test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Developer Blog: The New Queues

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
Getting players together for queued content is a challenging problem, and the developers are always trying to make the experience easier and better.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9863283-developer-blog:-the-new-queues

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Comments

• wildfiredewildfirede Member Posts: 886 Arc User
    Can we please have the option for a private queue without the needed number of people for the instance?
    Like - me and my gf doing a 3 man instance just the two of us - without other players and bots being able to join.
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"
    zhentarim-warlock-companion

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
    plague-fire-weapon-enchant-r11-vs-r12
  • jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    So this is pretty much what we have in Star Trek Online... Was wondering why it wasn't set up like this from the start. Thanks for getting this in. Now port the gateway stuff over to STO for the Admiralty and Doffing... :smile:
    Morgan West - Oathbound Paladin
    Jonathan Lonehawk - Hunter Ranger
  • scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    It is sad to see you are pulling functionality for queuing with 10/25 people. I was looking forwards to that the most
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    The part at the bottom where it says Coming Soon
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • fuzzytek#2423 fuzzytek Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Looking forward to the experience of using it to know how well it'll be enjoyed. Seems to be a step in a good direction from the description.
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited March 2016

scathias said:

It is sad to see you are pulling functionality for queuing with 10/25 people. I was looking forwards to that the most

Now you can make a Queue Group with 25 of your closest friends, and fight Tiamat together!- where does it say it was pulled?
    Think he misunderstood the part about queue leaders not being able to arrange parties.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
    ofc it will, the #zerg tiamat those ppl sometimes joined and got a win - gone.
    The epic gorgon with 3*gold couse the other group is a premade - gone. Now the queues single players join will be mostly campfire huggers and bots :)
    Group or die it's the moto since strongholds.
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
  • dsn1118dsn1118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited March 2016

ofc it will, the #zerg tiamat those ppl sometimes joined and got a win - gone.

The epic gorgon with 3*gold couse the other group is a premade - gone. Now the queues single players join will be mostly campfire huggers and bots :)

This is my first MMORPG but werent MMOs about making ingame-friends,getting together under guilds,running contents with familiar people.We wouldnt have to be dealing with issues like campfire sitters,early leavers,leechers,trolls ruining raids if this was done when game was first released.I know new starters will face problems but there will be always parties/guilds looking for members to run easier dungeons with new people for fun.I enjoy running elol or VT with PUGs from time to time.I am sure there will be also others
  • eldeskaleldeskal Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Seems generally good. It will be nice to queue larger dungeons with all channel members, rather than having to try to sync entry with ~60% success rate.

You will be widening the gap between the "haves" and "have nots" with this change, though. Most of my Tiamat wins when I first entered WoD came from sneaking in with a 19k gear-score group (now 3k TIL) to get the occasional win. I hope you're aware that everyone 3k+ will now be queuing with only other 3k+ people from their respective channels, and those who have not reached 3k will have a very hard time winning this content in the complete vacuum of well-geared players that will result in the PUG queues.

Edit: I hope you'll seriously consider adding the ability to collect histograms of:
    1) the average TIL of the team entering the dungeon --- I predict this will become strongly bi-modal
    2) average team TIL for runs that win. --- I predict this will tend strongly toward the upper mode of (1).
    Between these, you should get a very clear overall picture; sadly, you'd have to look at individual's class x TIL to get a good picture for PVE balance, but that seems like its getting to be a bit much.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Is this thread title an Eddie Izzard reference, or is that just a coincidence?
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • kievitzkievitz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 260 Arc User
    why do you have run this content with 3k IL, or 3K IL zerg channels, tiamat can be won with much lesser IL than that. In the old days WoD zone chat used to be a place for tia advice, not anymore.

You can find videos how to run tia that are viable still today. Learning your toon is another thing.

Well no more pugging tia cos now i know i can get a tia/edemo team who does not stare IL, my guildies.
  • vemor1vemor1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    What about new ppl in game who want to play on pvp?
    In new mod, nobody invited to PT persons with low GS.
    Then ppl with low gs not improve on the equipment -> no baners, seals, glory etc...
    kievitz said:

why do you have run this content with 3k IL, or 3K IL zerg channels

Generally, the AD requirements in the game are such that people want to be very efficient in their farming. You _can_ win tiamat with a 2.2--2.5k team, but it's down to the wire, and not at all guaranteed. On the 6000th time you've run tiamat, you're just there for the drops, so people want to make sure they win (otherwise they just spent an hour on a bag of coins, an enchant shard, or if really lucky, a dragon egg)

• kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    I understand (I think) the thought behind this only applying to queues that are more than 5 people since you can always just team up - though you can't, for example, run a 5-person instance solo if you want since you can't create a private queue for those and run it.

The main bit of feedback I have is: Open this up to PvP. Allow us to create custom matches. Allow us to do guild-only pvp, both DOM and SH by setting up both teams. This is how it works in STO where you should have looked (if you didn't) for inspiration since it's been there for many years - long before Neverwinter was released.

On PvE instances - so what if someone wants to solo it? What's the big deal? If they can solo it, why not let them? You should provide the tools to all us to enjoy the game, not force feed us what YOU think is fun after all.

I can see potential for abuse in private PvP queues, it happens in STO too - though they've gotten it under control so you should mine that team for wisdom - they seem to have a disproportionate amount of the wisdom within Cryptic........ Weekly rewards rather than daily would be one good way to handle it - or simply not letting pvp daily rewards count on private queues. Then again - this would allow a lot of players who hate PvP Neverwinter (for all the reason you'd have to have lived under a rock for the last three years NOT to understand) to play PvP. Personally, I enjoy PvP until I'm steamrolled by a BiS team who also proceeds to swear and talk about my mother and pretend to hump my dead body until I respawn. On the other hand, matches with friends - when my guild has managed to get two teams in at the same time (hard to do, but possible with some coordination) have been the funnest PvP matches I've ever had.

Something to consider....
    kvet said:

Personally, I enjoy PvP until I'm steamrolled by a BiS team who also proceeds to swear and talk about my mother and pretend to hump my dead body until I respawn.

OMG if that doesn't perfectly sum up how non-BiS players see BiS PVP...
  • kievitzkievitz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 260 Arc User
    is the queue working as intended, when in que and people found(i think), it pops an accept and a decline bar, but when selecting accept nothing happens??? the bar just vanishes and the queue asks to join the selected queue again.
    kievitz said:

is the queue working as intended, when in que and people found(i think), it pops an accept and a decline bar, but when selecting accept nothing happens??? the bar just vanishes and the queue asks to join the selected queue again.

Think that happens when one of the other players declines (and based on something it either tries to find another or kicks you out of the queue)

• melkelzedekmelkelzedek Member Posts: 15 Arc User

Getting players together for queued content is a challenging problem, and the developers are always trying to make the experience easier and better.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9863283-developer-blog:-the-new-queues

Two days and 4 queues later and still cannot get into ndemo or edemo, never had a problem before, now I waste my time waiting just to sit there. This is only dungeon it seems to do that on have no problem with other queues.
  • sierrak85sierrak85 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    kievitz said:

Getting this too, except that I get leaver penalty when it kicks back to the selection queue.
  • sobobartek7sobobartek7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    The New Queues Are Very Bad, Yesterday I Waited 1Hour For PvP Domination. Older Design Was Better Than This One After Update. PLEASE Restore Older Design :(
  • eucha10eucha10 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    The new queue is not working for me on PC...the box to accept closes immediately without letting me click it. Can someone help me solve this issue?
  • phyllodephyllode Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I agree with the detractors. I am 1.9k OP and trying to gain AD and Protector's seals to gear up. Running dungeons and skirmishes is the only way to do this efficiently. In the old queue system, no problem getting random teams together with players of different abilities. Now, I'm relegated to being a campfire hugger while I get rejected for solo queues. I thought I left that kind of smirking rejection party behind when I got out of middle school. Thanks for making me feel like an awkward teenager again.
  • theflowerbottheflowerbot Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I liked it when epic skirmish or dungeon parties could have a cleric and a pally, or 2 pallies, means I had a chance to survive while levelling up my wizard, now we can't do that??? Main reason my friend and I made an alt cleric and a pally each, so we could help the weaker ones in our guild to get through, waste of hmm how many hours?
    Before you jump to judge me, know this - I was called flowerbot long before I started playing Neverwinter.
  • usatausata Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    İt's just hell for solo players and players below 3k. İf we dont have a group we cant find demo-edemo-tiamat v.s. Even for tuern-lost we have to wait allmost 2 hours and fail because we need 1 tank 1 dc 3 dps. And if you are starter you have to forgot making seal's or ad because there is no place in dungeon group for you. İts a terrible system. İf i am 3.5k gwf i dont need tank for tuern. İf i am 3.5k paladin i dont need dc. You can make group system and that's good but for solo players give back our old system.

I liked it when epic skirmish or dungeon parties could have a cleric and a pally, or 2 pallies, means I had a chance to survive while levelling up my wizard, now we can't do that??? Main reason my friend and I made an alt cleric and a pally each, so we could help the weaker ones in our guild to get through, waste of hmm how many hours?

Ok I now see you can make the queue 'private' and have whoever you want, but then you'd have to get the full quota yourself, no randomness allowed in that scenario. That's a relief, but still more work than I'm used to.

Before you jump to judge me, know this - I was called flowerbot long before I started playing Neverwinter.
    usata said:

İt's just hell for solo players and players below 3k. İf we dont have a group we cant find demo-edemo-tiamat v.s. Even for tuern-lost we have to wait allmost 2 hours and fail because we need 1 tank 1 dc 3 dps. And if you are starter you have to forgot making seal's or ad because there is no place in dungeon group for you. İts a terrible system. İf i am 3.5k gwf i dont need tank for tuern. İf i am 3.5k paladin i dont need dc. You can make group system and that's good but for solo players give back our old system.

Agreed - my tiny guild never has enough people on at the same time to take advantage of any of the new stuff, and random queuing just got a whole lot harder for solo or groups of 2 or 3.

• ezedozezedoz Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    its broken still after 3 patches.

Please test you stuff before going live.
  • boundaryriderboundaryrider Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5 Arc User
    The new queue system is totally broken for me.
    Everytime I queue for PvP I get the accept pop up, but when I accept I get kicked out, and get a 5 minute penalty on everything.
    EDemo - I can't even queue for it. I am locked out . It says I don't meet the requirements. Oh really? then how come I did it 50+ times before this new system was implemented.
    This new queue system is a very bad joke. A week after its introduction its full of bugs.
    Was it ever tested ?.
  • sanpedrocactussanpedrocactus Member Posts: 67 Arc User

But...they didn't. They fully implemented a broken system. A ton of people cannot cue and you guys don't seem to be offering any positive solutions or fixes. Result: you're loosing a flood of players again. Seriously, entire guilds r getting frustrated and leaving. I really wish I were making this up, but I'm not. If you guys really like your jobs, I'd get serious about fixing this. IT IS A PROBLEM!
  • weaver936weaver936 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 443 Arc User

GOOOD.... Soloists (Pugs) have been the WORST aspect of this game since I started playing in Mod 3. The Only reason I left NW at the end of Mod 5 was because Guilds were essentially pointless and useless... the ONLY reason I came back was because SH showed promise to make a guild meaningful and guilds could now do something together that now lasted indefinitely. The new Que system is AWESOME for the simple fact that if you have a guild that CAN que for Tiamat 100% internally.. then your guild truly is something special (or just a collection of Zergers/Pugs, but good luck keeping your sanity in that kinda guild, lol).

There should be the capacity to solo que or small group que.. yes.. but there SHOULD NOT be a situation where quality players are FORCED to run with FREELOADERS like the previous Que system caused.

The BEST and ONLY long lasting attraction to a game is the quality of community (guild or whatever) that is present in your gaming experience and the relationships established in them. Thank God the Devs are smart enough to realize that and have started to support Guilds and Custom Channels that have known it and done something about it from early on.
    “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!”

― Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

Guild Leader of Ardent Justice HQ: Always recruiting People not Pixels.

FOUNDER and OWNER of the SKT3K Channel: SKT Only Content 3k+. http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228278/skt-content-for-the-non-elite-video-links-provided