test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How long is it supposed to take to Unlock Fangbreaker's Island?

Comments

• Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User

Thank you for the update.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

qexotic said:

Whoops, forgot the Armour Enhancement Kits which take you to 32%. But even then, you still have to be lucky enough to have a set of Epic Boots drop from an HE to hit your target. So, realistically speaking, players WILL need to pick up Frostborn Armour to get to FBI as it will be the only way to get enough everfrost resistance.

As others have pointed out the drop rate on the footwear is actually quite reasonable, so we don't think the frostborn armor should feel necessary. However, the percentage you pointed out, 32%, is in fact the correct amount you can earn before entering Fangbreaker, or before reaching the 4th boon.

My statement that you'll be able to meet the requirement without frostborn is correct, however, my statement that you won't need soup was incorrect. I'll be the first to admit I made a mistake there due to some miscommunication on our end. I spoke with our campaign designer about the required reputation for the boon vs. the dungeon, we've adjusted the entry requirements on Fangbreaker to 28%.

That change is already in our build and will be going out before the dungeon is available in lieu of the aforementioned fix to 31%, so there shouldn't be any confusion for those watching the queue description. This does mean it will be a little bit harder to survive going in, but overall our goal was that you could be short one of the smaller pieces or make a choice not to use the ring for instance.

Having to switch around to otherwise sub-optimal gear, as well as dedicating several inventory slots to potions, in order to even do this thing is not something that's going to go over well in this game. In other MMOs it might be perfectly fine, even considered cool to need multiple sets and certain potions to run all end-game content. But there are two major issues that I think you're overlooking.
    1. Neverwinter aggressively attacks players' inventory spaces. We don't have the space for a second set of gear. And a second set of gear that is only useful in one thing isn't worth it unless there are some truly amazing rewards.
    2. There are no truly amazing rewards for doing anything.
  • Options
    two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    It would be nice if we understood how the campaign unlocks in general.

How does the "Blizzard's Return" weekly quest unlock?
    How does the Lonelywood zone unlock?
    How does the "Tending the Shrine" weekly quest unlock?
    How does the Cold Run zone unlock?
    How does the "Out of Supplies" weekly quest unlock?

The campaign tasks appear to be irrelevant. Lonelywood opens up before you do the "Save Lonelywood Refugees" task. So it's probably reputation based. The campaign does a poor job of indicating this.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • Options
    qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    asterdahl said:

qexotic said:

Whoops, forgot the Armour Enhancement Kits which take you to 32%. But even then, you still have to be lucky enough to have a set of Epic Boots drop from an HE to hit your target. So, realistically speaking, players WILL need to pick up Frostborn Armour to get to FBI as it will be the only way to get enough everfrost resistance.

As others have pointed out the drop rate on the footwear is actually quite reasonable, so we don't think the frostborn armor should feel necessary. However, the percentage you pointed out, 32%, is in fact the correct amount you can earn before entering Fangbreaker, or before reaching the 4th boon.

My statement that you'll be able to meet the requirement without frostborn is correct, however, my statement that you won't need soup was incorrect. I'll be the first to admit I made a mistake there due to some miscommunication on our end. I spoke with our campaign designer about the required reputation for the boon vs. the dungeon, we've adjusted the entry requirements on Fangbreaker to 28%.

That change is already in our build and will be going out before the dungeon is available in lieu of the aforementioned fix to 31%, so there shouldn't be any confusion for those watching the queue description. This does mean it will be a little bit harder to survive going in, but overall our goal was that you could be short one of the smaller pieces or make a choice not to use the ring for instance.

Many thanks for the useful response and for lowering the entry requirement. Sadly, from my experience this evening, getting hold of a set of boots may prove quite difficult. While the drop rate might be reasonable, it makes little difference if you are unable to locate a good group to do an extended run round the HEs in Bryn. In over an hour and a half of play time, I only completed one major HE. The hordes may have moved on already :( 28% is still a pretty high target but it will take me a couple of weeks to get the required reputation, so there is still time to track down a pair of boots...or three if I want to get all my characters to Fangbreaker >:)

• Options
    two30 said:

It would be nice if we understood how the campaign unlocks in general.

How does the "Blizzard's Return" weekly quest unlock?
    How does the Lonelywood zone unlock?
    How does the "Tending the Shrine" weekly quest unlock?
    How does the Cold Run zone unlock?
    How does the "Out of Supplies" weekly quest unlock?

The campaign tasks appear to be irrelevant. Lonelywood opens up before you do the "Save Lonelywood Refugees" task. So it's probably reputation based. The campaign does a poor job of indicating this.

That campaign task opened up at the same time you were sent off to Lonelywood.

I agree the progression is a little non-standard, and leaves one quite confused as to when things are going to advance, as most campaigns require you to complete a campaign task before you can proceed to the next zone/stage/whatever and continue on, and the Lonelywood weekly seemed to unlock once you hit 59 reputation, which was a day (or was it two?) after you could first arrive. Plus giving 9 reputation from the dailies just makes the reputation total weird. Very aggravating for OCD types or those who like multiples of 5 or 10.
  • Options
    diorieldioriel Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    My question is...where on live do you get the pants/shirt? they aren't in the campaign store. On preview they just gave them to you for free for testing, but i'm not seeing where you get them on live.
    Leader of Conviction: find me in game if you're looking for a friendly guild!

Looking for reviews (will trade)!
    Arachnophobia
    Code: NW-DMRQYIZQT
    For all the spider-haters out there :p
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Does empowering the tradebar gear to level 3 give more everfrost resist?
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    dioriel said:

My question is...where on live do you get the pants/shirt? they aren't in the campaign store. On preview they just gave them to you for free for testing, but i'm not seeing where you get them on live.

There are campaign tasks that indicate they will add more items to the store, but they don't actually tell you which task you need to get up to for what items.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User

dioriel said:

There are campaign tasks that indicate they will add more items to the store, but they don't actually tell you which task you need to get up to for what items.
    The only one that says it adds items is the "resist the cold" task, 'course this could be typical cryptic where they bait you into that and it's the wrong one.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    urabask said:

dioriel said:

The only one that says it adds items is the "resist the cold" task, 'course this could be typical cryptic where they bait you into that and it's the wrong one.
    Maybe there are tiers within tiers? Don't some of the tasks just say "improves the campaign store"?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I thought I would revisit my list of 'obtainable' items with a few caveats.

Easy to get:

2nd Boon = 2% (just takes time)
    Potion of Everfrost Resist (Blue bottle) = 5%
    Excavator's Potion of Everfrost Resist = 5% (but potions don't stack anymore)

Hard to get:

Trailblazer's Raid Gaiters, i.e. Epic Boots dropped from Major HEs in Bryn Shander (Maxed) = 8% (The drop rate on this may be 'reasonable' but getting together a group to run the large HEs successfully is not easy)
    (4th Boon = 2% but doesn't count as you need 350 Reputation which is more than you need to reach FBI)

Uncertain as I do not know where you find/buy/obtain them:

Makos' Signet = 3% (downgrade to gear due to Utility slot rather than Defense)
    Greater Everfrost Trousers, i.e. Epic Undergarment = 3% (Store item maybe ? But cost unknown)
    Greater Everfrost Undercoat, i.e. Epic Undergarment = 3% (Store item maybe ? But cost unknown)
    Cawl Cennin (soup ?) = 2% (SH item ? Unobtainable to players not in a Guild)

Could be made of unobtainium:

Everfrost Resist Armor Kit = 3% = 6% when applied to both undergarments (if these are new Profession tasks then they will be out of reach for a lot of players unless the requirements are drastically reduced. The 100k AD main ingredient for similar Armor Kits that can already be made puts them out of reach of a large number of players. Getting the Profession up to 25 can also be a stumbling block but essentially is just another 'takes a lot of time' item)

If anyone has more information or disagrees with my assessments, please feel free to chime in :)

• Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

qexotic said:

"Reasonable"? I've played over 100 epic HEs since the mod 10 release, and so far, I got no boots. So how long is this silly thing going to take me, seriously? Is that your definition of reasonable? Why isn't it a guaranteed drop after you've been through an abnormal number of attempts with no drops?
  • Options
    fuglymookfuglymook Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    This is just HAMSTER poor design, majority of people that equip this gear will take an item level penalty and not even be able to do content. Depending on gear drop from HE encounters that have crappy RNG rate is another HAMSTER poor design that we have already seen in original IWD content that was an absolute failure. I heavy farmed HEs first 2 days and got 10 pairs of boots but not the ones I needed for my spec. Reading this thread just makes me think that this MOD is already a failure just like MOD 3 Curse of Icewind Dale was. Thank you DEVS!! (<-Sarcasm)

Rewards from FangBanger Dungeon do not make it worth buying/farming the gear to enter dungeon, I think I will just wait the 2-3 months until they remove the resist from the requirement to enter dungeon like they did in MOD 3 for Kessell's Retreat!

Post edited by fuglymook on
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    qexotic said:

In over an hour and a half of play time, I only completed one major HE.

There's a hidden command for creating HE groups. In your chat box type /zone Anyone doing HE's in Bryn Shandar?

That's worked for me the last 5 nights. Within a couple minutes I was in a group plowing through HE events. Even managed to get the power/crit boots drop last night after running about 10 more HE's.

i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options

qexotic said:

In over an hour and a half of play time, I only completed one major HE.

There's a hidden command for creating HE groups. In your chat box type /zone Anyone doing HE's in Bryn Shandar?

That's worked for me the last 5 nights. Within a couple minutes I was in a group plowing through HE events. Even managed to get the power/crit boots drop last night after running about 10 more HE's.
    I will give that a try, even though it will mean re-enabling Zone Chat which I turned off some time ago due to the, largely, inane content that I could live without >:)

• Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    fishing and refugees (and maybe more of the quests) require you to instance hop, you fish at one hole that is open, move along to each one, instance hop and do another round, sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you dont.

There were a few times that Ive gotten as many as 3 sets of crabs spawn while I pulled a fish up.

They have always had issues with daily quests and sharing capablilites, why exactly each instance quest cant be unique to your own toon, I couldnt tell you, maybe coding issues with that. They finally solved the IWD ones, but it took a good long while (from my memory the doggy wolf one in WOD was always buggy and people could steal them as well)

Time gating is annoying, but what is even more annoying then time gating is the everfrost check.

• Options
    ribbs1 said:

Can you please allow us to progress faster? The time gating is annoying. And either fix the fishing or remove it. It doesn't work!

You can skip quests if you want. The "Defending the Dale" quest needed to advance the campaign only requires a certain number of quests to be completed in Lonelywood or Bryn Shandar, so you only have to do one or two out of three. And the quests from the previous day count towards those completions if you haven't turn them in yet.

So if you don't like a particular quest, like fishing, just skip it.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    qexotic said:

Everfrost Resist Armor Kit = 3% = 6% when applied to both undergarments (if these are new Profession tasks then they will be out of reach for a lot of players unless the requirements are drastically reduced. The 100k AD main ingredient for similar Armor Kits that can already be made puts them out of reach of a large number of players. Getting the Profession up to 25 can also be a stumbling block but essentially is just another 'takes a lot of time' item)

These are also store items, so the same unknown applies as to the underwear.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    flyingleonflyingleon Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    We need 3.1k item level requirement, campaign progression and 28% Everfrost resist to play new dungeon? Besides 28% Everfrost resist, I see other two requirements are two restrictive and unnecessary. Whatever dungeon 3.1k can do, a 2.9k can do it too with maybe a bit more time. Campaign progression also limits people playing several toons.

Join the Greycloaks

Ana-GWF SM Destroyer | Farseer-CW MoF Renegade | Leon-GF SM Tactician
    Adrik Battlefate-DC DO Virtuous | Cassi Woodsheart-HR PF Trapper
  • Options
    rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    It's a pity that at the end of the day we're forcing to find workaround instead of going straight.
    The fishing quest is time consuming with no/little engagement. The funniest moment is when my toon pulls the hook in the sand and not in the sea. On the contrary the instance hop to speed up, is not funny.
    The trainee quest is a crossing-finger quest from which started a long speculation between the players. It's a bug and it's clear, but we had to squeeze our brain to find a workaround with no/little success.

Finally there are legitimate questions on how to have enough everfrost resistance, where to find all the things that are needed and if there is something to unlock to access them. An answer would be appreciated.

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Ok, so there is something else to factor into the entry requirement equation. The cost of restoring a set of Relic Boots. Thanks to the advice of ironzerg, I've just spent an hour and a half running backwards and forwards between major HEs in Bryn Shandler before finally getting a set of boots for my HR. Yay :) However, they now need restoring. I picked up some pieces of Lanolil while doing the HEs, so that is covered. I believe I will be getting a jar of Ostorian Resin through a fix being posted in Thursdays patch. There are two further ingredients listed in the Campaign Shop: Borax and Dragon Shell Oil. I have got the Campaign Quest element 'Restore Bryn Shander's Economy' up to level 2. At this point the cost for each component is: 20,000 Voninblod and 130 Ten Towns' Supplies. At Level 1 it was 22k and 150. Level 3 will bring it down a bit more. I am going to hazard a guess that completing 'Assist Refugees' will further reduce the costs. However, unless it is by a pretty large amount then the grind to get enough Voninblod and Ten Towns' Supplies just to restore one piece of Epic Gear is going to be humungous. I don't want to think about how much effort will be involved in restoring a full set of four pieces.

So, as that one piece contributes 8%, i.e. almost one third, of the required 28% of Everfrost Resistance I am back to thinking that the only realistic option will be to obtain some Frostborn gear. Two pieces fully charged would provide the same 8% and are going to be much, much easier to obtain through either the Tradebar Store or the AH for most players.

P.S. I would also still like to know exactly how you go about restoring the Epic Gear. Is it going to be a Profession Task ? If so which profession at what level (wild guess at 25 for that one) and will it be one of the rare tasks that only pop up from time to time rather than being always available ?
  • Options
    qexotic said:

P.S. I would also still like to know exactly how you go about restoring the Epic Gear. Is it going to be a Profession Task ? If so which profession at what level (wild guess at 25 for that one) and will it be one of the rare tasks that only pop up from time to time rather than being always available ?

Upgrading and/or BoP gear has never been a rare crafting task (personalized rings, anything in Black Ice Shaping, Fomorian/Fallen Dragon weapons). Only BoE items have been subject to the whimsy of rotating tasks.

It is a good question otherwise. I level armor professions just-because, but for anyone who doesn't bother, I'm sure they'd like to know.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    edited August 2016
    ribbs1 said:

Right click the Frayed item and select Restore.

Thankyou :) Shuffles off into corner of room and places Dunce's Cap on head :(

So it turns out restoring the boots isn't going to be quite as bad as I feared. I will need 7000 Voninblod, 1 x Ostorian Resin and 25 Lanolin. The hardest one of those will be the Lanolin as so far I have only managed to aquire 9, so I will have to run a lot more major HEs for the rest. For those interested, this is what the boot restoration screen looks like:

photo Boot Restoration 01_zpsgy2xkwin.jpg