test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Scourge Warlock changes

Comments

• hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    amenar said:

Howdy all - A few more quick upcoming patch notes. These might hit preview as early as tomorrow, but might not make it til early next week.

• Scourge Warlock: Harrowstorm: The previously mentioned 50% damage buff should actually work now. In addition, the damage reported on the tooltip should be accurate.
    • Scourge Warlock: Feat: Creeping Death: Now deals its damage over 6 seconds (4 times, once every 1.5s) instead of over 8 seconds (4 times, once every 2s).
    • Scourge Warlock: Vampiric Embrace: Damage increased ~60%.
    • Scourge Warlock: Feat: Murderous Flames: Now works with Killing Flames Rank 4.
    • Scourge Warlock: Artifact Class Feature: All-Consuming Curse: Now works with All-Consuming Curse Rank 4.
    Also, someone asked about Curse Bite generating AP - it does, and it uses the same formula as the other Encounter powers.
    Since this balancing started, I wondering, what kind limitation we have. Do there plan to cut/replace some powers. Or just stick with them and hope that some adjustments will be Ok?
    Plus question does warlocks balancing final planed with mod 10 introduction?
    Post edited by hadestemplar#9918 on
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • amenaramenar Member, NW_CrypticDev Posts: 90 Arc User
    d4rkh0rs3 said:

and/or you may lose spheres if damaged, similar to CW shield.

Do you guys have a camera in here? This is what I was working on. The patch note will be:
    • Scourge Warlock: Infernal Spheres: No longer attacks enemies that get near you. Instead, sends a sphere out to targets that attack you.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    amenar said:

d4rkh0rs3 said:

Do you guys have a camera in here? This is what I was working on. The patch note will be:
    • Scourge Warlock: Infernal Spheres: No longer attacks enemies that get near you. Instead, sends a sphere out to targets that attack you.
    Will we have to wait till they're all expended before we can recast it?
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    amenar said:

d4rkh0rs3 said:

@amenar I know I would be pushing me luck here, but would it be possible at some point to have some "test weapons" introduced to the game with low damage (so that they would only be used for testing) no power and a constant range on weapon damage (for example 100-100). This would make it a lot easier for us to test things and provide better feedback (you know, like that essence defiler hitting for a convenient 1000, having a more consistent damage range would be a HUGE benefit to us). Also, thanks for all the great work all round :)
  • amenaramenar Member, NW_CrypticDev Posts: 90 Arc User

@amenar I know I would be pushing me luck here, but would it be possible at some point to have some "test weapons" introduced to the game with low damage (so that they would only be used for testing) no power and a constant range on weapon damage (for example 100-100). This would make it a lot easier for us to test things and provide better feedback (you know, like that essence defiler hitting for a convenient 1000, having a more consistent damage range would be a HUGE benefit to us). Also, thanks for all the great work all round :)

They are super convenient, and I use them all the time. :)

We have made a set for every class that we use internally for functionality testing. I'll mention to the team that you guys would be interested in having them available.
    ghoulz66 said:

The easy first implementation was this, but it doesn't feel great, so I'm looking to see what I can do.
    Well it's a nice step towards a more bulky up close style. Blades and using ranged powers at point blank range:P

Still hoping for improvement for hellish rebuke.
  • d4rkh0rs3d4rkh0rs3 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    @amenar if you mention porting over xbox characters to the preview servers, you will get a dedicated tester for all 8 classes. :)

I beg you, ask the TOP MEN.
    Amenar, just use infernal spheres like CW shield:

- use encounter
    - if mob hits you, lose a sphere. Sphere attacks mob and heals you, but you lose DR.
    - automatically regenerate spheres over time.
    - activating the encounter when spheres are present shoots all spheres out.

= win
    @amenar

What do you think about making Hand of Blight Melee into an AoE? It currently has no DPS advantage over other at-wills.
    @ghoulz66 Hand of Blight is used primarily in PvP to debuff.
  • candinho2candinho2 Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    @amenar Can you buff killing flames damage a bit? maybe ~30%?
    Also arms of hadar, it coude use a ~30% buff over the existing one?
    Ohh and what about making flames of phelgethos a single target only and boost it's damage by 100~130%? i would love to see ppl melting on pvp
  • candinho2candinho2 Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    We realy need something to put fear on ppl, like CW has that huge ice knife, tr got SE, GWF have IBS/IS, HR got a AS/tons of cc, DC are immortal, OP also immortal, GF have AoD/IS. and SW have nothing
    KF needs to deal equal damage across the board, regardless of the enemy's HP and/or have the cooldown reduced. Let's be real, it was only sexy when murderous flames was bugged. :)
    edited July 2016
    candinho2 said:

We realy need something to put fear on ppl, like CW has that huge ice knife, tr got SE, GWF have IBS/IS, HR got a AS/tons of cc, DC are immortal, OP also immortal, GF have AoD/IS. and SW have nothing

PThey afraid that they will laugh of SW performance to point they can blank out or their character explode form laugh and die. (sorry for sarcasm).
    amenar said:

d4rkh0rs3 said:

Scenario A
    pvp: U are fighting along your team mate. Lets say u both attacking GF who is in team with OP or whatever. U can use only 2 encounters. Infernal spheres will not do anything until one of enemies hit u. And even if do hit, only 1 sphere will start went out = poor dmg per hit. = U watch how team mate die in pool of blood, in pain and agony cursing and swearing that striker warlock lack dps capability . = no big reason for my HB to use it, I already have problems with DoT...

Scenario B with party u are in dungeon. tank hold boss with agro, Boss will not hit u = Infernal spheres can't be used for attacking. = if i will use it I give up kinda lot dps.. < and warlock bargain would provide more higher survivability than this new IS version ..

But this is in theory . Waiting to see in action. And hopping that HB will get brighter days :)
    Post edited by hadestemplar#9918 on
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

d4rkh0rs3 said:

@ghoulz66 Hand of Blight is used primarily in PvP to debuff.

I never even see SWs use it in melee range during pvp.

Besides, why limit a power's usefulness for just pvp? SW desperately needs more AoE in PVE.
    @ghoulz66 Eldritch Blast is an AoE at-will. Smart SWs use hand of blight with main hand bonus for PvP debuff. :smiley:
    edited July 2016
    d4rkh0rs3 said:

@ghoulz66 Eldritch Blast is an AoE at-will. Smart SWs use hand of blight with main hand bonus for PvP debuff. :smiley:

Ha, have you tried clearing packs with that? It's as much of a pack clearer as Arms of Hadar, no, it's worst. I'm talking about a true AoE like cleave or WMS. And please stop talking about the pvp debuff...

Just listen. Even Fernu agrees that the SW's AoE DPS is still lacking.
    @ghoulz66 you said, "I never even see SWs use it in melee range during pvp." Hence the mention.

Eldritch Blast AoE should proc the hellbringer class feature for FoE, no?
    d4rkh0rs3 said:

@ghoulz66 you said, "I never even see SWs use it in melee range during pvp." Hence the mention.

Eldritch Blast AoE should proc the hellbringer class feature for FoE, no?

Seriously, you have got to be kidding me here. Go test that out yourself and time how long it'll take to fully debuff things. Really, try that in a party. A crappy class feature for mobs. Does Dust to Dust face this kind of problem? Of course not. So why should Hellbringer get the short end of the stick?

It's not just about FoE, the SW needs more AoE DPS, but at least the class feature will have synergy with something.
  • jayc12ojayc12o Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    No adjustments to how fast we lose our sparks when out of combat ( opponent runs away with ambush ring)?
    4k IL LGPG PVP SW
  • treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited July 2016

Keep in mind that any rework of Spheres that wouldn't involve firing when enemies are in range would require a new animation, which takes a lot longer to implement.

Not saying it's a bad idea, just utterly impossible for this set of changes, and would require more substantial time budgeting down the road than may be feasible.

Not really, the animations would be the same, while not activated they float around you as if no enemie were nearby (on live now), when activated they will search targets like they do now, in fact i dont think much more than coding (no apearance editing) is needed.
    amenar said:

@amenar Is the attack rate of each sphere still the same? This changes nothing in the trouble i had in pvp if 1. we cant control when to cast or 2. they will attack the enemy with the same amount of time between them that they now have? Because currently they expend in a second or less.

And this will now be much worse in pve because we actually need the target to attack us for us to be abble to do some damage to him. Sorry but i didn't like the idea. Adding a control over the spheres would provide better survival in pvp, situational use in pve - if i want to do damage i make them attack, if need protection i keep them, it would be very versatil, they dont seem very appealing now.
    Post edited by treesclimber on

• thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    amenar said:

They are super convenient, and I use them all the time. :)

We have made a set for every class that we use internally for functionality testing. I'll mention to the team that you guys would be interested in having them available.
    ghoulz66 said:

The easy first implementation was this, but it doesn't feel great, so I'm looking to see what I can do.
    TY @amenar, to me, having those tools to more accurately test stuff will be a bigger improvement than all of the balance changes so far :)
  • lihin23nihillihin23nihil Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    amenar said:

Also, someone asked about Curse Bite generating AP - it does, and it uses the same formula as the other Encounter powers.

That was me, thanks for the response :)
    Can we increase the amount it gives then please?

Do we have any insight into what that formula is? From some quick testing there is a large variance of AP* generated between powers, roughly speaking I can break them down into a few categories (I didn't have a couple of encounters specced so not all are listed):

Low AP Gain (we'll use this as a base unit X)
    ==========
    Soul Scorch (since this can be spammed a low AP gain makes sense)
    Curse Bite
    Wraith's Shadow

Mid AP Gain (c. 2X)
    ========
    BotVA
    Fiery Bolt
    Vampiric Embrace
    Killing Flames
    Hadar's Grasp

High AP Gain (c. 3X)
    ==========
    Dreadtheft
    Warlock's Bargain
    Harrow Storm

For reference At-Wills generate about X/2 per cast.

So it seems that either the formula for AP is complex and takes a lot of variables into account per power, CD, Damage, Utility etc - in which case these variables may need updating? or the formula is simple and not all powers are implementing it the same way.

*Since there is no easy way to accurately measure base AP given per power and it's quite build dependent anyway, trying to give actual figures doesn't seem useful.

• dynethordynethor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 13 Arc User
    @Amenar: you are doing an incredible job! Thank you very much!
  • damoc#3687 damoc Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    any thought about linking Vampiric embrace's damage to the warlock HP similar to the tenebrous enchant?
    preferably to the max HP but could be a multiplication effect either on the sw's missing hp or the %HP diference with the target:

the spell would have a base damage probably a small %age of Sw's max health to ease the calculus (let's say 6.5% at rank 1+1.5% per rank)
    the more the sw is damaged the greater the damage increase
    the healthier the target the greater the damage increase

which means;
    SW healthy, target near death -> no damage increase
    SW and target in the same range of health (both full or both half-full or both near-death) -> moderate damage increase (let's say +100% meaning the power deals 13% of max Hp at rank 1 and 28% at rank 4)
    SW near-death and target full health -> huge damage increase (let's say +200% resulting in a hit for 19.5% of sw max hp at rank 1 and 42% at rank 4)

if we deduce heals and temp hp with the current values of 75% and 150% it gives:

5% heal - 10% temp hp with no damage increase at rank 1 ( 10.5%-21% at rank 4)
    10% heal - 20% temp hp with moderate damage increase at rank 1(21%-42% at rank 4)
    15% heal - 30% temp hp with huge damage increase at rank 1(31.5% - 63% at rank 4)

This would have a build-in scalability along the character progression, still being useful in later content.
  • gt8600gt8600 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2016

Ok, I understand, TT is not coming back.
    But now we have the problem of not doing efficient AoE damage.

TT allowed us to shape ours AoEs in a big circle,or long rectangle. And control the intensity and rhythm of the DPS,depending on the situation (need a fast burst? Feed it with FB. Need constant,stable damage? Feed it with BoVa.Or go burst,sustained,burst) It was a "crutch",but also a tool to transmutate encounters in a very fun,versatile and effective way. With it,my warlock could adapt and be useful in every PVE situation in the game.

You removed TT, the crutch is gone,but the problems still there, because many of our encounters are still weak or clunky,and risky, in their design and mechanics.

Also,the splash damage of TC is too weak,it only tickles the mobs around the primary target. Could you please increase it by a noticeable amount? So we can compete with a wizard casting oppressive force on a pack of frozen mobs ,or a gwf's powerful swings and their many amazing self buffs?

TC is very slow to cast,it locks you in place,you still can force a walk forward ,but it looks like your toon is stumbling on an invisible rock.

Sws need a way to do good AoE damage. Brood is too weak,Flames duration and radius are too small,TC splash damage is just a tickle. Visually, Gates looks amazing,but it hits like a pillow.

• jobsalotofworkjobsalotofwork Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 189 Arc User
    <Font color=blue>
    SW as a Leader

The class is sorely lacking in leader traits I think a change too all the personal options on powers and features is necessary too make this side of the class relevant. Have Warlocks curse increase all damage against the target , the defensive class feature affect all out going damage on WC targets, vampiric embrace becomes an aoe heal, PoP is always a group buff, etc. This would help the class be less one dimensional and remove the need for it to be the top dps since it's lacking in all other roles.

</Font>
    amenar said:

Howdy all

Hey @amenar I wonder if even temporally replace Hellbringers Hellish rebuke with Cw's master of flame: Scorching Burst ability. And what kind impact would cause such changes.. Even without Smolder. mechanic implemantation.
    That would make AoE at will with DoT effect..
    Gustave Le Bon.

• schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    @amenar
    Please fix Dreadtheft, it only stacks up to 3 and looses stacks even activated in combat, it was a bred and butter encouter in PVP stacking on single target and the way it works atm it is no real option any more

Please rethink the option to let soulsparks decrease slower out oft combat like determination, lets say 15 seconds and gone from 30 sparks

Please do rethink about a real dodge like i mentioned before

No matter what we end up, you do great, thanks
  • jobsalotofworkjobsalotofwork Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 189 Arc User
    I would argue that CW and other classes always has the roles option it's more about magnitude. The amount varies based on spec/slotted encounters, and cw have an option to add leadership abilities via renegade or oppressor, but they don't lack in either role out of the box.

The SW has no leadership abilities out of the box near as I can tell.

Roles are outdated but what happens to a class when they have one role and they're not the best in it.
This discussion has been closed.