test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

gateway down????

Comments

• ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    panderus said:

two30 said:

I'd make all professions tasks take 30 seconds. Then I'd limit the "good" tasks by making their resources only available once a day or once a week. The gameplay of crafting should be gathering the ingredients. Currently the gameplay is employee management and robot bosses are outperforming humans. :(

Limiting the good tasks is sort of the route the old Dreadring/Sharandar weapons and Masterwork tasks have taken in the past and I feel have had good results by 'costing' the player to do some amount of gameplay first.
    @panderus One part that I absolutely loved about the game was using the crafting professions to create rare and powerful items via drops from the dungeons.

I wish this route would be re-examined as a way to make professions more valuable and worthwhile, but also to add more value back to dungeon drops. I remember the excitement of finally being able to craft my BiS Malabog's and later Fallen Dragon weapon set, as well as how good it felt to see one of theses pieces drop for the group, and actually being able to sell and split some worthwhile proceeds between everyone.

Such a good time from back in the day, and I would highly, highly encourage you to keep looking at things like this.

How can you make professions rewarding for those who are using them to supplement their game play, not substitute for game play? That's the magic question.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    panderus said:

loboguild said:

I have to agree with some that this is as much a design issue as a botting issue. Professions are botted because it's a repetitive task in which the tasks with a shorter duration also grant more rewards. That has to stop. No human individual can start tasks every four hours, two hours, one hour, 30 minutes. So why do they even exist? I'm sure there are other ways to reward activity. Most players prefer the long Leaderhsip tasks anyway so they can forget about professions for a day or whatever.

This is a very astute observation and one we feel strongly about as well in discussions the future and past of Professions.
    Very short profession tasks (the ones with completion times counted in minutes) are really only tenable on the character you're playing at the moment... or if you're using Gateway. Feed the Needy, alchemy experiments, the normal materials gather and refine tasks, actually making items. Most of it feels like it was designed in a way that almost requires Gateway for support, and indeed we are prompted to check out Gateway for professions management when we're initially introduced to the profession system. They very much go hand in glove. Of course, all of this is inherently console-unfriendly from the outset. Looking for specific rare tasks when they change every hour is also brutal for everyone without Gateway.

Many tasks are designed with a 6-hour duration, which becomes 4 hours if I have a purple worker to assign to it, and purple workers are very accessible now compared to three years ago. If I want to assign a bunch of profession slots to crafting stronghold items, without Gateway, I'm looking at about 60% downtime because I can't restart tasks that are long-completed.

Additionally, the game's profession UI for assigning assets is terrible compared to Gateway. It doesn't filter your assets that are already in use, just greys them out, and they're not presented in any logical order, so every secondary asset slot you want to fill requires scrolling and fiddling. The more assets you own, the worse it is. But everything with tiered results, you really want to be using secondary assets on if you have them. Gateway's interface is nicer by miles, and also has the convenience of the profession vendor a click away.

If Gateway is permanently offline, the entire profession system requires an overhaul. Unfortunately, that probably won't solve the problem either, since we already learned that the profession botters simply converted to in-game scripting when you were experimenting with keeping AD in Leadership and simply disabling it on Gateway. If it didn't work then, it's ultimately not going to help now.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia

The people who wrote a script for starting their professions aren't doing anything you can't do. They just do it hands-free using existing technology. They gain nothing more in return than you do.

Anyone who is able to change over their professions exactly as efficiently as a script is arguably performing at superhuman levels. The script can catch everything exactly as soon as it finishes all day every day, never needs to sleep, never needs to pay attention to anything else, never gets bored, never decides to go to the pub instead of babysit mouseclicks.

Every time a human operator loses uptime on running professions around the clock because of the limitations of their body and mind, they are less efficient than having it automated.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User

The people who wrote a script for starting their professions aren't doing anything you can't do. They just do it hands-free using existing technology. They gain nothing more in return than you do.

Anyone who is able to change over their professions exactly as efficiently as a script is arguably performing at superhuman levels. The script can catch everything exactly as soon as it finishes all day every day, never needs to sleep, never needs to pay attention to anything else, never gets bored, never decides to go to the pub instead of babysit mouseclicks.

Every time a human operator loses uptime on running professions around the clock because of the limitations of their body and mind, they are less efficient than having it automated.
    How dare you ? To go to a pub instead of clicking ! Heresy ! Blasphemy !
    Shame ! Shame ! Shame ! Shame ! Shame !
    Okayyyy... why would anyone write a script to restart their professions if they were going to build downtime into it?

Neverwinter Census 2017

• ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    Exactly. Especially the pub part...I can't remember how many daily tasks I've missed thanks to beer.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • andorrabellandorrabell Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 437 Arc User
    micky1p00 said:

Remove all the short timed tasks, make longer tasks. Tasks should be either more or less immediate (in seconds - for events, masterworks due to it's complexity) Or very long.
    This will reduce server load, and increase the value of the crafting people.
    Also the gateway can be made read only (or disabled), and the access can be tied to certain in game elements like ViP, gametime played, and even campaign, quests, or dungeon completion.

Okay everytime I see your name I wonder if you are Mitchypoo from Everquest. Coincidence, or correlation?

edited September 2016
    panderus said:

loboguild said:

I have to agree with some that this is as much a design issue as a botting issue. Professions are botted because it's a repetitive task in which the tasks with a shorter duration also grant more rewards. That has to stop. No human individual can start tasks every four hours, two hours, one hour, 30 minutes. So why do they even exist? I'm sure there are other ways to reward activity. Most players prefer the long Leaderhsip tasks anyway so they can forget about professions for a day or whatever.

This is a very astute observation and one we feel strongly about as well in discussions the future and past of Professions.

My husband uses an alarm. Seriously. It's *awesome* when he's doing 15 minute tasks. Wait, does that make my husband not a human individual? EEEEKKKKK

• aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User

Exactly. Especially the pub part...I can't remember how many daily tasks I've missed thanks to beer.

"BEER--The cause of, and the solution to all of Life's problems" Homer Simpson.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    Look, the game is already balanced around bots existing and how they impact the economy. All attempts to remove them have damaged the game more than they have helped. Resources towards this game, especially the PC side, are low. I don't think any of these are really in dispute.

As has been stated before: Make professions auto collect and auto repeat. Rebalance anything impacted by this (the biggest thing being RP costs) how you see fit: extended crafting times, increased RP cost (though I personally think the costs are already high enough even if this was implemented). Then most importantly, MOVE ON.

We have spent enough time on bots. At some point, concede defeat and move on to making stuff that actually makes the game FUN again. Defeating the bots is not going to make the game more fun. It is actually making it less fun.

1 - Make tasks repeatable and automatically collect them when done (assuming inventory space and resources of course).
    2 - Rebalance costs/timing of tasks if you feel necessary, assuming people are now running professions 24/7.
    3 - Put the gateway stuff in the game somehow and put some of the bETTER gateway features (AH sort by Qty, some other things) in the game. Call it a DAY!

If there were more resources dedicated to the game, maybe this is a battle that could be won. That said, even Pay to play games have the issue.

It is time the development team concentrated on making the game more fun for the real players, instead of engaging the bots in a war that they can not win (and a war that they enjoy fighting).

It's time to make America Neverwinter great again!
    edited September 2016
    Well said Gipsy. I'd add, keep SCA, keep the ability at least to *LOOK* at our character inventories and what's going on with TS, -- if you need to THEN make the SCA rewards account bound and give us a 2ndary location to get them. Professions seems obvious, but please DO NOT gate them behind the hell that is masterwork professions. Level 20 maybe.
  • johnjohniiijohnjohniii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 108 Arc User
    I'm feeling every hopeful with the developer and moderator being more involved in this conversation.

• virsalus#4183 virsalus Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    This would not solve the problem that
    panderus said:

two30 said:

I'd make all professions tasks take 30 seconds. Then I'd limit the "good" tasks by making their resources only available once a day or once a week. The gameplay of crafting should be gathering the ingredients. Currently the gameplay is employee management and robot bosses are outperforming humans. :(

Limiting the good tasks is sort of the route the old Dreadring/Sharandar weapons and Masterwork tasks have taken in the past and I feel have had good results by 'costing' the player to do some amount of gameplay first.

panderus said:

two30 said:

@panderus One part that I absolutely loved about the game was using the crafting professions to create rare and powerful items via drops from the dungeons.

I wish this route would be re-examined as a way to make professions more valuable and worthwhile, but also to add more value back to dungeon drops. I remember the excitement of finally being able to craft my BiS Malabog's and later Fallen Dragon weapon set, as well as how good it felt to see one of theses pieces drop for the group, and actually being able to sell and split some worthwhile proceeds between everyone.

Such a good time from back in the day, and I would highly, highly encourage you to keep looking at things like this.

How can you make professions rewarding for those who are using them to supplement their game play, not substitute for game play? That's the magic question.
    Have you guys forgotten already that a lot of people use the gateway to do professions and other things because they do not have a lot of time to play via the game client? Are you really going to screw all these people over by gating professions behind forced gameplay? You will ruin the professions system if you do that. And masterwork tasks are not a good thing to use as a reference. I myself have played this game for months and I haven't had access to masterwork tasks because I didn't join a big guild.
  • solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    Well if the web and the internet are not secure enough for gateway, maybe they can make a software that runs on low specs thats more secure and you can log on to your account and manage AH and professions!!!
  • h3llbentwisph3llbentwisp Member Posts: 32 Arc User

urabask said:

I've never understood why people don't understand that botting is in fact cheating.

Because it's not always real cheating. The people who wrote a script for starting their professions aren't doing anything you can't do. They just do it hands-free using existing technology. They gain nothing more in return than you do. It's the same difference between typing a message and dictating one to Siri: Siri, open < URL > and click my left mouse. That's basically the entire script. Nothing illegal there I think.
    Using AH scripting to keep undercutting people by 1 AD however or Dissemble existing programs and scripts in order to abuse them is an entirely different matter.
    I'm sure the objective behind the system on how professions is set up, was not meant to be abused by the use of scripting. The normal everyday person can not religiously start a new task on professions every 1, 2, 4, hours straight 7 seven days a week like a script can. On several different Toons to boot. The realism is just not there for that scenerio for everybody to be able to do that. So in fact using a script would be and is considered cheating.

Boils down to the saying "just because you can, doesn't mean you should"
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    solbergx said:

Well if the web and the internet are not secure enough for gateway, maybe they can make a software that runs on low specs thats more secure and you can log on to your account and manage AH and professions!!!

You can't log in without the internet. The game client uses it too. The game client can also be botted just the same as the gateway can (I think the very slow reaction times of the login server these days speak to that).
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,353 Arc User
    edited September 2016

urabask said:

I've never understood why people don't understand that botting is in fact cheating.

Because it's not always real cheating. The people who wrote a script for starting their professions aren't doing anything you can't do. They just do it hands-free using existing technology. They gain nothing more in return than you do. It's the same difference between typing a message and dictating one to Siri: Siri, open < URL > and click my left mouse. That's basically the entire script. Nothing illegal there I think.
    Using AH scripting to keep undercutting people by 1 AD however or Dissemble existing programs and scripts in order to abuse them is an entirely different matter.
    I'm sure the objective behind the system on how professions is set up, was not meant to be abused by the use of scripting. The normal everyday person can not religiously start a new task on professions every 1, 2, 4, hours straight 7 seven days a week like a script can. On several different Toons to boot. The realism is just not there for that scenerio for everybody to be able to do that. So in fact using a script would be and is considered cheating.

Boils down to the saying "just because you can, doesn't mean you should"
    The high yield task are 12 hours, 16 hours and then 8 hours. I use the 4 hours as filler so that I can start a long one before bed time. You don't need a script if you only do that twice or 3 times daily. At least, I don't and I don't use a script and that is why I care about 'back page'.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    panderus said:

loboguild said:

The tasks most people run take ~12 hours though. The problem comes more from people wanting more than they can chew. Someone running 51+ characters with epic laborers on every single one wants the rewards but doesn't want to spend hours a day resetting tasks.

That's way beyond my scope. I only stated "starting professions". The URL is clearly visible and you abuse nothing. But yes, when you go that far you cross the line and it's actual cheating. Had the URLs been hidden and you had to take them by following 50 AJAX scripts it would also be cheating. Merely starting professions using an URL script is not something bad and puts no more strain on the server than if you did it by hand. In fact, you could do it in such a way that the server would never know the difference. That's the limit I suppose. It has to be "impossible by intended means" for it to be cheating.
    Cheating generally infers that someone is using something not included in the game itself to gain an advantage over other players or using an exploit to do something the devs don't intend you to do. The amount of strain it puts on the servers has nothing to do with whether or not its cheating.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
    solbergx said:

That has nothing to do with security. The bot has a "valid" login and password.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • deathman#5491 deathman Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I still don't see why they can't just disable the parts the botters are exploiting and give us something

I still don't see why they can't just disable the parts the botters are exploiting and give us something

Which part you have in mind? SCA, Profession, AH can all be bot. Leaving only showing your character and mail?
    Wasn't aware SCA could be botted. Can't remember what ah is. But still you get character and guild stuff
    There are many anti cheat options out there like every 10 actions the player has to choose all the cakes from a set of pictures
  • btairbornebtairborne Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    panderus said:

loboguild said:

Sounds like a major change to Professions is coming.
  • btairbornebtairborne Member Posts: 352 Arc User

urabask said:

Crock of kittens. All botting is cheating. Period.
  • bumfluffbobbumfluffbob Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 46 Arc User
    clonkyo1 said:

@panderus : A good addition to professions would be these until you figure out how to do the system more "friendly":

- A way to open all carried boxes in inventory at once. I just opened 300 Arti bags... my mouse is imploring mercy.

I have set one of my function keys to toggle auto repeat left mouse clicks every 15ms. I open a box, place the mouse cursor over the "open another" button, then hit f11. Once all the boxes are open I press f11 again. Does that make me an 'in-game botter'?
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

clonkyo1 said:

@panderus : A good addition to professions would be these until you figure out how to do the system more "friendly":

- A way to open all carried boxes in inventory at once. I just opened 300 Arti bags... my mouse is imploring mercy.

I have set one of my function keys to toggle auto repeat left mouse clicks every 15ms. I open a box, place the mouse cursor over the "open another" button, then hit f11. Once all the boxes are open I press f11 again. Does that make me an 'in-game botter'?
    Technically, yes. I don't know for sure Cryptic/PWE's policies concerning this, but I know most MMOs have a rule - 1 click, 1 action.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

clonkyo1 said:

Technically, yes. I don't know for sure Cryptic/PWE's policies concerning this, but I know most MMOs have a rule - 1 click, 1 action.
    PWE's policies are pretty broard. If they wanted to they could ban someone for it. They usually don't because it's pretty hard to prove unless they catch you using third party software like autohotkey.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • weaver936weaver936 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 443 Arc User
    Just basic logic... if you make professions easy.. everyone will do them and no one will make a profit from it... I t
    panderus said:

loboguild said:

Man.. this is discouraging. Please don't twist Professions into easy peasy click things... the more people that do professions.. the mess profitable it will be... it will become a meaningless part of the game. I know... financially, this might help you guys twist our arms and pigeon hole us into buying Zen.. but it will ROB this game of yet another unique and interesting aspect. of game play.

One thing that has always been a ray of sunshine to me is that NW is one of those rare games where Crafting actually MATTERS...

Tasks with a shorter duration had more value because it required you to be in game more to actually capitalize on that fact. This was kinda a reward for no lifers like me :D. Added benefits to the game company because it motivated more people to be in game more (or at least like with me.. on TS, accessible to my guildies more) instead of me being bored out of my mind and tinkering with other games or activities to keep myself entertained.
    “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!”

― Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

Guild Leader of Ardent Justice HQ: Always recruiting People not Pixels.

FOUNDER and OWNER of the SKT3K Channel: SKT Only Content 3k+. http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228278/skt-content-for-the-non-elite-video-links-provided
  • weaver936weaver936 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    panderus said:

two30 said:

Glad you are interacting with the community.. sad you think enslaving people is a way to make this game more enjoyable. IF this is to counter-balance the botting effect on Cryptic/PWE's income.. then that's understandable.. you guys have to eat...

But, with everything you guys have done recently that is even closely related to AD generation in game... it honestly looks like a campaign to bring all things ad related under the Iron Fisted control of a Greedy Dictatorship. Yes, those are strong words.. and maybe seemingly baseless accusations... but it's how I'm beginning to feel about the motives of the game company in these changes.

From the looks of it...you guys aren't combating Bots... you are limiting EVERY player to a certain allotment of Ad per day.. irregardless of personal effort to progress and thrive at the economic side of the game.

There HAS been ways to be independent of Zen Purchases... a way to Play for Free in this Free to Play game.... I honestly think THIS is the target of the Devs... not botters.

The more the Devs talk... the more it seems their hearts are full of greed... not compassion or consideration for their consumers. And this causes me to not want to help them at all... not want to make a great guild filled with people taht teach and help new players... not want to progress my toons to make life easier for my guildies... because.. ultimately.. that would do nothing but lead them into captivity... lead them to the wolves like lambs...

I NEED TO BE ABLE TO TRUST THE MOTIVES of the Devs. In order to invest in and support their cause. This is less and less a possibility daily....
    “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!”

― Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

Guild Leader of Ardent Justice HQ: Always recruiting People not Pixels.

FOUNDER and OWNER of the SKT3K Channel: SKT Only Content 3k+. http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228278/skt-content-for-the-non-elite-video-links-provided
This discussion has been closed.