham, should likewise be ashamed. (Newer mods, who were not involved in this, excluded of course)
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator

zebular said:

Now, on to the those claiming that the "this is a bug" is a lie. It is not. The Moderators were told early on just after Module 3 that being able to open a chest and not take the contents but keep your key was indeed a bug. That the decline button was there for those who did not want the loot, not for those who did not want to consume their key. However, as this wasn't something of a real issue and there was a clique of people claiming it was an exploit to look and not take, it was deemed best to remain silent on the issue, lest we fuel a group of player's crusade to name and shame folks for "exploiting." In short, years ago, it was indeed deemed a bug but was not pursued as an exploit.

THATS POSTHOC NONSENSE!!!!!!!!!

They told you in secret years ago that it was a bug, but you're just now telling us after the fact? You're going to have to do better than that. You guys have screwed us so many times in the past year. This isn't going to end well if that's the defense you're planning on using.
    This was not a statement to defend the change. It was a statement to clear up people calling the poorly conveyed notion that it was a "bug" as a lie. It was a bug, a bug that should have been fixed long long ago but for whatever reason, did not and it is clear that waiting so long was a poor decision. Regardless, it is being fixed now. I suggest we move on to provide feedback on what we expect out of this change, as it is clear by my own feedback early and almost everyone else here that the loot in the chests as they are now just plain sucks. That if we're going to be forced to consume a key on loot, that loot had better be worth the key, at the very least.
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

Not in the dark. Just never came up. There isn't some master list of over three years of private discussions with Cliff Notes that we hand over to new moderators when they take on the role. There are things that Zeb and I know that they don't. There will be things that Zeb, Kreatyve and IZ know that Trips doesn't.

Fair enough. It seems to me like maybe they should run some of these announcements by the community moderation team so that these kinds of gems that you and Zeb hold on to can be incorporated to provide the right context to these announcements.

It seems downright unfair that the volunteer mods are left fielding this mess caused by irresponsible and unclear communication by the devs. There is no way that this change was spur-of-the-moment and especially if it is addressing a long-standing unintended bug the way it was communicated was unacceptable. It sounds like the mod team agrees.

Is there any hope that they'll learn from this and improve? You've been with them the longest. It seems like this fiasco shares a great many traits in common with other recent changes that were communicated in hilariously poor ways.

@ambisinisterr do you have hope that they will improve, or are you just resigned to defending their poor approaches as they continue to come out?
  • Options
    i am really not impressed anymore. we are fighting a war that we can not win. Its always the same. they wont change anything at all or just put in another peridot into those already worthless chests. Just look at those new chests in svardborg. those refinement items are yet another insult towards the playerbase. There is not a single one in your team that actually plays this game and understands the majority of the playerbase. We are not mindless grind machines. For that there are bots that do all the work for us. You really dont have to surprised that people are using them actively.
  • Options
    swirve#6429 swirve Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    @zebular

All this highlights is if the devision makers are not liars then they increasingly feel the player base is a cash cow...and treats them with the lack of respect for a consumer of their product.

Thanks for clearing that up. PS4 owners will know this from our 4k plus community page.
  • Options
    voidgiftvoidgift Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 286 Arc User
    Ok, so I never went to FBI or Svadborg. Are there still normal dungeon chests there, or are these keys the only way to access certain loot?
    With dreams to be a king, first one should be a man.

Rise to POWER with <House of Power>.

The Exterminator - (NW-DLNXF3BGG)
  • Options

Let me tell u little prophecy - if this "bug" will be fixed, hordes of players (including many veterans playing from the very beginning, like me) will uninstal game, not just stop spending money. This is not threat or blackmail, just truth. Neverwinter will become ghost town with only few botspammers in there.

We said that at colagate, we said that when they took away ad from leadership and again when they removed ad from invoking.

There's nothing in those chests for the most part that are worth using a key on, let a lone buying a legendary key with zen for a chance of a peridot and maybe a +1 ring.

• Options
    voidgift said:

Ok, so I never went to FBI or Svadborg. Are there still normal dungeon chests there, or are these keys the only way to access certain loot?

the only chests left without grinding yourself for half a day are normal or epic dungeon chests which contain what 2k ads ? Not even worth it if you dont have vip.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    kvet said:

Ok....... so they're not "lying" but this is still no less decitful and reprehensible behavior than if it was an outright lie because apparently it was covered up. More importantly, the coverup includes the volunteer moderator group as well as actual Cryptic staff. Not only should Cryptic be ashamed of themselves, clearly the moderators, given their duplicity in this sham, should likewise be ashamed. (Newer mods, who were not involved in this, excluded of course)

You act as though this is knowledge we've been brooding over for years or something... It's only come up twice.. once just after Module 3 and then was forgotten about until I finally started reading this thread and then now with this thread. I actually stayed out of this thread until two nights ago as I have been real busy with work. After reading comment after comment about the bug being a "lie" I finally spoke up in our Moderator chat and started recalling the past experience with the topic of looking into a chest but not looting. As so many Cryptic staff have changed, I am sure the same thing happened there for many. That some knew it was a bug but most did not as it just rarely came up as a topic, literally only once before.

This doesn't change the fact that in order for this fix to be acceptable now in our current and future Neverwinter, that drastic change has to happen to the loot inside our chests. They need, as I have said a few time now, to be made at the very least worth the key used... especially if we will now be forced to consume a key no matter what.

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    kvet said:

If something is not intended to be done in a certain way we are not going to issue a post to do it.
    It's not a cover up...it's not advertising to use a feature in a way that is not intended.

Never were people told not to do it. They simply were not told to do it.
    It was a bug. Logically based on every MMO mechanic of all time a consumable items don't not get consumed after you choose to consume them. They key is there to open the chest...not to reach past the magical barrier that prevents you from taking the loot...

It just wasn't a priortized fix.

That doesn't mean it is a good change. Doesn't mean you have to agree with the change...
    But it was not how it was intended to be. :)
  • Options
    shazza53shazza53 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    @zebular - seriously, you let this thread go for 30 pages, let two community moderators join in the outcry, and THEN pop in to say it really isn't a lie, cause it isn't a bug.

I don't care about the key change. I don't even care about being called an exploiter, since I long ago accepted communication and customer service weren't strongpoints for this game. But I am sorry to see good players leaving, and sincerely hope a company leader will step in and at least try to make this right.
  • Options
    groglastgroglast Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    zebular said:

No, you're putting words into my mouth. What I find astonishing is how folks outright call them liars when they don't even know the truth and that is why I decided to try and clear that up. Yet now, I am seemingly the target for speaking the truth, which is fine. I just find it astonishing again that at first, folks claim "lie" and then when the truth explained, it is like-wise ridiculed. Shar'd if you do, Shar'd if you don't.

The reason it's a "danged if you do, danged if you don't" situation right now for you is that even if it wasn't a lie (and it really looks like a lie to me), but even if it wasn't, there are a ton of other reasons why this change is bad for everyone unless they drastically improve the loot and drop tables. So they're either lying or are incompetent devs even beyond what I thought was possible for a team that has maintained an mmo for this long.

Let's say it was a bug. How many chests have been peaked into and not taken since this bug was introduced? Hundreds of thousands if not millions, right? And they'd really let it go this whole time, not to mention introducing new dungeons with this bug, and introducing new keys for chests with this bug, introducing the game on new platforms with this bug, letting so many chests be peaked into if they didn't design it like that?

That is so absurd that either this is a lie or they are incompetent beyond belief. Danged if you do, danged if you don't. This is just bad all around, and the company is still silent.

Ask yourself this, if truth and honesty were on their side, would they have been silent for so long in response to the community's reaction about all this? I find that even more difficult to believe.
  • Options
    kuero21kuero21 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    @zebular I have two issues with your statement of the decline option and the not-consumed key being a bug.

1.) You said yourself there are people who simply refuse to take the loot, the decline option was designed intentionally for them. So, why would anyone name and shame out those players for not taking the loot and call them exploiters? You said it, the feature was intended. The name and shame explanation does not make any sense to me. If I don't want junk loot and my key does not get consumed as it should, then how am I an exploiter? What kind of players even care if their group mates accept or decline their loot? "Oh, you are not taking your loot? EXPLOITER!!!!! I'M GONNA REPORT YOU FOR NOT TAKING YOUR LOOT."

2.) How come you moderate this thread and remain silent but then at page 30 you suddenly decide to enlighten the community? I guess you couldn't take the general stupidity anymore?
  • Options
    groglast said:

zebular said:

Harp on one aspect yet dismiss the fact that the decline button existed before keys existed. So, pray-tell, why would there be a decline button when keys didn't even exist? What reason can you fathom?

Changes to chests, keys, and such are planned well in advance. It's entirely possible that they programmed in the decline button with full knowledge they were going to introduce keys into the game, so that players could decline in order to not use a key. This scenario I'm presenting here is just as plausible if not way, waymore plausible that the decline button was put in so that players could decline free loot once they've already finished the dungeon and at that point almost always have no reason to decline the loot.
    Cryptic have got more chance of putting a man on the moon than planning 7 mods in advance. This isn't a surprise either, from copy pasting blog posts that don't reflect a current event to their never ending rush to pump out content while slowly building a list of bugs they just aren't given resources to fix and then there are the tooltips, mostly a long collective ambiguous vague mess we debate endlessly until a player not a dev actually runs the numbers for the community to say how a power definitively works, the same goes for their communication.

Giving them some sort of prescient conspiratorial argument is far from the most obvious answer, they are inept at managing what they have with the resources they have available.
  • Options
    vikoonvikoon Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    Even if Cryptic says they are going to improve the loot in these chests, I simply don't trust them anymore. Far too much taking and not nearly enough giving in return. You can't GRIND trust. Good luck in future endeavors because I truly believe that this is the last straw for many people. I know of 8 people that are quitting and 3 have already deleted the game. That number will grow rapidly as nobody likes the taste of a HAMSTER sandwich, no matter how you try and cover up the taste.
  • Options

This is true, and I'm not going to be intellectually dishonest about it.

I have used the "decline" button to back out of a chest to consult my party or my collection UI prior to going back in to accept loot. I did this a lot with level 60 epic dungeons, actually (generally in a key-less context).

The timeline on the replacement of automatically getting loot for completing content as opposed to needing keys for darned near everything has been gradual, but right now, it looks appallingly like a money grab.

And I am really not impressed about all the times that bugs related to previewing a chest have been fixed while never, ever addressing that previewing was unintended.

I agree.
  • Options
    isaintify1isaintify1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
    zebular said:

Ive been playing since module 2, and I find this statement to be absolutely hilarious. If you believe that lie then you are more gullible than most. Its been 3 years basically and they finally come out and call something a "bug". Never once did they mention this to the public, and supposedly the moderators (who no longer are playing) were told this. I would love to see the "proof" of this because otherwise its probably a cover up to cover up their own lie.
This discussion has been closed.