test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

gateway down????

Comments

• weaver936weaver936 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 443 Arc User
    kvet said:

They should just release the API they use and turn the Gateway into an open source app. I would bet anything that, within a matter of weeks, it would be the most functional part of the entire game. Cryptic would quickly learn the sort of QoL improvements players want to see in the game client that way and the entire playerbase would benefit. Won't happen though.

People are ALREADY exploiting issues with the Gateway and making Millions of AD from those exploits... sure.. make it open source so the game economy will be completely broken and the game company goes out of business.. great idea.
    โ€œImprovise, Adapt and Overcome!โ€

โ€• Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

Guild Leader of Ardent Justice HQ: Always recruiting People not Pixels.

FOUNDER and OWNER of the SKT3K Channel: SKT Only Content 3k+. http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228278/skt-content-for-the-non-elite-video-links-provided
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2016

Didn't say it was being neglected, but obviously something happened... with a product clearly labeled as Beta.

Back in the first year or so, there were three separate sets of patch notes claiming to have finally removed references to Gateway "Beta".

Eventually, they seem to have given up, or admitted internally that they should leave it that way because it's still plenty imperfect.

Gateway being permanently in Beta is kind of a joke....

Ed: typo
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • bethannaebethannae Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15 Arc User
    I personally love the gateway. I love the dice game - it is reminiscent of Dragondice, an old D&D-related dice game (I still have mine, and the computer version). Also, it is something I can play at lunch time on work days on my tablet that does not take a huge amount of bandwidth. And, you get nice gear for your characters and to sell in the marketplace if you don't need it. The only criticism I have is that you have to use the One Time Code about once a month or so. But, that is really a tiny issue.

However, my lack of trust for this company (based on their prior changes to reduce the value of items worked for in order to reduce their value in the marketplace) has made me cringe at the thought that they are going to, again, change something that allows you to make a few astral diamonds - which is the primary way i get new gear for my characters. And I don's think a few astral diamonds is a bad thing....it is hard to get expensive items. To survive a dungeon that has the really great gear you basically need a character who already has it...so that does not work well. i probably have almost 1500 epic keys from the VIP bags between my characters just because I cannot make it through the epic dungeons to use them. None of my characters have enchantments that are more than rank 9 - and I have characters that are just post-beta, and have played almost every day since then. So, for the regular player, it is already more than tough enough to top out in gear. It does not need any more meddling in the marketplace. Instead, if they just left the marketplace alone - which is what other games do - it really will balance out.

Hopefully this really is just a bug, or something connected to this weekends events (since it is supposed to be at least Tuesday before it is repaired). So...for a change, I am hoping for a bug....
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    bethannae said:

I personally love the gateway. I love the dice game - it is reminiscent of Dragondice, an old D&D-related dice game (I still have mine, and the computer version). Also, it is something I can play at lunch time on work days on my tablet that does not take a huge amount of bandwidth. And, you get nice gear for your characters and to sell in the marketplace if you don't need it. The only criticism I have is that you have to use the One Time Code about once a month or so. But, that is really a tiny issue.

However, my lack of trust for this company (based on their prior changes to reduce the value of items worked for in order to reduce their value in the marketplace) has made me cringe at the thought that they are going to, again, change something that allows you to make a few astral diamonds - which is the primary way i get new gear for my characters. And I don's think a few astral diamonds is a bad thing....it is hard to get expensive items. To survive a dungeon that has the really great gear you basically need a character who already has it...so that does not work well. i probably have almost 1500 epic keys from the VIP bags between my characters just because I cannot make it through the epic dungeons to use them. None of my characters have enchantments that are more than rank 9 - and I have characters that are just post-beta, and have played almost every day since then. So, for the regular player, it is already more than tough enough to top out in gear. It does not need any more meddling in the marketplace. Instead, if they just left the marketplace alone - which is what other games do - it really will balance out.

Hopefully this really is just a bug, or something connected to this weekends events (since it is supposed to be at least Tuesday before it is repaired). So...for a change, I am hoping for a bug....

I wasn't told the reasons why it's down. :( Just that it won't be fixed over the weekend. :(
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User

Didn't say it was being neglected, but obviously something happened... with a product clearly labeled as Beta.

Back in the first year or so, there were three separate sets of patch notes claiming to have finally removed references to Gateway "Beta".

Eventually, they seem to have given up, or admitted internally that they should leave it that way because it's still plenty imperfect.

Gateway being permanently in Beta is kind of a joke....

Ed: typo
    Well, I've only been playing the game for three months or so now... I didn't realise the Gateway had been in beta for as long as it had... although, I did state in my original post that companies often leave the beta tag on software far longer than they should, as appears to be the case here! ;)
    @samaka#2511
  • hav0clolhav0clol Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    bethannae said:

I'm pretty sure it's the filthy botters that are now running SCA lowering the prices of our sales.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    It is beyond likely that the outage is simply that someone tripped over the plug on their way out for the weekend.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • yokki1yokki1 Member Posts: 451 Arc User

It is beyond likely that the outage is simply that someone tripped over the plug on their way out for the weekend.

and the door closed and they were like "well too much fuss to open the door again, i am already out"
  • turloghobrienturloghobrien Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Thanks everybody for the posts. I was like: what a heck am I doing wrong? Now I am at least sure it is not PEBCAK on my side. I hope the issue gets fixed soon, as I have just started to work on Professions and Gateway is relly nice place to do it.
    The lack of official communication is bit frustrating.
  • eucha10eucha10 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I was wondering why the gateway since Friday show on maintenance and is still not available. Does anyone knows what's going on?
  • someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User
  • eucha10eucha10 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Now I know thanks...I really liked playing it though!! Hope it's just a bug and will be up running soon!
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User

Yeah have fun managing professions on 10 toons with just the game client. You will go insane. And yes, it is a game but it's also a game people put money and a lot of time into and for what? To be treated like second class customers and to be fobbed off with a lame apology.

I have 8 and all my prof maint is done in the game itself.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    ok guys HAMSTER happens sometimes and its sad, just be happy the dragon server its online and we can play!!
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Yeah have fun managing professions on 10 toons with just the game client. You will go insane.

I have 8 and all my prof maint is done in the game itself.
    I am not sure what point you are trying to make, as I totally agree with greywynd on this.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • adanraenadanraen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    The last days before the weekend the gateway and especially the dice game were a bit buggy. On one character I got 3 Sheppard dogs for free. Also I got three times the daily reward d20 dice. So I think there is really a bug on the gateway and unfortunately for us the support got on holiday.
  • rinat114rinat114 Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Today's the day! Where's mah fix?
    Post edited by rinat114 on
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    rinat114 said:

Today's the day! Wehre's mah fix?

LOL! It's 7:35 AM on the East Coast in the US. So like 4:35 AM in California. Pretty sure the devs are all still asleep. Please wait 12 hours before complaining.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • rinat114rinat114 Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

rinat114 said:

Today's the day! Wehre's mah fix?

LOL! It's 7:35 AM on the East Coast in the US. So like 4:35 AM in California. Pretty sure the devs are all still asleep. Please wait 12 hours before complaining.
    Ey I'm kidding, I know it's early in the US lmao, wasn't a complaint.
  • ajlir#7970 ajlir Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    Probably need a /s: The Reddit Way to point out jokes and sarcasm. And they have the right to ignore us like we're nothing and respond only the ones that "feels" like it needs answering.
  • archangelzorak01archangelzorak01 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 324 Arc User
    Give me Gateway or give me death... waffles?

Neverwinter Module 6: The only MMO expansion in the history of MMO's to remove more content than it added.

• myles08807myles08807 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 409 Arc User
    What a joke. I have a terrible feeling that the Gateway will go the way of the Foundry, an unwanted stepchild seen as an embarrassment to the profit centers of the game. Well, it was nice.
  • edu1930edu1930 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    bethannae said:

I agree. I'm in the same situation.
  • virsalus#4183 virsalus Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    So? Time is not an excuse any more, when is there finally going to be an official statement?
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User

So? Time is not an excuse any more, when is there finally going to be an official statement?

Still only 8am. Besides, unless Strumslinger is back from PAX West this morning and working, don't hold your breath for any kind of statement.

@strumslinger - by the way, hope you have fun in my hometown. I'm jealous, I miss living in the PNW...
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    weaver936 said:

kvet said:

They should just release the API they use and turn the Gateway into an open source app...

People are ALREADY exploiting issues with the Gateway and making Millions of AD from those exploits... sure.. make it open source so the game economy will be completely broken and the game company goes out of business.. great idea.
    So the gateway's closed-source nature doesn't prevent exploiting. Anyone clever enough to use an API can already automate the gateway, but it's difficult for skilled programmers to create a legitimate alternative to the gateway that benefits all players.

The real solution to exploitation is to adjust how professions work so that a human player and a bot will have about the same benefit (e.g. worthwhile tasks that take 24 hours, not 4 hours), allow limited task queuing, and make sure the total resources granted per day from crafting are reasonable.

You still have to deal with the fact that some players have 50 characters on their account and will have the same economic gain as 10 players that have 5 characters per account. That horse is out of the barn, though. PWE took money for those character slots and it would be very messy to walk that back.

PS - Botters can also automate the game client. This was proven when Leadership was temporarily removed from the gateway (back when you could directly generate raw AD).

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User

So the gateway's closed-source nature doesn't prevent exploiting. Anyone clever enough to use an API can already automate the gateway, but it's difficult for skilled programmers to create a legitimate alternative to the gateway that benefits all players.

The real solution to exploitation is to adjust how professions work so that a human player and a bot will have about the same benefit (e.g. worthwhile tasks that take 24 hours, not 4 hours), allow limited task queuing, and make sure the total resources granted per day from crafting are reasonable.

You still have to deal with the fact that some players have 50 characters on their account and will have the same economic gain as 10 players that have 5 characters per account. That horse is out of the barn, though. PWE took money for those character slots and it would be very messy to walk that back.

PS - Botters can also automate the game client. This was proven when Leadership was temporarily removed from the gateway (back when you could directly generate raw AD).

In large part, this is my thinking too. In addition to allowing saavy players to add QoL features, the other important part here is that EVERYONE can be on equal footing. Build the automation in so there's simply isn't an exploit here. As suggested above, build the rewards around the fact that they can be automated, then allow the automation. Opening the source simply means those of us with the expertise can create/contribute legit QoL enhancements to the game experience of all players. Instead of writing code, whoever is running the gateway becomes a system architect instead of a pure developer - perhaps creating and publishing feature wishlists for the community to build rather than having to code it him/herself, then vetting the stuff that's committed, organizing it, and stewarding it through QA - probably under more or less the existing dev processes.

The gateway client is already "open source" simply because it's run client-side on the browser. I would never suggest they open source their server software, but the web client is just standard JS/HTML/CSS - if you want to look at every single line of code, you already can without doing anything particularly special. My suggestion is simply that rather than fighting against a community that is seeking a reduction is the rote clickityclick, they should consider options (my suggestion being one of many possibilities) to embrace the community's enthusiasm and harness their talent to their benefit.
  • lastalertlastalert Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    so aside of the traditional speculation of Mr This and Ms That, the traditional non-sense of Mr That and Ms This, the traditional bad suggestions from the couple This That, any real information?
This discussion has been closed.